Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,049 members, 7,956,905 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:08 PM

Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? (12828 Views)

***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** / Trip From Abuja To Enugu & Anambra With My 505 V6 (1,505 Km/935 Miles) / My Peugeot 505 V6 5sp Stalls & Emits Black Smoke Under Heavy Acceleration. Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2014
Worst car you've ever owned?

"The worst I suppose was my first Peugeot 505 estate, it seemed to be jinked from the day I got it."

http://www.fordownersclub dot com/forums/topic/23006-worst-cars-you-have-ever-owned/
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
Peugeot made some outstanding models back in the more glorious days.

I actually have a model of the Columbo 403 complete with his doll, one of my prized possessions.

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
More worthy Peugeots.

I grew up with a 404. The classics ones are worthy machines, the newer ones, to savvy autoist are just a "me too" trinket.

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 6:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
Now, lets come to 2014, this year.

About 8 Vehicles were nominated for the 2014 European Car of the Year contests.

The Nominees were:

1. BMW i3.

2. Citroen C4 Picasso

3. Mazda 3.

4. Mercedes S-class.

5. Peugeot 308

6. Skoda Octavia.

7. Tesla Model S.

And the winner is......... Peugeot 308!

Now, the shameful thing is that Toyota was not even nominated, yet 2 PSA cars made the contest and 1 won. Imagine! Lol! Even the Mazda brand that is also Japanese that Toyota owners look down on made the contest. And you want to compare Peugeot to Toyota. Shame!

See for yourself below:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Peugeot-308-wins-European-Car-of-the-Year-2014/

Even when the small baby Lion roared (Peugeot 308), other animals ran into hinding. cheesy

Let me show you my claws.

Ikenna

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by abatically(m): 7:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
Omg I'm loving this thread. European car of the year my a$$. We all know the judges will always favor European cars, even at that a Toyota was runners up in 2013 while Toyota yaris made top 6 in 2012.. Where is that Peugeot in north America today? Winning a car of the year means nothing, if a Toyota yaris can make top 6 then it tells u a lot that only the judges understand what criteria they use in judging.

Peugeot were kicked out of the USA because they failed to meet security standards. They are really living on past glory. Toyota became the best selling brand because of their reliability and second hand value. Reliability is what really matters to an average car user and the new Peugeots are not know to be very reliable. Lexus RX has been the best rated and selling mid luxury SUV in north America for years and Toyota Camry and Honda accord have always been in top 5.

Whatever car Peugeot have in their sleeve, there's always a Toyota or Honda that is better. Peugeot 508 vs Camry? Hold on one sec... 508 is a large family car while keeping Camry is mid size family car. Put the Peugeot 508 against Toyota Avalon.

2 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
abatically: Omg I'm loving this thread. European car of the year my a$$. We all know the judges will always favor European cars, even at that a Toyota was runners up in 2013 while Toyota yaris made top 6 in 2012.. Where is that Peugeot in north America today? Winning a car of the year means nothing, if a Toyota yaris can make top 6 then it tells u a lot that only the judges understand what criteria they use in judging.

Peugeot were kicked out of the USA because they failed to meet security standards. They are really living on past glory. Toyota became the best selling brand because of their reliability and second hand value. Reliability is what really matters to an average car user and the new Peugeots are not know to be very reliable. Lexus RX has been the best rated and selling mid luxury SUV in north America for years and Toyota Camry and Honda accord have always been in top 5.

Whatever car Peugeot have in their sleeve, there's always a Toyota or Honda that is better. Peugeot 508 vs Camry? Hold on one sec... 508 is a large family car while keeping Camry is mid size family car. Put the Peugeot 508 against Toyota Avalon.

Glad to see that NL waters are infested with people who have deep auto knowledge that is not limited to just ONE (1) brand grin

I said this before, any manufacturer that doesn't qualify to sell in the US due to our stringent safety requirements is suspect.

Even FIAT is back and in full force. Heck Kia/Hyundai/Daewoo etc are all over the roads here.

The truth is that all of the car rags have their own "Car Of The Year" list and award. Some are suspect since they receive adverts from manufacturers. Consumer Report is an outfit that does not accept any deals from manufacturer so I completely trust there opinion.

To even list a Peugeot when describing cars of worthy shows shortsightedness and an illogical and unhealthy clinginess to a single brand.

