Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,328 members, 7,954,326 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:46 PM

Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple (71325 Views)

Can Couple With Genotype AA & AS Give Birth To SS? / Wife Divorce Husband Because He Lied About His Genotype / Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Virgindove(f): 6:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
Am one of the luckiest souls on planet earth concerning issues of AS genotype as it relates to marital choice. Am a polygamist and a carrier of the sickle cell gene. This didn't prevent me from marrying two wives who are equally carriers. Being a biochemist i knew the risk i was about to take but my emotion wouldn't allow me to follow my brain. Today am a father of four kids,two from each woman and none is Sickler(SS). I might b lucky but u may not. Life itself is a risk. Marry 4 love not Genotype.

4 Likes

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
Virgindove: Am one of the luckiest souls on planet earth concerning issues of AS genotype as it relates to marital choice. Am a polygamist and a carrier of the sickle cell gene. This didn't prevent me from marrying two wives who are equally carriers. Being a biochemist i knew the risk i was about to take but my emotion wouldn't allow me to follow my brain. Today am a father of four kids,two from each woman and none is Sickler(SS). I might b lucky but u may not. Life itself is a risk. Marry 4 love not Genotype.

I don't believe in gambling with the life of a child. It is better to make an informed decision that will ensure none if the children will be SS. The preimplantation diagnosis is a very good option for those who have the funds , other options is to use IVF with donor eggs or sperm of someone who doesn't carry the gene or adoption. I see nothing wrong with those options after all even if you marry AA there is no guarantee that you would not have to do IVF if there are fertility problems. There are loads of AA couples who still have to do IVF so if you can afford it so why not.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by kaima1984(f): 8:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
My dear dnt think of marrying each other,my luvly neighbor is a sickler(fighter)he often get sick n finally he has kicked off,please stay off frm dat relationship bc is full of regrets
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by frebor(m): 10:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
arsetalks: They so far have 3 kids. 2 girls and one boy and have done the right thing. Put an end to production.

It is a common knowledge in my church and said person is a nairalander. The wife is a semi popular gospel art.

Thanks jare... Coincidentally, they are just like us too.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by bong4(m): 10:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
my dear op. Listen very well but you can make your decision. Obedience is better than sacrifice. I have lost two nieces in three years to sickle cell. It's no joke seeing kids die before you and there's nothing you can do. If you love yourselves, you'l want a healthy family. It can be stressful going on and out of hospital cos you were thinking of just yourselves. You'l only be doing panic and fear prayer. Let yourselves go. If you still choose to follow your heart.....i pray you still have cause to thank God tomorrow. Love.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by dude99(m): 10:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
All u guys are fools none of u are away of the latest medical solution to that very issue .poor Nigerians. so does that mean there is no medical student in this forum.

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by flyingdutchman(m): 12:13am On Jul 14, 2014
Don't mind the local Agbalumo heads! See their mouth like "My neighbour is suffering...I know a sickler...it is terrible...I advise you to..." They can't even check Google. Heck! Some won't even read people's reply, they'll just start typing their gibberish!
dude99: All u guys are fools none of u are away of the latest medical solution to that very issue .poor Nigerians. so does that mean there is no medical student in this forum.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by kelechiodo(m): 12:23am On Jul 14, 2014
englishmart: my uncle has 12children. How come non of them is a sickler?

Yea he is lucky. The same with my aunt. All the six kids are free from sickle cell. But the 7th was affected and died in infancy. That ended the quest for another preganancy
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Nobody: 12:45am On Jul 14, 2014
Genea: I was pitying dem na,am soft hearted oooo dats y I gave dem option,dnt make me cry naaaa
. aight... njoi, my future doc
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by bong4(m): 12:47am On Jul 14, 2014
dude99: All u guys are fools none of u are away of the latest medical solution to that very issue .poor Nigerians. so does that mean there is no medical student in this forum.

you can pass your comments or give a solution without being insultive. Please tell us the way out. Google may not give you over the counter solution and please in cases like this, personal experience is much more appreciated and convincing than academic theories or research. My personal experience wasn't fun others may have been lucky so if you have a ''100% and always working solution'' you and nairaland just might be a saviour to someone.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by flyingdutchman(m): 1:23am On Jul 14, 2014
bong4:

you can pass your comments or give a solution without being insultive. Please tell us the way out. Google may not give you over the counter solution and please in cases like this, personal experience is much more appreciated and convincing than academic theories or research. My personal experience wasn't fun others may have been lucky so if you have a ''100% and always working solution'' you and nairaland just might be a saviour to someone.
Chai! You lazy die! No wonder you resort to sneaking in paper into the exam hall! Just Google "PreImplantation Genetic Diagnosis process" How hard can it be Just ask the frigging Search Engine your question! You are like Jack in that Rhyme - "There's a hole in the bucket"
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by DBestDoc(f): 1:53am On Jul 14, 2014
flyingdutchman: Don't mind the local Agbalumo heads! See their mouth like "My neighbour is suffering...I know a sickler...it is terrible...I advise you to..." They can't even check Google. Heck! Some won't even read people's reply, they'll just start typing their gibberish!

