Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,195 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

We Are All Aborisha - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / We Are All Aborisha (14620 Views)

Why I Am An Aborisha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
There is no reason draggling forms of spirituality or religion a person or group of people choose to embrace, all boils down to Orisha-bibo. We are all; firstly Aborisha, and secondly what we choose to believe or disbelieve.

The above statement came from a local priest who has been my spiritual tutor. He made the statement in an attempt to calm me down from bashing an evangelist who came to us preaching some months ago. From then till now, I frequently recite a short part of the quote, 'we are all firstly Aborisha', trying to find meaning to this very expression and asking questions on how geniune the expression is. Could it be a wishful thinking or basic fact? What/who is an Orisha? who is an Aborisha? And how can the thousands of religion and spirituality round up to Orisha-bibo. Can there be justification to the statement that every thing/person that exist are Aborisha? Can the atheists also be regarded as Aborisha?

Aborisha is defined as the person that worship an Orisha or simply the person that is engage in Orisha practise. Well actually, aborisha which is a Yoruba word when splitted would give us A (being) + bo (nourish) + Orisha (Deity) meaning an act of being nourishing deity or gods.

So much we know, Christians and Muslims would disregard any point that explain they worship, serve, venerate, exalt, honor or tie to orisha practise. There is no doubt their holy books and doctrines are against engagement with other gods or deities as an adherent of those religion except to Jehovah/Jesus or Allah/mohammad. So also the atheists who proclaim disbelieve in the existence of God, deities or supernatural beings; they will disregard being an Aborisha too. And here the problem arises. How can we align the claim 'we are all Aborisha' when other religion, disblief system oppose it when metered with their stands and convictions?

Translation of Yoruba words to English contain lot of difficulties. This also brought distortion, errors and misconceptions. Orisha can best be translated to God (god) but 'God' as a word does not describe to the best what Orisha is.

The term Orisha can be broken up into two parts; Ori, which means "head" or "consciousness," and sha, which means "selected." Therefore, an Orisha is a selected consciousness within the great consciousness which makes infinite possibilities known as ELEDUMARE. In Yoruba spirituality, everything in the universe is alive and conscious. This means there are many ORI including that of ours and much recognition is given to some SHA (selected ones), therefore engagement with Orisha practise can stand. As it is known, the ancient tends to view natural forces, elements and the consciousness as a person or Gods which give rises to Personification of water, human, trees, and every other entities around us as God or person.

How then can an atheist claim he disbelieve in the existence of God (Orisha which is consciousness view as God)? Can the theist conclude they do not recognise some consciousness?

We humans have Ori which can be venerated while it is been recognised by self (egoism) or others (as ancestors or mentors) therefore we are Orisha or Gods. Are we not worshipping, venerating, giving praises, or serving our parents, heroes, self, leaders, mentors and role-players?

Money (Idol) represent wealth (Orisha). The bible confirmed people worship it. It is the God of ages, we recognise it through our work, strive and will of expansing it. It is sacred cuz many had and can kill for it so we preserve it as holy idol. Are we not venerating money?

Nationalism, they said is Idolatory. The earth has it Ori and we serve our territory, town and country which are being recognised as a special/sacred entity. Need I stress on Flags and coat of arms we honour, the anthems we sing raining praises or the pledges to serve and loyal to?

As there are infinite ORI, we SHA many either been aware or not which bring us into Orisha system. Getting involve in it is Orisha practice. So we can say, christians, muslims and whichever religion we belong, we worship Orisha and engage in Orisha practice.

Of what relevance is 'bo', 'nourish' in Orisha system? What is nourishment? Can we even nourish non-living entity? Here I will employ a link to an article that explain more on what nourishment is, application of the word and different levels things can be nourished.

Nourishment (bo) is defined as act of giving and receiving (there are other applications included too) which I will take as INTERACTION WITH SELECTED (SHA) CONSCIOUSNESS (ORI).

Thus, we are all aborisha would mean we are all interacting with some selected consciousness aroung us. Been aware of this engagement in Orisha practise or involvement in worship of Orisha or not aware is not issue, what matters is we (a) nourish (bo) selected consciousness (orisha).

