Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Guyana - Telling It As It Is - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Guyana - Telling It As It Is (15390 Views)

About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. / Living In Guyana / Guyana Visa How Is It Obtain In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Originalsly: 3:55am On Aug 15, 2014
dd25251: @originalsly. Thanks for posting your comments here rather than attempting to send me several messages to my email. I appreciate it. Thanks again. I prefer all discussion to remain on this forum. I decline all messages sent to my inbox for security reasons. Sorry.
My bad..I'll keep it on the board. I se.t you one message via NL...why say messages? My intention was to privately advise you to follow Joel3's advice to let certain comments slide. You did not contact me and I left it alone but quietly watched as things fell apart. On security....it is for security reason we have to request contact via NL. You thought it best to furnish your full name, an email address and BB pin but now have such security concerns. You have given me enough to come to the conclusion that all is not well upstairs or....you are too full of yourself and believe Nairalanders are gullible. My advice to you is always first test the depth of the water before you plunge head first into it. We are here to share and learn....but can also burn. My lips are sealed.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Eke40seven(m): 6:42am On Aug 15, 2014
Dear Ms Anthony (sorry if I got your title wrongly) I have followed your posts closely and I must admit that am quite impressed by your account of how you view Nigeria and how you have wonderfully portrayed the beauty of your countrymen and successfully linked it with that of mine and if anything is in doubt, the matured, subtle and loving manner you handled both the good, bad and aggressive responses here clears it.
Am particularly impressed by the cool, loving and collected manner in which you replied some of our doubting Thomases whose reply to your perceived 'patronising' comments have been borderline offensive. You have indeed portrayed the character which you claimed were of your people (which may also be attributed to your clergy background)
However, you must note that one characteristic which we here in Nigeria share is that paranoic view of every scheme and attitude appearing 'too good' superficially because culturally, it is a thing of utter derision and shame to fall, be fooled or pranked by hideous schemes which abounds in many big cities here. Also, ignore the banter and invectives people here throw at each other because they are deeply light hearted. It is common for one to hear and laugh over being called 'mumu' or 'ode' (fool) Olodo (dunce). especially among the men
Your accounts of Nigerians are true, however, you must also understand that we are very diverse culturally, ethnically and even individually (we identify ourselves by ethnicity first). The people you will likely meet outside are the southern variety e.g Igbo (yours sincerely), Yoruba, and others, even as such, we are so diverse that twenty countries could still be created from us and it will still not be enough. However, we all have things in common, and that is happiness, aggressiveness, the determination for success, intelligence, domination. We are infectious, opportunistic, hard working, cultured, strong, religious, handsome, family oriented, tough, elegant and also humorous with that deep never-give-up attitude which is uniquely Naija. The degree to which this character is displayed vary among the diverse ethnic groups.
Just like your country, the common Nigerian on the street is extremely welcoming of foreigners, all you need do is to speak with a foreign accent, you will be welcomed with broad smiles and a response that attempts to mimic (although badly most times) your accent. Although some may look unimpressed facially, but deeply, its just an attempt to show off to others watching in the open that they are extremely used to foreigners, and won't want to be openly patronising so not to show an 'unexposed' behaviour, "them no want fall their hand", in local parlance.
And for the men, be careful because they can be infectiously addictive® for any woman. That is why they are hard to let go of even the bad ones. and if you meet a good one, (which abounds), only a heavenly rehab will purge you off the addiction. That's why they are well sought after any where they go and they also won't mind exploring (It is extremely hard for them to come back single from a foreign land). I am not trying to make a case for the dubious ones, however, I must tell you that they are not inherently built that way, it is rather the perception of being a failure in a foreign land and that sense of duty to care for family back home that drives them to such extreme lengths.
Further, I would doubt that Nigerians will like the description of a place that is not economically viable enough to meet their 'get-rich-quick' objectives, however, they are good at testing the waters and have that instinct to see opportunity where it seem not to exist.
Although our women are equally extremely nice and infectious, however, they are less exploring of foreign men and rightly so (who would? when you have the luxury of choosing from the best and caring breeds of 'love machines' willing and waiting to blow your mind away with the added thrill of picking from a poll of more than 80 million!)
I appreciate your love and it is fully replicated. I will continue at a later time to give more of my own account and would appreciate more of yours.
Best regards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Joel3(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2014
Originalsly: @Poster.....I'm confused. Is this thread really about Guyana?...or about you? If it's about Guyana then let the spotlight be on Guyana and not yourself.

shut up.. Oooh you even sent her a private message? Now can I see... Why talking to her in private since you want to know more about guyana or advice her? or you are trying to tell us you are not interested in her and don't want to tasks her... Fool, For your information My instinct tells me alot.

1 Like

Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Originalsly: 8:48am On Aug 15, 2014
Joel3:

shut up.. Oooh you even sent her a private message? Now can I see... Why talking to her in private since you want to know more about guyana or advice her? or you are trying to tell us you are not interested in her and don't want to tasks her... Fool, For your information My instinct tells me alot.

