Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York (1512 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / What Causes Tension Between Wives And Mother-in-laws? / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by Omooba77: 11:51am On Jul 22, 2014
Charles Okonkwo Jr., a Long Island, New York, teenager with a history of psychiatric problems killed his 15-year old brother and brutally beat his mother — a respected physician — into a coma over the weekend, police say.
Okonkwo, 18, has been charged with assault on his mother, Chinwe Okonkwo, 52, on Saturday in Dix Hill, New York, but does not yet face charges on the death of Bradley Okonkwo.
Mrs Okonkwo, a Brooklyn doctor, has received the Congressional Leadership Award and runs Hope Outreach Foundation, a nonprofit organization that promote public health in Brooklyn and across the world.
Charles Okonkwo Sr., Mrs Okonkwo’s husband, returned home from a hospital stay on Saturday night and found his son Bradley dead in his bedroom. His wife was laying unconscious in a pool of blood next to her car in the garage, Newsday reports.
Mrs Okonkwo was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where she remains in critical condition. She suffered facial fractures and doctors have had to relieve swelling on her brain.
Medical examiners could not immediately determine Bradley Okonkwo’s cause of death and are doing more tests to try to determine how he died.
Charles Okonkwo Jr. was arrested Saturday night shortly after the attack was discovered. He had fled the family home in his parents’ BMW X5 SUV, but was spotted by police just a short distance away from the crime scene.
He admitted to ‘hurting’ his mother and little brother, authorities say. In court on Sunday, a defense said that Charles Okonkwo Jr. had a history of mental illness, but didn’t elaborate on what sorts of problems he has.
Authorities also offered no motive for the alleged attack. Members of Long Island’s Nigerian immigrant community stopped by the Okonkwo house on Sunday to pay their respects to the family.
A family friend Lawrence Monwe told Newsday that: “This is very tragic. No one saw it coming. This was the perfect family you wouldn’t expect it to happen to.”
http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/07/22/nigerian-teen-arrested-after-killing-brother-brutalising-mother-in-new-york/

Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 12:07pm On Jul 22, 2014
He is not Nigerian but American of Nigerian parentage
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 12:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1: He is not Nigerian but American of Nigerian parentage

he's nigerian!
if he had won a nobel prize now, you would be laying claims to his nigerianity.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 12:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

he's nigerian!

Dude!

At best he is Nigerian-American

Even if he is a Nobel Prizer the best he should be is .. Nigerian -born xxxxx
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by baby124: 12:18pm On Jul 22, 2014
What a pity. Sometimes it is inevitable these things. As you can't force an adult to take his drugs or even afford to put him in private care. God have mercy
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 12:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1:
Dude!
At best he is Nigerian-American

Even if he is a Nobel Prizer the best he should be is .. Nigerian -born xxxxx

he's a proper nigerian!
naija-american ko, naija-new york ni. look at his face & his nose and tell me you don't see this kinda face everyday in oyingbo market.

if he has had cases of mental illness, why isn't he in a hospital? he won't get sent to prison. he would be in a mental hospital for some time & then get released again. the system failed the deceased & mrs okonkwo!
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by Omexonomy: 12:25pm On Jul 22, 2014
I will always suggest 95% of nigerians mostly in foreign land should go for pyshciatric evaluation esp the yibbos and Yorubas. They are given us bad name.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 12:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

he's a proper nigerian!
naija-american ko, naija-new york ni. look at his face & his nose and tell me you don't see this kinda face everyday in oyingbo market.

if he has had cases of mental illness, why isn't he in a hospital? he won't get sent to prison. he would be in a mental hospital for some time & then get released again. the system failed the deceased & mrs okonkwo!