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Are All Aborisha by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 16, 2014
eyah , sorry you are all aborishas
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
Titan Imole si bo ninu aborisha (Shedding more light on 'bo' in aborisha

Would need to explain more better why I concluded 'Bo' is nourishment and at the same time mean Interaction. I am open to criticism if at any point you disgree with me.

Bọ can be translated to worship, nourish, serve, come, connect and communicate.

Bọ as worship. In a statement like 'won bọ (sin) Ogun which mean they are worshipping Ogun the god of Iron. What is more essential I will like to beem light to is the character involve in the sentence. 1, someone or thing is being worshipped. 2, another is worshipping.

Bọ as nourish. Mostly used in a statement like 'Oun bo aja, ko le bo enu e' meaning He is nourishing (feeding) dog but cant nourish his mouth.

More on Nourishmet

Nourishment is central to our wellbeing on all levels, but we most commonly think of it in terms of food. For instance, we think of nourishing meals and the good feelings they evoke. But nourishment goes much deeper as well. Every living thing in the universe seeks nourishment in various forms and on various levels.

Nourishment as Giving and Receiving

All of us are constantly exchanging energy with our environments – taking things in that nourish us, and giving things out that nourish others. In countless different ways, we are all linked in a vast and deeply interconnected web of giving and receiving. For instance, during every in-breath we receive oxygen from the plant kingdom, and during every out-breath we give to this kingdom carbon dioxide in return. In the process both plants and humans are mutually nourished by one another. Seen in this light, nourishment is intimately connected to the principles of giving and receiving.

At each level of our multi-dimensional makeup, the need for nourishment plays itself out in a dynamic process of giving and receiving. For instance, we seek nourishment through touch, through companionship and relationships, through our work and service, as well as emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually. Each level that we exist and operate on has its own need for nourishment – its own need to give and receive.

Here again, something gives and another receive noirishment.

Bọ as Come. In a statement like 'Seun n bo' which mean Seun is coming. It is obvious in this statement that a place is at the receiving end while one would be give out that thing or person coming.

Bọ as Connect. This can be found in statement like 'Ti bo' meaning connect it or put it in. Two things must be invovled.

And lastly, Bọ as communication appears in a statement like ' Won fi Oro agba bo mi yo'. He has communicated wisdom to me'. Here like others, two things are involved.

Yoruba languge is complex. A word can be diversified meaning and applications in different expression. For which ever meaning Bọ can hold, it is fasten to 'for whatever purpose, two ends; one gives and the other receive causing an effect on the both ends'. This brought us to INTERACTION which is defined as 'act in such a way as to have an effect on each other'.

Aborisha will then simply mean interaction as a consciousness with other selected consciousness.

A friend or mother in Yoruba is an Orisha. An Orisha is simply god in english. Would an atheist disbelieve in the existence of God/gods (when gods tend to mean friend, country or parent)?

We bọ (worship, feed, connect and communicate) the gods. Would the theist deny they worship, interact, serve, exalt and honour other gods as against their faith?

Olubobotiro is the Orisha every person make sacrifice to. According to Ifa, Olubobotiribo receive biggest share of Ebo (sacrifice). But what/who is Olubobotiribo? It is simply our mouth. Would the atheist and theist argue or deny they dont make sacrifice to Olubobotiribo (mouth)?

To the atheist and theists, do you all agree we are all Aborisha? Lets discuss

5 Likes

Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 1:44pm On Jul 16, 2014
You've made a very valid point, especially as pertains to the nourishment of selected consciousness(es) in the universe. However, you argument falls within the same sphere as religion: that humans are the centre - most important - of universal entities, as evident in your veneration of 'ori'. I am an atheist, and I am a Yoruba boy. I cannot relate with the middle-eastern religions, but I'm always at home with the doctrines of Yoruba spirituality. We are creatures of the earth; the universe is far bigger.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ghost01: You've made a very valid point, especially as pertains to the nourishment of selected consciousness(es) in the universe. However, you argument falls within the same sphere as religion: that humans are the centre - most important - of universal entities, as evident in your veneration of 'ori'. I am an atheist, and I am a Yoruba boy. I cannot relate with the middle-eastern religions, but I'm always at home with the doctrines of Yoruba spirituality. We are creatures of the earth; the universe is far bigger.

