Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? (16739 Views)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by DonOms(m): 11:02am On Jul 15, 2014
MzMariah: My grandparents are left handed too, my dad is from a family of 7 and 6 are left handed, my dad is left handed too so its not my fault I am. that woman just .........I hated myself that day. she did not even say it inside but outside. embarassed

Wow! It runs deep in the family. That is extremely rare for 6 out of 7 in a family to be left-handed - I guess 'cos both parents are.
You didn't have to be embarrassed that day... God has made you different and if anyone thinks that's wrong, then you should know that they are not in their "right" minds. “God created a few perfect people, the rest are right handed.”

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by kaima1984(f): 11:03am On Jul 15, 2014
smudge2079: Left hand is for wiping d ass, dont u dare give me dat.
95% are in a habit of using d right hand,e.g "KAIMA"

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 15, 2014
DonOms:

Wow! It runs deep in the family. That is extremely rare for 6 out of 7 in a family to be left-handed - I guess 'cos both parents are.
You didn't have to be embarrassed that day... God has made you different and if anyone thinks that's wrong, then you should know that they are not in their "right" minds. “God created a few perfect people, the rest are right handed.”
Yes o, my grandparent from my father's side are both left handed and 6 out of the 7 of them are left handed.

My sister's son ( my nephew) is a replica of my dad and is also left handed. I'm not ashame of it anymore.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by coldfury: 11:23am On Jul 15, 2014
Aphrodite4: I've always wondered why this is and I know most Nigerians are right handed but isn't it a bit unfair to lefties? I know handshakes are a bit different but I've actually seen someone apologize for giving someone money with his left hand (his right hand was holding a car battery). Or my favorite - say your right hand is damp and you wanna give something to someone, you'd support what your left is giving with your right hand under it. Beht why? Lol

Not familiar with the cliche "Right is right and left is wrong"? undecided
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 11:34am On Jul 15, 2014
Jamean:

Lolzzz..O ye doubting Thomas, you better believe it
:-P
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2014
eyenCalabar:

Nice piece. But a little correction here: The Bible saying that Jesus sits at the right hand of God doesn't mean He sits at the right hand side of God. There's different between that two. What the Bible says in essence there is that Jesus is sitting in God's position of authority and not necessarily which direction (left, right or centre). For instance, if I say this guy is my right hand man. That means you can deal with him on my behalf. It means I have entrusted my authority on him. He can acts in my place etc. Hope that makes some sense.

I like this..

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by fijiano202(m): 12:38pm On Jul 15, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Come take a hug sweetie ...lol.
thanks darling but am a lil shy
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Lexusgs430: 12:56pm On Jul 15, 2014
In the Nigerian culture, the left hand is what you use to vacuum when you visit the toilet. Hence we deem the left hand, the poopoo hand.
That leaves us with the right hand!!!
NB: Not unless you have 3 hands
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by btoks: 1:40pm On Jul 15, 2014
Bwaal: Bleep culture Bleep religion Bleep respect left rockz
let me give u a check of 1million dollar wiff my left hand and see mayb u will tell mie itz wrong to give wiff left hand
How about going to work in just boxer shorts and see how you'll get on.every society has its culture/tradition and societal norms.I think its up to everyone to try to learn what's accepted in different societies, it's the way its always been.im sure you know that in western climes you can't just decide to preach in public transport, when you'll probably be accepted in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 1:41pm On Jul 15, 2014
kaima1984: 95% are in a habit of using d right hand,e.g "KAIMA"
Ooops! Picture or Idontbelieveit.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by iriskiki(f): 1:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
danex67: Because culture and religion considers it respectful, which makes it ethically right.

Hi. For arguments sake, can you explain why you think that because culture and religion say it is so, makes it ETHICALLY right.

For want of a better example, please refer to the religiocultural belief of marrying many wives with more virgins in heaven, and marrying underage girls.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by kaima1984(f): 2:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
smudge2079:
Ooops! Picture or Idontbelieveit.
hahahahah,come wit ur camera
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by turl(m): 2:38pm On Jul 15, 2014
dakotchic:
Please why are you two making it look like some form of deformity? I'm left handed and very proud, we are usually the smartest of our peerscheesy i'm a living proof
yh reading that now, i see what you mean. I'm actually proud of my southpaw nature - we rock cool cool
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 3:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
Jamean:

lolzzz..bros you can like picture o
Trust me. Who doesn't?

