Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,308 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Are People Really Born Gay? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are People Really Born Gay? (3875 Views)

People We Sometime Get Married To Are People We Vowed Not To Be Caught Dating / Were We Really Born This Way? - My Homosexuality, My Nigeria / Are People Really Born Gay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 6:29am On Jul 20, 2014
Can someone really be "born gay"? Is there a "gay gene"? Does biology equal destiny?

Clearly, the controversy over this issue is huge in our culture and belief. While pro-gay activists
and their allies want us to believe people are "born gay" and that sexual orientation is an
unchangeable characteristic like race or eye color, a closer examination of the scientific
evidence reveals that the "nature vs. nurture" debate over homosexuality is far
from settled.

At best, the evidence for a genetic and/or biological basis to homosexual orientation is
inconclusive. In fact, since the early 1990s, numerous studies attempting to establish a
genetic cause for homosexuality have not proven to be valid or repeatable – two important requirements for study results to
become accepted as fact in the scientific community.
Because of this, the current thinking in the scientific community is that homosexuality is likely caused by a complex interaction of psychosocial, environmental and possible
biological factors. And the two leading national psychiatric and psychological professional groups agree that, so far, there are no conclusive studies supporting any
specific biological or genetic cause for homosexuality.
In sum, there is no scientific or DNA test to tell us if a person is homosexual, bisexual or even heterosexual for that matter. And since nobody is "born gay," it's clear that sexual orientation is, at its core, a matter of how one defines oneself – not a matter of
biology or genes.

But what about the studies I've heard about in the media that say people are born gay?
While the media's headlines and reporting of these studies have given the impression that science is closing in on a "gay gene," it's
important to note that each study suffers from significant problems and limitations.

And what the researchers themselves have said about their own work is important.
Specifically, you should know that their comments have never been fully reported in the press.
Some examples:
From the 1991 Hypothalamus (Brain) Study, Simon LeVay, who self-identifies as gay, said:
"It's important to stress what I didn't find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn't show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain.
And from the 1991 Twins Study, Richard Pillard – also a gay man – admits: "Although male and female homosexuality appear to
be at least somewhat heritable, environment must also be of considerable importance in their origins.
And from the 1993 X Chromosome Study, Dean Hamer – also a gay man – said: "… environmental factors play a role. There is not a single master gene that makes people gay…I don’t think we will ever be able to predict who will be gay.
And from the 2005 Fruit Fly Study, Barry Dickson, the lead researcher, admitted that the understanding of how innate behaviors are genetically determined is "rudimentary at best." He also admitted that the male-male
courtship behaviors they observed probably involved "environmental and social stimuli" and that the female-female courtship behavior was abnormal – missing some key
steps.

And what about the 2005 male and 2006 female pheromone studies from Sweden that gay activists claimed were more evidence of a biological basis to
homosexuality? (Pheromones are chemicals that can be smelled and are known to influence animal behavior. However, their role in humans is unknown.) Here, it is
significant that Ivanka Savic, the lead researcher, said that the 2005 study had nothing to do with proving homosexuality to be biological. And regarding the 2006
study, she said "it is very important to make clear that the study has no implications for
possible dynamics in sexual orientation.

More recently, Dr. Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, summed up the research on homosexuality saying that
"sexual orientation is genetically influenced but not hardwired by DNA, and that whatever genes are involved represent predispositions, not
predeterminations" (italics added).

As a comparison, Collins indicates that the potential genetic component for homosexuality is much less than the genetic contribution that has been found for common personality traits such as general cognitive ability, extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, openness, aggression and traditionalism.

Clearly, the case for a "gay gene" has notbeen made.
So, do all gay people believe that sexual orientation is "fixed" and unchangeable?
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Lordabas: 6:55am On Jul 20, 2014
No one is born gay. God does not create abominations. God creates in perfection. Homosexuality is a sexual PREFERENCE. Preference means that they prefer to have sex with members of the same sex, as opposed to members of the opposite sex. A preference is a choice. Plain and simple. They claim to be born that way because it frees them from having to take the responsibility for being what they are.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 7:16am On Jul 20, 2014
Lordabas: No one is born gay. God does not create abominations. God creates in perfection. Homosexuality is a sexual PREFERENCE. Preference means that they prefer to have sex with members of the same sex, as opposed to members of the opposite sex. A preference is a choice. Plain and simple. They claim to be born that way because it frees them from having to take the responsibility for being what they are.
Okay then... If I'm to agree with you, why would someone choose to be gay? I don't believe gays are born either but I keep wondering why someone in his/her right mind would choose to be gay. I don't just get it.

2 Likes

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 20, 2014
I've seen a guy crying to me and his inner circle that he's gay but doesn't want to be. He's neva had gay sex though but he feels attracted to men and that made him socially crooked. And it pains him! It really does. He was like seriously crying that he doesn't want to be gay but he's gay. So I would say people don't choose their sexuality.
And the nigga that said God doesn't create abominations... God created nothing, man. God doesn't exist.