I think you got me wrong @ the bold.

Veneration of Ori sprangs from this popular saying, 'Ori eni ni aba bo, aba fi orisha sile'.

Veneration of ones Ori is very much fit into spirituality rather than religion (I think you know the the difference between religion and spirituality). Here on this link https://www.nairaland.com/1459258/atheism-spirituality-two-coexist, it is buttressed that veneration of one Ori simply is the knowning much about our consciousness before giving extension to other consciousness. That popular saying mean giving much emphasis to ones consciousness other than that of others.

As an atheist, you honour logic and reason (creation of your own consciousness) but have you pull this toward knowing your 'self or person'? Are you venerating your Ori or that of other entities?

And so much I learnt, other entities honour, venerate and worship some other selected Ori. So Aborisha is not centered on humans like religion as you stated.

My two cents

3 Likes

Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 2:54pm On Jul 16, 2014
@FOLYKAZE There is one of those Oju Odu's that speaks about ori being the most superior of the orishas, at least in the context in which the story - a particular one - was told. Pertaining to spirituality and religion, the lines are blurred more often than not. It's not always black and white. Before the advent of popular monotheism, the belief systems were, I believe, considered as 'spiritualities' (I dunno if you get my meaning).
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 3:04pm On Jul 16, 2014
You cannot talk consciousness and universality in the context of Yoruba (traditional) spirituality and hope to include Ganymede or TrES-4 in the plot. That will be the same as a modern xtian trying to equate the talking snake in the biblical story of creation with metaphors. When the plot of the basics of Yoruba spirituality was being woven, through history, experiences, migrations, culture-meets, etc, the knowlege of heavenly bodies beyond what is narrated in the many literatures was almost non-existent.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 3:10pm On Jul 16, 2014
*The 512-max words in a post on this phone isn't helping.* Anyway, I get (at least part of) the point in the original post. Even I have always maintained that irrespective of personal beliefs, we all serve something: a deity, a purpose, an innate urge, etcetera etcetera. The rest are just art: literatures, demonstrations, performances, etc. But then, imagine the world without those? It will be colourless. Salaam.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ghost01: @FOLYKAZE There is one of those Oju Odu's that speaks about ori being the most superior of the orishas, at least in the context in which the story - a particular one - was told. Pertaining to spirituality and religion, the lines are blurred more often than not. It's not always black and white. Before the advent of popular monotheism, the belief systems were, I believe, considered as 'spiritualities' (I dunno if you get my meaning).

@ the bold, Fela song titled VIP fit in most. I mean to say everybody get him superiority everywhere; Omolanke get power over him lakne, driver get power over him bus. . . .like PASTORAIO would put it, Sango is most superior in Koso just as Ogun is most superior in Ire.

As much as we practise Orisha, our ORI is most essential to use but that does not mean other Orisha have no role to play
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:21pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ghost01: You cannot talk consciousness and universality in the context of Yoruba (traditional) spirituality and hope to include Ganymede or TrES-4 in the plot. That will be the same as a modern xtian trying to equate the talking snake in the biblical story of creation with metaphors. When the plot of the basics of Yoruba spirituality was being woven, through history, experiences, migrations, culture-meets, etc, the knowlege of heavenly bodies beyond what is narrated in the many literatures was almost non-existent.

Yoruba spirituality is of the ancient time. Event and element are illustrated through mythology, allegory and metaphor.

If the christians can explain what the talking snake is, do I need more stress anymore?

As per the bold, I will just advice. . . .dont hate what you know not. Even if I cant authoritatively say you are wrong, from my little knowledge about Orisha system. . You are wrong
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 7:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Yoruba spirituality is of the ancient time. Event and element are illustrated through mythology, allegory and metaphor.

If the christians can explain what the talking snake is, do I need more stress anymore?

