Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen (45590 Views)

Yoruba Man Killing Afang Soup In The Kitchen; All Thanks To Calabar Babes. / That Moment When Your Gas Finishes Late Night While Cooking Beans....(photos) / Safety Rules In The Kitchen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by nikkyyoyo(f): 12:57pm On Aug 04, 2014
laudate:

Bros, one of the posters stated that he cannot keep his cylinder outside as he is not allowed to make a hole in the wall for the pipe. So what is the best alternative?
kerosine stove nkn? Mitchew...
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by Hearme(m): 2:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
psychologist: Witches and wizards don full Nl
Them no dey slip angry

That's the height of joblessness in Nigeria. Posting on social media by 2am-3am. I think its strange or can we say its an obsession or lack of sleep coupled with depression ? It reminds me of the days of free night calls, I guess the population of people who do free night calls has drastically reduced due to chatting on social media. OR COULD IT BE THAT WE NOW HAVE FREE MEGA BITES AT NIGHT. MAY BE IT IS THE MTN NIGHT PLAN? LOL.
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by alkene007: 9:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
[i][/i] I'd simple thing is therew don't put ur gas cylinder near your stove or cooker when cookin, gas pressure changes and misbehaves with pressure.....
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by eigmaticme: 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2014
Hearme:

That's the height of joblessness in Nigeria. Posting on social media by 2am-3am. I think its strange or can we say its an obsession or lack of sleep coupled with depression ? It reminds me of the days of free night calls, I guess the population of people who do free night calls has drastically reduced due to chatting on social media. OR COULD IT BE THAT WE NOW HAVE FREE MEGA BITES AT NIGHT. MAY BE IT IS THE MTN NIGHT PLAN? LOL.

Posting at 2am-3am like u said might be lack of sleep and/or depression.
You are correct but do not make light of it if you have not been there. You don't want to go down that road. The combination of lack of sleep and depression is a bitch. I don't wish it on my WORST ENEMY
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by laudate: 3:17am On Aug 05, 2014
tomiobj:

A gas cylinder is pressurised. U can put it right next to ur cooker. Grew up with this nd been doin it personally for 14 years. Derez nothing bad. I didn't know that people actually put the cylinder outside. The danger of keeping a gas cylinder near the cooker is the same as storing fuel in a car

Kai! shocked Don't put your gas cylinder right next to your cooker. It is hazardous! It could result in a fire, if the heat from the cooker causes pressure to build up within the cylinder. It is just the mercy of God, that has prevented any accidents in your house! shocked

Stop it o! Ehen ... I don talk my own. Better safe than sorry.... undecided
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by laudate: 3:21am On Aug 05, 2014
www.worldlpgas.com/about-lp-gas/safety/good-safety-practices/lpgas-safety:

Inherent Hazards/Potential Risks

The principal potential hazard with LP Gas is fire and explosion. This derives from its inherent quality of high flammability and in extreme cases may combine with another condition, i.e. high pressure, and lead to the BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion) phenomenon. shocked

This is a type of explosion that can occur when a vessel containing a pressurised liquid is ruptured due to high temperature and pressure. Such explosions can be extremely hazardous. There are also hazards incidental to the various modes of transport for distribution and use.

An additional potential hazard may arise at the point of use if ventilation is inadequate, and the products of combustion are not dispersed into the atmosphere. Carbon monoxide may be produced and reach dangerous levels. LP Gas 'sniffing' i.e. the intentional inhalation of LP Gas vapour seeking a narcotic effect, can result in injury or in some cases, death. cry

The risk associated with such hazards (with the exception of sniffing) can be controlled using available, proven technology, i.e. the safety equipment and procedures normally used by the LP Gas industry.

Liquid LP Gas will cause cold burns if it comes into contact with the skin. Propane, with its low boiling point is more hazardous in this respect than Butane which, in cold conditions, is slower to vaporise and disperse. The eyes and body must be protected when handling all liquefied products. cry

LP Gas vapour, being heavier than air, may, in the event of a leak, accumulate in confined spaces and low lying areas. The means of ventilation and meteorological conditions will influence the movement and dispersion of the LP Gas vapour. Any uncontrolled release of LP Gas is inherently hazardous. shocked

A liquid LP Gas leak is considered more hazardous in that it will expand to vapour form with volume in excess of 200 times that of the original liquid volume leak. Being heavier than air, vapour will tend to lie, or drift, close to the ground with a risk that it will find a source of ignition while it remains within its flammable limits.

