Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

I Want To Quit My Banking Job - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Quit My Banking Job (37668 Views)

Should I Quit My Present Job For A Federal Government Job? / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / Should I Quit My Job Now And Get Over N8m Payoff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by GboyegaD(m): 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
voltron:

Do not sulk, set a SELF-IMPROVEMENT goal for yourself that will ultimately re-position you in a better role where:
1: You are respected for the value you bring to the table not the amount of hours you put into work
2: You are in a position to Balance your work with your Personal Improvement. Companies value your ability to deliver on what your Job Description says and more. If you allow your Family or Personal Life to suffer, your ability to deliver will also suffer.. guess what?! there a millions of unemployed graduates who can deliver exactly the same value you are delivering; for cheap too.

It will cost you TIME and MONEY so start saving judiciously and start taking High Risk, High Value Decisions.

Not everyone will make a good entrepreneur you know.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by slydog(m): 4:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
voltron:
what about 4 yrs with only 5 days leave. a friend who worked in one of Nigeria's top 3 banks died at his desk due to Heart-related issues. after being recalled from a short leave to go back to work. His wife tried to wake him up to go home .. alas, it was his last day at work, home and on earth..

Its really pathetic, mayb I know the bank it happened, at the head office of one the banks in lagos last year, died from taking a short nap on his desk
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by sapiosexual(f): 5:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
fluxview: I HAVE READ ALL YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS MATTER AND I AM DISAPPOINTED TO NOTE THAT 90% OF YOU guys said exactly what my friends said when i quite my job, now i have packaged myself and got a better job but 90% of them are still looking for job. MY BROTHER PLZ MAIL ME LET ME ADVICE YOU ON WHAT TO DO BEFORE YOU QUITE THE JOB AND AFTER YOU QUITE THE JOB. flux4flux@live.co.uk

Are you sure you "quite" your job or they fired your a.s.s. because with your horrible grammar and poor spelling ability you got me thinking bro.
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by sapiosexual(f): 5:13pm On Jul 15, 2014
Aro007: I am also in the same situation. I am seriously thinking of quitting my bank job but am really scared of the uncertainty. First of all am seriously distracted at work, I have the most annoying boss and the job have seize to be a source of motivation too me even considering the fact that this is my 4th year on the same position.
Although in my own case, I have an IT/power consulting firm. Currently, I have about 5 different banks as my client and it has not been easy for me a reason am very distracted at work. Every effort to hire people that could drive the company to a higher level proved abortive as they often fail to deliver on there responsibilities as soon as they know I am not fully around with the business. There was a time I had abt 4 graduate working for me, but this did not work for me as I spend precious time separating fight between them than actually making progress.
Please I need an advice as am not happy with my condition and I still find it very hard taking that decision

Its either you quit your job and focus on your business or you close that business down. Its either you are in or you are out. You can sit on the fence.
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
GboyegaD:

Not everyone will make a good entrepreneur you know.

Not everyone realizes that we are all as human as the next guy. each with the potential to be great. given the right choices
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by bfn1: 8:29pm On Jul 15, 2014
rationalmind: Bro, trust me the banking job is more interesting than unemployment

grin

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Adelekedove(m): 11:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
If you don't have plan B, try and identify your interest in the job which is the money (If you don't love your JOB I beg fall in love with the Salary)
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by GboyegaD(m): 1:59am On Jul 16, 2014
voltron:

Not everyone realizes that we are all as human as the next guy. each with the potential to be great. given the right choices

There are different paths to greatness and it could be by been on your own or working for someone else.
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by listenersky: 6:29am On Jul 16, 2014
But where is the op?
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 16, 2014
GboyegaD:

There are different paths to greatness and it could be by been on your own or working for someone else.

From my experience I have realized that it is all about Preparation, Strategic Competitive Advantage and Risk Appetite. like you said, you can be great working on your own or for someone else.