Private message supporting what you said....which would keep the thread on track....which is supposed to be all about Guyana. Not interested in anyone in forums...just their ideas, comments and experiences. Hmmm....wonder why this strong reaction from you? Is it that........like you said...let me shut up. @ Eke40seven.... it's nice to have PR rep from the Tourism Board here in the forum...excellent job!
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Joel3(m): 2:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Originalsly: Private message supporting what you said....which would keep the thread on track....which is supposed to be all about Guyana. Not interested in anyone in forums...just their ideas, comments and experiences. Hmmm....wonder why this strong reaction from you? Is it that........like you said...let me shut up. @ Eke40seven.... it's nice to have PR rep from the Tourism Board here in the forum...excellent job!

I am not opposing you for contacting her privately or anyone else. nairaland is a social media and nairaland as the platform for private contact. It is a free world and you have the right to contact anyone in private either they like it or not and the least they can do is to ignore you.

its a free world and that's why PM function is there. But I am only referring to what you said up there not because you contact her.

by Originalsly: @Poster.....I'm confused. Is this thread really about Guyana?...or about you? If it's about Guyana then let the spotlight be on Guyana and not yourself.

And also she respond to you here in that manner exposing that you contact her privately all because of what you said here.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by amnestylaw1(m): 3:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
I have followed this thread for some days now and I have read several comments- some cool, some harsh, and others neutral. While "I will give my life" to defend people's rights to voice their opinions, I will equally "give up my life" to defend other people's rights to be "respected" and treated "fairly." That Ms Anthony created this thread to inform us about her beloved country, or that some Nairalanders tilted the conversation from Guyana and Guyanese towards focusing on the person of Ms Anthony should not be enough reasons to quarrel among ourselves or hurl "abusive words" on Ms Anthony or fellow Nigerians.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in the skepticism displayed by lillaowow in his/her post(s). In fact, we should all be skeptical of any post we read here on NL even if it comes from the so-called reliable sources like our national dailies. History has repeatedly shown that skepticism, garnished with rationalism, help(s) us thread on a safe path. I also think there is nothing wrong in giving Ms Anthony the benefit of the doubt by not trying to "attack" her as though she had ulterior motives for coming on here, posting her pics, her ministry's website etc. There are many foreigners here who also post here. Many have their pictures here too. Ms Anthony (if she really is the one in the pic and if she is whom she claims she is) should be able to post her picture and personal info on her NL account if she so desire. Even if she, like many of us on NL, would like to "catch" a friend of the opposite sex (gender?), for heaven's sake, she has all the rights to do so. It should not be my business that she wants to catch "our guys" as some have been trying to insinuate from the tone of their responses.

I think Ms Anthony makes references to Nigerians in her comments for the following reasons:

1) She has worked (and still seems to be working) with few Nigerians in Guayana, and have come to somewhat understand and like them.

2) She is trying to make a connection between herself and her African past. Remember, she is one of us whose great-great grand-parents were taken away from this continent during the slave trade era.

3) She perhaps, is trying to educate us on the reality that not all that shines is gold. You see, many of us would sell our properties, get indebted, just to travel to Guyana and anywhere called "abroad" only to realize that we were better off staying at home. We end up taking smelly, laborious jobs and try to make ends meet...

Please let's all try to patient with one another. We don't need to attack each other. We should try to respect everyone irrespective of their belief or reason(s) for creating their thread. We should try to give Ms Anthony the benefit of the doubt that she exists and is whom she claims to be. We should also be skeptical of every post coming from her, from me, from everyone on this thread and other threads such that, when we smell rat, we can back off, alert others, and not fall trap. We can do this without resorting to name calling or e-violence.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by lillaowow(m): 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2014
amnestylaw1:
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in the skepticism displayed by lillaowow in his/her post(s). In fact, we should all be skeptical of any post we read here on NL even if it comes from the so-called reliable sources like our national dailies. History has repeatedly shown that skepticism, garnished with rationalism, help(s) us thread on a safe path. I also think there is nothing wrong in giving Ms Anthony the benefit of the doubt by not trying to "attack" her as though she had ulterior motives for coming on here, posting her pics, her ministry's website etc. There are many foreigners here who also post here. Many have their pictures here too. Ms Anthony (if she really is the one in the pic and if she is whom she claims she is) should be able to post her picture and personal info on her NL account if she so desire. Even if she, like many of us on NL, would like to "catch" a friend of the opposite sex (gender?), for heaven's sake, she has all the rights to do so. It should not be my business that she wants to catch "our guys" as some have been trying to insinuate from the tone of their responses.

I think Ms Anthony makes references to Nigerians in her comments for the following reasons:

1) She has worked (and still seems to be working) with few Nigerians in Guayana, and have come to somewhat understand and like them.