I have taken it as my personal challenge to educate those who want to learn and counter (lien by line if necessary) those who remains in an almost stoic manner to a brand that is the ridicule of the world.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
"The Peugeot 406 is a large family car made by the French automaker Peugeot from 1995 to 2004. Available in saloon, estate and coupé bodystyles with a choice of petrol or turbodiesel engines, the 406 replaced the Peugeot 405 in Peugeot's lineup, and was itself replaced by the Peugeot 407. It used the same platform as the Citroën Xantia, though without that car's sophisticated hydropneumatic suspension system."

The "roar" of the 406 must be the cooling fans trying it's best to keep up with the heat from the illogical engine bays is actually an inferior Citreon.

How can anyone be proud of a car that is actually inferior to a Citreon? grin
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
"PSA Peugeot Citroën build the 508 in China in partnership with Dongfeng Motor, and sold 65,000 units locally in 2012. It was launched there on 10 August 2011.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia dot org/wiki/Peugeot_508

The 508 is a laughable caricature.

It's built by the Chinese (an impressive country and people but not known for automotive excellence or actually any industrial excellence) and built by Citroen grin

When you have solid products that the world consumers actually like and want, you won't need to ask Pinnafaria to design cars for you (so you can hump onto it's name), making nonsensical allegiance to other manufacturers and be built in sub standard condition.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
Subaru is a world class automobiles that it's entire fleet, at least in USA, is AWD.

If any car company can be described as having "claws" then it's Subaru since they claw out of any bad road conditions. But I'm sure the engineers and owners won't want to use such an effeminate word to describe their proud offerings.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by oweniwe(m): 9:41pm On Jul 23, 2014
i don't why grown up people. . Men for that matter. . Would be arguing about cars that were launched over 25 years ago and sold and served their purpose.

Its like saying houses built with cement is safer than houses built with red bricks. . two houses, one built with red brick and the other with cement block. The house built with red brick is still standing with the owner living in it while the cement house has fallen apart and rebuilt again. . .

A lot of advancements have taken place since then. The fact that something wasn't good enough over 25 years ago doesn't mean the makers haven't stepped up.

Well. . . Its not appropriate to compare a 505 with a corolla. . Maybe with a camry. .

Anyway. . Action speaks louder than words. . Inspite of some folks shouting and screaming that 505 isn't safe, there're thousands of 505s that're still running and serving their owners.

Where is the toyota corolla you're comparing 505 with on the road? If the corolla's so rugged, safe and durable, then why aren't they still running like the 505? Before u see one of those old toyota, you will search four or five local government districts. . .

But the 505s are still running. So whats all the fuss about?

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 11:07pm On Jul 23, 2014
oweniwe,

People with bad intentions will tell you " The truth is not important. What matters is how the public accepts the truth". That's the intention this thread was created, very unfortunate.

You know, I had to restrain myself from saying all I know about Toyota when compared to Peugeot. Because if I had done that, Nairalanders that will hate Ikenna351 will triple, especially those that drive Toyota. Lol !

For example, I met a guy at a business meeting few days ago. We got talking and he learnt I specialize in Peugeot brand. He told me he wanted to buy a Peugeot 406 but didn't know much about 406, which engine to go for and the rest. And that his friends have switched to Peugeot, especially 406. I did my best explaining things he needed to know about 406. When we both came down, he went straight and opened Toyota Camry 2007 -2008 model. I was surprised how could an owner of such Camry consider 406. Wouldn't know what to call it. A downgrade or upgrade. Lol! But then, he said his family stay in Abuja while he lives in Kaduna. So he drives from Kaduna to Abuja to spend weekend with his family and drive back to Kaduna every Monday morning. So, he needed a reliable and durable ride that will serve that purpose. Meaning, the Camry isn't serving the purpose. So if 406 and other Peugeots are not safe, handlers and rugged, why the switch or wanting to switch to Peugeot if the brand they were or currently using is satisfying them?

Anyone that have truly used Peugeot hardly leaves the brand, even if he/she have other brands. If 505 isn't safe as they claim, why would dozens of Americans in US and Canada engage me in buying and shipping Peugeot 505 parts to them? Even though they all had other brand of cars, they still want their 505s to remain with them and on the road as long as it takes.

When people claim 504 was better than 505, I would wonder where they got such false information. Because I single handedly converted a 504 to 505, by swapping the every mechanicals to 505 body from 504. The only very few that didn't match was because they were longer, not because the designs or shapes were different, but longer. Every mechanical you find in 504 is what you find in 505.

This thread was opened to discredit Ikenna351. Discrediting Peugeot 505 is the only way they thought of to get to me, but they forgot Ikenna351 is not a PAN or PSA staff. Lol!

