Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,717 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings (1700 Views)

Nigerian Striker Odion Ighalo's Rise To Stardom / Ratings: Top 20 Nigerian Players On FIFA 16 / Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Liamm(m): 11:41am On Jul 17, 2014
my first comment on nairaland....
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 11:44am On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Nothing prevents you from being patrotic but don't allow it becloud your analytic mind.

Nigeria wouldn't have got past Bosnia in the 1st place if Dzeko's goal which was wrongly disallowed for offside stood, but that's a talk for another day, so don't talk about the Red Card issue which happened later.

There was an improvement in the ranking from 44th to 34th but that improvement doesn't reflect in the team.

I see in our team players without gusto, so lethargic and lacking hunger. Mikel comes to mind and I wonder why he still command regular shirt in the team.

It's a pity, my standard for appraising our team is high, thanks in large part for having seen more than 2 decades of football, how well they played back then, their drive, hunger, will to succeed and so on.

I'm sorry, I can't give appreciation to either Keshi or the NFF if they keep inviting Mikel, Uchebo and co to our team.

I apologise if my comment earlier offended you. smiley but please don't call me a plastic fan.
Plastic talk again?

All these are part of football, If their performance against Bosnia is poor, what about the Performance against Arg and France?
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 11:44am On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: You are a plastic fan for not recognising this huge improvement

The 9th position in 2009 wasn't achieved over night!

Germany is no1 today, a position they never smell in the last decade

If your ranking doesn't reflect in your play what use is it Mr Concrete Fan?
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 11:46am On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

If your ranking doesn't reflect in your play what use is it Mr Concrete Fan?
The ranking is result based and its useful in seeding teams
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 11:46am On Jul 17, 2014
Liamm: my first comment on nairaland....

Welcome to Nl
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 17, 2014
`In all honesty, this is a fair ranking.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 11:48am On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: Plastic talk again?

All this are part of football, If their performance against Bosnia is poor, what about the Performance against Arg and France?

How do you judge performances friend? What yardstick? Possession after 90mins? Attempts on goal? What exactly?
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 11:51am On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

How do you judge performances friend? What yardstick? Possession after 90mins? Attempts on goal? What exactly?
Defensive work rate
Goal attempt
Ball possession

At least, defensively, we are better than Brazil
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by shopisky(m): 11:52am On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Nothing prevents you from being patrotic but don't allow it becloud your analytic mind.

Nigeria wouldn't have got past Bosnia in the 1st place if Dzeko's goal which was wrongly disallowed for offside stood, but that's a talk for another day, so don't talk about the Red Card issue which happened later.

There was an improvement in the ranking from 44th to 34th but that improvement doesn't reflect in the team.

I see in our team players without gusto, so lethargic and lacking hunger. Mikel comes to mind and I wonder why he still command regular shirt in the team.

It's a pity, my standard for appraising our team is high, thanks in large part for having seen more than 2 decades of football, how well they played back then, their drive, hunger, will to succeed and so on.

I'm sorry, I can't give appreciation to either Keshi or the NFF if they keep inviting Mikel, Uchebo and co to our team.

I apologise if my comment earlier offended you. smiley but please don't call me a plastic fan.
I totally understand you bro but to me these are the best players we have at least until others come up. Lets just hope we produce better players in future who can compete the the best in the world.
With time, we will get better.
Am also sorry if that name offended you.
As for that bosnia game, as i said, thats football and we can't change it. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't have qualified.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Liamm(m): 11:52am On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: Welcome to Nl
thanks bro
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 11:53am On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: The ranking is result based

And your point is?

At this stage if you can't see beyond a mere Fifa Ranking I wonder how we can discuss.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 11:55am On Jul 17, 2014
shopisky:
I totally understand you bro but to me these are the best players we have at least until others come up. Lets just hope we produce better players in future who can compete the the best in the world.
With time, we will get better.
Am also sorry if that name offended you. Now I know you are not one.

Now I am happy that you are happy smiley
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 11:56am On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

And your point is?

At this stage if you can't see beyond a mere Fifa Ranking I wonder how we can discuss.
cos you fail to acknowlege the improvement

You should appreciate any form of improvement no matter how small.

We are not the worst in Brazil and you ll agree with me that this has been the best performance since France 98
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 17, 2014
We won Africa cup of nations they no give us
We were the best africa perfomance in the world cup still they no give us. The team (a finalyst) current no1 Germany could score till 113 min s we did in 4 mins and did it twice in a regular match
The best they could do is to ban us

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: Defensive work rate
Goal attempt
Ball possession

At least, defensively, we are better than Brazil

And after the above and no result it's a good performance? Right? SMH

Now you compare our team with a leaky Brazil, the down throdden...why can't you associate out team with the better teams of the tornament? The Germany's, the Argentines, the Dutch, the Colombias, The Belgiums etc?

And you called me a plastic fan? Issoryt.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2014
runzlord: We won Africa cup of nations they no give us
We were the best africa perfomance in the world cup still they no give us. The team (a finalyst) current no1 Germany could score till 113 min s we did in 4 mins and did it twice in a regular match
The best they could do is to ban us
NFF are back.....The ban will be remove soon
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 12:06pm On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

And after the above and no result it's a good performance? Right? SMH

Now you compare our team with a leaky Brazil, the down throdden...why can't you associate out team with the better teams of the tornament? The Germany's, the Argentines, the Dutch, the Colombias, The Belgiums etc?

