Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention (1485 Views)

Ekiti APC Lawmakers Insist On Fayose’s Impeachment / INTERVIEW: Buhari On Al Jazeera.... #OPINIONS / Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by EliteYouth: 8:10am On Jul 21, 2014
Members of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly have said
there is no going back on the effort to remove the state governor,
Alhaji Tanko Al-Makura.
The state legislators said they would not enter into any negotiation
over the impeachment notice already served on the governor.
They also said they would embark on a protest in Lafia, the state
capital, on Monday (today) against interference by traditional
rulers in the state.
Traditional rulers in Lafia, including the Emir of Lafia, Alhaji
Mustapa Agwai, had on Thursday promised to initiate a peace
move between the governor and the lawmakers.
But the Chairman of the House Committee on Information and
Security, Mr. Baba Ibaku, representing Udege/Loko Constituency,
in a telephone interview with The PUNCH on Sunday, said that the
impeachment procedure was still on course.

“We have started this. We cannot go back, no matter the
involvement of the chairman of traditional rulers,” Ibaku said.
He denied insinuations that the state legislators had fled from the
state capital.
“We are on recess, so we can choose to stay anywhere we feel like.

Even if we are not on recess, there is no law that says we must
stay in Lafia and the fact is that there is the need for us to go to
the chamber. We will go to the chamber and come back,” he said.
The lawmaker confirmed to The PUNCH that members of the
House would stage a protest on Monday against any interference
by the traditional rulers across the state.
Ibaku said any intervention by the traditional rulers would prevent
the lawmakers from carrying out their constitutional duty.
He said what happened in Adamawa State would happen in
Nasarawa if Al-Makura failed to respond to the impeachment
notice served on him within the time frame given.
Also reacting to the allegation against the lawmakers that they had
received N200m each as bribe to compromise their stand,
another member of the Nasarawa House, Mohammed Okpede
(Doma South) said, “Up to this moment that I am talking to you, I
have not seen the Emir of Lafia, Isah Mustapha Agwai, and none of
our members have seen the emir.” He said the allegation was
false.

Okpede said, “We are counting the days. We started about five
days ago and when the time reaches, we will respond
appropriately.

“ We have the number of days stipulated in the constitution and
as soon as the time reaches, we will just go back to the chamber
and direct the chief judge of the state to set up a committee of
inquiry for the governor to appear.
“We are on recess. Everybody has the liberty to go to anywhere he
feels like.”

Commenting on the proposed visit of the leaders of the All
Progressives Congress—Maj.- Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.),
Bola Tinubu, and ex-Vice- President Atiku Abubakar to Lafia on
Monday (today), Okpede said, “That is their problem. They are
troublemakers and if peradventure they come, we are not going to
join issue with them.”
He said the APC leaders would not hinder the lawmakers from
performing their constitutional duty.

Also, Babawi Chetubo (Karu/Gitata constituency), said that he was
not aware of any threat to burn down the lawmakers’ houses.

The state chairman of APC, Philip Shekwo, declined to comment,
saying the traditional rulers in the state had issued a communiqué
on the problem after their meeting
Asked what would be the next step by the party if the lawmakers
disregarded the appeal by the traditional rulers, the APC chairman
said the party would know what to do when matters reached that
stage.

An APC lawmaker, Bala Adam, said that members of the party in
the House were optimistic that the issue would be amicably
resolved.

Meanwhile, a group, Peoples Democratic Party National Alliance
Forum, has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes
Commission to as a matter of urgency freeze Nasarawa State
government’s account to avoid looting.
The Chairman of the forum, Jacob Chume, who stated this in a
statement in Lafia on Sunday, also alleged that the governor had
hired protesters from the APC states.

Meanwhile, the APC leaders, who had earlier been scheduled to
lead a protest march against the plan to impeach Al-Makura might
have shelved the plan.
Media reports had on Sunday indicated that APC leaders,
including the party’s national chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun,
would stage an anti-impeachment protest in Nasarawa on Monday
(today).

But one of our correspondents learnt in Abuja, on Sunday, that
the protest had been shelved due to the intervention of members
of the Nasarawa State Council of Traditional Rulers, who have
joined in the search for a political solution to the crisis in the
state.

A top member of APC’s National Working Committee, who pleaded
anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media,
said this in an interview with our correspondent.

The source confirmed that there was indeed a plan for the party’s
leaders to lead a protest march in Lafia on Monday (today) but
that such plan had been shelved.

He said, “I don’t think our leaders are going to Lafia for the march
tomorrow. This is because the traditional rulers have intervened
in the matter and they are trying to find a political solution to the
crisis. We are interested in a de-escalation and peaceful resolution
to the crisis.”

www.activatenigeria.com
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by bobjay40: 8:17am On Jul 21, 2014
Hmmm dis is interesting,anoda political battle..
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Dreal1247: 8:21am On Jul 21, 2014
The water is getting to the boiling point. Apc gradually loosing its hold on the states they were thinking that they have captured. Pdp gaining more grounds on daily basics. Lets keep watching.

