Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? (20037 Views)

The People Perish For Lack Of Knowledge- VANGUARD / Which Is Worse: Greed Or Selfishness / Our Police And Illiteracy! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by adbokus(m): 4:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
Let's just say an illiterate person will use ur CofO to package akara 4 ur neighbour...an unexposed person is a conducive habitat for stagnation...
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2014
ennylicious: I need an answer ASAP

illiteracy they say is a disease

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Tushborn: 5:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
Karleb:

I mean, it's better to be an illiterate than to lack exposure.

u are wrong man.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Judas2013: 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2014
Oahray: Funny comments here. Lack of exposure isn't black and white. No one totally lacks exposure by the way, unless he's locked away in a dungeon since birth.

Anyone who reads books or is into the social media or uses the internet pretty well, cannot lack exposure. He can only lack social skills. Unless a person is mentally lazy, literacy exposes one same way as personal experience... In fact, it helps us better 'experience other people's experience' in a way illiterates cannot.

Now, illiteracy...

You wouldn't understand the word written on the door if the were written in German. Probably it might mean DANGER!
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by ISpiksDaTroof: 6:01pm On Jul 16, 2014
Jennydoris: It's better to lack exposure than to be illiterate. With just travelling u can be exposed to making new friends and meeting new things and learning from them too. But being an illiterate will make you not expose yourself for fear of being exposed of your illiterate nature. grin grin grin grin

You're worse off being illiterate than lacking exposure. "Illiteracy" is subjective. You can be illiterate in reading and writing, for example, but be literate in real life subjects like politics, sociology, theology, psychology etc

When you "lack exposure"---to put it mildly--- you're ignorant as hell, dense, dumb, a dunce, dunderhead, ignoramus and could probably be classified as an imbe*cile when compared to someone on your level that is "exposed".

An "illiterate" Nigerian cab driver in London,Boston, Berlin (i.e the extremely smart Ibo man I had a discussion about Nigerian politics with a few days ago on my way to the Airport) could be viewed as more intelligent than a Yoruba University Graduate that has never left Ibadan for a single day if both of them tabled their views/ideas on a particular subject (i.e running a government using modern methods) because one is "exposed" while the other lacks it.

As a final example, take GEJ for instance. He is a PhD holder. And, while its no hidden secret that the Nigerian Educational system is extremely poor, most of his gaffes have come as a result of the fact that he is not "exposed" and as a result he comes across as backwards, brutish, dull, sneaky, inept and ---sometimes--- as an individual battling with low self-esteem. His wife is the same way but hers is two fold and even more catastrophic because she's (most likely) illiterate (or at best semi-literate) and also lacks "exposure".

Exposure beats illiteracy anytime.

p.s: I used the terms "Ibo" and "Yoruba" up there to further strengthen my writing and not to denigrate or praise any particular tribe.

4 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by biomedixexcel(m): 6:09pm On Jul 16, 2014
All of the above
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by rexzqcom(m): 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2014
We cannot all be exposed to all possible circumstances life have to offer. But we can get a glimpse of most when literate. There are literate Nigerians who have not traveled, that knows more about the social, political,geography,history of most developed countries than the illiterate citizens of these countries.Even when they are living in it. Exposure without literacy often leads to wrong interpretations of what you see or exposed to. Moreover, there are illiterate Nigerians in advance countries who are stagnated even when exposed.literacy is not easy for some because of a disease call dyslexia .
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Oahray: 7:30pm On Jul 16, 2014
Judas2013:

You wouldn't understand the word written on the door if the were written in German. Probably it might mean DANGER!

true. But it takes a literate person to realise it's not english but german and source for the meaning. I know some german words though I've never been there.

Bottom line is, literacy can make up for little exposure.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 16, 2014
Lack of exposure is worse as evidenced on NL daily.

Literacy means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Late Alhadji Arisekola - ki olorun fi orun kewon - didn't have MBA yet his name will go down in the anals of Nigerias greatest industrialist and tycoons.

What he had was exposure to business.

Iwe la fe je ni? Na book we go chop?

3 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Jeanred(f): 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
TheWholeTruth:

This thread is about you.
Ya mean grin
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by bedfordng(m): 10:39pm On Jul 16, 2014
The both of them have a very strong relationship which works hand in hand.you can not live without one of them.an illitrate can still be exposed more than a litrate person and vice versa.illitracy is far worse.even illitracy has grades.just because MR A only speaks his native language does not mean he is not exposed or he is an illitrate,illitracy is not just knowing how to read and write in english.it is far more than that.even every one is still an illitrate in some aspect of life or things around us and untill we learn it,we get exposed to it and also until will get exposed to it,we become litrate in it.so they work hand in hand but the level of litracy and exposure matters but being an illitrate is far worse than exposure because you can claim don jazzy in your village and speaking quins english and every one that has not gotten to your level will respect you because you are educated but not exposed.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by bedfordng(m): 10:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
CityNG: Lack of exposure is worse as evidenced on NL daily.