You are here ranting, do you think that procedure is a walk in the park?
Do you know the financial and psychological commitment involved? Let's assume the Op is your brother, would you advice him to take the PGD route?

Why can't we avoid what can be avoided and deal with the unavoidable?

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by NobleG1(m): 8:45am On Jul 14, 2014
bigmodo: What options are available for a couple with the same A.S genotype so they wont produce S.S children, please assist us.

If you two are AS, there's a 50% chance that you'll have AA, AS and SS children. So my advice for you is to avoid having an SS child by marrying an AA person. That way you will have zero chance of having an SS child.

Trust me, the trouble that comes with an SS child is too much. It doesn't worth it if you can avoid it, which you can. About 90% of patients survive to age 20, and close to 50% survive beyond the fifth decade.

My parents are AS. 5 of my siblings were SS, of which 3 of them died from it, leaving my parents seriously heartbroken. Fortunately, the remaining two (twins) are adults now but are always on medications.

Prevention is better. It's better you end your relationship now than to intentionally bring children into this world to suffer serious health issues that will drain you both emotionally and financially.

[size=13pt]RULE[/size]
An AA person can marry AA or AS or even SS and will not have SS kids.
An AS should marry only an AA person to have AA and AS kids.
An SS should marry only an AA person to have AS kids.

If all Nigerians follow the above rule, there will not be SS kids in Nigeria.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by bong4(m): 9:41am On Jul 14, 2014
flyingdutchman:
Chai! You lazy die! No wonder you resort to sneaking in paper into the exam hall! Just Google "PreImplantation Genetic Diagnosis process" How hard can it be Just ask the frigging Search Engine your question! You are like Jack in that Rhyme - "There's a hole in the bucket"

Chief, i appreciate your remarks and google link. But do you think this your elitist mentality is for every body? How will those in the village with no access to internet and this education you claim to have even pronounce the preimplantation jargons you just recommended here? You think it is just walking into a chemist shop and getting panadol for headache. We need personal recommendation for a brother in distress and you are here recommending grammar. I know how much my sister spent in getting IVF and other medication to solve this problem all to know avail. Even the anxiety alone will not allow for ovulation. If that money was put into alternative uses, it could have been better. As if the OP has the time and money for all this grammer. Abeg i won't advice any one to put his or herself into undue stress. Obedience is better than sacrifice. If God has given us wisdom to avoid disaster, let us simply obey. Love may be blind but in marriage we have to open our eyes.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by flyingdutchman(m): 10:00am On Jul 14, 2014
DBestDoc:

You are here ranting, do you think that procedure is a walk in the park?
Do you know the financial and psychological commitment involved? Let's assume the Op is your brother, would you advice him to take the PGD route?

Why can't we avoid what can be avoided and deal with the unavoidable?
Ignorance...

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Javatar(m): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2014
xhero: LIVE TESTIMONY!!!....plz wots all dis talk abt? I come frm a family of 7 kids and only last 2 ended up being SS.howeva dey changed my perception abt SS coz I've always heard stories and seen other people's situations but in their case u'll hardly knw d difference.all they usually require is less stress and a regular dose of b-complex and folic acid.they r as strong and brilliant as ever.rarely fallin sick and always on d go.my younger brother is 28 and d last born is 22.these r people I live with and dey r my testimony to d world. I'm nt sayin every1 shld go all out to create such situations but its really nt as bad as most of ya'll really tink.thank God for a mum like mine...I'm AS by d way and is my wife ends up bein AS I certainly won't wory.
You guys are fortunate and im happy that your siblings do not suffer most of the problems persons with d SS gene go through. But honestly, most Sicklers do not have it so good so do not think that if u marry an AS lady ur kids would be just like ur siblings.
Beyond that are you aware that there are rare genotypes (AC, SC, AD etc) that are wrongly diagnosed as AS and SS? People with this rare genotypes may not suffer as much as SS. I wouldn't be surprised if one of ur parents is AC or AD.

