Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie (24016 Views)

Simon Lalong Accuses Jonah Jang Of Last Minute Looting / Characters In Chimamanda's Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah / Chimamanda Adichie: The Miraculous Deliverance Of Oga Jona (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Sagamite(m): 6:43pm On Jul 19, 2014
Emperortj93: Article written by award winning writer, Chimamanda Adichie. Please read and share your thoughts..
As soon as he opened his eyes, he felt it. A strange peace, a calm clarity. He stretched. Even his limbs were stronger and surer. He looked at his phone. Thirty-seven new text messages – and all while he was asleep. With one click, he deleted them. The empty screen buoyed him. Then he got up to bathe, determined to fold the day into the exact shape that he wanted.
Those Levick people had to go. No more foreign PR firms. They should have made that article in the American newspaper sound like him, they should have known better. They had to go. And he would not pay their balance; they had not fulfilled the purpose of the contract after all. Continue...
He pressed the intercom. Man Friday came in, face set in a placidly praise-singing smile.
“Good morning, Your Excellency!”
“Good morning,” Oga Jona said. “I had a revelation from God.”
Man Friday stared at him with bulging eyes.
“I said I had a revelation from God,” he repeated. “Find me new Public Relations people. Here in Nigeria. Is this country not full of mass communication departments and graduates?”
“Yes, Your Excellency.” Man Friday’s eyes narrowed; he was already thinking of whom he would bring, of how he would benefit.
“I want a shortlist on my table on Wednesday,” Oga Jona said. “I don’t want any of the usual suspects. I want fresh blood. Like that student who asked that frank question during the economic summit.”
“Your Excellency… the procurement rules…we need somebody who is licensed by the agency licensed by the agency that licenses PR consultants…”
Oga Jona snorted. Man Friday used civil service restrictions as a weapon to fight off competition. Anybody who might push him out of his privileged position was suddenly not licensed, not approved, not registered. “I don’t want you to bring your own candidates, do you hear me? I said I want fresh blood, I’m not joking.”
“Yes, Your Excellency,” Man Friday said, voice now high-pitched with alarmed confusion.
“Put that DVD for me before you go,” Oga Jona said.
He watched the recording on the widescreen television, unhappy with his appearance in the footage. His trousers seemed too big and why had nobody adjusted his hat? Next to The Girl from Pakistan, he looked timid, scrunched into his seat. She was inspiring, that young girl, and he wished her well. But he saw now how bad this made him appear: he had ignored all the Nigerians asking him to go to Chibok, and now The Girl From Pakistan was telling the world that he promised her he would go. He promised me, she said. As if the abducted Nigerian girls did not truly matter until this girl said they did. As if what mattered to him was a photo-op with this girl made famous by surviving a gunshot wound. It made him look small. It made him look unpresidential. It made him look like a leader without a rudder. Why had they advised him to do this? He pressed a button on his desk and waited.http://lindaikeji..com/2014/07/the-miraculous-deliverance-of-oga-jona.html

Very good literary comedy.

Now this is what this girl should stick to. She needs to shut up and stop commenting on intellectual and logical solutions/approach to issues.

2 Likes

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by LaurelP(m): 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2014
Firstbeauty: www.nairaland.com/attachments/1559639_chioma_jpeg9889106c6a82e78688a65f7928573018

Vote Link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=659574127457717&set=o.577725372313390&type=1&relevant_count=1

How to vote: visit the link above and like my picture, and that's all.

Please my fellow Nairalanders, am a contestant in this ongoing Most beautiful student In Nigeria (MBSN) 2014.

MOST BEAUTIFUL STUDENT IN NIGERIA (MBSN) 2014 CONTESTANT CAMPAIGN

Am on my kneels, please just go to the link above and like my profile picture.
Am proud to be an African.
Am proud to be a Nigerian
Am proud to be here in this forum.

May God bless you.

We no dey vote
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by SangoCrusader: 6:46pm On Jul 19, 2014
okparaugo: My mind is telling me that I shouldn't read this write up.