From what I learnt recently, meeting a wrong friend makes you suffer for 10 years. But meeting a wrong woman makes you suffer for life. Whatever or whomever one chooses to believe from what he read online, is upto him or her. Like I always say, its all about you and choices you make; its your call to make.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 23, 2014
oweniwe: i don't why grown up people. . Men for that matter. . Would be arguing about cars that were launched over 25 years ago and sold and served their purpose.

Its like saying houses built with cement is safer than houses built with red bricks. . two houses, one built with red brick and the other with cement block. The house built with red brick is still standing with the owner living in it while the cement house has fallen apart and rebuilt again. . .

A lot of advancements have taken place since then. The fact that something wasn't good enough over 25 years ago doesn't mean the makers haven't stepped up.

Well. . . Its not appropriate to compare a 505 with a corolla. . Maybe with a camry. .

Anyway. . Action speaks louder than words. . Inspite of some folks shouting and screaming that 505 isn't safe, there're thousands of 505s that're still running and serving their owners.

Where is the toyota corolla you're comparing 505 with on the road? If the corolla's so rugged, safe and durable, then why aren't they still running like the 505? Before u see one of those old toyota, you will search four or five local government districts. . .

Thanks for taking time out of your world saving job to weigh on this childish subject - lol

And you just didn't weigh in but you wrote a thesis.

I didn't do the comparison, it was done by people with more wherewithal than you.

It's a credible discussion so please give us more feedback on your automotive prowess of which are many I'm sure, since you're the self appointed czar on what should be discussed.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by abatically(m): 12:13am On Jul 24, 2014
oweniwe: i don't why grown up people. . Men for that matter. . Would be arguing about cars that were launched over 25 years ago and sold and served their purpose.

I think u still fail to understand the topic. Peugeots are living on past glory, the 505 is still one of their best cars till date, but that doesn't mean it is safer than the corresponding corolla.

You see more of those 80's 505 on the road than corolla? Yes no doubt about that. Reason? Most of the owners bought them new when PAN was very strong in Nigeria. Those days the Japanese where still in their infants and there wasn't anything like tokunbo cars. Fast forward many years and reverse is the case... Japanese invasion and they are really here to stay for a long time. I'm very sure u will count 20 Toyota cars on the road before u can spot one Peugeot. Lots of Peugeots plants here have shut down. 160 million people can't be wrong. How come Toyota became the world's biggest automaker? They must be doing something right. The whole world can't be wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 6:50am On Jul 24, 2014
While they are hating, see Father and Son having a private conversation. cheesy

The King of Lions and King of Foxes! My aggressive Lions! cool

Ikenna
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 24, 2014
Eeyahh, meanwhile I saw this today grin

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 8:12am On Jul 24, 2014
abatically:

I think u still fail to understand the topic. Peugeots are living on past glory, the 505 is still one of their best cars till date, but that doesn't mean it is safer than the corresponding corolla.

You see more of those 80's 505 on the road than corolla? Yes no doubt about that. Reason? Most of the owners bought them new when PAN was very strong in Nigeria. Those days the Japanese where still in their infants and there wasn't anything like tokunbo cars. Fast forward many years and reverse is the case... Japanese invasion and they are really here to stay for a long time. I'm very sure u will count 20 Toyota cars on the road before u can spot one Peugeot. Lots of Peugeots plants here have shut down. 160 million people can't be wrong. How come Toyota became the world's biggest automaker? They must be doing something right. The whole world can't be wrong.

Funny thing about staying anonymous in online forum is that no matter how you want to stay anonymous so that you can claim you own heaven and Earth or how young or old you are, your comments will always prove you otherwise.

How many Peugeots plants do we have in Nigeria for you to say " Lots of Peugeot plants here have shut down" ?

Anything you don't understand or not sure of, ask the elderly ones around you to explain to you, rather than make statements that look ridiculous. In the '80s & '90s in Enugu, about 70% of cars on roads were Japanese cars: Toyota Corolla, Datsun 160,180B,180k, etc. Only people who could afford brand new Peugeot 504s & 505s were rich business guys and mostly senior civil servants. Peugeot 505 (PAN) in the '80s cost about 7-12k. Hoe many Nigerians could afford that amount of money in that decade, let alone have assess to that kind of loan? But today, if you go back to Enugu town, you won't see any of those old Japs on the road anymore. In the '90s, about 90% of Taxis in Enugu town were those Corollas and Datsun. But now, they are all long gone. Yet, today, Peugeot 504 & 505 are still used for inter-state commercial transportation, even 404 pickups.