As per the bold, I will just advice. . . .dont hate what you know not. Even if I cant authoritatively say you are wrong, from my little knowledge about Orisha system. . You are wrong

Hate? What's to hate in ancient beliefs and practices? They tell our story.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 7:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
And isn't it a little too extreme to dismiss what you clearly don't get as 'wrong'? Say what you will, the ancient ancients never thought of stars as centres of solar systems, if available literature is anything to go by. Ire o!
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ghost01:

Hate? What's to hate in ancient beliefs and practices? They tell our story.

They are non-existence when it is woven through other cultural knowledge. That is what you said
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
Ghost01: And isn't it a little too extreme to dismiss what you clearly don't get as 'wrong'? Say what you will, the ancient ancients never thought of stars as centres of solar systems, if available literature is anything to go by. Ire o!

The egyptians know much about the cosmos than you think.

The Yoruba too contributed much to the cosmoslogy. I created a thread explaining something of this nature. Ifa specifically said we should be more concern about our consciosness. We know very little about it but some men choose to know the gagantic universe. It is just difficult and have no interest. In the scientific world, we know less about the brain, so why do we bother about solar system when we dont know ourselves? But you this thread is not about that. . . .we are here to discuss if we are aborisha or not.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 9:01am On Jul 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

They are non-existence when it is woven through other cultural knowledge. That is what you said

This is obviously a case of mistaken interpretation. Read the comment you referred to in the quoted again. I wrote "...beyond what is narrated in the many literatures is ALMOST non-existent," and I tried to relate that to the figurative meaning that xtians now attach to the Luciferic serpent. Anyway, that's that!
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 9:10am On Jul 17, 2014
One of my favourite quote from Kemetic literature is: "know thyself, know nature." This is similar to Ifa's explanation of human consciousness. Pertaining to the human brain, we'd both be deluding ourselves if we choose to submit that modern science has contributed less to the study of the human brain, compared to, maybe, ifa. Ifa focuses more on the mind, science is concerned with every-every. And whats more: science is continually a work in progress.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Ghost01(m): 9:33am On Jul 17, 2014
And yes, we are all Aborishas. We all nourish one "consciousness" or the other, seeing as we are social beings. Ina kwana!
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:47am On Jul 17, 2014
Ghost01: And yes, we are all Aborishas. We all nourish one "consciousness" or the other, seeing as we are social beings. Ina kwana!

Ina Gejia (sorry I dont know if the spelling is correct o).

Good and thanks for your contribution.

Would like to see views of other like italo, BabaGnoni, mcfynest, Ubenedictus, Weah96, PAGAN9JA, macof, Ghostofsparta, TheBigUrban2, Apatheist, Kay17, Reyginus, rationalmind, mazaje, plaetton, qstar and PASTORAIO.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by plaetton: 12:25pm On Jul 17, 2014
@op
I could not disagree with you all, no matter in what language it is said.

Everything you have written above is the same as saying that we are all one and the same substance. All religions and philosophies are basically for the purpose of self-identity.
We are god, and god is us.
Tesla famously said that the universe can only be understood in terms Energy, vibrations and frequency. That is the total sum of what we are.

And also, there is this new radical theory that says there is ONLY ONE Electron in the universe , and that this one electron just happens to be everywhere at the same time. From a quantum physics angle, that makes some sense.
It is something worth pondering.

3 Likes

Re: We Are All Aborisha by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
plaetton: @op
I could not disagree with you all, no matter in what language it is said.

Everything you have written above is the same as saying that we are all one and the same substance. All religions and philosophies are basically for the purpose of self-identity.
We are god, and god is us.
Tesla famously said that the universe can only be understood in terms Energy, vibrations and frequency. That is the total sum of what we are.

And also, there is this new radical theory that says there is ONLY ONE Electron in the universe , and that this one electron just happens to be everywhere at the same time. From a quantum physics angle, that makes some sense.
It is something worth pondering.
Quantum mechanics sounds like religion! angry
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 17, 2014
OP let me see if I understand your point.

Orisha: Consciousness?
Bo : Interaction/communication?

Aborisha: Communication with (our) consciousness?