Dude.. this guy looks american..hes even born there.. na americana tongue

oyingbo wetin... this guy is a pure botta pikin men... e no resemble

Do you believe he has mental illness... why jump to conclusion... the lawyer is looking for a copout

In court on Sunday, a defense said that Charles Okonkwo Jr. had a history of mental illness, but didn’t elaborate on what sorts of problems he has
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by baby124: 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:
he's a proper nigerian!
I don't think Americans hospitalize their mentally ill, except he's a certified danger to society or has committed a deadly crime. They believe mental illness can be managed with the right drugs. This is true, but a lot of really ill patients are in denial or will not take their drugs outside of a psychiatric hospital. And then one day, they just finally lose it.

The only way he can be hospitalized without committing a crime is if his family pays for it. Which is very expensive
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
baby124:
I don't think Americans hospitalize their mentally ill, except he's a certified danger to society or has committed a deadly crime. They believe mental illness can be managed with the right drugs. This is true, but a lot of really ill patients are in denial or will not take their drugs. And then one day, they just finally lose it

this can't be true....
americans hospitalise their mentally-ill - he only needs to show violent tendencies or if his thoughts or actions are suicidal. what kinda country would america be if they don't care for their sick ones?

pickabeau1:
Dude.. this guy looks american..hes even born there.. na americana tongue
oyingbo wetin... this guy is a pure botta pikin men... e no resemble
Do you believe he has mental illness... why jump to conclusion... the lawyer is looking for a copout

he's nigerian!
your denial won't change his status quo. his name gave him away. no AA or white american bears the name okonkwo. this man is from nigeria(thoroughbred). where he was born means shyte in the grand scheme of things.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by edwife(f): 12:39pm On Jul 22, 2014
Why do they always justify their evils with "excuses"?(mental illness)my foot! undecided angry

He killed his mum and probably killed his brother when he tried to defend their mum.

How sad!

Way to go nigerians
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 12:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
edwife: Why do they always justify their evils with "excuses"?(mental illness)my foot! undecided angry

He killed his mum and probably killed his brother when he tried to defend their mum.

How sad!
Way to go nigerians

how do you know it's an excuse. do you believe a mentally-ill patient would reason rationally? if he's insane, he cannot be tried in court. blame the system, not the patient.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 12:43pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:
he's nigerian!
your denial won't change his status quo. his name gave him away. no AA or white american bears the name okonkwo. this man is from nigeria(thoroughbred). where he was born means shyte in the grand scheme of things.

It doesnt dude and you know
Its not a denial.. its the plain fact.. hes american

How do you know he has mental illness.. the lawyer is claiming!

edwife: Why do they always justify their evils with "excuses"?(mental illness)my foot! undecided angry

How sad!

Way to go americans

corrected
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by armyofone(m): 12:45pm On Jul 22, 2014
Very well said
kiss grin
coogar:
he's nigerian!

Do you watch Snap?
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2014
armyofone: Very well said
kiss grin

Do you watch Snap?

who doesn't watch it?
bi-polar women taking their frustrations out on their spouses by killing them & blaming it on their hormones. grin

pickabeau1:
It doesnt dude and you know
Its not a denial.. its the plain fact.. hes american
How do you know he has mental illness.. the lawyer is claiming!
corrected

because a lawyer said so.
he wouldn't have made such a careless statement to the media if he doesn't have a substantial evidence to back the claim.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by edwife(f): 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

how do you know it's an excuse. do you believe a mentally-ill patient would reason rationally? if he's insane, he cannot be tried in court. blame the system, not the patient.

You know why i said so because that has always been the case with those americans,you might be right concerning the system,but then again why will a mentally- ill person be home rather than incarcerated somewhere in a hospital?

If they stop defending those killers patients maybe they will be kept away from the public.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

he wouldn't have made such a careless statement to the media if he doesn't have a substantial evidence to back the claim.

You re a clown.. dude.. because a lawyer said so?

Lawyers can say anything to win a case
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 12:56pm On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1:
You re a clown.. dude.. because a lawyer said so?

