Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195909 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:29pm On Jan 19, 2015
Karleb:

Alright. But do you realize that this thread was dead for weeks and you did nothing about it? undecided

Gameboi abeg add hymns.
been busy... No chance to sit down and think of what to share
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by webmasterss: 7:34pm On Jan 19, 2015
Dramadiddy:
do mi, re fa, mi so, so ti, la do, ti re, ti re, do mi, re fa, re fa, mi so, so do
I dont understand u ooo. I meant that thing he played after ...BUT THE SONG OF PRAISE OGENE DOH OOO. TAN TAN TAN ... do u get me now
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
webmasterss:
I dont understand u ooo. I meant that thing he played after ...BUT THE SONG OF PRAISE OGENE DOH OOO. TAN TAN TAN ... do u get me now
yea dats wat i wrote, dose two two notes u ll play dem together at dsame time den play d next one
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 12:28am On Jan 20, 2015
Happy new year to all my boss in d house...being a while thank God for bringing us back together.
Just wanna post some of my video links here for intermediate to spice up ur piano style as a Gospel Musician. Remain blessed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjDUOup_sk
This first one is on tritone
http://www.hulkshare.com/pianistsegz10
This second is an audio listen to it to add more chords to ur vocabulary. Will upload more soonest God bless you.
For contact mail...
Segunoluremi2011@yahoo.com
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 7:20pm On Jan 22, 2015
I have something musical to share to you guys.. But before we do that I wanna make sure everyone understands..it's gonna change your sound on the piano.. So I need everyone's interaction.. First lets be general.. What do you understand by the word "substitution"??

Cc :
Gameboi
karleb
dehero1
pianistsegz2000
Zbone
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 7:32pm On Jan 22, 2015
Substitution means; taking in B to replace A and to perform the same functions as A in a better way.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 7:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
Nice one karleb.. Wanna hear responses from others gameboi zbone dehero1 and everyone
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 9:04pm On Jan 22, 2015
substitution? is lyk some other chord that can replace a particular chord. it could be based on some rule.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 9:08pm On Jan 22, 2015
Pianistsegz200:
Happy new year to all my boss in d house...being a while thank God for bringing us back together.
Just wanna post some of my video links here for intermediate to spice up ur piano style as a Gospel Musician. Remain blessed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjDUOup_sk
This first one is on tritone
http://www.hulkshare.com/pianistsegz10
This second is an audio listen to it to add more chords to ur vocabulary. Will upload more soonest God bless you.
For contact mail...
Segunoluremi2011@yahoo.com
nyc tutorial you have there sir. pls work on the audio quality for future videos.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:16pm On Jan 22, 2015
zbone:
substitution? is lyk some other chord that can replace a particular chord. it could be based on some rule.
well not really another chord though
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:24pm On Jan 22, 2015
Okay what I wanted to explain is "harmonic substitution". There are different types, I'm gonna explain one now, it is harmonic substitution by tritone. Let's say I'm on Cmaj, I wanna play a 5-chord to resolve to the 1. The 5 is G, the tritone of G is B nd F, so that means I can play B F//D G B as my 5-chord, but think about this.. B and F are notes that make up the tritone for Db too, so that implies that I can play B F//Ab Db F as a 5-chord and resolve to Cmaj, if you think wider you'll realize you can play any Db dom chord and it will work too. Hope you guys understand.. Please ponder on it
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:33pm On Jan 22, 2015
The next one I wanna explain is harmonic substitution by "harmonic content". I love this style cos it makes your chords sound so different when it's actually the same thing. I love using this method on big chords tho, so I can have different chords out of one chord. So how does this work?

let's take Cdom 13 which is C E G Bb D A
I can change the notes of this chord so it looks like its a different chord

I can play it as G D A // C E G Bb (Gmin13)
A E G C // E G Bb D (min11b9)

so in this case one chord is turning into different things.. And it sounds sounds fuller with the bass in too.. Cheers
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by DeHero1: 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2015
Dramadiddy:
Okay what I wanted to explain is "harmonic substitution". There are different types, I'm gonna explain one now, it is harmonic substitution by tritone. Let's say I'm on Cmaj, I wanna play a 5-chord to resolve to the 1. The 5 is G, the tritone of G is B nd F, so that means I can play B F//D G B as my 5-chord, but think about this.. B and F are notes that make up the tritone for Db too, so that implies that I can play B F//Ab Db F as a 5-chord and resolve to Cmaj, if you think wider you'll realize you can play any Db dom chord and it will work too. Hope you guys understand.. Please ponder on it

Gaskiya, me I no understand o
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 11:10pm On Jan 22, 2015
Dramadiddy:
The next one I wanna explain is harmonic substitution by "harmonic content". I love this style cos it makes your chords sound so different when it's actually the same thing. I love using this method on big chords tho, so I can have different chords out of one chord. So how does this work?

let's take Cdom 13 which is C E G Bb D A
I can change the notes of this chord so it looks like its a different chord

I can play it as G D A // C E G Bb (Gmin13)
A E G C // E G Bb D (min11b9)

so in this case one chord is turning into different things.. And it sounds sounds fuller with the bass in too.. Cheers
how where they formed?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 11:39pm On Jan 22, 2015
@Drammadiddy, I think I get this, but I never knew that's how a tritone is formed, the 3rd and the dom7.