2) She is trying to make a connection between herself and her African past. Remember, she is one of us whose great-great grand-parents were taken away from this continent during the slave trade era.

3) She perhaps, is trying to educate us on the reality that not all that shines is gold. You see, many of us would sell our properties, get indebted, just to travel to Guyana and anywhere called "abroad" only to realize that we were better off staying at home. We end up taking smelly, laborious jobs and try to make ends meet...

Please let's all try to patient with one another. We don't need to attack each other. We should try to respect everyone irrespective of their belief or reason(s) for creating their thread. We should try to give Ms Anthony the benefit of the doubt that she exists and is whom she claims to be. We should also be skeptical of every post coming from her, from me, from everyone on this thread and other threads such that, when we smell rat, we can back off, alert others, and not fall trap. We can do this without resorting to name calling or e-violence.

it was just the right question for me to ask. I like her openness though. Ms Anthony, Good luck withthe Ministry and Love life.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by holyghostfire: 11:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
Loolz...NL I've been going through every comment and I hv came to realise that the Society ia not a grave yard to be quite at all time at least there should be a minimal level of conflict to galvanise issues of existing problem. There are some assumptions we nigerians make and beliefs we hold tenaciously and feel they are unquestionable because either we ourselves out of passion and emotion have not questioned them or no one has bothered to question them. Now the beliefs we assumes are so certain that they can not be doubted,but when we start asking questions about them or when someone starts questioning them, we will discover that they can be indeed subjected to doubt. My fellow NLders what I'm trying to point out is that we should not blame or condemn anybody who in one way or the other questioning or doubting what dd25251 has said so far. The person is trying to know more about her and the reasons behind her love for nigerians. And moreover @joel pls don't take things personal cos I feel dat dd25251 is d type that is ready to give a positive answers to relevant questions. Thnks and God bless.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 4:08am On Aug 16, 2014
@ all contributors, thank you. I don't know where to begin but just to let you know that I'm truly loving the open discourse from various points of views.
@ joel3, I think that you were one of the first contributors to this forum, I appreciate your comments. You enlightened me and confirmed some of the reasons for the way Nigerians think the way they do. Thanks
@eke40seven, I love your detailed description and explanation of Nigerians and perceptions etc. You're spot on about the addictive nature of anyone connecting with your men(good or bad ones). You're also correct to say that skepticism is normal because of the frequencies of scams and schemes. Most Nigerians that I've met are skeptics but in dealing with me, I get the best of them because they realise that I'm not one of the many fakes around. They would reveal to me things that they would never say to other Africans. Thanks eke40seven
@lillaowow, you and I are cool. I'm accustom to your personality because I've experienced it in China. I'm not offended at all so just know that we're ok oooh. Thanks for adding some heat to the discussion. I love you ooooh. You are Nigerian.
@originalsly, thanks to you for your comments.
@amnestylaw1, thank you. Like I said you sound so much like a Guyanese but you confirmed that you're Nigerian so that again demonstrates the variety in Nigerians in terms of their outlook to life.
@holyghostfire, thank you for reminding us not to take things personal but keep our minds open to a variety of opinions.

One of the reasons I love Nigerians is for their openness (wrong or right). The few(male and female) that I met in China stimulated my connection and appreciation of Nigerians. I still don't like semo but I love the way they cook beans (at least the ones cooked in China) - hot and spicy.
I spent two years in Shenzhen, China (August 2012 - to current) as an International Computer Science teacher at Shenzhen College of International Education (www.alevel.com.cn). During this time, I attended and still do all-African church (mainly Kenyan, Nigerian and Ghanaian). The General Overseer being Nigerian. In fact, the African-China experience (or Nigerian experience) is what led to be launching Power of God Ministry International Guyana when I was home (Guyana) for the summer vacation. On my return home for the summer, I also recognised that many Nigerians are now currently successfully in Guyana pursuing medical degrees while others are there because they thought that they were going to a land of milk and honey but realised that was a dream and not reality.
Two of the Nigerians that I met in the church in China are loud, aggressive and opinionated while the others are calm. The two are my closest friends and we had the most fights because while I'm not loud or aggressive, I too am opinionated. However, when those two friends are sweet, they are really sweet. One is male and the other female just in case anyone is wondering if they were my boyfriends.
My view of Ghanaians is that the men are generally gentlemen and treat their spouses or girlfriends well. The women (I've met both aggressive and calm ones-some controlled their husbands or boyfriends). Ghanaians are hardworking and tend to be favoured more for teaching jobs in China than Nigerians. Ghanaians tend to say "yes" when they mean "no" and vice versa. It's for this reason that I fell in love with Nigerians because what I saw is what I got. They can be brutally honest and I love the honesty even if it's painful.
Kenyan men and women and calm, hardworking and generally peaceful people.