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by draggie(f): 11:45am On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=bigmodo]What options are available for a couple with the same A.S genotype so they wont produce .S children, please assist us.[/quote
my advice to you is to just trust god.
my mum's younger brother and his wife are both as, they have four kids now and none is ss.
my best friend recently told me abt a lady in her church in abj, she is ss and her husband is as they have four kids all are as.
nobody wants to deliberately bring in a sick child into this world, but you don't tell ur heart who to love. it's a very difficult and painful decision, but then nothing is impossible for god to do. my uncle relied solely on god and god came thru for him, he is now a pastor at redeems, god bless u dear.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by generalissimo(m): 12:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Mynd44:
Why?

Isn't it funny that the same pastors that preach "Faith" and that "There is no situation that God can't change" are the ones writing this off? Is this a lack of Faith or a limitation of the abilities of "God"?

I believe God gave us the knowledge of medical science for our use and so we can make our lives better. He does not have to show up in our lives, he gave us knowledge so let's use it.

@OP,
IVF and/or Adoption

It is a lot better to have that and marry the person you love and you are happy with than leave that person and be miserable with the person you settle down with
If u talk of faith, then u have nothing to worry about again. Faith can move mountains. U can be rest assured that God will take care of u. My advice tell him what u want in your family and with faith, u are settled.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Abali1(m): 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
ameenahz:
IVF? Amniocentesis and subsequent termination of SS foetuses?

Op, please, i know it will not be easy, but it is safer if you do not go into such a marriage at all. I'm not being pessimistic, but you are asking for a lifetime of regrets.

My parents did the same and they are even not together anymore.

Where is Abali1
Amina you've already given him some advice. Whatever Abali says will not make any difference. Moreover this is a man with a free Will.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by niceluvsus(m): 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
Mynd44:
Why?

Isn't it funny that the same pastors that preach "Faith" and that "There is no situation that God can't change" are the ones writing this off? Is this a lack of Faith or a limitation of the abilities of "God"?

I believe God gave us the knowledge of medical science for our use and so we can make our lives better. He does not have to show up in our lives, he gave us knowledge so let's use it.

@OP,
IVF and/or Adoption

It is a lot better to have that and marry the person you love and you are happy with than leave that person and be miserable with the person you settle down with
..,, ,,,there's diving direction in faith.. if you want to go by The FAITH you claim,then you must hear from GOD specifically from Him,,,,lest you go by knowledge and look for another partner because Love is not blind
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Genea(f): 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
sexyexcalibur: . aight... njoi, my future doc
tnx deawie
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by ayobase(m): 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
Mynd44:

I believe God gave us the knowledge of medical science for our use and so we can make our lives better. He does not have to show up in our lives.........
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by DBestDoc(f): 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2014
flyingdutchman:
Ignorance...

Goodluck!
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by sirt1(m): 3:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
berem: If you are gonna have four kids,one of the kid is going to be a sickler. Two will be carriers and one normal:

AA AS AS SS

Its likely the fourth child will be the sickler but its not in all cases

The interpretation is not correct. Wot it simply means is that AT LEAST ONE OUT OF FOUR CHILDREN WILL BE SS. IN ORDER WORDS, TWO, THREE, OR ALL COULD BE SS.

So, the best thing is to avoid such marriage cos d love u claim now will not be able to hold d marriage wen the problem begins. Besides, it is an act of selfishness and such child/children will not forgive such parents. God gave all of us brain, so lets use it wisely.

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by sirt1(m): 3:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
lestat:

@OP if you are even considering this then you are an idiott!!!! i am so pissed whenever i see Nigerians asking this question!!! you know the truth yet its as if you are looking for someone to lie to you!!

Nigerians really are funny.. Its like a guy who constantly has unprotected sex asking what are his options against HIV!!!!!!

The only reason two mentally sane AS people would get married is because they are very wicked, selfish, sociopaths who care for no one but their self gratification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Face the reality and stop dreaming!! tomorrow after your child is suffering you will be going from church to church saying your enemy is afflicting you

angry

I WISH PPLE WILL USE THEIR BRAIN AND NOT BRING PAINS UPON UNBORN BABIES COS OF THEIR SELFISH INTEREST

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by NobleG1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 14, 2014
draggie:
my advice to you is to just trust god.
my mum's younger brother and his wife are both as, they have four kids now and none is ss.
my best friend recently told me abt a lady in her church in abj, she is ss and her husband is as they have four kids all are as.
nobody wants to deliberately bring in a sick child into this world, but you don't tell ur heart who to love. it's a very difficult and painful decision, but then nothing is impossible for god to do. my uncle relied solely on god and god came thru for him, he is now a pastor at redeems, god bless u dear.

