Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,706 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:38 AM

The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates (25662 Views)

Nigerian Graduates And Their Terrible CV Presentation! (CV attached) / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by armadeo(m): 2:36pm On Jul 23, 2014
elitehowcom: See World’s 10 Most Powerful Celebrities of 2014 Here: http://www..com/index.php/41-blog/blog-articles/569-world-s-10-most-powerful-celebrities-in-2014

Some people have no morals. Eg you who posted this.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
And yet some PDP praise-singers are praising the govt. in one other thread saying that only one-third of Nigerians are poor. The fact is that Nigeria needs cleansing in all aspect of life. Could you imagine, a dude in my neighbourhood who couldn't complete his diploma programme just bought a laptop and went into full-time yahoo business. In less than 2 years this guy has build a house and bought a car. In Nigeria today, people who want to make it the right way hardly make it.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by armadeo(m): 2:41pm On Jul 23, 2014
dotcomnamename:

[size=15pt]What about if you have Masters from Canada as a Nigerian? Does it mean you cant still get a job with a whole Canadian Masters? [/size]

Your job will go to an ssce holder ( 2 sittings). You will still tell him good morning sir.

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by efeambrose: 2:42pm On Jul 23, 2014
HooxJnr: Wow! I fell in love with this write up. All the @op said is the truth.

sure
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Ghost01(m): 2:42pm On Jul 23, 2014
Maybe someday we'll take to the streets singing "LIBERATION NOW!"
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by slap1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
At least once or twice a week, I regret the time I spent(wasted?) in the university. My mates now have cars and houses and I have only my modest intelligence and a few other things which are not really valuable in this clime.
Now I have an offer to write aptitude test for a prospective law student for 20k. I turned it down. The offer is still on the table, together with an assurance of safety from being caught... and I'm gravitating towards accepting. Wetin man go do?
The scariest part of this quagmire is that there is NO HOPE!
However, I will control myself and make use of my talent.

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by twosquare(m): 2:46pm On Jul 23, 2014
dotcomnamename:

[size=15pt]What about if you have Masters from Canada as a Nigerian? Does it mean you cant still get a job with a whole Canadian Masters? [/size]
a friend of mine with UK masters still dey waka about with im leg,no job yet....help doesn't come frm d north,east,west or south...na God dey uplift person my bro.

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
cry for Nigeria... Nigerians have been hoping Nigeria gets better for decades but things keep getting worse.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Archmage(m): 2:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
i think the motto on our coat of arms should be. "favoritism and nepotism clientelism and retrogression,". our inability to progress as a nation is fundamentally tied to the fact that merit is rarely used. what hurts d most is that perpetrators and beneficiaries see nothing wrong in it.

5 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Tstone1(m): 2:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
Inasmuch that our present society is still not void of decadence @all levels, I can only pray for God's intervention and also ask Him to connect me!
I knew what it means to have an insider in getting un advertised job in a company. And very funny enough the job isn't something you can be so boastful of as a graduate!!!
Whereas peeps are getting jobs everyday even @federal government levels without application, test or even interview!!!
I know my time is almost now..just a simple connection would make it happen!!!
Nigerian graduates needs help!
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Kunleskey(m): 2:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
Chai! chai! I know one day everything is gonna be alright...bcoz we are more than a conqueror
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Orikinla(m): 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nigerians are all In the House of Dogs.
Because, Nigeria has gone to the dogs.

What we have in Nigeria is ARRANGEMENT and not a GOVERNMENT.

Wait until you read "Ghosts of the Niger Delta" by Jeff Sengele and you will not be surprised if there is a bloody revolution in Nigeria tomorrow.

The political vampires in power don't care about the masses since their own children are not affected by the mess they have made.
Boko Haram does not even attack them and their children.
Boko Haram only attacks the poor and powerless Nigerians and those who refuse to bow to their lunacy.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by ifycent2: 2:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
hapiness44: I woke up this morning feeling very depressed,I was screaming in my head,'I am tired of staying at home,I am tired of pausing my dreams because I hav e no rich God father that can sponsor me.just yesterday,a girlfriend of mine, told me she is to start training next month with an airline,without even going through the recruitment process,her aunty 'on the top' just sent her a message that she included her name to the successful candidates,and she should start getting ready for the training.I was happy for her,and at the same time wished I had someone too..but this morning,after saying my morning prayers,I realised that we have the greatest 'connector' on earth by our side,we have God and with him everything is possible.so my fellow job seekers,have faith cause God will make all things right in his appointed time.it is well!!

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT BROZ.

