Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple (70715 Views)

Can Couple With Genotype AA & AS Give Birth To SS? / Wife Divorce Husband Because He Lied About His Genotype / Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Onlinebizexpert(m): 2:37pm On Jul 13, 2014
Temmytea70:

Pls am confused,I need d bible passage of "heaven help those who help themselves"....just curious though

am sorry ma'am its actually a proverb not biblical cool
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Onlinebizexpert(m): 2:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
holhuwaphemie:

Speak little of that which u know not. Am a sickler and am sorry to tell u dat ur analysis here doesn't apply, u make it sound like an expensive death sentence. I live an absolutely normal life bro.

am sorry sir i dont mean it the way you though , i was just explaining the intricacies involved, i haved seen and stayed with some sicklers and my above analysis was true in their case, some did not reach teen age

i must commend you, you are a SURVIVOR smiley
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by ldonjibson(m): 2:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
rutchiekens:

No drug can cure sickle cell, they must have used the sharia riot as an excuse to kill the child.

AS SIMPLE AS DAT...
AA WOMAN NA D BEST FOR U IF U DONT WANT TO LIVE UR ENTIRE LIFE IN REGRET
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Temmytea70(m): 2:47pm On Jul 13, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

am sorry ma'am its actually a proverb not biblical cool
Awkay nah,tanks.....now I get it.........u mean bro not ma'am
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
ll
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Onlinebizexpert(m): 2:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
Temmytea70:
Awkay nah,tanks.....now I get it.........u mean bro not ma'am

sorry ooo na so so fine gals i see for church today grin
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by remsonik(f): 3:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

please for those already in this predicament and those who are trying to take the risk should listen tome

a medic reporting.......

first and foremost OP do not listen to people that are telling you to have faith in GOD because even GOD being so powerful instructed us as follows " Thou shall not TEMPT the LORD your GOD"" he is aware that one over zealous christian one day would jump from high tension cable and expect ANGELS to come and carry him to safety

there is a proverbial saying that that "HEAVEN helps those who help themselves" dont bother trying to risk it it is not worth it

even when the disciples were with JESUS, they still ate food why did'nt they have FAITH and GO HUNGRY.........it is called being LOGICAL

before anybody attacks me I AM A BIBLE BELIEVING CHRISTIAN

now to your question OP

from scientific calculations if two AS couple have intercourse they would have children with the following genotype
AA AS AS SS

though in some cases i have seen all the children were either AA or AS in some worst case scenario the children were all SS

the AA an AS children are not the problem , its the SS child whoma I PERSONALLY refer to as a VISA to HOSPITAL, POVERTY and MARRIAGE BREAK DOWN

VISA to HOSPITAL the SS child has set a record of always falling ill to the slightest provocation and most of these children do not live long, with this child the best thing is to relocate to a house near a hospital, THIS IS ONE REASON WHY AS AS marriage is seriously preached against

VISA TO POVERTY many people do not know that it takes about an average of 25,000 naira per week to manage an SS child, this amounts to about a 100,000 naira per month, imagine such an expense for a couple that has a salary of like 150,000 naira. just calculate 100,000 naira per month for like 10 years of marriage.. brethren that is poverty knocking at your door, this is another reason to avoid such marriages

VISA TO MARRIAGE BREAKDOWN: most marriages with SS child are always in turmoil, the LOVE is strained, everybody becomes angry at any provocation, each parent feels that it is the other persons fault that they are in this predicament, some even start cheating or considering SUICIDE.......this is why I personally advise people to enter a marriage that they might never enjoy

WHAT CAN I DO IN SUCH A MARRIAGE

adopt

ivf

stem cell transplant

prayer

ADOPT simply decide with your wife that your marriage is not for procreation rather it would be for companionship, the adopt a child/children and treat them the way you would have treated your own actual offspring... its not easy but its worth it

IVF in vitro fertilization, here your wife is fertilized with the sperm of a donor, the advantage of this is that you get to choose the characteristics of the donor that you wish to see in you child like tall, handsome, STRONG FACE grin etc.....

STEM CELL TRANSPLANT here your own child would undergo a process which can lead to genotype change...

NOTE: it is an expensive process and to be sincere i cannot vouch for nigeria as the best place to do this

PRAYER I am not telling you to pray to GOD to change your child's genotype, rather pray for things like GRACE,LOVE MONEY etc that will help you manage your family

WARNING for those about to enter such a marriage

1. na suffering get you
2. that LOVE that is making you not to be logical will fizzle out with years of suffering and then it will be too late to do anything

ANY PASTOR THAT IS ADVISING YOU TO ENTER SUCH A MARRIAGE IS SIMPLY TRYING TO USE YOU TO ENRICH HIS MINISTRY THROUGH YOUR TITHES AND PRAYER FACILITATING OFFERING

PERSONALLY, my GF is AS same as me, but we both know that it is not leading to the altar, I LOVE her very well and that is why I am not going to wed her into suffering and frustration

this should be the same for those yet to marry

I HOPE MY LITTLE EPISTLE WOULD HELP A FRIEND HERE......LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR TESTIMONY
1,000,000 likes!!!

