Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,561 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work (23372 Views)

help someone to get job where you work and where you have connection / Four Reasons Your CV Might Not Get Past The Receptionist! / Simple Job Where You Will Earn $50 Upon Approval. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by nenergy(m): 4:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
We all have relatives working in big establishments both government and private and as a job seeker you might be amazed shocked and even agitated angry that your aunt or uncle working in that MNC isn’t helping you get a job in his/her firm. My job search lasted 9 months and in that time I expected my aunt (who works in the HR Department at Chevron Nigeria) to help me get a job there, but no show. It baffled me that I was connected, but cannot download. grin

Anyways, I got a job and being employed has exposed me to quite a number of reasons why your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work. Ceteris Paribus, they are;

1. No entry level vacancy: Let’s face it; there aren’t too many entry level positions available. Companies mostly want experienced hires- someone who knows the job well. So that your relative works there doesn’t mean he/she will recommend you without the requisite experience.

2. Strict recruitment procedures: Some companies have very strict recruitment procedures. Some are so strict even if you’re the M.Ds daughter you won’t scale through unless by merit. For example, the Daughter of the GMD of NNPC who failed the 2012 recruitment tests. So believe me, that your uncle can only refer you to the recruitment portal and nothing more. (Ceteris paribus o!)

3. Outsourcing: Most companies now outsource HR functions to 3rd party consultants. E.g Dragnet etc. Ok, so vacancy opens at your uncle’s workplace, but the recruitment process is handled by Dragnet. The best he can do is to give the web link and ensure that you’re invited for aptitude test. He can’t rig your test score for you. (Ceteris paribus o!)

4. Company policy: Most companies don’t employ people related by blood. So, that your uncle works there disqualifies you automatically. I heard of how a panel member at a job interview announced his relationship to a candidate and consequently excused himself. The candidate was his nephew.

5. ‘See finish’: There is something about humans that makes us protective and secretive of our source of income (o fe mo bi mo shen pawo). So your uncle will rather submit your CV everywhere else except his workplace so that you will not “see him finish”. tongue

There you have it; reasons your relatives can’t help you get a job where they work.

Source:
The Job Seekers Creed - more than just a book.
http://www.facebook.com/TheJobseekersCreed

43 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by KillerBeauty(f): 4:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
Really
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Syenite(m): 6:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
Unemployed youths should not have this defeatist attitude that the only way to get a job is by connection.

The truth and whole truth still remains that a good number of companies still recruit based on merit. Fact that u know someone who never wrote any test and got a job in a company does nt mean that there are no people who ever get jobs through the transparent recruitment process.

My advice to fresh graduates is that don't pay attention to people with the "u need connection to get the job" attitude. They will make u feel like a loser and defeated even before the job search. Mind the kind of job seekers u associate urself with or listen to. Believe me when ur mind is defeated ur life will be defeated.

MOST companies still recruit on merit. I was once in the labour market. I have moved from one establishement to the other. I never knew anyone.

The truth is people who probably didn't do well in school are using this "no connection no job" lies to console themselves and make u feel like all ur study efforts were in vain.

Keep searching, keep preparing for aptitude tests and interviews and b persistent. Believe in God and very importantly also believe in urself and that dream or desired job will be urs.

57 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Smartsyn(m): 6:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
OK

Op, there is something called I M in Nigeria, man- know - man.

If others are using it to hook up their people, they should use it to hook us up too.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by MARKone(m): 6:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
What of those that generally don't want to see u succeed in life

19 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by mencade5(m): 6:20pm On Jul 23, 2014
alright ooo
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
you are very right

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Swiftboy(m): 6:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
These does not apply all the time. People get jobs for their relatives more often than not even if they're not qualified! cool

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by easyflow: 6:22pm On Jul 23, 2014
Young man! you are definitely not from Nigeria undecided

20 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by CharlieMaria(m): 6:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ok.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nnamdig2(m): 6:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by gsparks01(m): 6:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
not all sha..connects pass connects

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by freshness2020: 6:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
What D̶̲̅ε̲̣y give is excuse for the gods! mtcheew
Wetin man pikin get na GOD nothing again!

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by ITbomb(m): 6:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
If it is a big company with many branches, most relatives would rather get you a position outside his domain than for you to come and see how he dey answer 'yes, madam' to one small girl

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Coenvict: 6:25pm On Jul 23, 2014
I see

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by emmansy(m): 6:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
Sum it up: No 5 alone is d main reason.... Cos sometimes ur qualification myt b higher than theirs, u don't expect dem to help u become dere boss..

7 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by deife(m): 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2014
I understand the first four reasons. The last is what I just can't understand. It's so selfish. A great man is not afraid to share his greatness with other people.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by priscaoge(f): 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2014
When my own thread go hit FP
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by brosiye99(m): 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2014
;DHehe @ see finish.
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
I totally disagree with your write up. Job opportunities in the private and public sector has been reduced drastically because of Nepotism. Very few employers look beyond family, tribe, business associations, recess clubs, church etc and base thier criteria strictly on merit and performance

Because your aunt didn't help doesn't diminish the truth abt the rot in the system. Don't get me wrong, very few positions are available on merit but the mediocrity, retrogression especially in the public sector is a direct result of man know man employment.

9 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by busuyem: 6:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
These reasons are not genuine if ur aunty/uncle is a real Oga at the top except he/she does not want ur progress.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by emmyvet(m): 6:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
space booked...brb
Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by shyna501: 6:30pm On Jul 23, 2014
'See finish'.. Dat's d main reason, no doubt!

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by Marineetyon(m): 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
may God open ur eyes

1 Like

Re: Reasons Your Relatives Can’t Help You Get A Job Where They Work by flyingdutchman(m): 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
YOU ARE 50% CORRECT! THE OTHER 50% IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT SOME RELATIVES DON'T WANT OTHERS TO ATTAIN THEIR LEVEL IN LIFE SO THEY CAN CONTINUE TO REIGN AS LOCAL CHAMPS

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NCS Call Successful Candidates For Training- Be Informed / CDCFIB Shortlisted Candidates For NIS & NSCDC Recruitment Aptitude Test 2020 / Natforce Latest News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.