Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,893 members, 7,956,370 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:44 AM

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming (37978 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: OLX Nigeria Reacts To Missing 3 Oyekoya Kids / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ceaser: 6:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
Abduletudaye: Oboi..Olx could be a scam for whoever that falls fro cheap stuff there..

Altho' am abit puzzled about something else I discovered. I saw this ad on FB, the person claims to be selling UK used items and based in AbJ too..

So I called to verify for BOLD5. She said it was 10K shocked..

I was shocked to also hear the amount of other phones.

But she said if the phone was to be sent to me in Lagos, I would need to pay for the transport of the phone(thru her account) and then pay on delivery to whoever brings it.. So pls guys, could this be a Scam too? Advices pls..

It looks like a scam to me. What happens to her taking care of the delivery and all and then adding it to the cost price after you both must have reached an agreement? Lagos to Abuja delivery could cost up to 1k5 to 2k. That's not too little for scammers who might simultaneously have 20 to 40 of such victims. Now 2k in 40 places is still significant. So my advice is that she takes care of the delivery while she appropriately bills you for it. At worst, she sends it thru a driver and asks him to collect the charge for delivery from you.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ceaser: 6:29pm On Jul 20, 2014
Abduletudaye: Oboi..Olx could be a scam for whoever that falls fro cheap stuff there.. Altho' am abit puzzled about something else I discovered. I saw this ad on FB, the person claims to be selling UK used items and based in AbJ too.. So I called to verify for BOLD5. She said it was 10K shocked.. I was shocked to also hear the amount of other phones. But she said if the phone was to be sent to me in Lagos, I would need to pay for the transport of the phone(thru her account) and then pay on delivery to whoever brings it.. So pls guys, could this be a Scam too? Advices pls..
It looks like a scam to me. What happens to her taking care of the delivery and all and then adding it to the cost price after you both must have reached an agreement? Lagos to Abuja delivery could cost up to 1k5 to 2k. That's not too little for scammers who might have

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kolaaderin: 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2014
ARES: when u see 2006 suv for 400k, do u need Jesus to tell u that u have entered one chance? undecided undecided undecided

Never mind the mumu jare 2010 pathfinder for 600k Ʊя̲̅ famíly name na Nissan. Who Ever fall victim fit carry gun, big armed robber.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Abduletudaye(m): 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2014
ceaser:

It looks like a scam to me. What happens to her taking care of the delivery and all and then adding it to the cost price after you both must have reached an agreement? Lagos to Abuja delivery could cost up to 1k5 to 2k. That's not too little for scammers who might simultaneously have 20 to 40 of such victims. Now 2k in 40 places is still significant. So my advice is that she takes care of the delivery while she appropriately bills you for it. At worst, she sends it thru a driver and asks him to collect the charge for delivery from you.

My brother....that's what I tot ooo.. But she insisted that I have to pay for the delivery. Anyway, am not taking that risk no more.. Thanx Nairalanders like you.. wink
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by holyeye1989(m): 6:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
justi4jesu: shine your eyes and dont be greedy too else you will fall for their scamgrin

I Ve fallen a victic pls look for somewhere else to buy online. Pls never make any payment if you Ve not seen the seller.pls
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by stagger: 7:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
Benop: Good day pals.

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

Is there any hope of recovering the money?

Can these scammers be stopped from ripping the general public?

Do OLX managers know every user of their site and are they aware of this?

I will appreciate your kind responses please!!!

So with all this noise and even rebuttals being made by customs on the fakeness of these so-called "auctioned vehicles", you still fell for it?
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by adeniyisamuel59(m): 8:03pm On Jul 20, 2014
jayseehe: I sell on OLX and I don't scam.

my ads are relatively cheaper on OLX because of the competition there...
it's higher on other sites with less competition

it is not just OLX, people are being scammed here (Nairaland) too

being scammed depends on you, why should you send money to someone without getting and testing the goods?
what happened to local pickup or pay on delivery?

FYI, I have seen situations where sellers are scammed by buyers on OLX, after delivery of the goods, the buyer will refuse to pay...