2 Likes

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 8:05am On Jul 20, 2014
Cabinbiscuit: I've seen a guy crying to me and his inner circle that he's gay but doesn't want to be. He's neva had gay sex though but he feels attracted to men and that made him socially crooked. And it pains him! It really does. He was like seriously crying that he doesn't want to be gay but he's gay. So I would say people don't choose their sexuality.
And the nigga that said God doesn't create abominations... God created nothing, man. God doesn't exist.
I won't argue the Existence of God ish with you here... The post reveals the fact that being gay is a choice and it shows that their is no Biological proof whatsoever that gays are born that way, so dear, I think the boy that cried because he doesn't want to be gay should probably check himself very well.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 20, 2014
Do you know that lower animals can be gay too?
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Lordabas: 8:10am On Jul 20, 2014
Boland: Okay then... If I'm to agree with you, why would someone choose to be gay? I don't believe gays are born either but I keep wondering why someone in his/her right mind would choose to be gay. I don't just get it.
I don't think it is any different from any other mental illness. Usually mental illness starts with a thought process that is messed up and then the more it's thought about the stronger it becomes a part of you. Just like eating disorders, they can be stopped if the person really wants to stop. Gays are mentally ill. It can be helped only if the sick person wants the help.

1 Like

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 8:13am On Jul 20, 2014
Cabinbiscuit: Do you know that lower animals can be gay too?
How?
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 8:15am On Jul 20, 2014
Lordabas:
I don't think it is any different from any other mental illness. Usually mental illness starts with a thought process that is messed up and then the more it's thought about the stronger it becomes a part of you. Just like eating disorders, they can be stopped if the person really wants to stop. Gays are mentally ill. It can be helped only if the sick person wants the help.
Mental illness? Any gay in the house?!
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Lordabas: 8:20am On Jul 20, 2014
Cabinbiscuit:
Yes they do choose it, tho most are in denial about that. God calls it sin and says they will be lost if they dont repent and turn from it and run to Him. God says its an abomination. God would not call it sin if they had no choice in it. Like being born with a long nose, that cant be sin, as we have no control over stuff like that> SO yes it is a choice, and its a powerful lust that they dont want to get rid of , so they listen to the devil and hear they cant change, just what they want to hear. But, God says it is sin and they can change. With God all things are possible. There are gays all over the world that have found Jesus and allowed God to change them, so YES it can be changed Any refusal to give it up and allow God to change them is CHOICE, and its a costly one. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 20, 2014
Sigmund freud a psychologist of renown opined that people are often attracted to members of the same sex and dix is tru...your ability and will power not to act on it determines what u becum...SOW AN ACT,IT BECOMES A HABIT.SOW A HABIT,IT BECOMES A CHARACTER.SOW A CHARACTER,IT BECOMES YOUR DESTINY.....one choose to be gay,lesbian...dnt act on impulses...
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 8:28am On Jul 20, 2014
Daninya1: Sigmund freud a psychologist of renown opined that people are often attracted to members of the same sex and dix is tru...your ability and will power not to act on it determines what u becum...SOW AN ACT,IT BECOMES A HABIT.SOW A HABIT,IT BECOMES A CHARACTER.SOW A CHARACTER,IT BECOMES YOUR DESTINY.....one choose to be gay,lesbian...dnt act on impulses...
Nice.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Tallesty1(m): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2014
Boland: Okay then... If I'm to agree with you, why would someone choose to be gay? I don't believe gays are born either but I keep wondering why someone in his/her right mind would choose to be gay. I don't just get it.
I tell you. It doesn't make any sense to me, I believe their is a power behind it sha or maybe homos were created by satan on the seventh day while God was restinggringringrin
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 11:19am On Jul 20, 2014
Tallesty1: I tell you. It doesn't make any sense to me, I believe their is a power behind it sha or maybe homos were created by satan on the seventh day while God was restinggringringrin
Lol.... I don't think satan created anyone ooo! Buh the devil must av really worked hard to make some peeps believe they are gay. I think it's just an abnormal state of mind.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by losprince(m): 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
Boland: Okay then... If I'm to agree with you, why would someone choose to be gay? I don't believe gays are born either [b]but I keep wondering why someone in his/her right mind would choose to be gay.[\b] I don't just get it.
because he or she is not in his or her right senses undecided
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
I don't know if I was born gay (although I feel I was) but I know I didn't consciously choose to be gay, either.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by winner01(m): 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
u mean why would the devil and his followers choose to exist.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
Lordabas: No one is born gay. God does not create abominations. God creates in perfection. Homosexuality is a sexual PREFERENCE. Preference means that they prefer to have sex with members of the same sex, as opposed to members of the opposite sex. A preference is a choice. Plain and simple. They claim to be born that way because it frees them from having to take the responsibility for being what they are.
God doesn't create abominations, huh? What then happens to children born with birth defects? The co-joined twins? And don't tell me that it's exclusively the parent's fault.
I guess you are feeling so wise and superior sitting there and pointing fingers, huh? I have news for you. You are wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2014
Good question. But I can top that.:
Why would someone want to concern himself with another person's romantic and sexual attraction, especially when it doesn't concern them personally? Don't they have better things to worry about? And why can't they just accept that some things are just things? I don't get it! *smirk*