It seems this philosophy has roots in--or influences -- Solipsism
Re: We Are All Aborisha by plaetton: 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2014
Apatheist:

He he he.
Ya, we can say that perhaps god is that one and only electron, and negative charge of the electron can be likened to the holy spirit.
But there is no room for a Jesus in this quantum theory of god.
grin

1 Like

Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ghost01: One of my favourite quote from Kemetic literature is: "know thyself, know nature." This is similar with Ifa's explanation of human consciousness. Pertaining to the human brain, we'd both be deluding ourselves if we choose to submit that modern science has contributed less to the study of the human brain, compared to, maybe, ifa. Ifa focuses more on the mind, science is concerned with every-every. And whats more: science is continually a work in progress.

Seriously the bold is speaking much about ORI (self) and Orisa (nature, the mother earth).

Adding, modern science is not bringing something new on the table. Theories, findings and invention of today are built on universal ancient spirituality. What we have today is rebranding. . . . .I believe you cant deny that.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
Apatheist: OP let me see if I understand your point.

Orisha: Consciousness?
Bo : Interaction/communication?

Aborisha: Communication with (our) consciousness?

It seems this philosophy has roots in--or influences -- Solipsism

I think Orisha system is Naturalistic Pantheism in nature. But as mind/soul/Ori comes in, Panpsychism fit in most. It is believe that everything is alive and have Ori/mind of there own.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2014
Apatheist:

Nope, it sound more like spiritual science
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

I think Orisha system is Naturalistic Pantheism in nature. But as mind/soul/Ori comes in, Panpsychism fit in most. It is believe that everything is alive and have Ori/mind of there own.
The bolded is Anthropomorphism and it is present in religion
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
plaetton:

He he he.
Ya, we can say that perhaps god is that one and only electron, and negative charge of the electron can be likened to the holy spirit.
But there is no room for a Jesus in this quantum theory of god.
grin

Have you read Astrology in the Bible? I think from the subject, Jesus of astrology and msytism fit into quantum theory of God. But I can say the historical Jesus is no where to be found
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:15pm On Jul 17, 2014
Apatheist:
The bolded is Anthropomorphism and it is present in religion

You got some facts there.

Personification of natural element does not exist only in religion. It is part of Yoruba people daily life. This can be found in there lingua most especially. . . .
Re: We Are All Aborisha by plaetton: 3:19pm On Jul 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Have you read Astrology in the Bible? I think from the subject, Jesus of astrology and msytism fit into quantum theory of God. But I can say the historical Jesus is no where to be found
Yes, in astrology, Jesus represents the sun, the sun of God and the light of the world that dies and resurrects every day to give us life and save us from the cold darkness.
Therefore, the bible is the Helios Biblica, the book of the Sun.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

You got some facts there.

Personification of natural element does not exist only in religion. It is part of Yoruba people daily life. This can be found in there lingua most especially. . . .
It is present in a lot of languages.
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:50pm On Jul 17, 2014
plaetton:
Yes, in astrology, Jesus represents the sun, the sun of God and the light of the world that dies and resurrects every day to give us life and save us from the cold darkness.
Therefore, the bible is the Helios Biblica, the book of the Sun.

the winter solstice which begins on December 21. It is the day of the year when the night is longest and the daytime shortest. The ancient Egyptians noticed that on the autumn equinox, the sun does not set farther south and sets in the same place on the horizon for three days. This is an astrological reference to when the sun (Son) goes down for three days (dies) and then begins to rise again (resurrection). Using the crude instruments available, ancient astronomers were able to detect by December 25th of each year that the daytime had become noticeably longer. This date was chosen, and remains, the traditional date for followers of many different religions to celebrate the "rebirth" of the sun. Following the equinox, each succeeding day has slightly more sunlight than the previous day. It was seen as a promise that warmth would return once more to the Earth.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen13.html
Re: We Are All Aborisha by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2014
Apatheist:
It is present in a lot of languages.

I speak of what I know. Abi you go teach mne your own language?

"we are all Aborisha (worshippers of Gods)", what is your take on this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It Wise To Split Tithe Between Different Churches? / Share Your Testimonies. See mine. Photo / Pix: Pope Francis In Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.