OP, don't spoil the reputation of that site, because of some people's gullibility.... I need the site so much, I buy and sell there

if you are afraid of being scammed, try Kaymu.com.ng kaymu offers escrow service
pay via kaymu SafePay, that way, the seller won't receive the money until the goods have been delivered to you and you are satisfied with it.

by the way, you can purchase from my online store @ kaymu....
use SafePay and pay with your debit(ATM) card
http://www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/don-juan/

Google Kaymu SafePay to know more about it...
you can call it Nigerian EBay version
there is no doubt about it, u are a chronic scammer.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by eledacedar(f): 8:29pm On Jul 20, 2014
Sometimes many people fall victim of their choice. I'm the kind of person that likes to enjoy warranty.
I would rather buy a brand new bold 2 for 24k and enjoy the warranty than buy fairly used bold 4 for same price 24k.

That's why I buy from the maker's outlet.

Last year, I bought a Samsung camera @ their outlet @ Adeniran Ogunsanya shopping mall. It developed fault last month and immediately I called their customer care, I was directed to the center where I should drop the camera for repairs, warranty things of course.

If I should buy on OLX, I doubt if I can get such after sale services.

All in all, Na ur choice go determine wetin u go do.

Don't be greedy.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by jayseehe(m): 8:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
adeniyisamuel59: there is no doubt about it, u are a chronic scammer.
stop being ignorant and learn, come out of the cage you are in,
Kaymu safe pay is never a scam
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by coretechng1(m): 8:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
godwinony:
on who? me, the initial seller or the fake brand manufacturer?
Hehe.God have mercy on all of unah.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by whao: 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
We have fake sellers and buyers on olx but the careless and the greedy are usually caught up in this game. I bought my two cars on olx but what I do if first tell me where u are and place of inspection, if its not where you place your advert I run with my two legs and call him olochi. My cars are in perfect order, one from a banker and the other from a navy officer. Goodluck for the wise and hardluck for the fainted heart.

2 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by godwinony(m): 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
coretechng1: Hehe.God have mercy on all of unah.
lol..fair enough..
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by IdiatFF(f): 10:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
It's quite unfortunate that when ever we thrust a step forward to join the rest of the world on the stage of globalisation, some bad eggs amongst us are always hell-bent on dragging us backward.
OLX is a great innovation that should add value to trading and businesses but alas the Nigerian thing sets in as excepted and before you say Jack Robbinson, people are being duped and befooled right left and center.
A friend was duped last week of close to 500K by some guys who claimed to be custom agents. He was asked to pay into a bank account and he, foolishly, did. I still do not believe he paid willing because he is a smart fellow; but he paid. Through my connection in the bank he paid into we were able to get the identities of the scammers. They are UniBen undergradates which I might upload their picture as soon as I get clearance. So, please whenever you are asked to pay into any bank acct with the names below, ran!
AYODELE DAVID KOLAWOLE and YAHAYA AZEEZ. Those the two bad Nigerians who scammed my friend but I believe by Allah's grace they will soonest meet their waterloo insha Allah!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by folahann(m): 10:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
I have never bought anything on OLX but I visit the site just to check hiw much people sell some stuffs especially smartphones.
A simple way to know a bit more about the intending seller is to check his/her other adverts b4 entering into negotiation.
When I see this same seller posting diff goods in Lagos west, Benin City, Port Harcourt, Oyo state, Nasarawa in less than 3 days then I know that seller can't be a serious one.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by aniyphil: 11:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
I have been buying and selling on OLX . . .matter of fact I currently have cars for sale on OLX . . .note that there are scam artistes on every online market platform . . .all you need do is have the eagle eye to identify the eediots . . for instance . . .why on earth will you send money for an SUV you just only saw pictures on OLX . . .and . . .wait for it . . .the 2008 SUV is advertised for 500k . . .come on . . .wake up!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by tojahh(m): 11:35pm On Jul 20, 2014
Olx is my preferred online shop. I have never been duped, and I have bought four items from its adverts. How dem go scam me wey I no see car of 6M person dey tell me say na 250k unto custom sales. Taaaaaa, if I hia!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by erinleae: 11:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
Sowi for dat pls, however, u av to be careful about cheap things online aside Olx, an into car sales n I ll assure u of good cars, no bills involved. Leg start talking via mail: erinleabayomi@gmail.com or mai fone on 08051700214 n 08037508387. God ll recover U all loss
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by docjuli(m): 6:11am On Jul 21, 2014
OP
May be...