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Sirmuell(m): 3:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
berem: you should have corrected me instead of throwing insult? Se ni tori yen o n pe mi l'ode?
Pele love, i withdraw the insult.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by ameenahz(f): 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
IVF? Amniocentesis and subsequent termination of SS foetuses?

Op, please, i know it will not be easy, but it is safer if you do not go into such a marriage at all. I'm not being pessimistic, but you are asking for a lifetime of regrets.

My parents did the same and they are even not together anymore.

Where is Abali1
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by nagoma(m): 3:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
Mynd44:
Why?
Isn't it funny that the same pastors that preach "Faith" and that "There is no situation that God can't change" are the ones writing this off? Is this a lack of Faith or a limitation of the abilities of "God"?
I believe God gave us the knowledge of medical science for our use and so we can make our lives better. He does not have to show up in our lives, he gave us knowledge so let's use it.
@OP,
IVF and/or Adoption
It is a lot better to have that and marry the person you love and you are happy with than leave that person and be miserable with the person you settle down with

The knowledge Of genetics that we have Now is by God's grace. We should use it. If you plant bananas and expect to reap apples through prayers , you are just mocking The Lord.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Onlinebizexpert(m): 3:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
remsonik:
1,000,000 likes!!!

na so you love me reach kiss
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by remsonik(f): 3:10pm On Jul 13, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

na so you love me reach kiss
Taaaa!!! Comot dia tonguetongue
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by joyfulheart: 3:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
Mynd44:
Why?

Isn't it funny that the same pastors that preach "Faith" and that "There is no situation that God can't change" are the ones writing this off? Is this a lack of Faith or a limitation of the abilities of "God"?

I believe God gave us the knowledge of medical science for our use and so we can make our lives better. He does not have to show up in our lives, he gave us knowledge so let's use it.

@OP,
IVF and/or Adoption

It is a lot better to have that and marry the person you love and you are happy with than leave that person and be miserable with the person you settle down with
see dis 1 o, God is nt a magician. Ok? Precaution is beta dan cure. If 2 pipu with AS marry themselves, they should be ready to face d consequences, except God intervenes.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Bigsteveg(m): 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
rutchiekens:

The only option is doing a bone marrow transplant which is expensive.. And only advisable on young sickle cell carriers

But truthfully

There are no options, just break up with the lady and look for an AA lady.

A bone marrow transplant is the transfusion of blood into a sickle cell carrier, dat is not prevention, it is cure. And its usually used for SS children.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Onlinebizexpert(m): 3:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
remsonik:
Taaaa!!! Comot dia tonguetongue

shey na because say u neva see my fine face

abi u no sabi say dangote dey hold my money
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Habeebpain(m): 3:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
Mynd44:
Why?

@OP,
IVF and/or Adoption

God has given us common sense. You can't refuse to apply it and egger into the wahala blindly and expect God to save you. He can though but why are you trying to test God? It's still avoidable. I've been in this case twice and I know how it feels.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by amakaEXcel: 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2014
DjAndroid: I am also facing this situation now. though I am not yet married but we are both AS.
pleas I beg u in d name of God don't get married to an AS as you both might end up not being happy in dat marriage. Pleas don't be selfish consider you children,should they be constantly sick, would you guys be able to stnd it watching dem go tru dat torture ?? Am sure no. I have seen it happen and believe me d couple are regretting it till today!!
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Bigsteveg(m): 3:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
bigmodo: What options are available for a couple with the same A.S genotype so they wont produce S.S children, please assist us.

Well, i also talked to a medical personnel about this also, and i was given two options;
(1)When you are pregnant, there is a way u can find out if d baby is a full carrier of the sickle cell (SS), this test can be carried out when the baby is like 3-5 months...if it is discovered dat the baby is SS, u can abort
But i must day the test is very expensive, u can get it done at south africa, i heard there's one in abuja but am not sure.

(2)U can go for IVF (In vitro fertilisation)
IVF is better because u can get to select the gene of ur baby urself, ur sperm will be tested and when the get good ones(that does not contain d sickle cell carrier), it will be injected in2 ur wife and off u go.
However, IVF can be done in nigeria, but the test to screen out sickle cell sperm carrier, am not sure its being done in nigeria.