That it constitutes a funny fabrication of lies against my beloved President and Commander in Chief...

Wendell Simlin (Reno Omokri), you have come again. Trolling neva tire u?

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 6:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
moshino:

Yes, thats the problem with Nigeria. You lazy monkies are too lazy, inept and xtupid to do anything for your country.
as old as you are, you don't even regard yourself as a human, your imbecilic character should have improved by now. ret*ard calling someone a monkey *** spits on his face and walk away.

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by danchuzzy(m): 6:48pm On Jul 19, 2014
tellwisdom: What is it with this chimayamaya writer....What has she got to say again? sad

why don't you read it and stop being an e-dhiut!!!

3 Likes

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by frankzone: 6:49pm On Jul 19, 2014
"The people in red" who are they?
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by OtunbaJega: 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2014
God go punish all the mods on politics section...na me first open this thread... dem deny me FP.... una want make God deny una good things?

seun
mynd44
obinoscopy
ngakwe

4 Likes

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by CharlieMaria(m): 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2014
Please can I have the abridged version of the article, it's too long hence I have given up hope of reading it.
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 19, 2014
Write up is nice. It conveys a good point which would be helpful to the current challenges if applied. Kudos to the writer.....
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by kobonaire(m): 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2014
Chubhie: Nigerians have been generating their own electricity and providing their own pipe bore water individually without Government. Now, imagine what we could all achieve collectively? We have the abundant resources and manpower to match. With these, you will agree with me that we should be robbing it off with the likes of Russian and USA and not struggling with govt promising to construct roads and build fourth mainland and second niger bridges! Our corrupt leaders only make it appear far fetched but in reality it is within reach.
I agree with you. There is so much waste in individually generating our power/water supply. We need to be able to achieve this though sadly with some form of government support given the infrastructure cost and size. I feel we should have the aim for becoming a member of the BRICS nations because many of these countries were probably worse of than Nigeria about 20-30 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Aspireahead(m): 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2014
blackprowler: My gut feeling has moved to disliking her. She's being given more attention than she deserves by the nigerian press. She's not the only nigerian author. Other Nigerian authors have won more prestigious literary awards than her. Winning the greatest literary award doesn't make you authority over any other subject but the one you know. We have suffered enough mumuness inthis country. I started to see her true self when she commented on Achebe's ill-informed, prejudiced last book. My view on her has subsequently been confirmed by me: she's the younger version of Achebe, all with ethnic bias
I hate you!!! that was a joke...but ogbeni,there is nothing bad about what she wrote na
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by DollyParton1(f): 6:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
jericco1: Colonised goats!!! LOL, but she's open-minded I wish & pray Oga Jonathan Follows these procedures, and the level of impunity and mutiny will reduce to the barest minimun!!, the Chibok girls will be rescued, I pray so and let him first of all meet up with their parents, Nice work Chichi. I'd give you Grammy award.
I hope to find an open-minded lady for myself!..

Here I am. Look no further. tongue
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by danchuzzy(m): 6:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
kendrick93: wat kind of long talk be dis. pls try to make ur posts short.. no one gat tym to waste readin all dis

must you comment? if you no like am go back to the fp and keep reading fp topics...

they are relatively short!
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by lacicrips(m): 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2014
Urine: Brilliant! Sarcasm at its peak, you have to be highly intelligent to decipher this. Well done!

The mod that moved this to the front page has changed the title, judgement will catch up with him soon.

Nope! Anyone with a slightly below average iq should be able to decipher this. You don't have to be an Einstein to understand what she's trying to convey.

Nice article by the way.

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 19, 2014
Aspireahead:
I hate you!!! that was a joke...but ogbeni,there is nothing bad about what she wrote na
me sef wonder why the nygga dey hate. If the press no carry am who go carry am? MayB DHL then.