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a couple, Mr. Danladi Wushishi, and Mrs. Ojuolape Wushishi, for allegedly duping unsuspecting victims to the tune of N20m in fake auction sales in Lagos.

PUNCH Metro learnt that while Ojuolape was arrested on Wednesday, June 18, at Odeogbolu Street, Ijegun, Danladi, was apprehended at Allen Avenue on Friday, June 25.

Our correspondent gathered that the couple were arrested after a petition to the Commissioner of Police, Umar Manko, from one of the victims, Mrs. Chinyere Uzorchukwu, who was allegedly duped by the couple to the tune of N5m.

The Special Anti-Robbery Squad operatives had subsequently gone on the trail of the couple and arrested them.

The Wushishis had allegedly collected money from their victims under the false pretext that they had a container load of goods meant for customs auction sales at one of the customs terminals in Lagos.

It was further learnt that prior to the incident, the couple normally took their victims to a fake customs’ warehouse in Ikorodu, Lagos, and showed them containers which were sealed. However, after payments had been made, the victims would wait endlessly expecting their goods, which never came.

Apart from Uzorchukwu, the police said the couple had also duped one Nkechi Anokwuru of about N3.5m and one Mr. Livinus of about N19m in the fake auction deals.

Danladi, 46, who hails from Niger State, confessed that he collected the money from the victims without having any goods anywhere.

He said, “I am a businessman and I am also a freight forwarder at the Tin Can Island, Lagos. I have been doing this business for about eight years. The cargo in question has an allocation paper that read clothes, but when I got there, I saw that it only contained books.

“Then, I called one Alhaji Issa, a clearing agent in Abuja, and he said the clothes could be in another container. But he added that I would pay N3.5m to get it. I then lied to my wife that I needed someone dealing in Okrika clothes as I had clothes to sell. That was how we met Chinyere. We first collected N1.35m from her, and then N800,000, and then N700,000.

“I also collected N14m from Livinus in same transaction. But I never received any container since I started collecting money from this people. My wife is not aware that I was duping them.”

Ojuolape, 48, said her husband dragged her into the fraud mess as she never knew that the container they had in Ikorodu was empty.

She said, “I was a trader at Ikotun. I usually bought goods (clothes) from Dubai and London. I have been doing this business for about seven years. I usually do it with my husband.

“About two months ago, my husband told me that there is an auction paper for second-hand Okrika clothes. So, I spoke with some people, who began to pay. But when we got to Ikorodu, we discovered that no container had Okrika clothes.

Ojuolape, mother of four, added that when she discovered that there were no clothes, she warned her

Copyright PUNCH.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by MadCow1: 6:19am On Jul 21, 2014
My Boss was so skeptical about OLX when he saw a car advertised for a ridiculously cheap price that he placed a call to the seller.

He said it took him less than 30mins to realize that it was a scam.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by chimajii: 6:27am On Jul 21, 2014
jayseehe: I sell on OLX and I don't scam.

my ads are relatively cheaper on OLX because of the competition there...
it's higher on other sites with less competition

it is not just OLX, people are being scammed here (Nairaland) too

being scammed depends on you, why should you send money to someone without getting and testing the goods?
what happened to local pickup or pay on delivery?

FYI, I have seen situations where sellers are scammed by buyers on OLX, after delivery of the goods, the buyer will refuse to pay...

