Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract (18822 Views)

Three Players Keshi Should Drop For South Africa Clash / Do You Still Say Keshi Should Go ? / List Uncapped in-form Players Keshi Should Call-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Fulaman198(m): 5:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
dabossman:

What did the same Iran coach, Carlos Quieroz achieve when he had better players in the Portugal team he coached? Iran achieved nothing at this World Cup other than park the bus. Is that the kind of football you want us to play?

And as far as sitting is concerned, Aime Jacquet who coached France to win the World Cup in 98 rarely stood up from the bench. Joachim Loew yesterday sat through most of the game while Sabella stood almost throughout. Scolari was standing and barking instruction for the most of 90mins, yet Brazil still got annihilated by Holland.

Keshi doesn't claim to be the best coach in the world, but Nigeria is also not a power-house in global football. Let's stop deluding ourselves that we are.

We were powerhouses in global football, what's wrong with wanting to go back to being such? You make some valid points, but we should never settle for low standards. Our only goal should be to win.

Italy, Spain and England are no longer good, but I highly doubt they will be complacent with where they are at. We need to start looking for the next Okocha, Oliseh, Ikpeba, Finidi, Taribo, Babangida, Babayaro, Amunike, Amokachi, Lawal, Adepoju, etc. for tomorrow. We need to aim for the best.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 5:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
Fulaman198:

I agree with you wholeheartedly and I guess my biggest problem with Keshi is just his attitude and boastfulness, nothing else. We are taught to be humble and not boastful in Nigeria.

NFF is definitely the main culprit here. I don't think any sensible person will deny that. One thing really impressed me about the Dutch this world cup. They seem to have 2 goalkeepers for different situations (their main goalie who plays the 90 minutes plus over time if needed) and a goalkeeper whose sole purpose is block goals during a penalty kick shootout.

The NFF is so disorganised that I don't know where to begin. I am very happy it was disbanded. New people are needed though that are not as incompetent, greedy and corrupt.

Well, you really can't say that all Nigerians are humble. Coaches have their philosophies and style. Mourinho can also be boastful and crass when he chooses to be and always courts controversy. Alex Ferguson never backed down for any player no matter how good you were, sometimes to the detriment of the team. There was an Argentine coach who insisted that all his players must cut their hair short. He dropped Claudio Cannigia from his World Cup squad because the player refused to cut his hair.

The Dutch goalis stuff is not new. Enyimba's Okey Emordie did the same thing when Enyimba won CAF Champions League. Enyeama keeps for the full game, then they substitute him for Dele Aiyenugba once penalties are looking likely and it always worked.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 14, 2014
Talking about barking instructions on the touch line

Did anyone notice that Chilean coach?

Jorge Sampioli was one of the best tacticians at the World Cup!

Why do defensive midfielders make great coaches?

We need to re-organise our local league and let the likes of Oliseh and Garba Lawal follow the example of Mutui Adepoju and show their coaching skills in our local league.

So that when we need a new super eagles coach we can go to local league to select one

Keshi is Nigeria's most successful indigenous coach. Does that make him a great coach? Not really. Keshi has charisma and has tried in terms of giving opportunity to local players and youth. I will like to see Keshi carry on but do I thing he is a tactical coach? Not really!
He is very slow in reading the game and deficient in his tactical awareness. That said he has done a decent job but should carry on in a humble way.

Oliseh can be appointed as technical assistant to Keshi. He too must do his job quietly and realise that the head coach may not always agree with him

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
Fulaman198:

We were powerhouses in global football, what's wrong with wanting to go back to being such? You make some valid points, but we should never settle for low standards. Our only goal should be to win.

Italy, Spain and England are no longer good, but I highly doubt they will be complacent with where they are at. We need to start looking for the next Okocha, Oliseh, Ikpeba, Finidi, Taribo, Babangida, Babayaro, Amunike, Amokachi, Lawal, Adepoju, etc. for tomorrow. We need to aim for the best.

I agree with you; the key word being "were". But we are not anymore and most times it takes time to get there, but Nigerians are not patient. Rather than address the fundamental issues, we sack coaches. Look at the countries you mentioned, only Italy have showed some consistency. Spain were known as perennial underachieves for many decades until they finally built a golden generation that ruled European and world football for about 6 years. England have not won any tournament since 1966 even with a better football system than we have.

Compare the players you mentioned above with today's generation. They are not in the same league. These are players who were signed by clubs like Ajax, PSG, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Chelsea and so on. Today what we have is CSKA Moscow, Dynamo Kiev, Fernabache, Rizaspur, Kiriaspor, and all sorts of "spors", Ashdod, etc. When was the last time a Nigerian player was signed by a big club? Maybe Victor Moses moving to Chelsea from Wigan?

We need to address the real issues and stop sacking coaches. Siasia is a good coach who did well at U20 and the Olympics. Just one screw up and we fired him. Under Keshi, I have seen Nigeria play good football against teams like Uruguay, Italy, Argentina and France, even with these average players. Let's stop expecting to win every match and every tournament.