4 Likes

Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Firefire(m): 8:27am On Jul 21, 2014
Chia, Anikura sad
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 21, 2014
Waiting for Sheriff to defect with more than half the state's HOA members... And then we can begin impeachment proceedings on the M'oron running the state!
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by PointB: 9:00am On Jul 21, 2014
In other words, ' Alea iacta est!' (The die is cast!)
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Omexonomy: 9:05am On Jul 21, 2014
The western countries should learn how to play clean politics from nigeria.-seun
Decimating the stronghold of The opposition since 1960 - mynd44
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by bokoslayer: 9:23am On Jul 21, 2014
INNOisBACK: Waiting for Sheriff to defect with more than half the state's HOA members... And then we can begin impeachment proceedings on the M'oron running the state!

That is the first step to take in bringing their girls back. It would be good news if Gov. Shettima is impeached.
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by datbay(m): 9:25am On Jul 21, 2014
We are watching.
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by activatenigeria: 12:14pm On Jul 21, 2014
If Amodu Sheriff is able to influence the Borno state HOA to impeach Shettima who would you blame ?
(a)The President
(b)the gross irregularities of the Governor or
(c)APC for their internal democracy that led to the defection of Amodu Sheriff's defection?

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Kassidy4luv(m): 12:21pm On Jul 21, 2014
....... Impeachment season........

Impeach dem all,
Who is Clueless?
Who is a trainee president?
Who is weak?

APC is crying foul play, chai
Wen 5 PDP governors, senators and House of reps members left for APC
They smiled, thinking our president is sleeping.

More impeachment on the way, watch out.

Goodluck Nigeria Ebele Jonathan till 2019.
PDP till Buhari becomes a. Roman catholic POPE

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 21, 2014
Also reacting to the allegation against the
lawmakers that they had
received N200m each as bribe to compromise
their stand...
even though the OP intentionally omitted the concluding part of this statement and his source did not tally with the story, I find this outrageous amount ridiculous and an embarassment to the beauty of democracy in Nigeria.

angry
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: even though the OP intentionally omitted the concluding part of this statement and his source did not tally with the story, I find this outrageous amount ridiculous and an embarassment to the beauty of democracy in Nigeria.

angry
Madam, U still dey around? Hmmnnnn... Tinubu no dey recharge data for una again? Not his fault if he has eventually decided to withdraw his financial obligations to the e-rats. U lot haven't been able to deliver on Ur mandate. Always beaten blue and black by the all-conquering Fresh Air Team....

By the way, GEJ till Tinubu joins PDP
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
ofenmanucom:
[s] Madam, U still dey around? Hmmnnnn... Tinubu no dey recharge data for una again? Not his fault if he has eventually decided to withdraw his financial obligations to the e-rats. U lot haven't been able to deliver on Ur mandate. Always beaten blue and black by the all-conquering Fresh Air Team....

By the way, GEJ till Tinubu joins PDP [/s]
did you really have to quote me? undecided
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: did you really have to quote me? undecided
Why won't I quote U? Are U afraid of being quoted? Is there any laws prohibiting me from quoting U?

Let me repeat myself since U have issues with comprehension... Are U still on Nairaland? U have been unusually quiet and absent from major threads.
Have U been fired for incompetence or is Bourdillon Ikoyi not fulfulling its financial obligations to U?
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
ofenmanucom:
Why won't I quote U? Are U afraid of being quoted? Is there any laws prohibiting me from quoting U?

Let me repeat myself since U have issues with comprehension... Are U still on Nairaland? U have been unusually quiet and absent from major threads.
Have U been fired for incompetence or is Bourdillon Ikoyi not fulfulling its financial obligations to U?
and so what?

Oh well I am back now! So what did I miss and could you gist me what happened when I was absent on nairaland? wink cheesy
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by 175(m): 2:42pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: did you really have to quote me? undecided

Berem, I say shut d hell up and answer the gadem question!

Ofemanucom decapitating the APC e-rats since NL blackout.
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Dmano: 2:47pm On Jul 21, 2014
This is interesting,apc are now running helter scaleter,what a way 2go murphy jember
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: even though the OP intentionally omitted the concluding part of this statement and his source did not tally with the story, I find this outrageous amount ridiculous and an embarassment to the beauty of democracy in Nigeria.

angry

See how you upheld an unsubstantiated claim of graft.

Being a supporter of APC, is it for passion or fantasy cos one Does not elect to be superficially daft. Berem, come home now that the ovation is loudest.
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 21, 2014
SeaGold:

See how you upheld an unsubstantiated claim of graft.

Being a supporter of APC, is it for passion or fantasy cos one Does not elect to be superficially daft. Berem, come home now that the ovation is loudest.
just like the missing $20billion right? undecided
Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by PhockPhockMan: 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2014

angry
Did you see the word "ALLEGED" in the statement?

Ibia,kwala ozo, berem.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Insist On Al-makura’s Exit, Reject Emirs’ Intervention by PhockPhockMan: 4:29pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: just like the missing $20billion right? undecided
You've never told anyone that your father's $20 billion is missing. Because it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that such money is only missing in APC'S evil imagination.

https://www.nairaland.com/1808039/49.8bn-oil-funds-not-missing#24602472

(1) (Reply)

Inec Chairman, Igp, Apc Disagree Over Voting Modality / African King, The Richest Person In All History. / APC In Disarray As Key Leaders Leave In Droves-premiumtimes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.