Please note that my description of the three nationalities is based on my little encounter of the few I met so it's not a description that should be generalised to everyone. I'm aware as some of you mentioned that Nigeria's population is large and diverse also I know that Ghana and Kenya is the same. I've met less than .5% of the three nations.

It's difficult me to refer to any country without referring to its people. For me, people take priority over nature and other physical things.

I am real 100%. I don't have a blackberry and never owned one to date as someone mentioned that I posted a blackberry pin. Maybe some other number was mistaken for that. I tried as much to add a face to Profile owner (me) of this post so that we could feel the human touch. I also added all my personal information so that you can verify my details if you wish. I'll do so again.

Please feel free to ask any question.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Eke40seven(m): 6:33am On Aug 16, 2014
Diane (forgive me if that was too informal) I appreciate your openness and honesty and your true intentions are obviously not in doubt. I personally have always been fascinated by stories of people from 'exotic places' especially people of African origin having the view of Africa from a positive light.
Your post had piqued my interest in knowing one or two things about Guyana. Consequently, It was interesting to know that Guyana has a thing with diversity more than we can imagine for a country of that size. From what I gathered, people of Indian origin (not the Native Americans) actually constitute a majority, (Over 50% or more of your population) and they still stick to their Hindu beliefs, and there are also a Native American minority. I used to think they were all blacks!
What is the integration like between the various groups, in terms of marriage, social integration, etc? Are there marked barriers and taboos placed on intermarriage? Are there more 'pure bloods' (sorry if that sounds offensive, I used it because of the lack of a better description) than mulattoes and how has it affected your country? How do the Guyanese view Nigerians? I.e, if there are enough of them there. Are they open to them?
I would like to briefly share our experience here about ethnic integration and may be give more details later.
As I posted earlier, although we share some common characteristics, the intensity of each character varies among different groups, we are actually a nation of many nations and each sub nation has defining characteristics or stereotypes which may not be too obvious to an outsider unfamiliar with the various ethnicities. These stereotypes abound in this forum. These characteristics are what make us a country, strong and unique and sometimes weak as a whole. (centuries of mutual exchange and rejections of behaviour, customs, religion, peace and war) This variety is what spices up the humans called Nigerians. Apart from the harmless bickering and mild arrogant display of superiority of one tribe over another (not denying pockets of violence which occur once in a while, exaggerated by such regions plagued by it), we all actually crave or cherish many things about each others culture and it gives us the benefits of making choices from the pool of varieties that exist in the various aspects of life. For instance, the Efik and Ibibio are famed for their delicious delicacies and neatness, so, I as an Igbo although with similar characteristics may decide to go outside my regular Igbo cuisine (which by the way are numerous and delicious) and decide to have a taste of a mouth watering Erik or Ibibio delicacy which could be just be 3 Neighbour's door away or a walk down the street.
Here are some stereotypes that persist among them (positives):
Igbo: strong and industrious, intelligent and business minded, determined with a typical quest for wealth, dominating, distinguishably beautiful/handsome, unquenching love for the family and good husbands and wife, scattered every where on this earth but with a strong attachment to their ancestral home and 95% Christians.
Hausa/Fulani: Very simple and downright honest, welcoming, love their language, strong and very hardworking; their looks poles between the very dark Sudanese look of the pure Hausa to the light skinned Fulanis but they both have that strong, tall and lean features which is particularly handsome/beautiful. 95% Muslims
Yoruba: very respectful, Fun loving, honest, cultured and educated; honest and politically inclined with a strong attachment to their traditions and pride in their heritage. 45% Christians-45% Muslims and 10% traditional.
(Estimates are not official).
......I will continue later.......
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 7:38am On Aug 16, 2014
@Eke40seven, thanks for sharing. To answer your question, the integration between blacks and East Indians has a history of distaste from East Indians. However, Guyana is now taking on a more multicultural look in terms of the ethnic integration. It's not uncommon now to see a black guy with an East Indian girlfriend/wife and vice versa. The children of mixed race are called "dougla". Also, traditionally, East Indian girls were seen to have flat bottoms and the men skinny. However, East Indian girls now look similar to black girls in their rear ends and the East Indian guys look muscular and athletic like black guys. A common saying is that East Indian girls have earned an increase in their bottom size as a result of having intercourse with black men. I haven't heard of the reason for the East Indian guys transformation. However, I have seen many of them in gyms when I went home for summer so this could be an attributing factor. I have no proof but it's possible that there's still a taboo in traditional East Indian villages for an East Indian girl to have an intimate relationship with a black guy and vice versa. Traditionally, I heard that it was ok for East Indians to have black friends but not as intimate partners. Traditionally, black women taught that East Indian men were not verile enough and referred to them as soft (referring to their private parts). Black men generally had no problem with having intimate relationships with an East Indian girl.