Why not hire a coach and give him an 8-10 year blueprint. We want to win the World Cup in Qatar 2022 or at least make the semis. Then begin to plan. Scout for young players, let them progress from U-13 to senior level. Monitor them at club level. Mix and mash over a generation till you get the perfect blend. Let's develop a footballing philosophy or style we want to play and stick to it over a period of time. After all some people developed total football, tiki-taka and the likes

I'm not particular about Keshi. I just know that sacking coaches in not the answer. It took Joachim Low 8 years and about four tournaments to finally win a trophy.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by MegMich(m): 5:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
tonytony208:
Do you realize that keshi had only spent about 2 years with this team? So, you were expecting him to win WC within 2 years of his being in charge? What is actually bitting you? Is it his inability to win WC or his failure to take your own golden boy ike uche to WC? Am certain you would be one of those condemning his choice of babatunde, but didn't babatunde prove why he meritted inclusion? This to me means the coach knows what he is doing. If keshi is given a completely free hand to handle the team, am certain he will perform wonders. Let me ask you this: if keshi wins the nation's cup back to back, where will you hide your face? Or will you put it down to luck or happenstance like you have been doing with all his glaring successes? Or maybe you will come up and say it is just nation's cup and therefore it is nothing important or serious. Mr, learn to appreciate your fellow black. Stop acting like a former minister of health, who condemned abalaka because the later said he had discovered the cure for HIV.

My dear! Is it not obvious Keshi has under achived. Safe for the referee, we won't have made the round of 16.
No doubt he's done QUITE well, I still put it down to LUCK.
He's spent 2years so what What of VanGaal, Sabella, not to talk of Mourinho who has performed consistently!
Consistency is the name of the game. If you ask me, he's in the same league as Chelsea's Di matteo, Avram Grant to mention but a few. He's no where near class.
He aided Togo in their world cup quest....what happened afterwards? They couldn't even scale through the group stage of the nations cup @ Egypt 2006. What happened when he headed Mali? Same story.
Luckly, NFF employed him. He handed us the Nations cup. So what? The games we played through luck.
Nigeria @ CHAN couldn't send a depleted Ghanian team packing.
@ confed cup,we only managed to beat give away Tahiti.
A group Arsene Wenger predicted we did emerge from...all thanks to the ref. and spirit of professionalism of Bosnia. He clamed Iran build a wall in front of Goal. What an excuse! How did Argentina and Bosnia break it? Excuses!!!
We saw this coming tho!!! Didn't win any of our preparatory games.
Nigeria a mediocre team? Yeah, just maybe. Look @ Costarica Algeria etc are they any better?
Blamed the loss to Argentina to respect!!! Yeah,just like Costarica respected the likes of Italy,Uruguay...EXCUSES.
He blamed it on in-experience. Hmmmmmm!, Colombia is huh?
Keshi abeg take your trade elsewhere.
What ain't good for Mali and Togo is definately not good for Nigeria.
I rep Naija!
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2014

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
MegMich:

My dear! Is it not obvious Keshi has under achived. Safe for the referee, we won't have made the round of 16.
No doubt he's done QUITE well, I still put it down to LUCK.
He's spent 2years so what What of VanGaal, Sabella, not to talk of Mourinho who has performed consistently!
Consistency is the name of the game. If you ask me, he's in the same league as Chelsea's Di matteo, Avram Grant to mention but a few. He's no where near class.
He aided Togo in their world cup quest....what happened afterwards? They couldn't even scale through the group stage of the nations cup @ Egypt 2006. What happened when he headed Mali? Same story.
Luckly, NFF employed him. He handed us the Nations cup. So what? The games we played through luck.
Nigeria @ CHAN couldn't send a depleted Ghanian team packing.
@ confed cup,we only managed to beat give away Tahiti.
A group Arsene Wenger predicted we did emerge from...all thanks to the ref. and spirit of professionalism of Bosnia. He clamed Iran build a wall in front of Goal. What an excuse! How did Argentina and Bosnia break it? Excuses!!!
We saw this coming tho!!! Didn't win any of our preparatory games.
Nigeria a mediocre team? Yeah, just maybe. Look @ Costarica Algeria etc are they any better?
Blamed the loss to Argentina to respect!!! Yeah,just like Costarica respected the likes of Italy,Uruguay...EXCUSES.
He blamed it on in-experience. Hmmmmmm!, Colombia is huh?
Keshi abeg take your trade elsewhere.
What ain't good for Mali and Togo is definately not good for Nigeria.
I rep Naija!

Guy you are funny o. do you know that the same Van Gaal coached Netherlands between 2000-2002 and failed to qualify them for the World Cup in South Korea/Japan 2002. He was also fired at Bayern Munich for coming 4th in the league, even though he won the league a season before. What of Mourinho, hasn't he been fired before even after winning the league back-to-back for Chelsea? So Keshi got fired after qualifying Togo for the World Cup? Big deal. He won the Nations Cup at the third attempt with his third team. That is not a strange thing.

And then you talk about the referees decision against Bosnia like football is mathematics. Who says we still couldn't have won even if the goal counted? Besides, is it only Nigeria that got lucky with a wrong call at this World Cup? What about the calls that went against us? Did we not get a goal against Iran cancelled? Did they not cancel Emenike's debatable goal against France? Did you not see a clear penalty waved away when Osaze was been given a bear-hug in the six-yard box? Or you didn't witness the Onazi tackle that was a clear red card?