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by danchuzzy(m): 7:00pm On Jul 19, 2014
blackprowler: My gut feeling has moved to disliking her. She's being given more attention than she deserves by the nigerian press. She's not the only nigerian author. Other Nigerian authors have won more prestigious literary awards than her. Winning the greatest literary award doesn't make you authority over any other subject but the one you know. We have suffered enough mumuness inthis country. I started to see her true self when she commented on Achebe's ill-informed, prejudiced last book. My view on her has subsequently been confirmed by me: she's the younger version of Achebe, all with ethnic bias

i think your MUMUNESS is entering a new dimension...
keep it up... you'd go places!!!!

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by ibdeals1(m): 7:00pm On Jul 19, 2014
hmmm
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by danchuzzy(m): 7:02pm On Jul 19, 2014
chidibond: Nice n humorous, enjoyed it. Really beats me when ppl complain about reading stuff on NL. If u feel the information is relevant to u, pray read, if not, move your lazy bone to shorter threads.

#seconded...
shorter threads like the FP grin grin
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by omajali2003(m): 7:03pm On Jul 19, 2014
Patiently read it and glad I did. Wish this would translate to reality
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by ugees(m): 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
excellent writeup.

I just wish this actually happens...

2 Likes

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by akereconfi: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
LaurelP:

Are u related to Patrick Obahiagbon?
Just wondering!
His words weren't difficult to comprehend

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by JEITO: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
Our people say,''na play play dem dey take tel oldman say im mouth dey smell.''
I must commend whoever wrote this piece, for using literature with humour to pass a sound message.

It is unfortunate, that the president is surrounded by people who have personal interest in government. People who may not represent the interest of the general public. Some of these people are bad- spoilin d govt from d inside. I wouldn't blame d president too much for this; I will first blame the constitution that insist on equitable representation in government.
This sometimes, forces the president in power, to bring into government, people who may not have the interest of the nation at heart- especially given the fact that, there are guidelines for selecting political appointees( guidelines that always seem to rule out those without strong political feet/godfather, even if they have more to offer)

The President no doubt need to do more to stamp his authority as the head of govt in Nigeria.
While he is devising new and more effective ways of doing it, LET US ALL SUPPORT HIS TRANSFORMATION AGENDA FOR THE GOOD OF US ALL.

GEJ2015 grin
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Emmaomotob(m): 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2014
fattbabakay: *folds arm* Still wondering how I am expected to read dat long sort of epistle...
ITS NOT ABOUT THE LENGTH BUT ABOUT HOW WELL WRITEN TO ENDEAR THE READERS.
I HATE THIS TYPE OF WRITING EXCEPT FOR THE SUCCESORS BY JERRY AGADA.
EVEN OBASOJO's OWN WAS BETTER WRITEN.
*****®®®THIS LADY IS NOT AS POPULAR ,EXPECTIALLY IN NIGERIA AS SHE THINKS©©©*****
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by shorexng: 7:25pm On Jul 19, 2014
That part she said, "A tin of vegetable oil would soften some bitter hearts," I'd love it this way, "A pack of sugar would erase some bitterness."

2 Likes

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by tellwisdom: 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2014
danchuzzy:

why don't you read it and stop being an e-dhiut!!!

Animal...if you talk rubbish to me next, I will make sure I piss into your mouth. Omo ale angry
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by myspnigeria: 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2014
got me glued throughout.... masterpiece

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by shorexng: 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2014
frankzone: "The people in red" who are they?
Opposition; APC