@the second post, I saw a similar approach on playpianotoday but that only applies to dom11 chords sha. As in, cutting out the last three keys of a dom11 and playing with the tonic of the key you are on the bass.

I'll surely try these techniques out and give you a feedback tomorrow.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:28am On Jan 23, 2015
zbone:

how where they formed?
by repositioning the notes of the initial chord, when you reposition it, especially changing the bass note, it becomes a new chord.. Not really new because u know how you formed it, but if you try naming the new chord,, u ll discover its no more the name u knew it as.. Just think about it very well, you'll understand
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:29am On Jan 23, 2015
DeHero1:

Gaskiya, me I no understand o
which part do you not understand.. Bolden it. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:32am On Jan 23, 2015
Karleb:
@Drammadiddy, I think I get this, but I never knew that's how a tritone is formed, the 3rd and the dom7.

@the second post, I saw a similar approach on playpianotoday but that only applies to dom11 chords sha. As in, cutting out the last three keys of a dom11 and playing with the tonic of the key you are on the bass.

I'll surely try these techniques out and give you a feedback tomorrow.
3 nd dom7 just apply to dom chords because in their structure, they have a "1-b5" interval. The second method works with any chord at all.. Just think of it as permutation and combination
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 8:22am On Jan 23, 2015
@dramadiddy
I know of chord substitution very well. I use them particularly in opening up chords.
@Karleb
The only hymn I know is 'Let us with a gladsome mind'. I'll try to get the rest from a Music sheet.
@Zbone DeHero1
Happy New Year.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:54am On Jan 23, 2015
gameboi:
@dramadiddy
I know of chord substitution very well. I use them particularly in opening up chords.
@Karleb
The only hymn I know is 'Let us with a gladsome mind'. I'll try to get the rest from a Music sheet.
@Zbone DeHero1
Happy New Year.

Nice then
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:56am On Jan 23, 2015
So what voicing :

3 6//2 5 7

Used to pronounce melodies.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 8:59am On Jan 23, 2015
Dramadiddy:
by repositioning the notes of the initial chord, when you reposition it, especially changing the bass note, it becomes a new chord.. Not really new because u know how you formed it, but if you try naming the new chord,, u ll discover its no more the name u knew it as.. Just think about it very well, you'll understand
so when you reposition notes in a chord, I'm guessing not all of them will fit in properly, so its kinda like a trial and error sort of thing?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 9:02am On Jan 23, 2015
gameboi:
@dramadiddy
@Karleb
@Zbone DeHero1
Happy New Year.

a happy new year to you bruv
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by DeHero1: 9:51am On Jan 23, 2015
gameboi:
DeHero1
Happy New Year.

Thanks. Happy New Year to u too
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by DeHero1: 10:05am On Jan 23, 2015
Dramadiddy:

Since I don't know Tritone, that means I don't understand d remaining explanation. I guess that's wat d video explained but I couldn't get it well due to d background noise. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:25am On Jan 23, 2015
DeHero1:

Since I don't know Tritone, that means I don't understand d remaining explanation. I guess that's wat d video explained but I couldn't get it well due to d background noise. Thanks.
a tritone is simply a 1 and a flatted fifth e.g C Gb, D Ab. Now the fifth degree of your major scale is a dominant chord. So example on C, C D E F "G", a G dom chord is G B D F, this chord has a tritone in it which is B F. Hope you can join my first post and this one for clarity
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:30am On Jan 23, 2015
zbone:

so when you reposition notes in a chord, I'm guessing not all of them will fit in properly, so its kinda like a trial and error sort of thing?
yeah but you know there are voicings, there are a lot of power chords.. the main aim of this method is to play one chord in so many ways. For example, do you know you can play a Cmaj13 like this : C E A//D G B. It's a lot of work but there's a lot of musical things you can do with this
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Karleb(m): 10:36am On Jan 23, 2015
To all of you using tritones, hope you know it was formerly known. as "The devils chord" ? lipsrsealed
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 11:28am On Jan 23, 2015
Dramadiddy:
yeah but you know there are voicings, there are a lot of power chords.. the main aim of this method is to play one chord in so many ways. For example, do you know you can play a Cmaj13 like this : C E A//D G B. It's a lot of work but there's a lot of musical things you can do with this
yeah, I like this arrangement, where you can play a triad with the right hand. when you say a lot of musical things, can you give an example.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by zbone(m): 11:31am On Jan 23, 2015
Karleb:
To all of you using tritones, hope you know it was formerly known. as "The devils chord" ? lipsrsealed

story for the ... grin
Karleb:

story for the ...
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 11:48am On Jan 23, 2015
zbone:

yeah, I like this arrangement, where you can play a triad with the right hand. when you say a lot of musical things, can you give an example.
what I like about this is that, if a have a big and very non-diatonic chord, that is, where the notes are out of scale, I can play one chord and its substitutions in any open space in a song.. Lol just try this method, walai u ll love it
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 11:50am On Jan 23, 2015
Karleb:
*singing in Beyoncé's voice "thiiiiiss is suuuuper storyyyyyy"

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.