You rep Naija from the comfort of your living room. You really are funny. Do you rep Naija more than Keshi who has served this country as player and coach and won us laurels as player and coach. I'd rather have Keshi's luck than Berti Vogts and Lars Lagerback's expertise.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Fulaman198(m): 6:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
dabossman:

I agree with you; the key word being "were". But we are not anymore and most times it takes time to get there, but Nigerians are not patient. Rather than address the fundamental issues, we sack coaches. Look at the countries you mentioned, only Italy have showed some consistency. Spain were known as perennial underachieves for many decades until they finally built a golden generation that ruled European and world football for about 6 years. England have not won any tournament since 1966 even with a better football system than we have.

Compare the players you mentioned above with today's generation. They are not in the same league. These are players who were signed by clubs like Ajax, PSG, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Chelsea and so on. Today what we have is CSKA Moscow, Dynamo Kiev, Fernabache, Rizaspur, Kiriaspor, and all sorts of "spors", Ashdod, etc. When was the last time a Nigerian player was signed by a big club? Maybe Victor Moses moving to Chelsea from Wigan?

We need to address the real issues and stop sacking coaches. Siasia is a good coach who did well at U20 and the Olympics. Just one screw up and we fired him. Under Keshi, I have seen Nigeria play good football against teams like Uruguay, Italy, Argentina and France, even with these average players. Let's stop expecting to win every match and every tournament.

Why not hire a coach and give him an 8-10 year blueprint. We want to win the World Cup in Qatar 2022 or at least make the semis. Then begin to plan. Scout for young players, let them progress from U-13 to senior level. Monitor them at club level. Mix and mash over a generation till you get the perfect blend. Let's develop a footballing philosophy or style we want to play and stick to it over a period of time. After all some people developed total football, tiki-taka and the likes

I'm not particular about Keshi. I just know that sacking coaches in not the answer. It took Joachim Low 8 years and about four tournaments to finally win a trophy.

I agree with you, it does take time, it is not something that happens overnight. I agree with everything you said in the bolded. Sacking coaches is not the long term solution. Though I wish Siasia would come back, he had a good demeanor. The problem is with our football programme. The reason why England is perennially overrated is due to their immensely strong league (diluted and comprised mainly of foreigners).

The NFF can do much better, but part of it stems from politics. The politics within the NFF is in correlation to how our nation's politics are doing. That's the issue. Like our nation, there is a lot of corruption within the NFF. There is a lot of disorganisation. There is a lot of dishonesty. We need to address those things before establishing a strong programme that will continue to grow over years.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
Talking about Keshi

The vibes I got from Keshi seems he encouraged the money/bonus protest by our players in the middle of the World Cup

Oliseh even endorsed the attitude

But why will any coach seriously thinking of semi finals of the World Cup encourage this kind of behaviour?
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by MegMich(m): 6:42pm On Jul 14, 2014
dabossman:

Guy you are funny o. do you know that the same Van Gaal coached Netherlands between 2000-2002 and failed to qualify them for the World Cup in South Korea/Japan 2002. He was also fired at Bayern Munich for coming 4th in the league, even though he won the league a season before. What of Mourinho, hasn't he been fired before even after winning the league back-to-back for Chelsea? So Keshi got fired after qualifying Togo for the World Cup? Big deal. He won the Nations Cup at the third attempt with his third team. That is not a strange thing.

And then you talk about the referees decision against Bosnia like football is mathematics. Who says we still couldn't have won even if the goal counted? Besides, is it only Nigeria that got lucky with a wrong call at this World Cup? What about the calls that went against us? Did we not get a goal against Iran cancelled? Did they not cancel Emenike's debatable goal against France? Did you not see a clear penalty waved away when Osaze was been given a bear-hug in the six-yard box? Or you didn't witness the Onazi tackle that was a clear red card?

You rep Naija from the comfort of your living room. You really are funny. Do you rep Naija more than Keshi who has served this country as player and coach and won us laurels as player and coach. I'd rather have Keshi's luck than Berti Vogts and Lars Lagerback's expertise.

Exactly my point!!! I still maintain that what ain't good for Mali and Togo will do us no good.
We are too good to entertain mediocrity.

The man doesn't even know what he wants...has resign twice only to claim he didn't say nothing.

Once bitten,twice shy.

Sack him till he's ready to perform like you clearly pointed out.

I still rep Naija

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 6:44pm On Jul 14, 2014
mikeansy: Talking about Keshi

The vibes I got from Keshi seems he encouraged the money/bonus protest by our players in the middle of the World Cup

Oliseh even endorsed the attitude

But why will any coach seriously thinking of semi finals of the World Cup encourage this kind of behaviour?

Bro, the question is why do African FA's allow for such scenarios in the first place? It wasn't only Nigeria, was it? Why is it difficult to give people what they are due? Why does the FA create room for such unnecessary distractions? Players go on the field to put their careers at risks and some officials are flexing with their family on tax payers money. Onazi injured an ankle. Babatunde broke a wrist. Echiejele missed out to injury, yet some peeps sit on their bonuses while enjoying a jamboree. The FA should be blamed, not the players.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 6:47pm On Jul 14, 2014
MegMich:

Exactly my point!!! I still maintain that what ain't good for Mali and Togo will do us no good.
We are too good to entertain mediocrity.