ALMIGHTY GOD IS THE FINAL CONNECTOR.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 2:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
slap1: At least once or twice a week, I regret the time I spent(wasted?) in the university. My mates now have cars and houses and I have only my modest intelligence and a few other things which are not really valuable in this clime.
Now I have an offer to write aptitude test for a potential law student for 20k. I turned it down. The offer is still on the table, together with an assurance of safety from being caught... and I'm gravitating towards accepting. Wetin man go do?
The scariest part of this quagmire is that there is NO HOPE!
However, I will control myself and make use of my talent.
bros just take the offer o... I am just waiting for call because I will also write impersonate for an exam next month .. 2.1 Cant waste like that ,man must chop o... useless country.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by JosephCudjoe(m): 2:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
When there is nothing left for the "poor unemployed unconnected" Graduate to eat,all that will be left for them to eat is the "rich","connected graduate" .
D earlier Nigeria Guvment read meaning 2 my statement,the better and safer it is 4 all Nigerians.
God bless Nigeria!
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
youngalex: @Op i understand your plight having passed thru 4yrs of radical unemployemt and underemployment...I am proposing a project that will run concurently with NYSC where graduates will devote 6months of their service year for Skill acquisition after which the govt. Provides minimum of #200,000 per corp member to start up something pending when a good job comes...I call it Graduate Entrepreneural Internship Scheme...just that the Govt. Will say "No Money"..i also suggest graduates apply for Grants and Loans for Business start-Ups e.g YOUWIN Grants,BOI loans etc. "With God all things are Possible"
Have you read the post well? He said he is currently employed but looking for something BETTER.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by jigabanty(m): 3:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
hapiness44: I woke up this morning feeling very depressed,I was screaming in my head,'I am tired of staying at home,I am tired of pausing my dreams because I hav e no rich God father that can sponsor me.just yesterday,a girlfriend of mine, told me she is to start training next month with an airline,without even going through the recruitment process,her aunty 'on the top' just sent her a message that she included her name to the successful candidates,and she should start getting ready for the training.I was happy for her,and at the same time wished I had someone too..but this morning,after saying my morning prayers,I realised that we have the greatest 'connector' on earth by our side,we have God and with him everything is possible.so my fellow job seekers,have faith cause God will make all things right in his appointed time.it is well!!
OMG! One Million LIKES
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Tinapa97(m): 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
busuyem: @Op. Why did u defy the help when ur friend asked u to send the document? God might decide to help u thru that means in the first place. Corruption and tribalism are the banes of umemployement in this country untill we learn the way of righteousness.
his document was requested so that his scores can be ILLEGALLY increased and u are saying it may God that wants to help him? God doesn't work like that, if he wants to bless U, u wnt have to falsely any certificate. Kudos to d op for making that decision. May God grant I grace to persevere till d end.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 3:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
tosag: And yet some PDP praise-singers are praising the govt. in one other thread saying that only one-third of Nigerians are poor. The fact is that Nigeria needs cleansing in all aspect of life. Could you imagine, a dude in my neighbourhood who couldn't complete his diploma programme just bought a laptop and went into full-time yahoo business. In less than 2 years this guy has build a house and bought a car. In Nigeria today, people who want to make it the right way hardly make it.
1/3 of Nigerians are poor ? I laugh in arabic.. Give me job and we will share my first six month salary 50:50 .. course : Accounting 2.1 ... pm for any offer.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by NumberOne2(m): 3:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
1stola:
Shut up your stüpid ignorant ho
What should they use to create job? Ur head?

Looking at your comment, I see this is part of the reason for high unemployment rate. Lack of composure, courtesy and barbaric attitude. In this internet age, if you don't know how to create job then you are of all men, MOST IGNORANT.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 1stola: 3:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
NumberOne2:

Looking at your comment, I see this is part of the reason for high unemployment rate. Lack of composure, courtesy and barbaric attitude. In this internet age, if you don't know how to create job then you are of all men, MOST IGNORANT.
I know that you're into internet scam aka yahoo yahoo
but, I'm not interested. That's not my calling.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2014
About 70% percent Nigerian graduates standard of living are better off during NYSC than their first year post NYSC era. fact

6 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
dotcomnamename:

if you like, get your masters from Harvard. someone with ebonyi university degree and connection would get the job before you.