2 days ago, I had to repark a Toyota Camry 1999 model for someone that blocked another vehicle. The few minutes I stayed behind that wheel worth mentioning here. Each time I touched the accelerator pedal, the car would bounce. Each time I stopped accelerating, the tail would push up. Finally, each time I touched the brake pedal, the car would turn to basket ball. I mean, do people really feel safe driving that car? (No offence to Toyota owners please). How could a car be so weightless that simple acceleration make the car bounce as if it has no atom of weight on it? All my life, I have driven all types of Peugeot cars, both mine and others, both ones with failed shock absorbers and good ones. But never for once have I experienced what happened that day in any of them. Yet people are telling us here how "unsafe" Peugeots are and how safer Toyotas are. What an irony! Go out there, watch as Peugeots and Toyotas pass. Come back and tell us how many Peugeots bounce when the drivers apply the brakes and how many Toyotas do the same. But you want to compare a bouncing basket ball on highway to a drum on highway? Which is safer?

The world must not always be right. That Ferraris and Porsches don't sell that much does not mean your Toyota is better than them in quality. The current state of the world economy has shaped majority mindset to think and remain as misers, forgive me to use that word. Everyone now go for the cheapest, not for the cheap anymore. With that, they remain in that circle and live the rest of their life in quiet desperation. People are so comfortable with pennies they earn monthly rather than look for
other means to create wealth. The older we get, the more we give up on our dreams. So, yes, the world must not always be right. Otherwise, if one is to follow moral standard in the world today, then Hell fire becomes everyone's 4th name.

Change your mindset, its all I am saying. Peugeots may not be the best cars out there, but they are handlers your Japs don't come close to. They are expensive to run, so are other Euro cars. French cars technologies are different and so there performance. To enjoy that, you have to step up and work on your mindset. But if that will be very difficult for you, then keep to your Japs and let us enjoy our lives. Will that be too difficult for you to do as well?

Good morning.

Ikenna
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by abatically(m): 8:33am On Jul 24, 2014
Ikenna351:

Funny thing about staying anonymous in online forum is that no matter how you want to stay anonymous so that you can claim you own heaven and Earth or how young or old you are, your comments will always prove you otherwise.

How many Peugeots plants do we have in Nigeria for you to say " Lots of Peugeot plants here have shut down" ?

Anything you don't understand or not sure of, ask the elderly ones around you to explain to you, rather than make statements that look ridiculous. In the '80s & '90s in Enugu, about 70% of cars on roads were Japanese cars: Toyota Corolla, Datsun 160,180B,180k, etc. Only people who could afford brand new Peugeot 504s & 505s were rich business guys and mostly senior civil servants. Peugeot 505 (PAN) in the '80s cost about 7-8k. Hoe many Nigerians could afford that amount of money in that decade, let alone have assess to that kind of loan? But today, if you go back to Enugu town, you won't see any of those old Japs on the road anymore. In the '90s, about 90% of Taxis in Enugu town were those Corollas and Datsun. But now, they are all long gone. Yet, today, Peugeot 504 & 505 are still used for inter-state commercial transportation, even 404 pickups.

2 days ago, I had to repark a Toyota Camry 1999 model for someone that blocked another vehicle. The few minutes I stayed behind that wheel worth mentioning here. Each time I touched the accelerator pedal, the car would bounce. Each time I stopped accelerating, the tail would push up. Finally, each time I touched the brake pedal, the car would turn to basket ball. I mean, do people really feel safe driving that car? (No offence to Toyota owners please). How could a car be so weightless that simple acceleration make the car bounce as if it has no atom of weight on it? All my life, I have driven all types of Peugeot cars, both mine and others, both ones with failed shock absorbers and good ones. But never for once have I experienced what happened that day in any of them. Yet people are telling us here how "unsafe" Peugeots are and how safer Toyotas are. What an irony! Go out there, watch as Peugeots and Toyotas pass. Come back and tell us how many Peugeots bounce when the drivers apply the brakes and how many Toyotas do the same. But you want to compare a bouncing basket ball on highway to a drum on highway? Which is safer?

The world must not always be right. That Ferraris and Porsches don't sell that much does not mean your Toyota is better than them in quality. The current state of the world economy has shaped majority mindset to think and remain as misers, forgive me to use that word. Everyone now go for the cheapest, not for the cheap anymore. With that, they remain in that circle and live the rest of their life in quiet desperation. People are so comfortable with pennies they earn monthly rather than look for
other means to create wealth. The older we get, the more we give up on our dreams. So, yes, the world must not always be right. Otherwise, if one is to follow moral standard in the world today, then Hell fire becomes everyone's 4th name.