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by misterjosh(m): 4:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
smudge2079: Left hand is for wiping d ass, dont u dare give me dat.
gringrin it's reverse for me, am lefthanded so I wipe my butt wit my right hand. So wen I give u somtin wit my right hand nd u reject, if am in a gud mood I might jst switch to d right or just drop it on d nearest surfacegringrin

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 4:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
misterjosh: gringrin it's reverse for me, am lefthanded so I wipe my butt wit my right hand. So wen I give u somtin wit my right hand nd u reject, if am in a gud mood I might jst switch to d right or just drop it on d nearest surfacegringrin
Urs is an example of d dilemma we all face when right is wrong.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 4:32pm On Jul 15, 2014
misterjosh: gringrin it's reverse for me, am lefthanded so I wipe my butt wit my right hand. So wen I give u somtin wit my right hand nd u reject, if am in a gud mood I might jst switch to d right or just drop it on d nearest surfacegringrin
Urs is an example of d dilemma we all face when right goes wrong.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by misterjosh(m): 4:50pm On Jul 15, 2014
MzMariah: That's how I was disgraced when I went for my friend's wedding. I do everything with my left hand and its not my fault.

I was eating when an elderly woman came and shouted at me saying " why you dey eat with your left hand, your mama no teach you say name right hand people dey use? so my friend came out and said aunty abeg leave her o, na so she be. all her life na left hand, her right hand just dey useless. na only support her right hand dey give her and her papa too na leftie o'. I was so embarrassed and the way this Benin women talk, chai........ I was embarrassed o, I really was embarassed

Well, this is who I am sha, I was born this way and I did not create myself.
U seem nice, am also lefthanded too. I wuld av talked down on d busybodied old lady nd asked her to mind her business. If God didn't want us to use d left hand to interact wit other pple, He wuld av made it shorter than d right, but they're of equal lenght so wat's d fuss. Use wic ever u're comfortable wit.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 15, 2014
misterjosh: U seem nice, am also lefthanded too. I wuld av talked down on d busybodied old lady nd asked her to mind her business. If God didn't want us to use d left hand to interact wit other pple, He wuld av made it shorter than d right, but they're of equal lenght so wat's d fuss. Use wic ever u're comfortable wit.
Talked down on the woman? they will say you are rude. smiley
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by misterjosh(m): 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2014
MzMariah: Talked down on the woman? they will say you are rude. smiley
Some old pple culd b rude nd annoying too
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by misterjosh(m): 5:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
iriskiki:

Hi. For arguments sake, can you explain why you think that because culture and religion say it is so, makes it ETHICALLY right.

For want of a better example, please refer to the religiocultural belief of marrying many wives with more virgins in heaven, and marrying underage girls.

Thanks.
Thanks, it was this same culture of some pple dat endorsed the killing of twins som tym past, did dat making killing of twins a gud thing... Hell nooo

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Ptoocool(m): 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2014
p2t2r: better you keep shut, so we'll think you're an idio't, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Who's noa d idiot nao??

U see @times itz qood to kip quiet @times..
You jst show the whole world ow much of α fool you are..
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by zurine(f): 5:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by toshmann(m): 12:52am On Jul 16, 2014
I was born left handed. My parents forcefully "converted" me to right handed dude
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2014
toshmann: I was born left handed. My parents forcefully "converted" me to right handed dude

Wow.. That's just.. Can u use both now??
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Lordwheez(m): 12:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
the reason is not farfetched............any thing that is not RIGHT is WRONG........thasall
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by nnapo: 11:05pm On Jul 16, 2014
Aphrodite4: I've always wondered why this is and I know most Nigerians are right handed but isn't it a bit unfair to lefties? I know handshakes are a bit different but I've actually seen someone apologize for giving someone money with his left hand (his right hand was holding a car battery). Or my favorite - say your right hand is damp and you wanna give something to someone, you'd support what your left is giving with your right hand under it. Beht why? Lol
ironically, most of the successful people who have had impact on this world are left handed

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by toshmann(m): 3:33am On Jul 20, 2014
Aphrodite4:

Wow.. That's just.. Can u use both now??
I'm right handed now. But I play soccer with both legs.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 8:52am On Jul 20, 2014
toshmann:
I'm right handed now. But I play soccer with both legs.

That's cool.. What abt games like squash or table tennis, what hand would you use to play??
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by toshmann(m): 12:58am On Jul 23, 2014
Aphrodite4:

That's cool..

thanks sister. By the way, you're cool wink

What abt games like squash or table tennis, what hand would you use to play??
I only play soccer. . . . . .and bedmatics cool . I tried cricket in England. . . . disaster. grin
I use both legs for soccer, and the other leg for bedmatics.
Hey sister, can I have ya number. I'm a saint. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emmanuel Ekemejewan Sideso's 10th Coronation Anniversary As The Ovie Of Uvwie / Cultural Preservation And Masquerades / Emir Sanusi Lamido Joins MTN Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.