If u need details, i can give ur contacts of health facilities in UK, SA who handle such

God bless

2 Likes

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by remsonik(f): 3:38pm On Jul 13, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

shey na because say u neva see my fine face

abi u no sabi say dangote dey hold my money
Shey u be dangote's son ni?? Besides u re a medical practitioner and I ve a phobia for needles
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by LtCZAR: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
Am from a family of three sicklers. My mum would always larment that if she had known what this genotype issue was, she would not have gotten married to andoa AS.

@ OP if you can take the fact that you would always send 10days at the hospital( intensive care Unit) where you would be exposed to all manner of deaths and negetive talks, Go ahead and make this Mistake.

P.S I lost an Elder sister to dis too. She was 19yrs then.

The remaining ones have been placed on medications. Which try to reduce their crises.
But when it comes they are given PENTAZOCINE Injections (30grams) to hlp subside it.

MY 2cents.

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Mrpauch(m): 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
DjAndroid: I am also facing this situation now. though I am not yet married but we are both AS.

If you guys are both AS then there's no WE. Don't just get blinded with (Love).
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
Well the AS/AS thing is bit complicated.
If they marry, they have a 25% chance of having SS in each pregnancy.

What can they do if they still want to get married;

1, PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS : at the 11th to 13th week of pregnancy, they can go for test such as
Chorionic villi sampling or Amniocentesis.
These test are run at the SICKLE CELL FOUNDATION OF NIGERIA, located opposite LUTH, Idi araba, lagos. Costs #250k - #300k.
If the foetus's genotype is discovered to be SS, then they could decide to terminate the pregnancy.
If however AS or AA, then xcellent.
This has to be done for every pregnancy they have.
The tests carry just a mild risk overall.

2. PREIMPLANTATION GENETIC SCREENING.
Heard Its more expensive, and i cant tell u where its done in naija, cos i dont have info on that.
It involves, invitro fertilization and screening of embyos to get the suitable ones for the couples and re implanting in the uterus.

The 3rd option, is the most xpensive and that is actually given birth to an SS child and then having a bone marrow transplant to cure the child.
I heard it has been done at UBTH Benin and it costs #7million.

Pls checkout the website of scfn. Sickle cell foundation of nigeria for details on the cvs and amniocentesis.

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by tanidabi: 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
Sincerely if u pray hard nd tell God what u want u may not have ss at all Iknow of 2 families that are both as nd have 4 kids each none of d eight children is a sickler anoda option is ivf with PGD where they select the embryos dat are sickle cell free nd implant back ,pgd in uk is abt £5000 excluding d cost of Ivf or use donor eggs
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Gynacologist(m): 4:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
Meringe: Why go through that stress?

There are women/men out there, though its not easy but when you take the step, you will look back and smile you did the right thing.
d prob there is gettin d ryt one.
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2014
Agbalanze: Please don't gamble with the life of your unborn. And don't be too blinded by love, face reality!
True..a friend just died of SS anaemia and was buried last week. Just 5months to being a medical doctor,he had an attack and died..its so painful..after all d struggle..Op pls work with wisdom.dis is not a mata of love o..

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Mattin(m): 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2014
This is a dicey situation. I know of a couple with AS genotype each, that got married, they have 5 children. It was only the first born dat was SS, the rest were either AA or AS. The SS is 30+ and married today. Though it wasnt easy bringing her up.
My submission is; take ur time and get AA that will complement your person because its not worth the risk! I tell ya
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Gynacologist(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
aminho: i will have love to advise you but you know doctors are on strike wink wink
u gat me on diz whch minz im oda wordz ur a doc?
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Jhayeahsam01(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
do not be deceived, u can't mock God, for what so ever u sow shall u reap... love isn't blind dont put ur pastor and parents in trouble.....
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Gynacologist(m): 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
Onlinebizexpert:

please for those already in this predicament and those who are trying to take the risk should listen tome

a medic reporting.......

first and foremost OP do not listen to people that are telling you to have faith in GOD because even GOD being so powerful instructed us as follows " Thou shall not TEMPT the LORD your GOD"" he is aware that one over zealous christian one day would jump from high tension cable and expect ANGELS to come and carry him to safety

there is a proverbial saying that that "HEAVEN helps those who help themselves" dont bother trying to risk it it is not worth it

even when the disciples were with JESUS, they still ate food why did'nt they have FAITH and GO HUNGRY.........it is called being LOGICAL

before anybody attacks me I AM A BIBLE BELIEVING CHRISTIAN

now to your question OP

from scientific calculations if two AS couple have intercourse they would have children with the following genotype
AA AS AS SS

though in some cases i have seen all the children were either AA or AS in some worst case scenario the children were all SS

the AA an AS children are not the problem , its the SS child whoma I PERSONALLY refer to as a VISA to HOSPITAL, POVERTY and MARRIAGE BREAK DOWN