Change your mindset, its all I am saying. Peugeots may not be the best cars out there, but they are handlers your Japs don't come close to. They are expensive to run, so are other Euro cars. French cars technologies are different and so there performance. To enjoy that, you have to step up and work on your mindset. But if that will be very difficult for you, then keep to your Japs and let us enjoy our lives. Will that be too difficult for you to do as well?

Good morning.

Ikenna

Eeya... Sorry oh, Mr grandfather. You think I get moved by ur very long, boring and one directional essays? Pffft. Maybe u don't see the old japs in Enugu, but here in Lagos I hardly see any of those old jalopy Peugeots u call lion. Interstate buses are Toyotas and Mitsubishis, I even see old Datsuns and 80's Camry used as taxis, no Peugeots.

You calling old 505 and 504 just proves that Peugeots are living on past glory. In those days only the rich can afford a Peugeot, but today the rich would rather buy a merc or BMW or even a lexus or an acura .I don't even think Peugeot got a good SUV out there... (Maybe they only sell them in their native France). The average man would buy a Camry or an accord while a low income earner would buy a picanto . Peugeots are just confused, they don't know where to place themselves and that is why they are on the decline and now doing everything to get back in the game. They place themselves in the middle, not luxury, not middle class.. A rich man would not buy a Peugeot, an average and poor man would still not buy a Peugeot. That says a lot.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by oweniwe(m): 8:48am On Jul 24, 2014
abatically:

You see more of those 80's 505 on the road than corolla? Yes no doubt about that. Reason? Most of the owners bought them new when PAN was very strong in Nigeria. Those days the Japanese where still in their infants and there wasn't anything like tokunbo cars.

Your analogy doesn't hold much water. So you're saying those who bought the 505s brand new in the 80s didn't resell them? What is the difference between if someone buys a naija used car that was brought brand new by the former owner(s) and if he buys tokunbo? Aren't both the naija used and tokunbo still second hand?

My late step grand father, an Egba high chief bought a 504 station wagon brand new back in the 80s. In 1998 when he died, his family wanted to sell the car to raise money for his burial. My dad bought the 504 wagon from them and used it for about 5 years. When my dad upgraded to a toks 190 benz in 2003, he returned the 504 back to the family. . That 504 wagon is still running today.

To say the corollas aren't in use again cos they're imported tokunbo is a very filmsy excuse. Even the toks 190 benz is still running. . . Old VW Jettas are still running.

Lets just admit the truth. . Toyota cars aren't built to last long. . If u intend to use a toyota more than 5 years, you'll have to change the engine at one point. . You can imagine what'll become of toyota if there's no replacement engines available.

abatically: Lots of Peugeots plants here have shut down. 160 million people can't be wrong. How come Toyota became the world's biggest automaker? They must be doing something right. The whole world can't be wrong.
It seems you have personal vendetta against peugeot. What about ashok leyland, bedford, ANAMCO? Why did they fold up? Is it because their trucks/buses aren't safe/efficient? No. Its wrong goverment policy that killed them. The flooding of the country with cheap tokunbo cars and spare parts is what killed nigeria's auto industry,
160m nigerians don't buy tokunbo cars because tokunbo are better than new ones. They buy tokunbo cos they can't afford new cars.

Its same reason why nigerians are buying fairly used/refurbished phones and laptops. They can't afford new ones. The Nigerian Economy is bad. If the economy gets better, if its possible to buy a brand new executive sedan for 2m, nobody will be buying tokunbo again.

Toyota sells millions of cars in nigeria and yet they don't have plant here. Peugeot on the other hand has a plant in Nigeria churning out new vehicles and you're still abusing them. Stop defending toyota anyhow . . Ok
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by oweniwe(m): 9:03am On Jul 24, 2014
Ikenna351

Pls leave these guys alone. They've already hardened their mind, closed their ears. . Let them carry their pangolo corolla dey do yanga.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by abatically(m): 10:31am On Jul 24, 2014
oweniwe:
Your analogy doesn't hold much water. So you're saying those who bought the 505s brand new in the 80s didn't resell them? What is the difference between if someone buys a naija used car that was brought brand new by the former owner(s) and if he buys tokunbo? Aren't both the naija used and tokunbo still second hand?
Looks like u don't understand me. In Lagos where I currently live I hardly see 505's and 504's on the road.. but i still see lots of 80's corolla s and camrys used as taxis. Dude we all know Peugeots ruled in the 80's and only the rich were able to buy them. THIS IS WHY I SAID THEY ARE LIVING ON PAST GLORY. They made some impressive cars back then, but being heavy and strong doesn't mean they are safer. This is why they got kicked out of North America because they failed to meet safety standards while the likes of Toyota were safer to drive. I know there were lots of japanese small cars in the 80's but then Peugeot 505 and 504 were the more premium cars and were respected than the datsuns and co. But what happened when the Japanese started pushing Premium cars? They kicked Peugeot out really hard and people hardly buy them. I can't even see a Peugeot that can match a Lexus.