Literacy means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Late Alhadji Arisekola - ki olorun fi orun kewon - didn't have MBA yet his name will go down in the anals of Nigerias greatest industrialist and tycoons.

What he had was exposure to business.

Iwe la fe je ni? Na book we go chop?

but he learnt it to become a litrate in the business.so in essense,the level of litracy and exposure matters because some people can be exposed to such businesses but stil not a litrate in it.we can't live without at least one of them to some extent in life.no one is fully exposed and litrate
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
Truly, they are synonyms.. Almost identical due to actual display of people suffering from any of em.. A combination of the two is the definition of BOKO HARAM..
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
bedfordng: but he learnt it to become a litrate in the business.so in essense,the level of litracy and exposure matters because some people can be exposed to such businesses but stil not a litrate in it.we can't live without at least one of them to some extent in life.no one is fully exposed and litrate

I disagree with you and most vehemently

Perhaps the OP needs to step in and define what he meant as illiterate.

But sha, na wa for all these yah spelling, my oga patapata grin

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 16, 2014
A few months ago I was at the US Embassy. I was waiting outside for my Wife who was having an interview inside.

I had the privilege and good fortune to sit next to a Man that traveled from the eastern states with his Mum who was applying for GC.

We discussed world politics and economics for over an hour. So after a while I asked him which state did he study/live in the US (my assumption was that only someone who had lived in the US would have the keen knowledge he displayed about the US current affairs). I was flabbergasted when he told me he has never traveled outside Nigeria and he has no interest in doing so (everything he needs is here he said). Upon further investigation since my interest was now piqued, he identified himself as a farmer in Imo state but he has a desire to learn about world affairs. So he reads and learns as much as he can in his spare time. He impressed me as someone who should be running some government program in Nigeria.

Anyways this is my example of someone who is borderline illiterate (said he has only school certificate and no need for him for more formal education when I continued to press him to think of immigration) but has exposure in an absolute manner to world affairs. I live in the US and I don't know but this Man knew the year Carter became President and his political party. I can't even tell you when the current US President became elected.

3 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by tonychristopher: 12:52am On Jul 17, 2014
Illiteracy can be handled by teaching the person but lack of exposure is bad. We got peeps that live all their lives in Lagos without travelling out

That is lack of exposure to other climes and it sucks

3 Likes

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by omega2128(m): 2:54am On Jul 17, 2014
two are totally different.

Illiterate is a person who can not read and write, even his own language. Illiteracy is a disease, symptoms and signs are always following illiterate.
Symptoms- inferiority complex, seeing others as arrogant
signs- looking down on illiterate, not worthy of company of educated people.

Lack of exposure- not having required knowledge to meet up with societal standard for specific sector of life.
We all lack exposure in one way or other. Nobody is island of knowledge. My brother told me about nairaland about 4 years ago but I just join nairaland in 2014. All these while, I'd been living in oblivion. Nigerian residing in naija is not exposure to way of life in US, But can research on it and school illiterate who has been living in US for years.
Village champion will be considered as unexposure in city, also city champion will be seen as novice in village but illiterate is illiterate everywhere.

Exposured illiterate is worst human being to deal with. they are full time arrogant. You can't correct them- I've one in my life and many in our society- such as late Adedibu and his friend late arisekola- exposured illiterates. Turned Ibadan to most dirty city in whole Africa (through their influence and power on govt) at the same rode in convoy of highly expensive cars in the same Ibadan.

United Nations is try to eradicate ILLITERACY not LACK OF EXPOSURE.

If you can read my message that means you are not illiterate, and for unexposure that will read this message in future, thanks for catching up in arrear. For illiterate, my message has no graphics- so, nothing to look, nothing for you.

