Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,874 members, 7,956,300 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:27 AM

The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates (25668 Views)

Nigerian Graduates And Their Terrible CV Presentation! (CV attached) / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 5:19pm On Jul 23, 2014
volihove:

Boko haram pls contact me too pls o!!! In what you believe In! Let re shape the country
This is what is causing boko haram in Nigeria.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by oluamid(m): 5:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nigerian graduates are one of the most marginalized people in the modern era. You can imagine going to an interview where you were asked to remove your shoes before entering the office of the interviewer like she/he was some kind of high priestess whose holy sanctuary you are about to desecrate with your job seeking feet. sad
I and a very good friend was reminiscing just yesterday about what we went through in the hands of a certain employer we were both [un]fortunate to have worked for. I'd never wish the experience on an enemy. We slept on bug-ridden mats in a mosquito infested room which we shared with the messenger, maiguard and driver all because we wanted to meet target and deadlines. We even got bossed by a 12 year old who sent us on errands like errand boys. It was so humiliating and degrading that though we weren't paid on time or fully, we had to grab the little offered and take to our heels.

Hian! Ayaf suffad. cry

Things are looking better now though. smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
MadCow1:

This is one topic that is highly debatable and I will always stand on the opposing side.

A high school drop-out cant make a good doctor no matter how long you train him and he practices for it.

And, Job creation does not necessarily equate to intelligence. Example: The Man who onws a gigantic Corn farm in the North may be a stark raving illiterate. However, he needs scientists and laboratory people to look at his crops, check for dieseases, research and develop hybrid crops. He needs accountants to keep his books. He need Marketers to source new clients and markets, he needs transport logistics peoples to move his produce from farm to customers timely, e.t.c.

The people who create jobs are not necessarily the most educated nor book intelligent.
You've just buttressed my point further. If a high school drop out can mobilize experts to help actualize his/her dream, imagine what intelligent people like the op can do with his level of exposure. My point is people like him shouldn't limit themselves. He was created for bigger things.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by PassingShot(m): 5:50pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nigeria is not where it is by sheer accident. It's because of this same scenario described by the OP that we've ended with incompetent leaders at every strata of our economy.

Unfortunately, Nigerian youths are not known to revolt for the right reasons. Those times are gone.

It's a very hopeless situation with no end in sight. cry cry

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nascimento(m): 5:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
As I was reading this I caught a drop of tear in my eye.
I can identify with the OP...

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Jovie: 6:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
Honestly, we should start celebrating merit! All this connection without merit is killing our future!!!
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by HIV1: 6:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
People make me laugh grin
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Polchiz(m): 6:25pm On Jul 23, 2014
koyyes: You've just buttressed my point further. If a high school drop out can mobilize experts to help actualize his/her dream, imagine what intelligent people like the op can do with his level of exposure. My point is people like him shouldn't limit themselves. He was created for bigger things.
Do you have problem with understanding or what? Your type may be writing this trash from a comfortable office.
A graduate who can't boast of N1000 should start something with your head I suppose?
Do you know that there is time for everything?
Do you understand the meaning of the word 'ambition'?
If you expect a graduate to take the job of a bus conductor, palm wine tapper, errand boy e.t.c, then something must be wrong with that your thick skull that you call brain.
ONLY God Almighty can make something out of nothing.
Imagine yourself losing your job and all your money and then tell us here what you would do.
If you made 3rd class and managed to get a job through connection or merit, don't laugh at those who have better grades but are still unemployed. The truth is that, intelligence doesn't amount to enterpreneurial potential.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by alotofgrace(m): 6:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
GRADUATES Failing nlng waec test...

who knows if that miracle dude had even graduated.....

Father enable my Canada link

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by ifycent2: 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
hapiness44: I am a girl o!

No vex ooooh....
I dont even luk at ur profile Name.....
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Ndababa(m): 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
Exmay: Lol... 200k is nothing. And by the way get off Dangote's story, he started with 500K(not 25). And the 500k then worth way more than 25m of today. He started in a less competitive and less corrupt Nigeria. Pls think bigger than 200k.

Dangote's initial capital is by the way. All im saying is this: that proposed scheme where youth corps get to enjoy lesser duration (6 month), then a bonus of N200K is way better that as it is now. ofcourse I know N200K is peanut (my monthly allowance is a little less than 200k, ain't showing off), but it means a world to others. And like I said, this is enough for some spirited minds.

That's life, you know!