Let's put it this way, Peugeots are like Blackberry. They dominated in the past, and then relaxed while Toyota and co are like Apple and Samsung. They came out with better products and kicked Blackberry out. Blackberry are living on past glory, I see a lot of Nigerians still like them though, same thing with Peugeot fanatics.

oweniwe:

My late step grand father, an Egba high chief bought a 504 station wagon brand new back in the 80s. In 1998 when he died, his family wanted to sell the car to raise money for his burial. My dad bought the 504 wagon from them and used it for about 5 years. When my dad upgraded to a toks 190 benz in 2003, he returned the 504 back to the family. . That 504 wagon is still running today.

Past glory dude... Powers have changed hands. Aston Villa won the English league title 7 times in the past, where are they today?

oweniwe:
To say the corollas aren't in use again cos they're imported tokunbo is a very filmsy excuse. Even the toks 190 benz is still running. . . Old VW Jettas are still running.

I didn't say the corollas are no longer in use. Benz 190 vs corolla? You do know Benz 190 is an executive car while 80's corollas are very small compact cars even though they changed to front wheel drive in the 80's. Toyota still make better all round cars than the competition. Like it or not, Japanese competition is still the reason the Germans are now making fuel efficient cars.

oweniwe:
Lets just admit the truth. . Toyota cars aren't built to last long. . If u intend to use a toyota more than 5 years, you'll have to change the engine at one point. . You can imagine what'll become of toyota if there's no replacement engines available.

My grandfather's 1986 Toyota Camry is still running with its original engine and transmission. You think Toyota's are not built to last? Then why are they the world's biggest car maker? Why is the corolla the all time top selling car in the world even though they came late into the game? Why are Toyota and Honda products top of the table in consumer's report for reliability? And yet u think they are not built to last?

oweniwe:
Its same reason why nigerians are buying fairly used/refurbished phones and laptops. They can't afford new ones. The Nigerian Economy is bad. If the economy gets better, if its possible to buy a brand new executive sedan for 2m, nobody will be buying tokunbo again.

All over the world, people buy used car.. its not just in Nigeria. Moreover the number of brand new Toyota's still surpass brand new Peougeots (by a very long mile) in Nigeria. So I really do not get ur point. Lots of Toyota dealerships everywhere (Not just Nigeria) because Toyota is a trusted brand. If I want to be a dealership today, u don't expect me to go Peugeot... why would I when I know I will hardly sell 2 cars in a week while the Toyota dealership beside me is selling 8 cars a week. That is suffering and smiling. It is not a matter of price dude. I am very sure a 1999 Camry is more expensive than a 1999 Peugeot 406, even though the 406 might be slightly more expensive when new. A brand new Camry and a brand new Peugot 508 are almost the same price, but people still choose Camry over 508.. so its got nothing to do with price. I can also guarantee u that in 10 years time, a used 2014 Toyota Camry will be way more expensive than a used 2014 Peugeot 508. Why? And u still think Toyota cars are not built to last?

oweniwe:
Toyota sells millions of cars in nigeria and yet they don't have plant here. Peugeot on the other hand has a plant in Nigeria churning out new vehicles and you're still abusing them. Stop defending toyota anyhow . . Ok

Where are the Peugeot assembly plants today? Why are they lagging behind compared to the competition? Do u want to compare the number of Toyota dealerships across the country with Peugeots?

2 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 24, 2014
abatically:

Eeya... Sorry oh, Mr grandfather. You think I get moved by ur very long, boring and one directional essays? Pffft. Maybe u don't see the old japs in Enugu, but here in Lagos I hardly see any of those old jalopy Peugeots u call lion. Interstate buses are Toyotas and Mitsubishis, I even see old Datsuns and 80's Camry used as taxis, no Peugeots.