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by lookingfly: 3:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
my little advice:go for course which when you finish, you will be able to selfemployed considering the nature of how things are unfolding in this countries of our's.courses like vet.medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, mechanical engineering is just so cool, all u need is a start up capital and you r good to go and stop depending on the countless adverts for jobs that are very limited.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 3:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
saxywale:
if you like, get your masters from Harvard. someone with ebonyi university and connection would get the job before you.
grin
saxywale:
if you like, get your masters from Harvard. someone with ebonyi university and connection would get the job before you.
he be like say the guy na jejesi.. unemployment never hammer am.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by computerboy: 3:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
[size=25pt]All I have to say is that one day, the poor won't have anything to eat than to eat the rich

Am patiently waiting for that time cuz it must surely come [/size]

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 4lorunsho(m): 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
zhiraj: Brova welcome to. Nigeria wer a yahoo boy has a brighter future dan an educated dude its verydis-heartenin
u made me have a rethink about my life
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by MadCow1: 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
offorkansi: THE PAINFUL REALITY OF A NIGERIAN GRADUATE

On Friday July 18th, I boarded a night bus for the first time in my life. I was very apprehensive given the bad state of our roads and the activities of men of the underworld. The risk associated with travelling by road for 10 long hours and the resources I would expend in the process made the choice a very difficult decision to arrive at, especially when I considered the fact that the result of the exam which I was billed to write could go either way. Just last two weeks, the Petroleum trust development Fund (PTDF), released the list of successful candidates for their oversee scholarship after about 8months of endless waiting. I became worried that some powerful Nigerians may take advantage of the long wait to rig the selection process. My suspicion heightened when a friend called me and asked me to send my particulars, so that his sister who works with the government, can help increase my result score. I regretted not sending my particulars to this friend when last week, a former school mate called me to inform me that he had passed the PTDF exam. Knowing that I did not see him during the exams, I asked him which center he wrote his own exam, he laughed and told me flatly that he didn’t sit for the exams. His name miraculously appeared on the successful candidates list because he has a powerful Uncle who pulled some strings on his behalf.

Now you understand why going to Lagos for the exams was a big deal for me. I went anyway; I took the risk to travel to Lagos from Port Harcourt for the Seplat recruitment exam because I needed the job. I have a job, but the opportunity of landing a better job will always be appealing. Luckily, I arrived at the venue of the exams in ample time to brush my teeth and change my shirt. As I readied myself for the test, I met a guy who also came from Port Harcourt for the recruitment exercise and we got talking. He told me how he was invited for a Halliburton interview and I was thinking to myself, ‘this guy must be very intelligent’. I was crestfallen when he told me that he did not even apply for the job in the first place, to talk of sitting for the exams. He was merely invited for the interview at the instance of his highly connected brother who was part of the system. He must have seen the shock on my face because I could barely talk, when he started telling me that he wished he had brought someone to sit for the exam on his behalf.

Few months ago, 21 graduates lost their lives in the NIS recruitment exam. Till today, the Minister under whose watch this recruitment heist was pulled off is still at the helms of affair in the Ministry of Interior. Hundreds of thousands of graduates were subjected to an exam when most of the slots have been taken by politicians and top ranking civil servants. We have moved on from that debacle and the millions of naira creamed off from jobless Nigerians are yet to be refunded even after Mr. President’s directive. The government which seems overwhelmed by the present security challenges is barely doing enough to arrest unemployment and the major opposition party seems too busy with insulting the ruling party, that it can hardly find the time to tell Nigerians how they intend to create jobs if elected. Recruitment agencies are cashing in on the misfortune of graduates to rip them off by hoodwinking them with different kinds of graduate programs and fees to help them search for non-existent jobs. Companies on the other hand are making it very difficult for fresh graduates by introducing obnoxious recruitment criteria. If companies are not asking for impossible years of experience (as if you can have an experience without working), they will be calling for age brackets that will disqualify many graduates because of the time wasting NYSC program.

This country is becoming increasingly difficult for young Nigerians who do not have connections or are unwilling to soil their integrity. It is a sad reality that in today’s Nigeria, who you know is better than what you read or graduated with. Hard work and competence count for nothing in a nation where nepotism has been elevated mediocrity above excellence. Graduates are becoming desperate as their patience wanes with each passing day, even as they see the opulence displayed by our greedy politicians. My worry is that one day, this critical mass of our population may revolt and its consequences will be worse than the present crisis in the North East. What worries me even more is that more youths are ready to do whatever it takes to become gainfully employed, including selling their conscience. The future of this country will be in dire straits if her future leaders are brought up to believe that honesty, hard work and competence, do not pay. Something urgent needs to be done about the ugly reality of Nigeria graduates.

I can only hope for the best as I await the result of the Seplat recruitment exam, since I do not have any big man to plead my case.
Offor honest is an active Nigerian Youth. Please follow me on Twitter @honest4change.