The man doesn't even know what he wants...has resign twice only to claim he didn't say nothing.

Once bitten,twice shy.

Sack him till he's ready to perform like you clearly pointed out.

I still rep Naija

Okay o! So, which coach do you know of that is 100% guaranteed to perform? By perform I'm assuming you mean win the World Cup, because if it is Nations Cup, that has already been done.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
dabossman:

Bro, the question is why do African FA's allow for such scenarios in the first place? It wasn't only Nigeria, was it? Why is it difficult to give people what they are due? Why does the FA create room for such unnecessary distractions? Players go on the field to put their careers at risks and some officials are flexing with their family on tax payers money. Onazi injured an ankle. Babatunde broke a wrist. Echiejele missed out to injury, yet some peeps sit on their bonuses while enjoying a jamboree. The FA should be blamed, not the players.

Please is there any evidence that the European players get paid all their allowance before the tournament?

Again why does a coach who claim to be serving his country and also claim to want to reach the semi finals encourage his own players to refuse to train in protest for bonus money just after qualifying from group?

Is it safe to say these african coaches and players have other priorities?
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 14, 2014
I don't see any difference when a coach instructs his players to protest in the middle of World Cup, or players who refuse to focus on the greater price of winning the World Cup but instead focus on bonus protest or a goal keeper who collects money from betting syndicates in order to throw the ball into his own net.

All of these group of people place precedence over their own pockets than the pride of their nation.

To be honest some of stephen Keshi conduct is disgraceful and he is masterfully using this contract noise to run away from accounting for some of the actions of his team.

I am open to stephen Keshi staying for now but certain flaws in our campaign and conduct of our campaign must be said if we are improve.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 10:41am On Jul 15, 2014
mikeansy: I don't see any difference when a coach instructs his players to protest in the middle of World Cup, or players who refuse to focus on the greater price of winning the World Cup but instead focus on bonus protest or a goal keeper who collects money from betting syndicates in order to throw the ball into his own net.

All of these group of people place precedence over their own pockets than the pride of their nation.

To be honest some of stephen Keshi conduct is disgraceful and he is masterfully using this contract noise to run away from accounting for some of the actions of his team.

I am open to stephen Keshi staying for now but certain flaws in our campaign and conduct of our campaign must be said if we are improve.

Pride of what nation? The same nation that lets past footballers who played for pride waste away as beggars? The same Nation that uses and dumps players in their hour of need after years of selfless service. The same nation with fans like you who rubbish the players in the twilight of their careers? You find it so convenient to accuse Ejide of a "crime" that he has not been indicted for, not to talk of being found guilty of. Your FA owed a coach who played for the same Nation from 1980 to 1994 for seven good months. The same player who literally sweated blood to earn us our 1st World Cup berth in far away Algeria back in 1993. Won us our first senior trophy in 19 years as coach.

Has Nigeria delivered the houses they promised the Eagles since 1994? That is how this "nation" rewards its heroes. Maradona led Argentina to a disastrous World Cup in 2010 but his people don't rubbish him for that.

European players don't have to worry about bonuses because they know what they will earn long before they step on the field. Players in most European leagues get paid on a weekly basis without fail, even African players. Then they come home, play three matches and not a dime is still paid to them. Sorry, but they are no longer used to such shoddy administrative processes.

Pride of the nation indeed. Only a shameless nation will owe it's workers for months on end without any scruples. Ask teachers, doctors and most public servants. Maybe they too should work for free?
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Davidolives(m): 10:46am On Jul 15, 2014
anybody that does not want him should take his post.

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 15, 2014
dabossman:

Pride of what nation? The same nation that lets past footballers who played for pride waste away as beggars? The same Nation that uses and dumps players in their hour of need after years of selfless service. The same nation with fans like you who rubbish the players in the twilight of their careers? You find it so convenient to accuse Ejide of a "crime" that he has not been indicted for, not to talk of being found guilty of. Your FA owed a coach who played for the same Nation from 1980 to 1994 for seven good months. The same player who literally sweated blood to earn us our 1st World Cup berth in far away Algeria back in 1993. Won us our first senior trophy in 19 years as coach.

Has Nigeria delivered the houses they promised the Eagles since 1994? That is how this "nation" rewards its heroes. Maradona led Argentina to a disastrous World Cup in 2010 but his people don't rubbish him for that.

European players don't have to worry about bonuses because they know what they will earn long before they step on the field. Players in most European leagues get paid on a weekly basis without fail, even African players. Then they come home, play three matches and not a dime is still paid to them. Sorry, but they are no longer used to such shoddy administrative processes.

Pride of the nation indeed. Only a shameless nation will owe it's workers for months on end without any scruples. Ask teachers, doctors and most public servants. Maybe they too should work for free?

Then why do we bother going?

Can't believe you can sit here supporting a bunch of sports people who pretend to be representing their nation but are really not doing so in actual sense?

The black man is truly the enemy to himself. So we appoint a Nigerian coach to go represent us and this is all we get?

You can live in denial all you like but the video evidence clearly shows that Ejide caught the ball and threw it into his own goal. The video evidence is there for all to see!