IN FACT, ILLITERATE IS NOT EXPOSE TO EDUCATION.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Infoay: 3:17am On Jul 17, 2014
Choice between the devil and the deep blue sea!
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by rexzqcom(m): 5:55am On Jul 17, 2014
@ Omega2128, Thanks for your write up. People who don't know that literacy is the key to exposure have personal emotional issues.
without literacy the amount of exposures you get about possible realities is very limited. An unlettered person in modern world is analogous to a blind feeling his ways about in the dark. He can manage to master the four corners of his domain, but the vast beauties of the natural and non-natural world are illusions to him.
Some seems to be confusing "exposures and opportunities". There are infinitely more chances for a literate
person to be exposed to opportunity and recognizing the opportunity and seizing it, than for an illiterate who, could misunderstand or misinterpret the chance because he/she cannot decode non-verbal literal clues. Though, there are some functional illiterates, who compensate for their illiteracy by developing other senses like acute memories retention ability to help them get bye. Just like some blinds develop auditory and tactile acuity to compensate for their lack of vision.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by haryomikun(m): 6:31am On Jul 17, 2014
babyBB: guy u speak like an illiterate. they are two different things is better not to be exposed than to be an illitrate
He doesn't speak like an illiterate. He speaks like someone not exposed
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by haryomikun(m): 6:31am On Jul 17, 2014
babyBB: guy u speak like an illiterate. they are two different things is better not to be exposed than to be an illitrate
He doesn't speak like an illiterate. He speaks like someone not exposed
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by kalamayat: 7:10am On Jul 17, 2014
My friend only attended primary school, he has collaborated with masters and Phd degree holders round the world, also represented his country as a senior colleague in different international summit and conferences, he anchored sattelite television programmes where directors of multinational companies and host of others will be present. I want to believe that there are graduates that does not know how many states is in Nigeria, or rather name five states in Nigeria with their capital cities.
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by ebosse(m): 7:11am On Jul 17, 2014

And you have to insult the dude to make a point?.... See y y'all need more exposure in your life?? (Rhetorical Q)....
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by ebosse(m): 7:25am On Jul 17, 2014
kalamayat: My friend only attended primary school, he has collaborated with masters and Phd degree holders round the world, also represented his country as a senior colleague in different international summit and conferences, he anchored sattelite television programmes where directors of multinational companies and host of others will be present. I want to believe that there are graduates that does not know how many states is in Nigeria, or rather name five states in Nigeria with their capital cities.

U can actually tell who's brilliant from a post like this. U don't have to try and convince the mentally retard that exposure is the key to survival.People who managed to obtain a degree from the watered down Educational system from the terrible excuses we call Nigeria universities.. This same graduates who can't operate a smart phone without assistance.And yet they cone here talking about education like a big deal.... I almost cried when I saw fellow corp members like myself getting "Life" tutorials from students who they were suppose to teach!... I can easily fit in because of my exposure. Ppl don't respect you because of your educational status but because of your charisma.

Anyway I don't think I have to convince any1 that exposure is everything!!!!... Let those who have brain think!!
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by omega2128(m): 10:58am On Jul 17, 2014
'blood dey are sharing'
'My fellow widows' and many others were statement made by exposured but illiterate woman. Or better still, she is exposured to everything (private jets, millions of dollars, authority and power to summon any captain of industry in this country, she is like genie- make your wishs come true) but let her speak in public. We all know that she needs educated english teacher.

This remind me of short comedy video of basketmouth, bovi and one other guy in beautiful place. Place meant for exposured people with class. Basketmouth and his cohorts saw beautiful lady and they lost their senses. But this lady speaks out - WHAT I DO?. Basketmouth and his friends ran because they can't stand an illiterate.

Ongoing Confab has proposed that for anyone to contest for political post- such a person must have atleast first degree as the lowest level of education. So, exposure to everything but without certificate- just councillor post you would not be able to contest for.

1 Like

Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by peter4d2(m): 12:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
1 of naija musician I hv admire so much has d ans "to be civilised u don't hv 2 b educated"
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Gorgeous58(f): 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
Both
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by hardbody: 3:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
Rapmoney:

Your reasoning is very poor...not better than that of an illiterate person. Illiteracy in English means someone who can neither read nor write. Does it mean anyone who is not exposed is not able to read or write? Think well before you comment. I pity those ppl who liked your posts.

Illiteracy does not functionally mean inability to read or write, note i said functionally. You may be able to read or write English fluently but you will still be an illiterate in Yoruba or Igbo or Hausa languages, if you can neither read nor write any of those languages
Re: Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? by Gynacologist(m): 11:27pm On Jul 18, 2014
Jennydoris: It's better to lack exposure than to be illiterate. With just travelling u can be exposed to making new friends and meeting new things and learning from them too. But being an illiterate will make you not expose yourself for fear of being exposed of your illiterate nature. grin grin grin grin
kpom kwem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Craziest And Out-of-character Thing You've Ever Done? / How Do I Get My Nigeria National Id Card? / Name One Social Media Slang You Dislike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.