1 Like

Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by bamite(m): 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2014
date1816: From my very nature the answer was clear: I knew God could hear me. I was not incidental; I was created.
My mother was an officer in the United States Navy so we moved quite a few times growing up.
But I spent most of my childhood years in Pensacola, Florida, a town with a population of about 50,000 people.
Pensacola is most well-known for its US Naval base and its Brownsville Revival Church.
On Sunday nights, you could hear the church music from miles away. My parents instilled in me a love of learning and an inquisitive nature from an early age. They taught me to "think outside the box" and find truth inside myself. They never encouraged me to conform. They nurtured independent minds in both my brother and myself.
I will never forget the moment it occurred to me that I had the power within myself to discern the basic truth about my creation. I was in middle school. I had completed my assignment half an hour early and I was quietly occupying myself with my thoughts. That's when I first discovered my natural religion.
Stories of New Muslims
- One Step from Me ... Two Steps from God
- I Felt Islam Deep Inside My Heart
- A Faith I Had Never Considered
- The Logic of the Quran Led Me to Islam
- I Didn't Want to Die a Non-Muslim
It came to me as I was staring at our classroom whiteboard, considering the significance of the myriad of information it contained. On this board, you could find the date, our homework assignments, the lesson, and you could even see the ghosts of yesterday's whiteboard contents in the corners where the eraser hadn't quite reached.
It suddenly struck me that my brain was like this whiteboard. The only difference was that, while the contents of our classroom whiteboard had been deliberately and carefully mapped out by its owner, my brain's whiteboard had been indiscriminately written upon by every image, song, book, expression, lecture, and argument to which I had ever been exposed. I imagined that, if I could see it, it would be a chaotic, indecipherable mess. This disturbed me, but then I wondered: If the images, writings, and hidden messages could be erased, what would I find beneath?
I realized there must be, beneath all that I had soaked up, me. I recognized that under all that "information" would be my uncorrupted self. And on the tails of that hypothesis was the realization that if I could communicate with my inner nature, I could find what beliefs were natural to me.
Did I have a purpose or was I incidental?
I decided to invest all my efforts at bringing forth a mental image of my whiteboard. On the board, would be written everything I "knew" about religion. And in my mind, I would stand in front of that board wielding an eraser, ready to find the truth beneath.
Mentally, I set down my eraser and I picked up a pen. I hesitated. What should I write?
First, I came upon the memorized biblical verses from Baptist daycare: "For God so loved the world…" - erased. Next came the mantras of Christian Science Sunday School, "There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter…" - erased. And then there was a discussion I had overheard between my aunt and my parents, "Energy can be neither created nor destroyed…" - erased.
I erased it all. All the sad-eyed images of Jesus, all the verses, all the lessons, the documentaries - everything - I vanquished them. And only a shining whiteboard remained.
Mentally, I set down my eraser and I picked up a pen. I hesitated. What should I write? I started a sentence and stopped myself, suddenly very unsure. And then I asked myself the burning question that while I yearned to ask, I feared as well. I asked, "what if there is no such thing as God?" Immediately the answer ripped through my brain with almost terrifying force, shaking my whiteboard on its hinges, "Don't say that!" My nature screamed at me, "God can hear you!"
That was it. From my very nature the answer was clear: I knew God could hear me. I was not incidental; I was created. I lifted my pen and wrote simply: "I was created by God." This was my natural religion.
From then on, I carried my natural religion with me and protected it fiercely. I guarded it jealously from whatever theories, philosophies, or doctrines might indiscriminately attempt to etch themselves upon my precious whiteboard. I became skeptical of the things trusted adults might tell me.
I asked questions in Sunday school: How could God be human? How could God die? Why would God have a son? Why would God kill His son for my sins? Could God not simply forgive sin? Would you have me believe that I am more merciful than God? And the answers to these questions were either "Take it on faith," or an obvious lie.
From the day I bought it, my Quran was my favorite book. I didn't treat it like my other books.
My skepticism became cynicism. I was angry that these adults, ostensibly wiser than me, seemed intent on corrupting my inner truth. I began to hate Christianity. But I did not hate the Bible. I read the Bible and I felt love for Jesus. I felt love for the prophets. So I clung to that love and to the knowledge that my creation was no accident. I clung to my natural religion.