And you called me a plastic fan? Issoryt.
I don't want to use another word on my mind....but it ll be better you check the history of Brazil in the World cup and then we can see if we can learn from them or not.

The last time I checked, they are still above us on the table
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: NFF are back.....The ban will be remove soon
Why cant we be first in africa
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 12:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: cos you fail to acknowlege the improvement

You should appreciate any form of improvement no matter how small.

We are not the worst in Brazil and you ll agree with me that this has been the best performance since France 98

Am afraid, I can't agree with you.

Take for instance, when a company has set out objectives to achieve, they go about it in the best way they know how.

After deadline, they evaluate. In evaluation, they seek to see to which extent the set objectives were attained.

If they succeeded in achieving the objectives, they have done well, if they failed to, they haven't done well.

As far as I know, Keshi and co set Semi-final finish as their objective and they never achieved that, not even a quarter final.

Did they do well mr Femi4?? Unless you set the objective for them to be "getting out of their group" and they achieved it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by busterr(m): 12:15pm On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Mikel should be the 1st name in your list.

just because mikel didn't play well in the world cup doesn't mean he's bad.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 12:17pm On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Am afraid, I can't agree with you.

Take for instance, when a company has set out objectives to achieve, they go about it in the best way they know how.

After deadline, they evaluate. In evaluation, they seek to see to which extent the set objectives were attained.

If they succeeded in achieving the objectives, they have done well, if they failed to, they haven't done well.

As far as I know, Keshi and co set Semi-final finish as their objective and they never achieved that, not even a quarter final.

Did they do well mr Femi4?? Unless you set the objective for them to be "getting out of their group" and they achieved it.
Did we acheive our objective : No

Did we Improve : YES

Improvement is simple term means "Though, I m not where I want to be, but I m not where I used to be"

Rate this Performance wrt (with respect to) 2010, 2002 tourney
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 12:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: I don't want to use another word on my mind....but it ll be better you check the history of Brazil in the World cup and then we can see if we can learn from them or not.

The last time I checked, they are still above us on the table

I can't use words on you though I'm tempted to.

I called Brazil "leaky" and "the down throdden" because my instance was on just concluded world-cup. I also listed other teams that had a great world cup, still on just concluded world cup tornament.

Please read and understand
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2014
femi4: Did we achive our objective : No

Did we Improve : YES

Improvement is simple term means "Though, I m not where I want to be, but I m not where I used to be"

Rate this Performance wrt (with respect to) 2010, 2002 tourney

We are done!

It now seem I am writing greek.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
my only problem is with Ivory Coast . This guys were bad in the world cup. How can they still be ranked so high?
No problem with Algeria. They were fantastic.
As for Nigeria, considering our previous position, 34th place is a big plus. I appreciate it.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 12:21pm On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

We are done!

It now seem I am writing greek.
Enjoy your day!
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 12:22pm On Jul 17, 2014
busterr:

just because mikel didn't play well in the world cup doesn't mean he's bad.

Others aren't bad as well then.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by femi4: 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
runzlord:
Why cant we be first in africa
With time, we ll get there.

Keep qualifying for FIFA and CAF competitions with good performance

Winning at least 75% of Grade A friendly matches
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by busterr(m): 12:32pm On Jul 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

Others aren't bad as well then.

how many of the 'others' played atleast last year's nations cup? Or even in their clubs, to prove they're really good?

Mikel was among the contender for africa's best player tho.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by jnrbayano(m): 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2014
busterr:

how many of the 'others' played atleast last year's nations cup? Or even in their clubs, to prove they're really good?

Mikel was among the contender for africa's best player tho.

Keshi's consistent selection of Mikel marred our world cup outing.

Mikel's presence in that team distracts the coaching crew away from digging deep to get an alternative/another option/understudy......

Mikel knows he is worshipped by those coaches and feels indispensable and can play as he likes despite being a good player. His position is never at risk.

Until we realize to keep sentiments away, our football will remain same notwithstanding ranking up or ranking down.

If you wanna get something out of Mikel, threaten his position in the team period!
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 17, 2014
Why are the likes of Scotland and panama ranked above nigeria ? When last did these countries play international football ?
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by RayMcBlue(m): 2:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
This Nigerians are funny. Y'all should be thankful that Nigeria was one of the biggest gainers (Moved 10 places), instead, some of you are here bad mouthing both Fifa and your national team alike.

How I wish it were Bafana Bafana that gained all those precious points. It might have been enough to restore our relevance in African football once again.
Re: Nigeria Rise To 34th On Fifa Rankings by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2014
busterr: What of spain?? They should drop to 20 places.

Wetin cote d voire dey play sef!!!! We should come first in Africa then Algeria second or vice versa then then ghana and others should distribute from 10th position to 30 in africa amongst themselves
leave FIFA and its corrupt cronies.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 Mountain Bikes, Male And Female For Sale- X20kX Now 25k / Messi, Ronaldinho And Xavi Among The Greatest Players Ever... But Who Is No 1 / How To Get Daily Football Updates On Whatsapp Without Subcription

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.