Ps: if yoy calculate 19800 for 12 months ( as is obtainable now) which is just N237600, tell me if that scheme isn't better.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by chezzy13(f): 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
My shoe don pill my leg where I dey fine work. Pls does anyone know how RESOURCE INTERMEDIARIES LIMITED in island operate?
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 360command: 7:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nigerians go and hustle for yourself. If you know see job go open aboki shop.

Go and learn a skill, become a butcher, barber, tailor(designer) etc.

Men goes months without seeing money, trust me if you were to open a barber shop,something must fall in.

Swallow pride, the chinese man leaves his city in china to come down to rural areas in africa hustling.yet them dey make am.

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
People who talk about entrepreneurship this and that are often not very realistic. Most career paths require a learning curve. I'm a civil engineer with about 2 years post graduate experience. Can you compare me with someone with 10-15 years experience? But what happens when you can't even get that opportunity to get the experience. My mechanical engineering friend with the website design stuff still probably has no mechanical engineering experience because he has not worked in that field yet. So how is his entrepreneurship relevant to his chosen career.

What I'm saying in essence is that Nigeria is severely suffering from job scarcity and the few jobs available are given mostly to the highly connected regardless of merit. This means that this guys would gain experience and then progress career wise while the unconnected will aspire to become entrepreneurs through buying and selling or some inherent skill or talent without any career progression (it would have been better and still possible to leverage on the skill or talent while undergoing career development). So in about 10 years time, the mechanical engineer turns into a self tutored web designer defeating the purpose of having that engineering degree in the first place. This is because he wasn't connected enough to get a job in that field. So then, what was the point of going to engineering college?

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by sebali: 7:19pm On Jul 23, 2014
luvola: God help us !!!! I have been at home since last year june when I finished service. Even Yahoo Yahoo guys has a better standard of living than us...

Give me job and we will share my first six months salary by 50:50..

angryGod help us !!!! I have been at home since last year june when I finished service. Even Yahoo Yahoo guys has a better standard of living than us...

Give me job and we will share my first six months salary by 50:50..

completed service dat same june 2013

no job.

many tymes i try to blame myself......( i gat no special skill nor xperience)....bt den again if i dnt gt a job hw wud i be xperieced.

i consider running certificate programmes.....yet again d good ones are xpensive..........i can barely recharge my phone without some assistance dese days

i hav sat for many test and one interview.........maybe am not smart enuff.

d wrking class tells me d same thing everytime....."guy no job....gt self employed"......they dat gat oil company salary neva stated anytime bt xpects me jobless self to start a firm(IRONY).

abi na to go learn handwrk.........bt dey told us formal education is d way. SIGHS.

GOVT. DEY DO NOTIN, YAHOO BOYS AND OIL BUNKERS/THUGS DEY HAMMA.........PASTOTS DEY COLLECT TITHE.

IN ASA's VOICE.............THE MOUNTAIN DON BURN FINISH........NOW THE VALLEY IS PICKING THE HEAT ANDTHE FLAMES SPEEDILY...............

NO CHOICE BT TO HANG MYSELF ON HOPE

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
The annoying thing is the amount been stolen by those in authority on a daily basis
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Yinkagbo(m): 7:54pm On Jul 23, 2014
[quote author=zhiraj]Brova welcome to. Nigeria wer a yahoo boy has a brighter future dan an educated dude its verydis-heartenin[/quot

You crack me up.......
6 years ago,I was in 3level...my gf left me for another guy who was a yahoo guy.....when I asked d gurl d reason,she said because I av no future.....I thank God for my life,cos he proved her wrong..

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
I wish you the best bros. Atimes, it makes you almost lose whatever faith you have. All the best
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by udswagz: 8:29pm On Jul 23, 2014
who says education is a guarantee for success in this country ?
Do you have any idea how many university graduates are unemployed ?
Even that guy across your street that graduate 2 years ago has not gotten
a job. whats the point ?
the best thing you can do for yourself is to develop your skills.
and focus on building them while you are still in school.
Frankly Nigerian education is one big joke, and there is no promise afterwards.
I focused more on my building my programming skills while in school
and after one year of graduating (have not served, bleeping school ppl)
I am running a web and mobile application development agency,
doing really fine and just got a new laptop.
Please guys build your skill, the educational promise is false.

If you really have to design a website, develop a web application or mobile application
some sites we have developed
www.helonyconcept.com
www.kasemart.com

Have an app or website idea ? just visit www.udonline.net
and i will help bring your idea to reality.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by oluamid(m): 8:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
chezzy13: My shoe don pill my leg where I dey fine work. Pls does anyone know how RESOURCE INTERMEDIARIES LIMITED in island operate?