You calling old 505 and 504 just proves that Peugeots are living on past glory. In those days only the rich can afford a Peugeot, but today the rich would rather buy a merc or BMW or even a lexus or an acura .I don't even think Peugeot got a good SUV out there... (Maybe they only sell them in their native France). The average man would buy a Camry or an accord while a low income earner would buy a picanto . Peugeots are just confused, they don't know where to place themselves and that is why they are on the decline and now doing everything to get back in the game. They place themselves in the middle, not luxury, not middle class.. A rich man would not buy a Peugeot, an average and poor man would still not buy a Peugeot. That says a lot.

True about not seeing them anymore on the road as much.

I saw one 404 pickup that was all and it was in a deplorable condition.

Misery loves company and that's the only reason why any sane person will recommend a Peugeot as a car to any Nigerian in 2014. Or maybe they want more visitors to the insignificant "other" forum or perhaps the opportunity to fleece unsavvy buyers with mechanic offers.

It makes no sense.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2014
oweniwe:

It seems you have personal vendetta against peugeot. What about ashok leyland, bedford, ANAMCO? Why did they fold up? Is it because their trucks/buses aren't safe/efficient? No. Its wrong goverment policy that killed them. The flooding of the country with cheap tokunbo cars and spare parts is what killed nigeria's auto industry,
160m nigerians don't buy tokunbo cars because tokunbo are better than new ones. They buy tokunbo cos they can't afford new cars.

Only Nigerians are the ones that are going to argue against facts.

Fact: The 505 is worst rated and most dangerous automobiles ever tested by NHTSA.

Not 504, Corolla, not the Chinese crap 406 (PONTIAC), just the 505.

Stay on topic and stop taking things so personal.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 24, 2014
Why are some of us threatened by others and at the slightest loss of logical responses they turn to the lame "you're anonymous on the internet" childish retort?

I have stated before that my site is QuickSilver.VillageHeadMaster dot Com (I think some "offended" mod has done wayo and I get banned for posting urls and only on CarTalk - imagine that) grin

Here's another picture.

Go ahead, tell me my nose is big, my car looks ugly, it doesn't have a hood,it has no fenders, go on,

The biggest laugh I've had all week is the picture of two lame Peugeots (one is the most unsafe car ever tested in the US and the other is a made in China and is a lower model to an ordinary Citroen) but it goes to show the automotive immaturity of whom I am debating against.

So stop your sniveling and your lame accusation of anonymity.

You and I are just not in the same league. Drop your arrogance and learn a thing or two.

2 Likes

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by abatically(m): 4:31pm On Jul 24, 2014
CityNG:
The biggest laugh I've had all week is the picture of two lame Peugeots (one is the most unsafe car ever tested in the US and the other is a made in China and is a lower model to an ordinary Citroen) but it goes to show the automotive immaturity of whom I am debating against.

So stop your sniveling and your lame accusation of anonymity.

And then funny thing is eybrows will be raised whenever they spot a Peugeot 508 on the road. Not because it is a superior car to the new Honda accord.... But because it is uncommon while the new Camry and accord are everywhere. Uncommon doesn't always mean better.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 24, 2014
On quick story, I went to an auction near me a few years ago. In one of the corner was a Bentley that was probably used as a rental fleet - was obviously in bad shape to even be at this type of auction. This auction allows you to start the engine and move the car forward and backwards.

So of course I jumped in and gave it a go. It was obvious that the converter was bad on this car because it took it about 5 minutes from it to go forward or backwards after you press the gas.

It will be uneducated and illogical of me to now think that based on that one experience that Bentleys are crap.

So someone drove a Toyota that had bad shocks so it "bounced" so what, that just shows a car that needs work.

And this notion that "him heavy well well" will not be used by anyone with automotive sense. A car being heavy doesn't equate to safety anymore.

1 Like

Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 3:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
My aggressive Lions! cool

Ikenna
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 3:18pm On Jul 30, 2014
The King Of The Lions :

1989 Peugeot 505 V6 Automatique

HOW IT ALL STARTED: In spring 2001 I decided that it was time for a new every-day car. With the 505 STI taxed as a classic car, I couldn't use it on a daily basis anymore (German laws...). So the logical (?) consequence was a 2nd series 505 GTI, Turbo or V6 in top condition, and with an auto 'box and catalytic converter. But these cars are so rare over here, let alone 505s in good condition.

Eventually, I bought my dream-V6 Biewen with help from fellow enthusiast Lorenzo Cusumano, who owns a 1979 504 TI and a 1986 505 Turbo. Ludwig does professional conversions of 504 CC to V6 power, so without Lorenzo, my V6 would have been parted out... From 2003 on, this 505 V6 became a pampered summer car. And please don't ask, I am not selling it.