And quite frankly considering that Ejide did not select himself for that match and the conduct of Keshi and his crew instigating this bonus row you have to question if members of our technical team are involved in the Ejide crime!

I will say it as many times as possible. Footballers can not go on the world stage to defraud the country they claim to represent only to expect fans to support them. If they can't honestly represent their country like others do then they should focus in their club career and leave the national team for those willing to be committed!

As imperfect as the country may be there are soldiers who die in defence if this country for far lesser pay. If rich footballers can not be disciplined enough to represent us on national stage then let's not even bother taking part on national competitions!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2014
mikeansy:

Can't believe you can sit here supporting a bunch of sports people who pretend to be representing their nation but are really not doing so in actual sense?

The black man is truly the enemy to himself. So we appoint a Nigerian coach to go represent us and this is all we get?

You can live in denial all you like but the video evidence clearly shows that Ejide caught the ball and threw it into his own goal. The video evidence is there for all to see!

And quite frankly considering that Ejide did not select himself for that match and the conduct of Keshi and his crew instigating this bonus row you have to question if members of our technical team are involved in the Ejide crime!

I will say it as many times as possible. Footballers can not go on the world stage to defraud the country they claim to represent only to expect fans to support them. If they can't honestly represent their country like others do then they should focus in their club career and leave the national team for those willing to be committed!

As imperfect as the country may be there are soldiers who die in defence if this country for far lesser pay. If rich footballers can not be disciplined enough to represent us on national stage then let's not even bother taking part on national competitions!

Please show me proof that he instigated the row or stop peddling "dem say, dem say" rumours. Where you in the camp in Brazil? Did you witness Keshi instigating anything? And has FIFA indicted Ejide? I think you are the one who likes to revel in unproven conspiracy theories just to pull your fellow man down. I bet if Ejide was the one who conceded a late goal in the finals like Romero, you would have shouted match-fixing. Maybe Enyeama fixed for Messi to score that free kick against him too.

The same sports people who served their country for upwards of 15 years. Who brought smiles to the faces of Nigerians at Tunisia 94, USA 94, Atlanta 96, South Africa 2013. They are the same sports men that your like ridicule once the going is not good and accuse of all sorts of falsehood. Your likes booed Yekini out of the Eagles saying he was spent; ridiculed Oliseh and Finidi out of the national team for leading a similar bonus row. Your likes insulted Okocha when we failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup. Too many players sent into early national team hiatus before their time. But years down the line you begin to cry "Oh, if only we had another Oliseh, Finidi or Okocha". Yet you ridiculed them and labelled them Super Chickens in their time. What kind of fans do that?

A problem has prevailed over several generations of players, and you still think the players are the problem. Are you even witnessing the mess going on in the NFF at the moment? Is that how FA's around the globe operate? Are those causing the mess that has led to Fifa suspending us doing it for the good of Nigerians? Or you think the players and coaches are blind to all of this? The next Nations Cup where we are supposed to be defending our trophy is barely 6 months away and the Fa is not think of preparing. But fans like you will make the coach (Keshi or whoever they appoint) the scapegoat if we fail and pour all sorts of vitriol on them.

And as for the soldiers you mentioned, have you wondered why some of them have been alleged to give weapons to criminals and terrorists? Have you wondered why they don't respond to distress calls sometimes? Did you not read about the mutiny in a barracks in Borno?

Get real bro. Nobody likes to play the fool, national pride or not.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by MegMich(m): 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2014
mikeansy:

Soooooo true!
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by MegMich(m): 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2014
dabossman:

Please show me proof that he instigated the row or stop peddling "dem say, dem say" rumours. Where you in the camp in Brazil? Did you witness Keshi instigating anything? And has FIFA indicted Ejide? I think you are the one who likes to revel in unproven conspiracy theories just to pull your fellow man down. I bet if Ejide was the one who conceded a late goal in the finals like Romero, you would have shouted match-fixing. Maybe Enyeama fixed for Messi to score that free kick against him too.

The same sports people who served their country for upwards of 15 years. Who brought smiles to the faces of Nigerians at Tunisia 94, USA 94, Atlanta 96, South Africa 2013. They are the same sports men that your like ridicule once the going is not good and accuse of all sorts of falsehood. Your likes booed Yekini out of the Eagles saying he was spent; ridiculed Oliseh and Finidi out of the national team for leading a similar bonus row. Your likes insulted Okocha when we failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup. Too many players sent into early national team hiatus before their time. But years down the line you begin to cry "Oh, if only we had another Oliseh, Finidi or Okocha". Yet you ridiculed them and labelled them Super Chickens in their time. What kind of fans do that?

A problem has prevailed over several generations of players, and you still think the players are the problem. Are you even witnessing the mess going on in the NFF at the moment? Is that how FA's around the globe operate? Are those causing the mess that has led to Fifa suspending us doing it for the good of Nigerians? Or you think the players and coaches are blind to all of this? The next Nations Cup where we are supposed to be defending our trophy is barely 6 months away and the Fa is not think of preparing. But fans like you will make the coach (Keshi or whoever they appoint) the scapegoat if we fail and pour all sorts of vitriol on them.

And as for the soldiers you mentioned, have you wondered why some of them have been alleged to give weapons to criminals and terrorists? Have you wondered why they don't respond to distress calls sometimes? Did you not read about the mutiny in a barracks in Borno?

