Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,496 members, 7,819,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

ABCs Of Cake Making - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / ABCs Of Cake Making (47936 Views)

Food Presentation Basics: ABCs Of Posting Food Preparation Pictures On Nairaland / Cake Making N Decoration In Abuja / Any Bakery In Abuja Capable Of Cake Home Delivery If Ordered From Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 3:04pm On Aug 08, 2014
bosunjohns: Hi tpia1, I wanna know a very good dough mixer I can use for commercial cake making. I need something very rugged, durable and reliable. And how much does it cost? Where can I purchase it? Thanks.

Not sure what types of dough mixers are used in nigeria, but generally, going by brand names often helps when unsure of a product. You might have to check with professional cake makers though.

Imo, brand names like kenmore, etc which have been in the business for long, might be ok, but at the same time one should not assume newer, unknown brands wouldn't also be good. However, its just better to check with someone who knows, rather than by trial and error although never say never.

Cost and purchase: probably online or at any general merchandise store.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 3:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
FameG:

Nah !not funny jor. Back to the topic. Would like to know more about fundant icing.
Secondly has anyone tried baking with wheat flour instead of the common flour? Would like to know your thought. Tanks.

Mamachops posted how to make fondant icing.

Haven't tried baking with wheat flour, do you mean baking a cake with it, or like bread, cookies, etc?
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 3:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
ebonylady4real:

Yep. National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)

Thanks, thought they did drugs only.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by AdeniyiA(m): 3:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
tpia1:

ABC is known as the building blocks of language. The entire alphabet in itself is just 26 letters which don't mean anything unless they are used to form words. So XYZ is not an ending, but rather a beginning.
tpa1 would you rather be my teacher?
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by FameG(f): 4:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
tpia1:

Mamachops posted how to make fondant icing.

Haven't tried baking with wheat flour, do you mean baking a cake with it, or like bread, cookies, etc?

Tanks. Got mamachops recipe. Yes i mean baking a cake with wheat flour.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by monalicious(f): 10:25am On Aug 09, 2014
ChiFirstLady: cos I don't know d quantity of flour u used
u don't know the quantity of flour used, but u know the butter isn't enough.how cool. I wrote out my recipe long before you made this comment.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by breadplanets(f): 3:10pm On Aug 09, 2014
monalicious:
u don't know the quantity of flour used, but u know the butter isn't enough.how cool. I wrote out my recipe long before you made this comment.
you asked why your cake has crumbs or whatever she answered 'not enough butter' i wonder why you have a problem with that.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 1:56am On Aug 16, 2014
Nake cakes, also known as rustic or naked cakes:

[img]http://images.lover.ly/25_1bcf63d2eaa7ec1d7.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 4:44am On Aug 16, 2014
You have to choose your flavors and fillings carefully.

Unlike with a traditional frosted cake, the flavors and fillings that you choose are going to determine what your cake looks like. If you’re looking for a style that’s cohesive, you’ll want to stick to flavors in a similar color profile which is something you don’t have to think about with a buttercream or fondant cake. Molly suggests, “It’s up to your personal preference, but naturally colored cakes look the best, like vanilla, carrot cake or hummingbird (a cake spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon) instead of food coloring dyed cakes like red velvet.” As far as fillings go Christina Tosi baker at Momofuku Milk Bar says, “Make sure all of your frostings and fillings make sense when eaten as a whole. Every filling should be a sliceable consistency when cold or room temperature. A layer of fondant hides a runny curd or jam or jelly layer, but there’s no hiding fillings or underset layers with a naked cake!”

[img]http://xotheknot.files./2014/02/clycreation_momofoku.jpg?w=652[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 4:46am On Aug 16, 2014
If you’re thinking something simple, you can totally DIY!

If you want a simple naked cake for your bridal shower or engagement party then making it yourself is totally doable (really!). “With frosted and fondant cakes there are so many things that could go wrong and you need to have a lot of skill to pull it off,” says Alana, but that’s not the case when it comes to a naked cake, “It’s really hard to go wrong, as long as you bake your cake evenly and have good buttercream.” Momofuku hosts classes at their shops in NYC and Toronto or you can buy their cookbook and read up on how to make your own!
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 4:47am On Aug 16, 2014
Naked cakes shouldn’t be stacked too far ahead of time.

Make sure to ask your cake baker how far in advance they’re going to stack your naked cake. Here’s why, “Naked cakes are exposed instead of being covered so they’re going to dry out faster,” Molly says. “24-hours before it’s going to be served is the max [time] that you’d want for a naked cake to be stacked.”
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 4:48am On Aug 16, 2014
Smooth lines make the cake.

Clean smooth edges are what sets a great naked cake apart from the rest. “It doesn’t matter what cake flavor you bake, the outside edge is going to be darker than the rest of the layer. Trimming off the edge is going to bring out the color of the cake as well as make it look cleaner,”
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by wonyi: 11:58am On Sep 02, 2014
@ tpia thanks for this thread.I made my first cake yesterday.it came our perfect except that it got burnt.though not too bad.

Pls house what can I add to make my cake brown as in cofee brown.

All suggestions are important
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by wonyi: 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2014
Yeah like d unclad cake above.how do I get such wonderful design
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by mamachops(f): 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2014
ask for browning in any cake shop to give u the rich chocolate brown color....but that doesn't make it chocolate cake ooo
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by wonyi: 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2014
@ mamachops thanks.I like brown cakes.pls what do u mean by chocolate cake? Could u pls use the unclad cake as an illustration ? Thanks again
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by monalicious(f): 9:49am On Sep 20, 2014
breadplanets: you asked why your cake has crumbs or whatever she answered 'not enough butter' i wonder why you have a problem with that.
I don't have a problem with that.I asked the question, other people had given me constructive suggestions and criticisms.its obvious you both didn't go through it all.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by breadplanets(f): 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
monalicious:
I don't have a problem with that.I asked the question, other people had given me constructive suggestions and criticisms.its obvious you both didn't go through it all.
Stale gist. Next pls....

1 Like

Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by bece: 3:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
Cake decorating tools @affordable prices sunscribe to channel C004C5D2E on bbm for purchase
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 5:15pm On Oct 06, 2014
black cake:

Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 5:15pm On Oct 06, 2014
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by cynhamscakes(f): 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2014
tpia1:
black cake:

Tpia the pic is not showing.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by cynhamscakes(f): 8:07pm On Oct 06, 2014
Sorry seen.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 1:47am On Oct 07, 2014
^ok.
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia1: 1:49am On Oct 07, 2014
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia: 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia: 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia: 7:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia: 7:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: ABCs Of Cake Making by tpia: 7:54pm On Nov 03, 2014
rhinestone cake tier:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

11k Well Spent.. / Recipes For The Fruitful Home / See The Huge Monitor Lizard My Friends Trap Caught At Their Backyard.�

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.