Let me give you a few examples.. I know several Executives at various Banks who were victims of the right-sizing activities in recent years.
Most lived in choice areas of Lekki and VGC, having excellent health care benefits and school fee allowances for their children in the choicest schools home and abroad. Where are they now? I met one who now works as a marketer for an IT Consultancy.. the grey hairs on his eye-brows alone makes it a pain looking up when i am having discussions with them. Where did they miss-out. They did not do the following

1: Prepare for Change: One must Prepare to be a Professional of Tomorrow and not Expert of Today. Most people who have become great understand the value of history and if you are fortunate to have the benefit of hind-sight (having been previously or are currently employed) you should take every waking opportunity to improve your chances of a successful future employed or not

2: Entrench your efforts at becoming Strategically Competitive: What this means is you seek ways to making your services indispensable, it could be better knowledge, business contacts, eye-service, creativity or just simply hoarding know-how. This way the business or competition will find it difficult to replace your or think less of your value. Anything that can be copied or replaced does not have a Strategic Competitive Advantage. Learn to be better at what you do than others. Do not think getting a regular salary not worth the effort and ingenuity will continue forever.. one day someone up there will notice.and there are thousands of better-placed candidates to replace you at any given moment, do not over-estimate your worth.. keep on improving in newer areas outside your major.

3: Nothing Ventured , Nothing Gained: We all may not know it but we take Risks everyday and every moment.. every decision we take no matter how insignificant, results in a Risk. how often have you heard, i should have waited a few minutes more and the accident would not have happened, I should have moved quicker, i won't have missed this opportunity.I should have acted earlier or been more patient.. Life itself is a Risk not a Blessing to be kept in a locker for admiration at a convenient time. One must understand the Critical Importance of Time and how it influences the value of a Risk Decision. You must be able to assess your present condition in terms of Balance, Longevity and Profit. If there is a chance that you enjoy a Balanced Job but not its Longevity or Profit.. Start Thinking.. or you enjoy a Profitable Job but it is a the Risk of Life, Future Career and Family or a Ministry Job which is very Long-Term but no Profit or Balance. One must weigh these options. I have a formula which some may not agree with but here it is below

If outlook is for the short-term e.g Special Assistant to Commissioner of Works & Housing or the CEO of a Company. go for it There are some jobs you go for not because of its value to your career playing that role, but because it can expose you to Career Ladders in the same organization or others. I know of an SA who became a Senior Vice-President in 2 years after he joined. his boss simply recommended him for Promotion, twice in some instances.

Long-term Outlook? NONE!! unless you are earning millions at a comfortable job where you are hardly noticed, then you can consider the Risk of a long-term job. for me AGE is your ENEMY as a man working for someone else.. When you notice that your Job has a Retirement Age and you are not at Executive Levels where you can Maximize Balance, Longevity and Profit. it is high-time you start thinking of other alternatives.

That is all i can offer for now

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 16, 2014
slydog:

Its really pathetic, mayb I know the bank it happened, at the head office of one the banks in lagos last year, died from taking a short nap on his desk

Yes Sir.. that is the one I am talking about. sad so sad what people go through in the course of over-work for low-pay angry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by GboyegaD(m): 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
voltron:

From my experience I have realized that it is all about Preparation, Strategic Competitive Advantage and Risk Appetite. like you said, you can be great working on your own or for someone else.

Let me give you a few examples.. I know several Executives at various Banks who were victims of the right-sizing activities in recent years.
Most lived in choice areas of Lekki and VGC, having excellent health care benefits and school fee allowances for their children in the choicest schools home and abroad. Where are they now? I met one who now works as a marketer for an IT Consultancy.. the grey hairs on his eye-brows alone makes it a pain looking up when i am having discussions with them. Where did they miss-out. They did not do the following

1: Prepare for Change: One must Prepare to be a Professional of Tomorrow and not Expert of Today. Most people who have become great understand the value of history and if you are fortunate to have the benefit of hind-sight (having been previously or are currently employed) you should take every waking opportunity to improve your chances of a successful future employed or not

2: Entrench your efforts at becoming Strategically Competitive: What this means is you seek ways to making your services indispensable, it could be better knowledge, business contacts, eye-service, creativity or just simply hoarding know-how. This way the business or competition will find it difficult to replace your or think less of your value. Anything that can be copied or replaced does not have a Strategic Competitive Advantage. Learn to be better at what you do than others. Do not think getting a regular salary not worth the effort and ingenuity will continue forever.. one day someone up there will notice.and there are thousands of better-placed candidates to replace you at any given moment, do not over-estimate your worth.. keep on improving in newer areas outside your major.