Instilling discipline is the hallmark of good managerial prowess;as such keshi is directly or indirectly invovled. Besides,we need no evidence to prove his involvement in such demeaning act. He's always been after NFF's purse. Need not talk of how the Siasia led team that came second against the Messi led team. NFF cared less until the team started doing well. Now you draw against Iran and hey!, I've to be paid.
Yeah!! No one wants to be fooled and as such our mediocre players must get their reward while in active football career. No wonder we abandon them afterwards. What have they really done for the masses. When it comes to Africa, it's always a case of what the country can do for us. Pathetic! Check the likes of Iniesta, C.Ronaldo even the Algerian team. Haba!!! Naija players nawa. English men would love to pay to be selected. Falcao,Ribery,Walcot etc cried fervently when it dawned on them they may not represent their father land. In Nigeria you pray you're selected either to hold the country to ransom or better still find a club that pays.

You only complain of not receiving when you've given.
I rep Naija
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 4:47pm On Jul 15, 2014
MegMich:
Instilling discipline is the hallmark of good managerial prowess;as such keshi is directly or indirectly invovled. Besides,we need no evidence to prove his involvement in such demeaning act. He's always been after NFF's purse. Need not talk of how the Siasia led team that came second against the Messi led team. NFF cared less until the team started doing well. Now you draw against Iran and hey!, I've to be paid.
Yeah!! No one wants to be fooled and as such our mediocre players must get their reward while in active football career. No wonder we abandon them afterwards. What have they really done for the masses. When it comes to Africa, it's always a case of what the country can do for us. Pathetic! Check the likes of Iniesta, C.Ronaldo even the Algerian team. Haba!!! Naija players nawa. English men would love to pay to be selected. Falcao,Ribery,Walcot etc cried fervently when it dawned on them they may not represent their father land. In Nigeria you pray you're selected either to hold the country to ransom or better still find a club that pays.

You only complain of not receiving when you've given.
I rep Naija

It is obvious I'm talking to young people who don't know Stephen Keshi's history. I laugh in Greek. So, Keshi has not given to Nigeria right? The same Keshi that played for Nigeria when he was just a school boy. Do you think they were paying him bonuses in dollars then. I bet you were one of those rejoicing when we won the Nations Cup last year.

You guys mention countries where things work, where people don't even have to demand or go on strike to get what is rightfully theirs. Of course they will be willing to participate knowing fully well that what ever is due to them, they will get. Do English clubs owe players like they do in the Nigerian league? Have you heard that doctors went on strike in the UK, France, Spain, Germany or US recently? Have their University lecturers gone on strike recently? Do they have to beg for electricity or clean water?

The problem with Nigerians is that we have been so impoverished that we don't even know how to demand for our rights anymore. We are just too docile. We accept whatever handouts our leaders give to us. You think those players are demanding for their bonuses because they are hungry? No sir, they are only demanding that the FA do the right thing instead of embezzling what has been allocated to them.

Mr. I rep Naija, maybe you'd like to work in any Nigerian ministry of your choice without pay? I'm sure they'll gladly employ you. The PM can always pocket your salary, abi?
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 4:55pm On Jul 15, 2014
mikeansy: why does the NFF always find money to pay foreign coaches mega salaries but never able to pay Nigerian coaches on time even though the salaries of Nigerian coaches are no where near those of their foreign counterparts?

something don't quite add up here

@Mikeansy, have you been able to answer this question yet? It's been almost a year since you asked. wink
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by tonytony208(m): 5:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

His problem is his attitude. If you can not see that, then no offence to you man you are very blinded. He is about 20% of the problem, the other 80% is the NFF. I am talking about present day. Iran's coach illustrated that no matter what calibre of players you have, you can do quite well. I can tell you right now that if Nigeria had Iran's coach, or some other true tactician, no matter how bad Nigeria's squad had been, Nigeria would have performed better.

In most games, Keshi just sat down completely oblivious to the way his team was performing. Whenever there was a poor performance, he blamed everyone except himself. I don't like coaches like that. A good coach would take blame and discuss in details how he plans on improving for the next match instead of beating about the bush.

Keshi comes of as someone very brash and unprofessional and Nigeria is better off without him.

the only time i could remember keshi blaming his players was after the iran match when he said osaze didn't play according to instructions. Was there another time he blamed his players or are you stressing on that singular occasion to desperately shore up your unpopular opinion against keshi? Then you are just a pathetic hate-filled soul. This is not the first time coaches would blame players. Siasia did the same thing after eagles lost to Argentina in 2007 Olympic finals. I doubt if you brought this kind of thing up then; you that you are not blinded. I watched the matches and i could see there were several times keshi was on his feet shouting instructions to the players. So, where did you get your idea of keshi sitting down all through? It is surprising how much you have condescended, no thanks to the burning hate you have for keshi. Are you saying iran coach that came to pack bus would have done better than keshi? Mr, you are pathetic and hate-saturated. The only time the coach directed them to attack (against Bosnia), they conceded 3 goals. What could have possessed you to make such unreasonable comparison? Believe me, you need deliverance.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by tonytony208(m): 6:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

mr man, what is happening to your brain. Can't u use it reasonably for once? You started building a team in 2012 and you expect the team to have reached world standard after 2 years. You are already comparing the team to the likes of france, Argentina et al, who had been in the forefront of football since God-knows-when. Despite the fact the team started their rebuilding very late, they still won NC for you; i mean the same NC you couldnt qualify for in the previous edition. As far as any reasonable soul is concerned, performance against Argentina and France were world class performances, keeping in mind the team started out just 2 yrs ago. Some unusual and abnormal brain waves must touching in your brain for you to be expecting the team to beat Argentina or France. Mr, you are unreasonable!!!
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 15, 2014
dabossman:

@Mikeansy, have you been able to answer this question yet? It's been almost a year since you asked. wink

Not sure what you are getting at. I like to have a Nigerian coach and will still oppose any attempt by NFF to hire foreign coaches! But I also expect the Nigerian coaches to live up to expectation both in know how and in their conduct.

We did not campaign for a Nigerian coach to lead us to Brazil just so he can go there and instigate our players to embarrass us by protesting for bonuses in the middle of World Cup. We have all the time in the world after the World Cup to resolve money matters, why can't rich footballers work for the country and get paid at the end of the World Cup?

Where we all work we get paid at the end of the month, whether in civil service or public sector or private sector. Why can't rich footballers wait for the end of the month when the World Cup is over before making noise about money? why do we have to embarrass Nigeria just to make a point we can still make after the World Cup?

Stephen Keshi and all future Nigerian Coaches and players and NFF must stop this silly behaviour.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 15, 2014
dabossman:

Enyeama and Romero did not catch the ball and fling it into his own net.

The bonus row also happened ahead of the confederation cup. If Keshi played the role of honest broker it would not have reared it's ugly head again.

We can continue a situation where every tournament we have a bonus row either before or during the tournament.

Keshi can whip his players in line by threatening to drop any player who instigates a bonus row while also warning the NFF clearly of the consequence of not clarifying mode of payment of bonuses. The sports ministry is there, NFF can be reported after major tournaments rather than holding the country to ransom in the middle of the World Cup instead of focusing on football.

Keshi seems to be ok with these rows and goes the extra mile to defend players who refuse to train.

I understand the need for Keshi to be loyal to his players but concentration and defending the colours of the country is also important. This players need to find the balance.

People like George Weah funded his country with his own money just for the dream of playing in the World Cup. Drogba has invested a lot for Ivory Coast. Why can't Nigerian footballers be patriotic and just play? That's all we ask!
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 7:35pm On Jul 15, 2014
mikeansy:

Not sure what you are getting at. I like to have a Nigerian coach and will still oppose any attempt by NFF to hire foreign coaches! But I also expect the Nigerian coaches to live up to expectation both in know how and in their conduct.

We did not campaign for a Nigerian coach to lead us to Brazil just so he can go there and instigate our players to embarrass us by protesting for bonuses in the middle of World Cup. We have all the time in the world after the World Cup to resolve money matters, why can't rich footballers work for the country and get paid at the end of the World Cup?

Where we all work we get paid at the end of the month, whether in civil service or public sector or private sector. Why can't rich footballers wait for the end of the month when the World Cup is over before making noise about money? why do we have to embarrass Nigeria just to make a point we can still make after the World Cup?

Stephen Keshi and all future Nigerian Coaches and players and NFF must stop this silly behaviour.

My point is, just have you have pointed out, when the NFF need to arrange money to take care of their own vested interests, money is always available. But when it comes to paying players all we hear are stories. You speak as if you just arrived Nigeria last year. Experience is a great teacher. Many times the FA have reneged on pre-agreed bonus payments to Nigerian players, yet you expect them to continue to play the fool right. Go ask the ex-Falcons how much they are still being owed in match bonuses till date.

I do not support bonus rows at football tourneys, but when a country and its FA build a legacy of mistrust, that is what you get. Yes, they are rich footballers, but even rich people don't like to be played for a fool.

Again show me proof that Keshi instigated the bonus row. All you have done so far is make unsubstantiated claims. Keshi is the coach, but he can't exactly stop the players from talking to their FA. They are not babies. The problem is when ever Nigeria falls out of a tournament you lot are always looking for a scapegoat, and this time Keshi is it.

https://www.nairaland.com/474270/how-german-machine-built-bottom

I will suggest you go and read the above post again. After all you created the thread. That's how winning teams are built. All you lot do is scream sack. Sack Amodu, Sack Eguaveon, Sack Siasia, Sack Keshi. Now you people are clamouring for Oliseh. Then who next? Kanu, Finidi, Okocha? What is the essence of clamouring for a local coach if you won't give him the opportunity to build over time and learn from his mistakes. Nah, you all want the quick fix. Appoint a coach today and make him win the World Cup in 2-3 years. I hope you know the next Nations Cup is just 6 months away. So, what happens if your new coach fails to retain the title? Yeah, sack him too!
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
So the solution is for a bunch of players to sign up to play for Nigeria only to get to major tournaments and refuse to play.

When a player is called up they have a right to say NO!