There is a perceived level of racism between East Indians and blacks and this becomes more evident during national elections when East Indians tend to vote for East Indians and blacks vote for blacks. Many blacks claim that they migrate to other countries because of Indian domination in key positions of employment and that they are barred from obtaining certain jobs. The East Indians claimed a similar story when Guyana was ruled by a black President many years ago. This story is similar to tribal rift and complaints in Nigeria and some other African countries.

You're correct to say that there more East Indians in Guyana, they being the majority of the population. Well, one can say that there are pure blacks, pure East Indians and pure Amerindians in Guyana by personal appearance but I don't really know for sure if someone that looks black is really authentic black if there is such a description.

Recently when i went home I saw a few Nigerians and were told that Guyana now has several. However, surprisingly, the few Guyanese that I met didn't speak well of the Nigerians. Also, some Nigerians said that they were no treated well by our immigration officers upon entering Guyana. I think that the global media did a perfect job of demoralising Nigerians, not saying that some Nigerians have not contributed to that image as well. However, the media never seems to focus on the great Nigerians who are honest, law-abiding citizens and making a worthwhile contribution to the global economy. Well, I used that opportunity to reach out to the few Nigerians that I met and offer them the true, Guyanese hospitality for which we're known for.

Guyana and Nigeria share a lot in common but the citizens of both countries may not be aware of it.
Hindus and Muslims generally stick to their traditional beliefs as you rightly said. This is similar to Nigerian tribal system
Hindus, Muslims and Amerindians have their unique foods just like the blacks but some foods are common across all races - like the staple rice
Hindus (only East Indians can be Hindus) and Muslims are generally richer and own more lands than the blacks
Like you and the Irik food, many black people including myself love Indian food (Curry, roti, dhal etc).
I have 2 ibo friends and they match the characteristics that you described.
We use Farine which you call Gharri.
We use Coo which you prepare differently and call semo
Our foofoo is made from green plantain
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by MOBBDEEP: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2014
@ dd25251, your heart is simply golden & beautiful!!!
By the way, where were you taught English-language? Cos, for a foreigner, your mastery & handling of the language is laudable & impeccable.

You didn't give a prominent image of how you see the Ghanaians?
Ooooohhhh!!!, Ghanaian-teachers are preferred in China to Nigerians, I see.
They are simply wonderful, amazing & seem to be natural born teachers.
My best teacher till date is Mrs Achaempong - my Nursery II Ghanaian class-mistress who returned back to Ghana in 1989/1990.
My dream is to still locate her.

Yeah!!!, life is not just about materialism & riches-amassing. But, then one has to be successful.
Won't probably be visiting your place till nearest future, perhaps, as a tourist.
For now, my quest to attain my career set-goal is only making me to eye intently Canada, Aussie or New-Zealand. It is virtually driving me crazy.

Just keep up your good works.
Hope to see more of you here.
Pls, kindly do respond to Eke40seven's viewpoint.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by holyghostfire: 9:24am On Aug 18, 2014
The house is becoming dull, what's happening @dd25251 and rest
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 11:10am On Aug 18, 2014
@Eke40seven, MOBBDEEP and holyghostfire and to the rest of contributor for some reason, I was blocked from replying to this forum. Also, I posted a very long comment after Eke40seven's comment but for some reason that post magically disappear. I'm only now able to click reply. I was about to give up on this site and never return again. Strange enough, there seems to be no one to contact if anything goes wrong with a profile on this site. Thanks for your comment MOBBDEEP. I'm going to reply to Eke40seven and hope this time that my comment appears. However, I'll type it in a Word document and save it this time before posting because I certainly can't remember everything that I wrote then.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 11:15am On Aug 18, 2014
My Profile also disappear. I'm not sure that I want to contribute to this site anymore. Has anyone had a similar problem before?
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 11:15am On Aug 18, 2014
I mean profile picture. Was it too decent for the forum?
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by amnestylaw1(m): 12:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
I am able to view your profile and picture. Could it be the case that the problem is from your side?
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 12:51pm On Aug 18, 2014
@amnestlaw1, thank you for this information. It may be China's great firewall. Are you able to view the post that I made immediately after Eke40seven (105)? thanks. I just had to cancel a website registration with a US-based company because I'm unable to use it because of the Great Wall.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Eke40seven(m): 1:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
dd25251: @amnestlaw1, thank you for this information. It may be China's great firewall. Are you able to view the post that I made immediately after Eke40seven (105)? thanks. I just had to cancel a website registration with a US-based company because I'm unable to use it because of the Great Wall.
I encountered similar problems over the weekend. Immediately after posting this comment on the thread, I took my time to post a lengthy and generous comment on a thread in this travel section. Bingo! I earned myself a ban and my comments removed.
I was whining all through the weekend. I launch the complain to the moderator and basically it was a software error. Its an antispambot used on the forum.
Here, is what I gathered: when you get a ban by anti spam, send a personal message to the moderators, I know Justcul, and you get unbanned immediately. Your comments too will be restored.
I know how you felt, but let that not discourage you, this whole thing is due to a computer error.
P.S: when typing lengthy comments, generously use enough paragraphs in between, I heard the antispambot doesn't look down well on lengthy 'paragraph-less' comments.
I hope this helps.
Thanks.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by amnestylaw1(m): 1:43pm On Aug 18, 2014
dd25251: @amnestlaw1, thank you for this information. It may be China's great firewall. Are you able to view the post that I made immediately after Eke40seven (105)? thanks. I just had to cancel a website registration with a US-based company because I'm unable to use it because of the Great Wall.