OP, don't spoil the reputation of that site, because of some people's gullibility.... I need the site so much, I buy and sell there

if you are afraid of being scammed, try Kaymu.com.ng kaymu offers escrow service
pay via kaymu SafePay, that way, the seller won't receive the money until the goods have been delivered to you and you are satisfied with it.

by the way, you can purchase from my online store @ kaymu....
use SafePay and pay with your debit(ATM) card
http://www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/don-juan/

Google Kaymu SafePay to know more about it...
you can call it Nigerian EBay version

Not you snatching this opportunity to swiftly market yourself. And you did it well. Weldone
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by chimajii: 6:32am On Jul 21, 2014
shachris: Don't blame olx, blame your greedy black heart

And this is coming from someone who has never bought anything cheap right? Don't try to paint a 'perfect' picture to impressionable users. As much as he should have done his findings *that's if this story is true?* cause too much scam issues springing up. Don't crucify him for an honest mistake. Sometimes most persons are not in the know. Someone may have made a thread cautioning forumites/nlanders, but u'll be shocked that not many persons may have seen it,as most people don't Thread throt or section throt. Go easy on him!!
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by jayseehe(m): 6:58am On Jul 21, 2014
chimajii:

Not you snatching this opportunity to swiftly market yourself. And you did it well. Weldone
cheesy

bro, how betting dey go?
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by chimajii: 7:06am On Jul 21, 2014
jayseehe:
cheesy

bro, how betting dey go?

AMAZING!, Ha! o.O, *looks around* Exits quickly.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by majorholdings: 9:33am On Jul 21, 2014
scammers feed on your greed

1) you can not get a new iphone 5s for 40k (haba youself think now)
2) always make sure you meet the person one on one before you make payment and please meet in a public place

#bless
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by biz2get(m): 9:59am On Jul 21, 2014
Just take a good look at this http://m./item/show/680224502
Who in his right sense will sell iPhone 5s 40k? ?
If not a scammer. ....
And some greedy fools will still call the number. .. and come here crying like they don't know the real amount of the device angry
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by shieldvoice(m): 10:07am On Jul 21, 2014
Good morning ladies and gentlemen, please is ebayonline.com.ng a true site Managed in Nigeria by BEN IKE NIGERIA LTD Under Franchise a true company or fraud.
Thanks
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Abduletudaye(m): 11:36am On Jul 21, 2014
biz2get: Just take a good look at this http://m./item/show/680224502
Who in his right sense will sell iPhone 5s 40k? ?
If not a scammer. ....
And some greedy fools will still call the number. .. and come here crying like they don't know the real amount of the device angry

Na wa.. Assuming its UK used of iPhone4, I would agree to that price.. But even a UK used Iphone5 cannot go for that price..kai, some people are dubious oo...

The painful thing is, another maga will still call the number.. Bro, bone story...Naija is like dat.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by eddieedoho: 11:59am On Jul 21, 2014
SAD all those cheap cars advert on olx are scam . Be warned.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 12:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
kheart: it s a used samsung galaxy grand duos II and m base in kaduna.
how do I contact him, m looking for used one. Additional info about the dude dat scam me, 08149050012, 08166605515(dis should be his personal line) he also use deletuos, dele, Mr ayo or dele orobor. Custombayoayoronde@gmail.com. I m still working to get his pix, will upload d moment I verify
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 12:45pm On Jul 21, 2014
Abduletudaye:

Na wa.. Assuming its UK used of iPhone4, I would agree to that price.. But even a UK used Iphone5 cannot go for that price..kai, some people are dubious oo...

The painful thing is, another maga will still call the number.. Bro, bone story...Naija is like dat.
I don't see anything wrong in selling ur items relatively cheaper than d actual price. I saw som1 bought brand new galaxy note (2014) for 40k.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by biz2get(m): 1:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
Abduletudaye:

Abi oh... right from the time of Adam and eve
Fish as always been in the water....
So no matter how we try to stop em from scamming...
Som1 somwere is being scammed ...m angry
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by biz2get(m): 1:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
kheart: I don't see anything wrong in selling ur items relatively cheaper than d actual price. I saw som1 bought brand new galaxy note (2014) for 40k.

That one is different man....

Imagine you call the number and he tells you he will send it via "waybill" should that not be a problem? Or a red flag??

Maybe the niqqa who sold the shi for 40k needed quick tho...
Shi* happens...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What A Banker Did To Me Recently / Naira Crashes Even Further To 300 Against Dollar / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.