If you turn up then play football and talk about money after! That's the norm all over the world!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by MegMich(m): 7:53pm On Jul 15, 2014
dabossman:

It is obvious I'm talking to young people who don't know Stephen Keshi's history. I laugh in Greek. So, Keshi has not given to Nigeria right? The same Keshi that played for Nigeria when he was just a school boy. Do you think they were paying him bonuses in dollars then. I bet you were one of those rejoicing when we won the Nations Cup last year.

You guys mention countries where things work, where people don't even have to demand or go on strike to get what is rightfully theirs. Of course they will be willing to participate knowing fully well that what ever is due to them, they will get. Do English clubs owe players like they do in the Nigerian league? Have you heard that doctors went on strike in the UK, France, Spain, Germany or US recently? Have their University lecturers gone on strike recently? Do they have to beg for electricity or clean water?

The problem with Nigerians is that we have been so impoverished that we don't even know how to demand for our rights anymore. We are just too docile. We accept whatever handouts our leaders give to us. You think those players are demanding for their bonuses because they are hungry? No sir, they are only demanding that the FA do the right thing instead of embezzling what has been allocated to them.

Mr. I rep Naija, maybe you'd like to work in any Nigerian ministry of your choice without pay? I'm sure they'll gladly employ you. The PM can always pocket your salary, abi?

Keshi given so much? Soooo true!!! Nigeria has rather given him a lot. A chance to represent us as a player, an employment opportunity even when we could employ better hands and considering he had no job after been sacked by Mali and Togo, and an opportunity to explore our talented nation which however yielded meagre nations cup amid several poor showings(a cup common Zimbabwe won with so much flare). One would point to the fact they defeated. CIV. Hellooo! Zimbabwe did same.
Can see what's special about Keshi. He's smartly diverted our attention to other issues while assessment of his performance is left in the lurch.
Big boss my foot! Several players have represented their nation in both capacities and have done well. He can't fool us anymore, save for the nations cup, he did be in the labour long ago. Now he's talking about taking his trade somewhere else.
We need to assess him, his poor tactis and selection skill. Seriously wondering why the likes of Ameobi, Moses and Mikel(both of who played less than a handful of match for their clubs),Agbim,yobo were selected!!!
With Keshi, we've seen enough to Know there no space for room improvement.
NFF let Keshi go!
I rep Naija
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 9:20pm On Jul 15, 2014
MegMich:

Keshi given so much? Soooo true!!! Nigeria has rather given him a lot. A chance to represent us as a player, an employment opportunity even when we could employ better hands and considering he had no job after been sacked by Mali and Togo, and an opportunity to explore our talented nation which however yielded meagre nations cup amid several poor showings(a cup common Zimbabwe won with so much flare). One would point to the fact they defeated. CIV. Hellooo! Zimbabwe did same.
Can see what's special about Keshi. He's smartly diverted our attention to other issues while assessment of his performance is left in the lurch.
Big boss my foot! Several players have represented their nation in both capacities and have done well. He can't fool us anymore, save for the nations cup, he did be in the labour long ago. Now he's talking about taking his trade somewhere else.
We need to assess him, his poor tactis and selection skill. Seriously wondering why the likes of Ameobi, Moses and Mikel(both of who played less than a handful of match for their clubs),Agbim,yobo were selected!!!
With Keshi, we've seen enough to Know there no space for room improvement.
NFF let Keshi go!
I rep Naija

Zimbabwe? So Zimbabwe have won the Nations Cup? That's the extent of your football knowledge? I won't waste my time with you. Go and employ your World Class coaches like Largerback and co. I'm sure they'll win the World Cup in 2018.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by dabossman(m): 10:02pm On Jul 15, 2014
mikeansy: So the solution is for a bunch of players to sign up to play for Nigeria only to get to major tournaments and refuse to play.

When a player is called up they have a right to say NO!

If you turn up then play football and talk about money after! That's the norm all over the world!

Stop talking about stuff you don't know. Each German player has just earned 650K pounds for winning the World Cup. USA promised their team a million dollars if they win. Even clubsides promise special bonuses at the beginning of the season to their players if they win the league, FA cup or UCL.

What stops the NFF from also saying we will pay you X amount and insisting that any player who doesn't agree should stay away? What stops them from introducing the much-talked about Code of Conduct that every player must sign? Or is that Keshi' job?

I'll tell you what is stopping them. The win at all cost mentality of peeps like you. If the NFF put their foot down, it is folks like you that will criticise the NFF for preventing your best legs from playing in the national team. After all, they tried it in 2002 and got blasted by Nigerians after we crashed out of the Korea/Japan world cup.

When Obasanjo introduced the "golden handshake" as reward for winning medals for the country, most of you criticised him and said he must reward with cash. Now you are complaining.
Re: Opinion: Keshi Should NOT Be Given A New Contract by Rossikki: 10:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
Keshi, NFF, and at least some of the SE players are corrupt. I suspect they took money from somewhere to fix their games so as to not go beyond the second round. Match fixing issues. There was so much more they could have done to qualify for the knockout stages and excel. From Enyeama to Keshi to NFF. They deliberately messed up in my view, for personal gain, and are not to be trusted by Nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2019 CAF Awards: Algeria Named African Men's National Team Of The Year / Enyeama Is Returning To The Super Eagles Squad - Coach Rohr / Canada Vs Morocco: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. (1 - 2) On 1st December 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 205
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.