After Eke40seven's comments at 6:33 am on August 16, your next comments (which am able to view) are numbers 109, 110, 111, and 113.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Joel3(m): 2:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
i am sure i saw the lenghting post before it was remove. Sure it has something to do with anti spambot. Its detect suspicious post and hide them. And the Id will be ban. until its resolved by moderator.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
@Eke40seven, amnestylaw1 and joel3 thanks for this information because I really got discouraged indeed. After taking my time to do a good write-up on Guyana in response to Eke40seven and then everything just vanished, I said no more nairaland for me I guess. I don't know much about this site. Who is the moderator that I can send an email to? I really would like to have that post restored before moving on to another comment. Eke40seven sorry to hear that you suffered a similar fate like mine. Thanks also for the advise about how to write lengthy comments.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Eke40seven(m): 8:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
dd25251: @Eke40seven, amnestylaw1 and joel3 thanks for this information because I really got discouraged indeed. After taking my time to do a good write-up on Guyana in response to Eke40seven and then everything just vanished, I said no more nairaland for me I guess. I don't know much about this site. Who is the moderator that I can send an email to? I really would like to have that post restored before moving on to another comment. Eke40seven sorry to hear that you suffered a similar fate like mine. Thanks also for the advise about how to write lengthy comments.
Hi Diane,
Am happy you are not giving up on this wonderful thread you opened because of the weird idiosyncrasies of the software, It will really be heart breaking for many whose hope and interest in Guyana you've raised and also for your ever growing fan base here refreshing this page everyday to read your comments. This idea is your brain child and won't survive without your presence except we get someone of your rear qualities to take over. If you can win over hard line doubters here, then this challenge shouldn't stop you.
You can send the super moderator, Justcul, a personal message, then when he receives it and reply, launch your complaints to him.
If you open the last page on 'interesting facts about Germany' on this travel section, you will read a dialogue which we had on how to go about this same issue first hand.
And you can save your write ups in a separate word document, it could be your insurance cover in case this kind of issue rears its ugly head again.
I hope a moderator is reading.
Best regards
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by naijaobi(m): 12:32am On Aug 21, 2014
Eke40seven:
Hi Diane,
Am happy you are not giving up on this wonderful thread you opened because of the weird idiosyncrasies of the software, It will really be heart breaking for many whose hope and interest in Guyana you've raised and also for your ever growing fan base here refreshing this page everyday to read your comments. This idea is your brain child and won't survive without your presence except we get someone of your rear qualities to take over. If you can win over hard line doubters here, then this challenge shouldn't stop you.
You can send the super moderator, Justcul, a personal message, then when he receives it and reply, launch your complaints to him.
If you open the last page on 'interesting facts about Germany' on this travel section, you will read a dialogue which we had on how to go about this same issue first hand.
And you can save your write ups in a separate word document, it could be your insurance cover in case this kind of issue rears its ugly head again.
I hope a moderator is reading.
Best regards
u mean justwise?
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 10:03am On Aug 21, 2014
@Eke40seven and my all the other wonderful contributors to this forum, thanks for your encouragement. I'm going to start again by trying to repond to Eke40seven post.

The post I made that disappear and probably earned me a ban. I don't know the reason but I'll trying to break it up into small parts as was suggested to avoid it being taken as spam.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by justwise(m): 10:06am On Aug 21, 2014
dd25251: @Eke40seven, thanks for sharing. To answer your question, the integration between blacks and East Indians has a history of distaste from East Indians. However, Guyana is now taking on a more multicultural look in terms of the ethnic integration. It's not uncommon now to see a black guy with an East Indian girlfriend/wife and vice versa. The children of mixed race are called "dougla". Also, traditionally, East Indian girls were seen to have flat bottoms and the men skinny. However, East Indian girls now look similar to black girls in their rear ends and the East Indian guys look muscular and athletic like black guys. A common saying is that East Indian girls have earned an increase in their bottom size as a result of having intercourse with black men. I haven't heard of the reason for the East Indian guys transformation. However, I have seen many of them in gyms when I went home for summer so this could be an attributing factor. I have no proof but it's possible that there's still a taboo in traditional East Indian villages for an East Indian girl to have an intimate relationship with a black guy and vice versa. Traditionally, I heard that it was ok for East Indians to have black friends but not as intimate partners. Traditionally, black women taught that East Indian men were not verile enough and referred to them as soft (referring to their private parts). Black men generally had no problem with having intimate relationships with an East Indian girl.