What a st u pid advice! Stop that god nonsense. This is reality and not a child's play. Science told us how to avoid it and not by relying on some imaginary god in the sky you can't prove exists.

That the people you mentioned didn't have SS kids yet is just by luck. If they had continued having babies they will surelly have SS babies at some point!

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by sirt1(m): 3:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
ENDTIMES: I had the same experience when I wanted to marry, I was in love with an AS gal, but reason told me it's not an option as the fate of any sickle cell child produced from such union will hunt you forever.

I disengaged from the relationship and in less than 6 months God gave me an AA damsel, my wife today and the wisest decision I have ever taken in my life.

Faith in God is also about understanding when some things are not possible or meant for you and your ability not to waste your time on them, only then will the Almighty work his magic in your life!

Good decision u took there. I ended my 7yrs relationship cos of genotype issue. Though it was very painful to walk out of such relationship, but I must tell u, it was d best decision I took then. Today, she is happily married with twins and me too, with my adorable daughter.

WARNING: NO SANE AS's SHOULD MARRIED EACH OTHER. IT IS LIKE DELIBERATELY JUMP INTO WELL WEN NOBODY IS AROUND TO RESCUE YOU.

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by sirt1(m): 3:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
deavicky: you will never know till u feel the pain. Presently, I'm facing the same situation. I ve what takes to get another lady at anytime I want, but I still feel the pain of trying to break a relationship with the best girl I ve ever known just because of this AS stuff. Prey u shouldn't be in such situation.

As difficult as it may be to walk away from the relationship, I bet you, if u do, it will be the best decision u ever took in ur life.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by NobleG1(m): 4:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
Virgindove: Am one of the luckiest souls on planet earth concerning issues of AS genotype as it relates to marital choice. Am a polygamist and a carrier of the sickle cell gene. This didn't prevent me from marrying two wives who are equally carriers. Being a biochemist i knew the risk i was about to take but my emotion wouldn't allow me to follow my brain. Today am a father of four kids,two from each woman and none is Sickler(SS). I might b lucky but u may not. Life itself is a risk. Marry 4 love not Genotype.

Why are you a polygamist? This is 21st century!!

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by sirt1(m): 4:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
flyingdutchman: I read so so many comments from my fellow Nigerans and I could only reach one conclusion (sadly)- Nigerians don't do Research. We only hang on to information we had by chance over the 9'O Clock News. WHY DON'T YOU FOR ONCE MAKE USE OF GOOGLE Even Nigerian Medical Doctors are as ignorant as the Nigerians outside the Practice. I once had a debate with two Mdeical Doctors working in a Specialist Center, the result? They now have a broader perspective of things FOR 1.2 - 2.2 MILLION NAIRA, YOU CAN HAVE A CHILD, TWINS TRIPLETS AND EVEN QUADRUPLETS WHO ARE SICKLE-CELL FREE, IN JUST ONE SINGLE PGD PROCESS. THE REST OF THE EMBRYO FORMED CAN BE FROZEN FOR FUTURE USE Google "BOURNE PGD center", or MEDICAL ART CENTRE IKEJA, there are over 150 of such centers in the world today.
Stop deceiving yourselves with Permutations and Combinations. Oya, only the deep thinkers will appreciate this piece.

I strongly disagree with you. In as much as technology has advanced, dont forget the financial consequences. How many pple can pay 2million for wotever remedy available wen u can jejely avoid it. Stop deceiving pple and say the bitter truth.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by sirt1(m): 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2014
vict505: Well there are some solutions and the two solution that are commonly use now are :- 1 through IVF an 2 Evacuating and testing method. The evacuating method is a process where by the couple will go for test to know if the baby that the wife is carrying is SS or AS and once the baby is SS they will Evacuate the pregnancy and that is what that will keep on doing till they have AS or AA cos they both have chances of 25% of AA and AS while they both have 50% chances of SS.

Hmmmmmmm as good and easy it sounds, the risk is still there. One family did such and after 5 abortions, the husband ran away from the wife got married to anothe young AA lady. Where do u think the former wife will start from at age 32?
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Olaoinvestments(m): 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
IT TAKES GODS MIRACLE, BUIT HONESTLY IN MY OWN OPINION I WILL ADVISE YOU LET GO, BEEN THERE B4, THOUGHT I WOULD BE ABLE TO JUMP OVER THE HURDLE WHEN THE TIME CAME, BUT IT WAS LIKE MOUNT EVEREST.

YOURS MIGHT BE DIFFERENT THO`

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Benin Baby Names / Woman Gives Birth To A Baby 5 Months After Giving Birth To Twins In Lagos (Photo / How I Got Married With Just N28,900 (my True Life Testimony)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.