[b]Well Written, well articulated, points well delivered.. #Bravo Sir, Bravo.

Just a slight addition. The truth is also this; The Nigerian Education system is designed to ruin the confidence of students in their own ability and thus promote corruption.

Its no longer news that a Lady Teacher who was in the employ of the Edi State Ministry of Education could not read a swron affidevit that she swore to attest to her age. We all saw that video, marvelled and laughed hard at the sight of a Primary school teacher and graduate of atleast the National Teachers Training College (cos I learnt this is a requirement for employment) who couldnt read. Nobody knows if she can write either.

We all laugh at the Presidents Wife, Dame Jonathan everytime she gives a speech. What we never consider is the fact that the lady who is struggling hard to read from a pre-written and vetted script is a National College of Education Graduate of Mathematics from the Rivers State University of Science and Technology and also a double honours graduate for Biology and Psychology from the Federal University of Port-Harcourt. Then as if that wasnt bad enough, Dame Jonathan also ended up teaching students at Stella Maris college before ending up in the Bayelsa Ministry of Education.

Our Public school system are the worst culprit. A child can go from Primary 1 - Primary 6 without a single notebook or textbook. Then we all know that nobody fails common entrance. Infact, I remember my Common entrance exams back then in one state school in Port-Harcourt, our deputy-Headmaster was the one dictating the answers to us from the front of the class.

JUNIOR WAEC.. Aptitude Test:: I remember how the two people seated next to me were just shading random boxes without reading the questions cos I doubt they could even read, let alone understand the question enough to answer them. In one case, the Girl next to me gave 60 answers (cos the answer sheet had 60 slots for answering) to a 30-question section. During my WAEC examinations, I still remember how I was busy running from extra-mural classes to home tutors whilst my friend were going from business centres to business centres trying to track down leaked exam questions. JAMB was no different, I remember my seat mate (The guy wrote in PHC coming from ABA). The guy sat down, got the question, brought out a stack of papers from his pocket (as if looking for which one matched the type he had) and without looking at the questions, started shading away.

Whilst I was waiting to gain admission into the University, I remember one of my Tribesmen telling my Dad to bring him my result and some cash so that my name would be on the supplementary admission list or the "Vice-Chancellors list" (I wonder why the V.C had a list of his own). O! And mind you, I didnt even have a JAMB score then because those Muthafuckers cancelled the entire result from my centre. grin

The Nigerian Univerisity is even a joke on its own. Cos I attended a University Secondary school and had many Lecturers kids in my school, I was exposed to how University students would bring papers that they had answered after the exam and give to these lecturers kids to go swap out their submitted exam papers for a price. We had Lecturers kids who brought exam questions and sold to Uni students, e.t.c. Its not news that a Student can pass a course without stepping into any lecture hall for an entire semester. Lets not even talk about the lack of teaching aid.

When I graduated and returned to Nigeria, it was amazing how almost every unemployed graduate in Nigeria blamed their unemployed state on 'Lack of Connection'. I thank God for the parents I had and for taking their advice. My Dad told me he sent out over 300 applications upon graduation. So I followed suit (though I doubt I did up to 150 applications cos I only targetted Oil and Gas companies). I remember when I sat for the Schlumberger Test, almost everyone after the test kept talking about connection.

The sad truth is that this connection is very real and present especially in the Government organisations like: the Police, Federal and State parastatals and ministries and ALL LGA offices. That is why today, we have Ministry employees who are dumber than a Primary 3 kid. In some, you just look at them and wonder how they even landed the job. Many of these ministries dont even carry out employment ads. They just solicit within themselves and pick one of their own to fill up the space.

Till Today, NNPC Job ad that I applied for since 2012 has not had any head way because I learnt that so many Top Government officals from the Presidency and Senate to the Heirachy of the NNPC have filled up all the slots available with their people that it no longer makes any sense to even hold any tests. grin

Its truly Sad and its very obvious and glaring. All that the Government needs to do to prove this is to Get the employment dates of every one in a Ministry and match it against whoever was in charge at the time and you would see a link between them.

However, many Nigerian Graduates would still not get a job if the odds were even.[/b]

17 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by joseph1832(m): 3:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
I am most amazed some people just discovered that Nigeria is a country where nepotism thrives, If you just realize this, then you just started and I welcome you to the struggle of being gainfully employed.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
In a country where Dangote grew to become a Forbes recognized Billionaire, Adenuga built a world class telecommunications company, okpara ugo will make it...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Embassy, Nigeria Is Recruiting. / Jobs At The US Embassy In Nigeria / 9 Jobs That Don’t Require A University Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.