There is a perceived level of racism between East Indians and blacks and this becomes more evident during national elections when East Indians tend to vote for East Indians and blacks vote for blacks. Many blacks claim that they migrate to other countries because of Indian domination in key positions of employment and that they are barred from obtaining certain jobs. The East Indians claimed a similar story when Guyana was ruled by a black President many years ago. This story is similar to tribal rift and complaints in Nigeria and some other African countries.

You're correct to say that there more East Indians in Guyana, they being the majority of the population. Well, one can say that there are pure blacks, pure East Indians and pure Amerindians in Guyana by personal appearance but I don't really know for sure if someone that looks black is really authentic black if there is such a description.

Recently when i went home I saw a few Nigerians and were told that Guyana now has several. However, surprisingly, the few Guyanese that I met didn't speak well of the Nigerians. Also, some Nigerians said that they were no treated well by our immigration officers upon entering Guyana. I think that the global media did a perfect job of demoralising Nigerians, not saying that some Nigerians have not contributed to that image as well. However, the media never seems to focus on the great Nigerians who are honest, law-abiding citizens and making a worthwhile contribution to the global economy. Well, I used that opportunity to reach out to the few Nigerians that I met and offer them the true, Guyanese hospitality for which we're known for.

Guyana and Nigeria share a lot in common but the citizens of both countries may not be aware of it.
Hindus and Muslims generally stick to their traditional beliefs as you rightly said. This is similar to Nigerian tribal system
Hindus, Muslims and Amerindians have their unique foods just like the blacks but some foods are common across all races - like the staple rice
Hindus (only East Indians can be Hindus) and Muslims are generally richer and own more lands than the blacks
Like you and the Irik food, many black people including myself love Indian food (Curry, roti, dhal etc).
I have 2 ibo friends and they match the characteristics that you described.
We use Farine which you call Gharri.
We use Coo which you prepare differently and call semo
Our foofoo is made from green plantain

dd25251: @Eke40seven and my all the other wonderful contributors to this forum, thanks for your encouragement. I'm going to start again by trying to repond to Eke40seven post.
The post I made that disappear and probably earned me a ban. I don't know the reason but I'll trying to break it up into small parts as was suggested to avoid it being taken as spam.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by dd25251(f): 10:27am On Aug 21, 2014
I just noticed that my post has been restored. Thanks to whoever the moderator was and all forum contributors.
The heat in Guyana can be brutally hot these days. There is mainly sunshine or rain.

People tend to go to bed very early at nights in Guyana.
Men generally view women as the homemaker but rising poverty has many women earning their keep.
Generally more women are being educated and earn more than men in Guyana
A few men are now finding it impossible to keep up with rising poverty and are starting to look towards the women as their soul provider.

Black Guyanese like church and 31 December is a grand occasion where even the non-Christians try to attend church and leave after midnight to go to a party that will finish the next day.

Christmas Day is normally a quiet, immediate family day and boxing day is the day to start visiting friends and and other relatives.
However, this tradition is changing because people are starting to visit friends on that day and also to invite friends to their homes on Christmas Day.

You can get something to eat at any home you visit in Guyana during the Christmas season. Therefore, if you want to sample different goodies at Christmas just visit a different home everyday or a few in the same day.
Generally Guyanese love to dance and have a lot of energy when dancing.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by amnestylaw1(m): 1:01pm On Aug 21, 2014
dd25251: I just noticed that my post has been restored. Thanks to whoever the moderator was and all forum contributors.
The heat in Guyana can be brutally hot these days. There is mainly sunshine or rain.

People tend to go to bed very early at nights in Guyana.
Men generally view women as the homemaker but rising poverty has many women earning their keep.
Generally more women are being educated and earn more than men in Guyana
A few men are now finding it impossible to keep up with rising poverty and are starting to look towards the women as their soul provider.

Black Guyanese like church and 31 December is a grand occasion where even the non-Christians try to attend church and leave after midnight to go to a party that will finish the next day.

Christmas Day is normally a quiet, immediate family day and boxing day is the day to start visiting friends and and other relatives.
However, this tradition is changing because people are starting to visit friends on that day and also to invite friends to their homes on Christmas Day.

You can get something to eat at any home you visit in Guyana during the Christmas season. Therefore, if you want to sample different goodies at Christmas just visit a different home everyday or a few in the same day.
Generally Guyanese love to dance and have a lot of energy when dancing.

Ms Anthony, would you say that Black Guyanese are in the minority when it comes to general population?

EDIT: Your restored post seems to have answered my question.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Originalsly: 8:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
Telling it like it is...... Guyana is governed by the Indians since the early 1990's. They are blatantly racist and corrupt....Nigerian government is child's play if compared to them. Really??...yea really! ...poster can deny if untrue.......but it will be in her best interest to ignore if true.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Eke40seven(m): 3:39am On Aug 22, 2014
@naijaobi, Thanks for the corrections; @Justwise, you are one hell of a moderator. Thanks for grabbing our dear thread from the jaws of death and oblivion by responding to our yearnings.

