Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,121 members, 7,811,155 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos (1264 Views)

Ojo Emmanuel, The Blogger Arrested In Ogun State (Photos) / 103 Illegal Immigrants Arrested In Kaduna, Face Deportation / 20 Illegal Immigrants Arrested In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by Ikwokrikwo: 3:40pm On Jul 12, 2014

The Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, Lagos State Command, on Friday said that it arrested more than 200 suspected irregular immigrants in a week. The Comptroller of Immigration in charge of the command, Julius Ogbu, gave the figure while briefing journalists in Lagos. He described as unfounded, the rumour that the
arrest focused on northern Nigerians resident in the state. The NIS and other security agencies including the police had, in separate operations last week, made some arrests in a bid to prevent terrorists from attacking the state. Mr. Ogbu said that the suspects would be screened at the NIS detention centre to ascertain their nationalities, check their travel documents and purposes of visit, before deciding their fate.

The immigration chief said that the arrest was done randomly without knowing the actual identity of those involved. According to him, about 110 suspected irregular immigrants had earlier been deported to their various countries mostly within the West Coast. He said that the NIS notified embassies before embarking on the operation to enable them inform their nationals who had not regularised to go back to their countries to do so. Mr. Ogbu did not say any of the suspects was arrested with a weapon.
www.today.ng/news/immigration-officials-arrest-200-irregular-immigrants-in-lagos/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 12, 2014
I didn't see "northerners" in the news.

Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2014
Adeoba10: Thunder strike ur future

grin
Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by Ikwokrikwo: 4:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
They don't have to spell NORTHERNERS clearly for you guys to know that those arrested were northerners.
1. They said the arrests were part of moves to prevent a terrorist attack in Lagos.
2. They said they were foreigners, but they didn't know their identity or nationality.
How did they conclude they were foreigners without knowing their identity and nationality?
I put 2 and 2 together and concluded they were northerners, I can swear by anything to that eFFect
Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by EmeeNaka: 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
this very act is unconstitutional. The people arrested are being held for committing no offence as they are Nigerians and have the right to reside anywhere they wish. They should be released immediately to avoid backlash from North as it will be hell for the Yorubas if they are attacked in Kano afterall a yoruba man was caught last year planting bomb in Kano and that did not lead to massive arrest of South westerners.

3 Likes

Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by SporaD8: 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2014
EmeeNaka: this very act is unconstitutional. The people arrested are being held for committing no offence as they are Nigerians and have the right to reside anywhere they wish. They should be released immediately to avoid backlash from North as it will be hell for the Yorubas if they are attacked in Kano afterall a yoruba man was caught last year planting bomb in Kano and that did not lead to massive arrest of South westerners.
EmeeNaka the NIS chief, since you know so much about the suspects, why not go help produce their particulars and effect their release instead of wasting time ranting on a faceless forum?

4 Likes

Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by ojimbo(m): 7:45pm On Jul 12, 2014
Northern nigeria,
Re: 200 Irregular Immigrants Arrested In Lagos by Chanchit: 7:58am On Jul 19, 2014
Ikwokrikwo: They don't have to spell NORTHERNERS clearly for you guys to know that those arrested were northerners.
1. They said the arrests were part of moves to prevent a terrorist attack in Lagos.
2. They said they were foreigners, but they didn't know their identity or nationality.
How did they conclude they were foreigners without knowing their identity and nationality?
I put 2 and 2 together and concluded they were northerners, I can swear by anything to that eFFect

I can see that ur foolish thread has been locked.
I have no reason to lie, everything I said is 100% true, but I have to show maturity by not dragging issues with you, the first mistake I made was replying ur foolish thread, after going through your profile, I discovered that you have nothing better to do than to hate, all your threads has been tribal issues.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Ex Abia Governor Fingers Over Dimgba Igwe's Mysterious Death / Obasanjo Offered To Support Buhari If He Dropped Me For NOI –tunde Bakare / Tambuwal: Hon Patrick View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.