4 Likes

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
Lordabas:
Wow! Homosexuality is a mental illness? *bewildered*
you do that professional psychologists, people who've spent years studying psychology and even more years practising, agree that homosexuality isn't an illness?
The argument that "because the origin of A isn't known, A should be discredited (or something) is a fallacy that holds no water.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
Daninya1: Sigmund freud a psychologist of renown opined that people are often attracted to members of the same sex and dix is tru...your ability and will power not to act on it determines what u becum...SOW AN ACT,IT BECOMES A HABIT.SOW A HABIT,IT BECOMES A CHARACTER.SOW A CHARACTER,IT BECOMES YOUR DESTINY.....one choose to be gay,lesbian...dnt act on impulses...
Pal, I don't know what century you are from, but most of Freud's theories, undoubtedly including the one you used, has been discredited.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Illuminatus(m): 12:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
Boland: Lol.... I don't think satan created anyone ooo! Buh the devil must av really worked hard to make some peeps believe they are gay. I think it's just an abnormal state of mind.
So is being stupid, but I don't see people clamouring about that.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 20, 2014
Illuminatus:
Pal, I don't know what century you are from, but most of Freud's theories, undoubtedly including the one you used, has been discredited.
nop bro,he still remains d world's best psychologist...his theories are still very very relevant..his theories on sexuality,attraction,dream,personality are still on point..debunk his theory on sexual attraction..havnt u cn girls touch demselves in sensitive parts but day r nt lesbian?havnt u cn girls stare blank at demselves..pls tell me d lastest psychologist wux theory is on point...i wnt to learn more n pls b candid..
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
What do u call guys dat ynash dia babe tru backdoor??Anal sex?gay-Anal sex??..same tin-anal sex,sexual perversion...gays are psychotics arising frm low self esteem,crooked social life,thwarted dreams,perverted social life or failed sex life wit gurls.molested n monetary gains or favours...der is dix awful smell sorrounding gays..pay attention to dia vorcal chords n dia perception towards life...one can easily knw most of dem..

1 Like

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by franugo(m): 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
Wetin concerneth una There are guys who don't get aroused by gals, are some of u guys saying that they're abnormal So make dem no xperience orgasm bcus of naija suppossed piety, abi? P.s: i ain't gay
p.p.s: i abso-fucking-lutely adore lesbians. Think they are d greatest gift 2 perverts......like me.

3 Likes

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by lilmax(m): 1:52pm On Jul 20, 2014
Nobody is born gay,they choose to be,if they are born gay that means the parents are also gay,this gay thing is not natural
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by AtheistD(m): 1:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
Some are... some are not.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Fxwarrior: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2014

Its just like smokinng, drinking, womanizing, masturbation etc
They have associated demons attached to them.
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by bionicdude(m): 3:02pm On Jul 20, 2014
God never created someone so he can have his a.s.s under duress, hell no. If people were born gay then Gay guys would have come with a v.a.g.I.na also smiley
Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 3:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
Boland: Can someone really be "born gay"? Is there a "gay gene"? Does b?
nobody was born gay. Same way nobody was born a racist,or a christian,or an athesist. When you're born,your mind is a 'tabula raza' (a clean slate) . No knowledge is innate. We pick this things up as we grow. Those that say they were born gay are living in a state of denial to protect themselves from public backlash and discrimination

1 Like

Re: Are People Really Born Gay? by Boland(m): 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
Illuminatus:
Good question. But I can top that.:
Why would someone want to concern himself with another person's romantic and sexual attraction, especially when it doesn't concern them personally? Don't they have better things to worry about? And why can't they just accept that some things are just things? I don't get it! *smirk*
Hey bro, if you must know, it concerns us... I will like to point out somethings here.... Laws and rules make Humans different from animals (that can do whatever they pleases), so if you think another person's welfare/existence/sexuality doesn't concern you, you must be kidding. In some ways other people's choices and actions affect us, even if not us it might affect our offsprings.. I think gays need counseling. With that maybe some might change.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gosh..... / Guys Come Pick Urs,,,,,,ladies Come Make A Choice / Trending Picture Of Guy Who Got An Hard On Sharing A Hug With Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.