Please my sister, any company with that kind of name is most of the time a GNLD type. Please don't waste your t-fare. Google the name and see what you'll come up with before you go.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
Am amazed at the fabulois write ups, it show we have intellectuals and brilliant minds.

The education.system is more than a joke.... I know of a school where the principal involves in Exam malpactice........from your compound to streets and even to the CHURCH, yes the CHURCH connection rules.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
Am amazed at the fabulois write ups, it show we have intellectuals and brilliant minds.

The education.system is more than a joke.... I know of a school where the principal involves in Exam malpactice........from your compound to streets and even to the CHURCH, yes the CHURCH connection rules.

Finally, am.happy Nigeria youth are talking amd make efforts to tackle the epidemic called ynemployment.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by baba11(m): 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
sebali:

completed service dat same june 2013

no job.

many tymes i try to blame myself......( i gat no special skill nor xperience)....bt den again if i dnt gt a job hw wud i be xperieced.

i consider running certificate programmes.....yet again d good ones are xpensive..........i can barely recharge my phone without some assistance dese days

i hav sat for many test and one interview.........maybe am not smart enuff.

d wrking class tells me d same thing everytime....."guy no job....gt self employed"......they dat gat oil company salary neva stated anytime bt xpects me jobless self to start a firm(IRONY).

abi na to go learn handwrk.........bt dey told us formal education is d way. SIGHS.

GOVT. DEY DO NOTIN, YAHOO BOYS AND OIL BUNKERS/THUGS DEY HAMMA.........PASTOTS DEY COLLECT TITHE.

IN ASA's VOICE.............THE MOUNTAIN DON BURN FINISH........NOW THE VALLEY IS PICKING THE HEAT ANDTHE FLAMES SPEEDILY...............

NO CHOICE BT TO HANG MYSELF ON HOPE
same to me....I completed my service last year
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by baba11(m): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2014
But what I know is that there are some that have the connections but doesn't know how to use it!!!!
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 9:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
I have started networking righ from. this night
.. God help me !!! Bleep the 2.1 I have...
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by frank043(m): 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2014
hapiness44: I woke up this morning feeling very depressed,I was screaming in my head,'I am tired of staying at home,I am tired of pausing my dreams because I hav e no rich God father that can sponsor me.just yesterday,a girlfriend of mine, told me she is to start training next month with an airline,without even going through the recruitment process,her aunty 'on the top' just sent her a message that she included her name to the successful candidates,and she should start getting ready for the training.I was happy for her,and at the same time wished I had someone too..but this morning,after saying my morning prayers,I realised that we have the greatest 'connector' on earth by our side,we have God and with him everything is possible.so my fellow job seekers,have faith cause God will make all things right in his appointed time.it is well!!
Eyaa...Don't worry the Lord is our connection. You will live your dreams,ok? God dey!!!
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 9:54pm On Jul 23, 2014
The truth iss that we can only help ourselves because most people will not help us. sobbing mode
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by avalontony(m): 9:54pm On Jul 23, 2014
in the voice of Juanita bynaum ...BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD.............HE IS THE DOCTOR IN THE SICK ROOM. GOD HELP US........ALL.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by frank043(m): 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
hapiness44: I woke up this morning feeling very depressed,I was screaming in my head,'I am tired of staying at home,I am tired of pausing my dreams because I hav e no rich God father that can sponsor me.just yesterday,a girlfriend of mine, told me she is to start training next month with an airline,without even going through the recruitment process,her aunty 'on the top' just sent her a message that she included her name to the successful candidates,and she should start getting ready for the training.I was happy for her,and at the same time wished I had someone too..but this morning,after saying my morning prayers,I realised that we have the greatest 'connector' on earth by our side,we have God and with him everything is possible.so my fellow job seekers,have faith cause God will make all things right in his appointed time.it is well!!
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by yemmit90: 10:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
1stola:
Shut up your stüpid ignorant ho
What should they use to create job? Ur head?

But he's telling you the bitter truth.

You will be amaze if I tell you I don't have a single CV since I graduated some years back.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 10:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
artisticallyart: www.nairaland.com/1428481/strictly-those-interested-teaching-jobs/11 try this pending when that"JOB" comes.
I have applied to the said vacancies. infact I do apply to alot of vacancies daily under stress conditions via data caps. Applying is not the problem !!! God help us .. who can hook/connect me up to a small /medium audit firm ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Embassy, Nigeria Is Recruiting. / 9 Jobs That Don’t Require A University Degree / Jobs At The US Embassy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.