It wasn't until my first year of high school, that I learned what a Muslim was. My world-history teacher introduced us to Islam as part of our studies of the Arab world. Her lecture on Islamic theology was brief but shocking. She told us that there are one billion Muslims in the world. Muslims believe in One God. They believe Jesus was a prophet. It is an Abrahamic religion.
I listened in awe. And she mentioned a person who I had never heard of: Muhammad. She described him as a brilliant political leader who claimed to have received a revelation from God, called "Quran", while meditating in a cave. She described him accurately, but without love. The religion she portrayed sounded very foreign and masculine, but nonetheless it intrigued me. I resolved myself to read this revelation of Muhammad's, this "Quran."
From the day I bought it, my Quran was my favorite book. I didn't treat it like my other books. This book demanded respect. The cover had been so lovingly designed with its leather binding and lovely gold engravings. Inside, the Arabic text nestled next to the English translation fascinated me. When I carried it with me, I wrapped it in a lovely hand stitched blanket I had owned since I was a baby. I didn't want my school books rubbing against it and disturbing it.
I read the Quran patiently. In a way, I knew it was true before I read it. But the cynic in me held out, until I read one simple verse which hushed every doubt in me:
{Not for idle sport did I create the heavens and the earth and all that is between! If it had been My wish to take just a pastime, I should surely have taken it from the things nearest to Me, if I would do such a thing! Nay, I hurl the Truth against falsehood, and it knocks out its brain, and behold, falsehood does perish! Ah! Woe be to you for the false things you ascribe to Me.}( 21:16- cool
My Mind Reeled
This book was my natural religion. My natural religion was Islam
"Allah hurls truth against falsehood and knocks out its brain." I was not created idly. I am no plaything.
It all came together, my memory of my mental whiteboard shaking on its hinges and that violent cry, "God can hear you!" This verse explained it all. Allah hurls truth against falsehood and knocks out its brain.
This book was my natural religion. My natural religion was Islam.
Just about one year after I finished reading the Quran for the first time, at the age of 16, I took myShahadah. My parents, may Allah bless them and guide them, accepted my conversion from the very first day. I explained to my mother what the words of myShahadahmeant. She was surprised and curious. Shortly after I began wearing a headscarf in public, my father received some tracts in the mail which slandered Islam and Prophet Muhammad. They were sent anonymously by someone who wished to "warn" him about the "evil" religion I had embraced.
I remember my father threw them away in distaste. And he bought a book about Islam written by a Muslim to study up on my new faith. My parents make me feel very blessed.
The simple truth of Islam gives a life simple truth and meaning. Making such a huge change in direction can give a person perspective on life, one that will influence every decision they make from that day forward.
Seven years since I took myShahadah, I am now married with four children. Sometimes I look at my children in awe and try to imagine where I might be had my life followed a more conventional path. And frankly, it feels like I have been saved from something too terrible to imagine.
Islam encompasses everything I have, and more importantly everything I hope to be. I can only aspire to live up to all the blessings I have been given. All praise only due to Allah. And all thanks to Him. And there is nothing worthy of worship except Allah.
ok in sumary, u're a terrorist
good luck with ur virgins
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Chubhie: 7:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
kobonaire: I agree with you. There is so much waste in individually generating our power/water supply. We need to be able to achieve this though sadly with some form of government support given the infrastructure cost and size. I feel we should have the aim for becoming a member of the BRICS nations because many of these countries were probably worse of than Nigeria about 20-30 years ago.
It is my opinion that for Nigeria to breakthrough in record time, we need a stubborn leadership like Hitler, Ghadhafi etc who will break every self limiting patterns sold to this giant of a country by powers that be and damn the consequences. And if it entails being isolated and closing our borders until we get the basics right then strong enough to take on the world. If we are to get there through baby steps then I agree with you on our aiming in joining BRICS brotherhood. At least, we got the population.
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by sexzskil(f): 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2014
My p*ssy is scratching me. I will fvck pe*nis forever!
Re: Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie by Kweenliz007(f): 7:35pm On Jul 19, 2014
Atlast ooooo my bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kano APC Crisis: Buhari Summons Ganduje, Kwankwaso To Aso-rock / Fayose: I Buried My Presidential Ambition Because APC Rigged Ekiti Poll / Gov. Fashola’s Father Buried In Ikoyi Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.