VISA to HOSPITAL the SS child has set a record of always falling ill to the slightest provocation and most of these children do not live long, with this child the best thing is to relocate to a house near a hospital, THIS IS ONE REASON WHY AS AS marriage is seriously preached against

VISA TO POVERTY many people do not know that it takes about an average of 25,000 naira per week to manage an SS child, this amounts to about a 100,000 naira per month, imagine such an expense for a couple that has a salary of like 150,000 naira. just calculate 100,000 naira per month for like 10 years of marriage.. brethren that is poverty knocking at your door, this is another reason to avoid such marriages

VISA TO MARRIAGE BREAKDOWN: most marriages with SS child are always in turmoil, the LOVE is strained, everybody becomes angry at any provocation, each parent feels that it is the other persons fault that they are in this predicament, some even start cheating or considering SUICIDE.......this is why I personally advise people to enter a marriage that they might never enjoy

WHAT CAN I DO IN SUCH A MARRIAGE

adopt

ivf

stem cell transplant

prayer

ADOPT simply decide with your wife that your marriage is not for procreation rather it would be for companionship, the adopt a child/children and treat them the way you would have treated your own actual offspring... its not easy but its worth it

IVF in vitro fertilization, here your wife is fertilized with the sperm of a donor, the advantage of this is that you get to choose the characteristics of the donor that you wish to see in you child like tall, handsome, STRONG FACE grin etc.....

STEM CELL TRANSPLANT here your own child would undergo a process which can lead to genotype change...

NOTE: it is an expensive process and to be sincere i cannot vouch for nigeria as the best place to do this

PRAYER I am not telling you to pray to GOD to change your child's genotype, rather pray for things like GRACE,LOVE MONEY etc that will help you manage your family

WARNING for those about to enter such a marriage

1. na suffering get you
2. that LOVE that is making you not to be logical will fizzle out with years of suffering and then it will be too late to do anything

ANY PASTOR THAT IS ADVISING YOU TO ENTER SUCH A MARRIAGE IS SIMPLY TRYING TO USE YOU TO ENRICH HIS MINISTRY THROUGH YOUR TITHES AND PRAYER FACILITATING OFFERING

PERSONALLY, my GF is AS same as me, but we both know that it is not leading to the altar, I LOVE her very well and that is why I am not going to wed her into suffering and frustration

this should be the same for those yet to marry

I HOPE MY LITTLE EPISTLE WOULD HELP A FRIEND HERE......LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR TESTIMONY
nixx write up....he tat hv ear shld listen

1 Like

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Davidson95: 5:18pm On Jul 13, 2014
My brother is adviceable dnt go into such relationship
Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by flyingdutchman(m): 5:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
WE HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE 1 IN EVRY 4 CHILD BEING AN SS CARRIER. SEE THEIR FACES RECITING IT LIKE A MANTRA. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SOLUTION, STOP GIVING WRONG ADVICE! MANY PEOPLE CAN COMFORTABLY BUY 2 PLOTS OF LAND FOR 1.5MILLION NAIRA PER PLOT, WHY CAN'T THEY SACRIFICE 1.2 - 2.2 MILLION NAIRA TO GET THEIR TWINS OR TRIPLETS AND THEN STOP BEARING CHILDREN WE BUY THE LATEST CARS FOR MUCH MORE THAN THAT.
WE ARE TIRED OF HEARING YOU RECITE WHAT YOU LEARNT IN SECONDARY SCHOOL - "1 IN 4 CHILDREN...25% OUT OF 100 ETC

GOOGLE, BING, YAHOO ETC WILL GIVE YOU RELEVANT INFO YOU LAZY LOT! ITS IRRITATING WHEN PEOPLE DON'T DO RESEARCH AND THEN HIDE UNDER RELIGION [size=13pt]STOP PRETENDING TO CARE FOR THE OP AND ACTUALLY HELP OUT!!![/size]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple by Genea(f): 6:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
sexyexcalibur:

you are disappointing Genea.... you call urself a med student and u advice such..... do u know wat it means to get a Stem cell donor match(not necessarily a bone marrow)...... most times, the couple still have to give birth to anoda child and the umbilical cord blood z used, DT new child could turn out to be SS too ,wat do u do den.... do u know how expensive it z.... do u know d failure rate keeping in mind DT d money z not refundable... I bet u r in ur preclinical years....so ur ignorance z pardoned
I was pitying dem na,am soft hearted oooo dats y I gave dem option,dnt make me cry naaaa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Husband Is Sexually Weak: Wife Tells Judge / Husbands Urged To Do This For Their Wives So Their Marriage Could Work. Photos / Her Six Months Old Baby Gazes Sternly At Her During Sex- She's Worried.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.