3: Nothing Ventured , Nothing Gained: We all may not know it but we take Risks everyday and every moment.. every decision we take no matter how insignificant, results in a Risk. how often have you heard, i should have waited a few minutes more and the accident would not have happened, I should have moved quicker, i won't have missed this opportunity.I should have acted earlier or been more patient.. Life itself is a Risk not a Blessing to be kept in a locker for admiration at a convenient time. One must understand the Critical Importance of Time and how it influences the value of a Risk Decision. You must be able to assess your present condition in terms of Balance, Longevity and Profit. If there is a chance that you enjoy a Balanced Job but not its Longevity or Profit.. Start Thinking.. or you enjoy a Profitable Job but it is a the Risk of Life, Future Career and Family or a Ministry Job which is very Long-Term but no Profit or Balance. One must weigh these options. I have a formula which some may not agree with but here it is below

If outlook is for the short-term e.g Special Assistant to Commissioner of Works & Housing or the CEO of a Company. go for it There are some jobs you go for not because of its value to your career playing that role, but because it can expose you to Career Ladders in the same organization or others. I know of an SA who became a Senior Vice-President in 2 years after he joined. his boss simply recommended him for Promotion, twice in some instances.

Long-term Outlook? NONE!! unless you are earning millions at a comfortable job where you are hardly noticed, then you can consider the Risk of a long-term job. for me AGE is your ENEMY as a man working for someone else.. When you notice that your Job has a Retirement Age and you are not at Executive Levels where you can Maximize Balance, Longevity and Profit. it is high-time you start thinking of other alternatives.

That is all i can offer for now

Very well said nonetheless, not everyone is cut out for business and an alternative for such persons are investments.
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by theshadowknows: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
my brother, what you are experiencing is the first sign to let you know one place you don't belong. I don't know how old you are or if you are married, but dreams are mainly for the youth. ...you probably may have had what some would term as a ' dream job', but that's another word for a job that makes you feel you have less responsibilities and more benefits......simple , if you feel you can't cope leave now before you are too old to have dreams of what you really want.....it won't be easy because you will definitely have bills to pay, but trust me , you are better off ending your banking career on you own terms than when someone kicks you out, where then you will really feel used. good luck
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2014
GboyegaD:

Very well said nonetheless, not everyone is cut out for business and an alternative for such persons are investments.

True, True
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by ChiJenyfa(f): 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
Would you rather be jobless?
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by kobonaire(m): 10:09pm On Jul 16, 2014
Leave him alone .... maybe that is his calling ... allow him to leave his banking job and start selling pure water .... one day he may be the pure water king in Nigeria
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by SenatorJames(m): 1:24am On Jul 17, 2014
rationalmind: Bro, trust me the banking job is more interesting than unemployment
You mean than unemployment job?

You are as funny as your advise/advice.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by bestads(m): 2:53am On Jul 28, 2014
jennylove7575: Quit if the job is taking away your dignity. But before u do, ensure you've gotten another job.

look who is talking of dignity.....

https://www.nairaland.com/jennylove7575

https://www.nairaland.com/jennylove7575/posts
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by liberty27(m): 9:59am On Jan 24, 2015
[quote author=Blockus post=24703259]

[b]I have an Aunt who is a top manager in Keystone Bank.

I asked her one time if this thing we hear about Bank workers and their hard labour is true and she said NO!!

She said the group withinn the Banks that can complain about hard and long days are those in the investment banking sector who deal in stocks and bonds. She says they work that long because they trade on different markets around the world with different opening and closing times. But that the Bank Tellers and co dont put in as much work. That if it takes you so long to close out your work, its prolly because you left your work to pile up for whatever reasons.