505 V6: Unique combination of power, fantastic ride and beautiful styling.

THE KING OF THE LIONS
: Fuel-injected ZN3J V6 engine, 2.829 cc, 143 bhp @ 5000 rpm (more w/o cat converter), maximum torque 235 Nm @ 2800 rpm, 9.8 s from 0 -100 kph.
My 505, model code A79, was first registered on August 16th 1989, making it one of the very last V6s. The car features the standard front grill (some of the last cars had a 3-bar grille)...

TRUE V6: No less equiped V6 GTI. ABS, variable PAS, four powered windows, cruise control (standard with the automatique), wireless central locking, two (!) cigar lighters, Lordosen support on both front seats, automatic interior temperature control etc. I also got an original A/C which I might fit some day.

TOURING: The late ZF 4HP22 gearbox seems to be more trouble-free than its often said and fits the car very well, let alone the higher torque when accelerating from standstill. The 505 V6 is a great car for relaxed high-speed cruising, which we tested during a 4000 km trip through France (detailed report pending).

INTERIOR: Luxury interior with full instrumentation, featuring even engine oil level and oil temperature. Unique leather steering wheel comes as standard on the late V6

http://www.garage24.net/PugMain.htm

Ikenna
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by icemann(m): 7:15am On Jul 31, 2014
Ikenna351: My aggressive Lions! cool

Ikenna

Nice cars. Yes you should be proud of what you own. It's the divident of your hustle. So how do you keep em clean with all the mad cab drivers in Abuja that are always scratching people's car?
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Ikenna351(m): 2:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
icemann:

Nice cars. Yes you should be proud of what you own. It's the divident of your hustle. So how do you keep em clean with all the mad cab drivers in Abuja that are always scratching people's car?

Thanks?

As for my Lions still looking clean after years of driving them. The secret is, "I craw in on city roads". What you find on Nigerian roads is madness, not driving anymore. An average Nigerian sees driving fast in streets and city roads as good driving. In my case, I craw. Not many people find it comfortable when i give them a lift or driven as passenger while I am behind the wheel. One asked me the other day, "Why buy V6 sticks when you are not ready to enjoy them?".

What people dont know is, the faster or quicker you drive in town or pull off at traffic light, the faster car behind you will go in pursuit. With that, either you hit the car in front if the driver brakes suddenly or the car behind hit you when you brake suddenly. Just like in traffic jam, people tends to move off quickly to cover space in front. The same way the car behind will try to do the same and occupy the space you have left. If his/her car brake is not sharp or good enough, you wont like the next sound you will hear coming from your car tail. Or you could do the same to the one in front.

People always curse me when they could no longer bear my slow driving. They will overtake me, curse me when they close to where i could see them, before they zoom off. Fortunately, because my windows are always up, with sunglasses on and some music keeping me entertained. All I would only see a car that pulled up and the drivers mouth is opening and closing. Lol! Some do give me "waka" (5 fingers) before they zoom off. Lol! Wetin I no dey see for Nigerian road! But the funny thing, these drivers that give me 5 fingers, their cars have lost original shape. Lol! Some would be so difficult to tell which car or brand they were. If not the badge behind, you could mistake them wrong brand or model. The cars have recieved severe panel beating several times that Body filler on the car would have added 50 kg on the car, if not more.

To summarize it, I craw when I am driving in the city/town. But once I hit highway or expressway, catch me if you can, unless i am not in the mood for aggressive driving. And thats what my stick V6 Lions came for.

Ikenna
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
icemann:

Yet people drive Bentleys, Land Rover products and more elegant vehicles in that same Abuja grin
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
Yawwwwnnnnnn.....

If only someone, anyone can provide a government agency rebuttal to the USA governments test that says that the 505 is the worst tested and most unsafe vehicle ever tested in the USA.

I'll wait for that info but in the meantime I guess we'll just have to do with self gloating, grand standing grin

Nice pictures though, I'll hunt eBay to see if I can get original copies for my library.
Re: Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? by icemann(m): 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
CityNG:

Yet people drive Bentleys, Land Rover products and more elegant vehicles in that same Abuja grin

Yet people own Gulf streams and Lear jets in Nigeria . The point is the spectrum from rich to poor would exist(it has been like that since money was created). There is also a spectrum that ranges from Humble to Pompous, that's why you don't see people like Bill Gates and Elon Musk on car forums indirectly telling people their 406 suck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? / Please Recommend A Good Toyota AC Technician / Local Government Permits For Private Buses In Lagos State, Legal Or Illegal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.