Lawyers can say anything to win a case

that's the point!
it's not about what really happened but what can be proven. if he can back his claims that the culprit had mental issues in the past, then there's no case to be answered.

edwife:
You know why i said so because that has always been the case with those americans,you might be right concerning the system, but then again why will a mentally- ill person be home rather than incarcerated somewhere in a hospital?
If they stop defending those killers patients maybe they will be kept away from the public.

that's america for you - the land of the free.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by armyofone(m): 12:58pm On Jul 22, 2014
Yeah cheesy, he might have been doing well but something made him snapped (for those asking why he was home).
Such a good looking nigerian guy gone wasted.
coogar:
who doesn't watch it?
bi-polar women taking their frustrations out on their spouses by killing them & blaming it on their hormones. grin
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by cococandy(f): 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2014
Too bad.
RIP to the deceased.
What a horrible way to go
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 1:01pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

that's the point!
it's not about what really happened but what can be proven. if he can back his claims that the culprit had mental issues in the past, then there's no case to be answered.

that's america for you - the land of the free.

ok.. noted... lets see how the case pans out

edwife

a mentally person can buy a gun legally as background checks are not mandatory per NRA lobbying
So be careful when u in that land.. too many mad people walking in suits...
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by edwife(f): 1:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1:

corrected

grin grin grin

Why are you insisting that he is not a nigerian? He was just born there,except from that he is nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by edwife(f): 1:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
pickabeau1:

ok.. noted... lets see how the case pans out

edwife

a mentally person can buy a gun legally as background checks are not mandatory per NRA lobbying
So be careful when u in that land.. too many mad people walking in suits...

I tell you,that country is something else!

You never know who your neighbour is,even your own child is not exempted. smiley

He might turn dracula overnight.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 1:06pm On Jul 22, 2014
edwife:

grin grin grin

Why are you insisting that he is not a nigerian? He was just born there,except from that he is nigerian.

He was birthed by Nigerians who have settled in that country
after his parents die.. he has no link

Nigeria is one country in the sahara desert where they dont wear cloths.thats all he knows

edwife:
You never know who your neighbour is,even your own child is not exempted. smiley

Yep..it is.. As they always say In America.Mad man dey wear suit
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by Omooba77: 1:10pm On Jul 22, 2014
edwife:

He might turn dracula overnight.
A woman nearly shot me around a mall around 8:00pm;thinking I wanted to rob her. I just pass by her car.Many insane fellow over there.......
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by NickiRoman: 1:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
Too bad
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by edwife(f): 1:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
Omooba77:
A woman nearly shot me around a mall around 8:00pm;thinking I wanted to rob her. I just pass by her car.Many insane fellow over there.......

You are lucky,you need to do thanksgiving ceremony each month in America.

We for see your name in NL.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by Omooba77: 1:50pm On Jul 22, 2014
edwife:

You are lucky,you need to do thanksgiving ceremony each month in America.

We for see your name in NL.
Lol....Fear dey that land no be small.........I dey Naija now sah....
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by coogar: 2:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
edwife:

grin grin grin

boy is a throughbred nigerian. he probably took akpu & oha soup on the day of the incident.
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by edwife(f): 3:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

boy is a throughbred nigerian. he probably took akpu & oha soup on the day of the incident.

Hahaha grin with enough ogiri and stock fish. grin see his fresh cheeks.

Coogar you funny

[img]http://1.bp..com/-zkNTg2zqQL4/U83jT8FEwZI/AAAAAAAAGGg/TUQb6z-8JQU/s1600/nigerian+killed+brother+new+york.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by pickabeau1: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
coogar:

grin grin grin grin.. nice one edwife

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teen Arrested After Killing Brother, Brutalising Mother In New York by Omooba77: 5:23pm On Jul 22, 2014
The damage is done,this boy needs to be paroled,so that the parents will not become childless,very pathetic...God comfort this family..

(1) (2) (Reply)

He Says He Can Never Love Me The Way He Loves His Mum. Help! / Everyone Blames Me / Married Men, Come And See This!! Photo!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.