Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

The Dying Art Of Conversation - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Dying Art Of Conversation (758 Views)

Is The Art Of Conversation Dead? / Hilarious Conversation Between Lady & Guy That Broke Her Girlfriend's Heart / My Conversation With An American Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dying Art Of Conversation by Oxone(m): 10:23am On Jul 16, 2014
Conversation involve much more than simply words – cues such as voice tone and body language also convey information such as enthusiasm, sadness, emotion and truthfulness and these cues are what makes for good conversations.

Face to face conversation is becoming more of a luxury than the norm and I often wonder if 10 years from now we would be conversing at all, yet it is believed that conversation is critical to our well-being and especially important for children development.

What makes a good conversationalist has changed little over the years: “Speak clearly; speak easily but not too much, especially when others want their turn; do not interrupt; be courteous; deal seriously with serious matters and gracefully with lighter ones; never criticize people behind their backs; stick to subjects of general interest; do not go on and on about yourself; and, above all, never lose your temper.”

Sadly all that is changing in the face of technology, people don’t need to speak to one another, they can text it, tweet it, post it, e-mail it or Facebook it. Who needs vocal cords when you have technology? Emotions are now being conveyed with an array of smileys albeit poorly. The few that makes the attempt can barely keep from looking at their phones every now and then giving the impression of being more interested in their phones than the company.

Dates these days are becoming more of a formality as those critical things that require face to face conversations are discussed in the bland/emotionless world of social media denying people the pleasure of truly enjoying the emotions that comes with it. People already know almost everything about a person before they actually meet and talk for the first time.

I miss conversations, I have always enjoyed talking to people and learning their stories. When you speak to a person, face-to-face, you gain added knowledge about the story and about the people themselves; you hear the emotions involved with the story that technology hasn’t been able to capture.

Gone are the days when you’ll have to find witty ways to keep conversation going all through a date. Maybe I’m Sounding this way because not too long ago (early/mid 2000s), we had the pleasure of enjoying good conversations without the extra encumbrance of social media and I'm nostalgic.

When was the last time you had a conversation? And I mean an actual face to face conversation, one where you learned more than just the surface value of a person, one that lasted more than a few minutes, one that would be remembered easily, one that doesn't involve checking your phone every now and then, one without the luxury of re-reading every last bit or one that does not involve our various tech gadget.

Have a conversation. Do that once a week, Learn about people, Talk to people, Practice the art of conversation. Conversation is a dying art and it makes me sad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dying Art Of Conversation by Alleinad(f): 10:32am On Jul 16, 2014
I agree with u Op. The evils of the social media, I think I will write an article about that. I try to talk to people daily though in the keke napep on my way anywhere bt I never receive numbers except the person does intrigue me. Albeit, I have made some great frnds through the social media that I wud neva have made cause our paths don't cross.
Re: The Dying Art Of Conversation by dyttt: 10:36am On Jul 16, 2014
nodding head
Re: The Dying Art Of Conversation by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 16, 2014
OP go back to 1935, we're leaving you so behind

I'd rather be lied to over the internet than one silly girl be forming American on my face
who even have time to talk when I have hundreds of posts to comment on nairaland
undecided

1 Like

Re: The Dying Art Of Conversation by DrObum(m): 1:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
Imagine say na for your face all these NL girls be forming shit shocked

Abegiii!
Thank God for social media!
Re: The Dying Art Of Conversation by OohMpa: 2:24pm On Jul 16, 2014
And that's how Ooh Mpa still stays in the game..

A nïgga got no time to follow you, pm you and wait for 168 bullshït hours just to watch his inbox read one new mail to get disappointed by an ad from Dr Ephraim sex manual.
He keeps on waiting and pming until his vas deferens swell up before he realizes he's to use soap to empty it. What a loser cry

Instead, you walk on the streets, you see a damsel carefully watching you with her binocular vision. She's fine, she's hot and she's hörny. You walk up to her, you meet her for drinks and after 24hrs, you're glad you emptied your cüm somewhere respectable.....

That's how we become players angry

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Need To Figure Out What She Really Wants From Me / See 11 Signs To Show That You Are In Love / Why Are Most Girls Not Comfortable With Guyz Having Room Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.