@Diane, what more can I say, 'wonderful', is far from enough to describe your personality; even our much hated software didn’t hold you back. You obviously took out time to respond to each and every one of the question that was thrown at you, doing an unbiased ministerial job with relative ease and an open minded brilliance that will blow anyone away. Thanks, we’ve gotten this thread back on track and I will be more than willing to contribute my quota in our quest for a mutual exchange of knowledge and pleasure.

Your descriptions of how the intimate relationship with black men have magically transformed the backsides of the East Indians girls who have chosen to explore that once tabooed option really caught my fancy. I assume the trend in Guyana now will be for all the East Indian girls to seek that magical touch that is only exclusive to black guys (I will give a similar account of the experience here in my subsequent posts). On a more serious note, it was wonderful to learn of the various racial, religious, cultural and economic intricacies that exist among a relatively small but heterogeneous population.

On their perception of Nigerians, it’s really a big shame that the regrettable and condemnable path which some of our compatriots tread, trolling for riches abroad coupled with the adventures of our corrupt politicians have undermined an indefatigable crave for good moral and values, undying selflessness, rich cultural diversity, ingenious brilliance and unconditional love for people which best describes we Nigerians. It is shame that a country full of welcoming people with deep xenophilia is sometimes faced with a contrary treatment abroad. This situation have been fueled over time by foreign media who keenly feed on the malicious escapades of a very few to paint the character of a whole nation while turning a blind eye to the good ones. Am very excited that people with an open mind who give people the opportunity to express themselves still exist and I commend you greatly for that.

There are so many issues I will like to write on but putting them in a logical and sequential form will be a bit tasking for this little brain mine. However, I will like to give brief instances of what is obtainable in my country as regards inter-ethnic and inter religious marriages and relationships. It is a fact that inter-ethnic marriages and relationship are becoming more common in Nigeria, although the barrier still obviously exist. However, Nigerian families weirdly, would rather welcome a son marrying a foreign women than a fellow countrywoman from another ethnic group (this assessment may be controversial). From a more encompassing view, there are various factors that may influence the general acceptance or rejection of inter-ethnic marriages; these include the tribe in particular, place of residence, culture, education, the background of the person being married in particular, level of exposure of the family, etc. Note that my emphasis on family here only goes to show that the family plays a huge role in marriages and that cuts across all ethnic group.

People from large urban areas with good constitution of all the Nigerian ethnic groups like Lagos are more likely to marry from anther ethnic group than people in villages, towns or even cities that are ethnically homogeneous. However, I must emphasize that even in these large urban areas, a high proportion of these relationships (85%) are intra-ethnic and usually skewed towards the Igbos. They have a deep affinity and likeness for their kind and if given a choice, are likely to marry a foreigner (not just from any country) than from another tribe (although they’ve become more open these days). I think that the Yorubas are more open in that aspect and their men love Igbo girls to no end (especially the light skinned). Interreligious relationships among adults are less common than inter-ethnic marriages and are a bigger taboo with far greater grievous consequences. Surprisingly, the level of education has relatively little influence on inter ethnic marriages; however, it may influence inter-ethnic pre-marital relationships. Sometimes a less biased, family that is not high-handed may look past all these differences and focus on the background of the individual as a far better criteria in accepting the relationship.

Am having a serious bout with Mr. Sleep right now and I unbiasedly think he is winning. I hope I will wake up at dawn reading a coherent piece of what i wrote. However, before my hitherto insomaniac body fall surprising to Mr. Sleep’s TKO, let me quickly promise that in my next piece, I will like to write about our culture (dance, since you mentioned it) and social life and also hope you quickly respond to these questions; to what extent does one’s family in Guyana influence one’s relationships and what is your (Guyanese) relationship like with other neighbouring countries like Brazil, Venezuela and Suriname and; how have they influenced the Guyanese people, if they do at all?
P.S. All that was written above are based on my personal assessment and thus criticisms, modifications and arguments that buttress, dismiss or improve the write up are highly welcome.
Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by ronaldreagan26: 6:38am On Aug 22, 2014
Eke40seven; good post you have up there,please paragraph your writeup for easy assimilation, comprehension and readership.

1 Like

Re: Guyana - Telling It As It Is by Originalsly: 7:44am On Aug 22, 2014
@dd25251....Please accept this my humble apology for my strong reaction to your claim that I had sent you several e-mails when in fact I had sent one only. I just realised that there is some flaw in the delivery system and have notified admin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Paying For Uk Visa Application Using Verve (powered By Mypaga) / Australia Skilled Independent Visa / Sirika: We Are Not Paying $300m In Nigeria Air. Www.flynigeriaair.ng Registered.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.