So I wonder what work a teller on leave would be called back to do,.

You asked a top manager, what else would you expect for an answer? I think a better poll will be from te typical low and middle mgt level marketers and operators.

I think banks no longer have permanent workers as the working terms show everyone are on contract. A friend of mine who was sacked recently was not even paid any form of gratuity after working for almost a decade as a 'full' staff. (Is there something that talks about this in the labour law?)
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by miken22: 7:57pm On Jan 25, 2015
okparaugo:

Me 5 years no leave.

Now people know bankers aren't enjoying..

What kind of bank wnt allow u go on leave or give the money equivalent?
Am a banker too and am loving wat am doing. Anyway am nt a marketer, working in the Head Office as Credit risk officer.
Pls dnt discourage other potential bankers.
Goodluck in every plans u make.
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by miken22: 7:58pm On Jan 25, 2015
okparaugo:

Me 5 years no leave.

Now people know bankers aren't enjoying..

What kind of bank wnt allow u go on leave or give the money equivalent?
Am a banker too and am loving wat am doing. Anyway am nt a marketer, working in the Head Office as Credit risk officer. Only wat doesn't interest me is Lagos traffic.
Pls dnt discourage other potential bankers.
Goodluck in every plans u make.
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by tessylove2(f): 12:01am On Jan 27, 2015
I love working in a bank,I did my IT in Intercontinental bank now Access bank.Who can help me get my dream job pls I studied computer Science.thanks in advance oooooo
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 27, 2015
tessylove2:
I love working in a bank,I did my IT in Intercontinental bank now Access bank.Who can help me get my dream job pls I studied computer Science.thanks in advance oooooo
banking job much easier to get. Signup to newsletters from job blogs and get alerts daily

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by tessylove2(f): 12:04pm On Jan 27, 2015
2sExy1:
banking job much easier to get. Signup to newsletters from job blogs and get alerts daily
ok thanks I will...
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 02, 2015
kobonaire:
Leave him alone .... maybe that is his calling ... allow him to leave his banking job and start selling pure water .... one day he may be the pure water king in Nigeria

And who says pure water entrepreneurs are not far better than bankers.. They employ labour, pay salaries and cater for their families. FYI, it costs over N7 million to start the business outside NAFDAC licensing
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by kobonaire(m): 12:37pm On Jun 02, 2015
voltron:

And who says pure water entrepreneurs are not far better than bankers.. They employ labour, pay salaries and cater for their families. FYI, it costs over N7 million to start the business outside NAFDAC licensing
ok - points noted ... btw the thread is from a year ago, I had even forgotten what was being discussed cheesy
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jun 02, 2015
kobonaire:
ok - points noted ... btw the thread is from a year ago, I had even forgotten what was being discussed cheesy
somehow came up in my Mentioned topics
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by kobonaire(m): 6:25am On Jun 04, 2015
voltron:

somehow came up in my Mentioned topics
i think voltron needs new batteries grin
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by 1998ken: 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2020
Hi nairaland, am on the verge of quitting my job...in fact I already tendered my resignation letter to the outsourcing company I work for, it only remains to tell my bosses...Though I have no other job yet, but I felt the urge to resign because I am always idle at work and not happy...and my boss uses this to bully me officially... What next step should I take pending the fact that we are in covid 19 era...
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 11, 2020
mahmudsani:
Hello All,
Pls I want to quit my banking job bc I don't find intersting any more, pls advise me.

Alert there is an opening in your area https://www.nairaland.com/5985085/own-boss-work-home-own
Re: I Want To Quit My Banking Job by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 11, 2020
eluquenson:
Banking job is interesting if you work in a good unit or else its a crazy world.

Fire ur boss Alert there is an opening in your area https://www.nairaland.com/5985085/own-boss-work-home-own

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Can You Teach People For FREE To Kickstart There CAREER / They Were Expecting Sack Letter But She Surprised Them With Iphone 13 PRO MAX / How is minimum wage calculated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.