Liquid LP Gas has a high co-efficient of volumetric expansion and therefore cylinders and tanks should never be completely filled. They should be filled with ullage (the unfilled space in a container of liquid) to allow for liquid expansion caused by an increase in temperature. The degree of ullage necessary will depend on the operating conditions, especially the maximum expected operating temperature. sad

This potential risk is further controlled by a combination of safety devices and procedures and especially by control during product transfer operations. This potential risk explains why cylinders and tanks should only be filled under the supervision of competent persons and why illegal filling is dangerous because of the risk of overfilling. undecided

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.worldlpgas.com/about-lp-gas/safety/good-safety-practices/lpgas-safety
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by tomiobj(m): 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
laudate:

Kai! shocked Don't put your gas cylinder right next to your cooker. It is hazardous! It could result in a fire, if the heat from the cooker causes pressure to build up within the cylinder. It is just the mercy of God, that has prevented any accidents in your house! shocked

Stop it o! Ehen ... I don talk my own. Better safe than sorry.... undecided

I will stop it. But how does the heat get to thecylinder. By the lawws of physics

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by XKZ(m): 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
Hearme:

What about posting by 2pm on a Monday when one should be busy at work (as you did) does that also indicate joblessness?

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by harabey(m): 12:13pm On Mar 04, 2015
Mine is outside since I cannot bore a hole for the gas hose. I bought a long hose almost 10yards and cut the windows net and connected it outside.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by Missymassy: 5:44am On May 23, 2016
For those whonplace gas cylinders outside, How do you protect it from the heat of the sun and from rain as well? Is it safe to cover it up while it is outside and if yes, with what kind of materials please?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by TundeCole(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
Thanks guys for you comments and suggestions.I actually posted this because of my wife who before now never really supported the idea of a gas cooker in the first place, let alone having the cylinder in the same terrain, but is presently being tempted into considering such options due to her friends assurances.

I'll make sure she reads all the comments here.
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by suzzyrims: 9:20pm On Sep 03, 2019
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by BecaciaBarbie(f): 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2019
laudate:
Hi, put the cylinder far away from your cooker when it is being used, and please ensure that your kitchen is well ventilated always (i.e. windows are always open). You can also install a small gas detector in your kitchen which can detect gas leaks, and give off an alarm if gas escapes from the cylinder or cooker. undecided

Always ensure your valves are properly fitted and the pipe/hose does not leak. Get a technician to service your burner like once a quarter to ensure that all the soot and grime is removed from the burner so that nothing disturbs the free flow of air.

Finally, get a good fire extinguisher in your kitchen with a clear indicator gauge showing the level of foam or extinguisher material in the cylinder, and learn how to use it in case of an emergency! wink
Is it okay if the hoax connecting the gas to the cooker is curved behind the cooker to the gas? Because I’m worried the flames from the cooker might get the hoax hot?
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by Folich: 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2019
A gas bottle is in any case not safe. But, if there is no other way, then you have to cook on a gas cylinder. The main thing is to check every time whether you closed it or not.
Re: Is It Safe To Place Your Gas Cylynder In The Kitchen by Cleo18: 10:51am On Jan 02, 2020
iswallker:

12.5kg cylinders and amaller go inside while anything bigger is placed outside.

Cylinders don't jus explode. Turn off while not in use. Tighten tthe hose to prevent leakage. Ull be safe.

Please it's better it be taken outside. Accidents don't just occur, they occur when one least expects it. To be fore warned is to be fore harmed.
Take your gas cylinder outside where there is enough air. It is dangerous placing it anywhere in the kitchen housing your gas cooker. No one is above mistake. No matter the years you've been using it there, please I still advise you take it outside for security reasons.

Switching on the light when the gas is unknowingly leaking can cause a spark which can trigger an explosion and burn your property. If you fear nothing, please fear gas explosion.

It is dangerous leaving your gas cylinder in the kitchen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Foods You Shouldn’t Keep In Your Freezer / Found This Giant Rat Drowned Inside The Drum This Morning / Would You Eat These Nigerian Independence Day Meals? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.