Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,972 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? (647 Views)

Senate Miffed With Buhari's Nominees For Assuming Office Without Confirmation / Believe News From The Following Media Outfits At Your Own Peril / Political Bias Of Nigerian Media (Newspapers/Blogs, TV/Radio Stations) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by publisher(m): 7:45pm On Jul 24, 2014
News just reaching us says that today's bomb blast at Sabon gari, Kano claimed one life (a woman) and injured about eight others. Now the life of that one woman lost is very important and we pray for the repose of her soul.

BUT why are Nigerian media houses quick to inflate the body count of victims after a successful terror attack? Especially those media houses seen to be close to opposition parties? When the Kano blast occurred this afternoon, minutes later Tinubu's TVC had already started scrolling. "BREAKING NEWS: BOMB BLAST IN KANO, SCORES FEARED DEAD.

It seems as if these media houses are PR agents of Boko Haram, helping them spread terror by inflating the number of victims in any terror attack and making it look as gory as possible.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, BOKO HARAM CRAVES MEDIA ATTENTION,and the only way we can win this terror war half way is by denying them unnecessary media attention. #BlackOutBoko

I am not saying that we should not report terror attacks, we should,but let's do it in a solemn,sober but smart way that denies Boko Haram any satisfaction.

Whenever Boko Haram successfully carries out an attack, let media houses report the attack ending with "THERE WERE SOME CASUALTIES", full stop. Not mentioning or inflating death figures and showing us gory pictures from the scene with blood and body parts everywhere. Yes, we can call it some form of national propaganda against Boko Haram, why not? This is war and 'propaganda' is a viable war weapon.

This will surely frustrate Boko Haram,drive them nuts,make them want to come out more in the open and carry out 'News worthy' attacks; this will surely make them slip up, and help in their destruction.

This is my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 24, 2014
Instead of giving conflicting reports about the number of people that died in the bomb blasts,they use scores because they believe the dead victims will be in 20's.

RIP to the dead victims.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by publisher(m): 7:54pm On Jul 24, 2014
berem: Instead of giving conflicting reports about the number of people that died in the bomb blasts,they use scores because they believe the dead victims will be in 20's.

RIP to the dead victims.

How about them simply reporting that 'there were casualties', and end it at that?
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 24, 2014
publisher:

How about them simply reporting that 'there were casualties', and end it at that?
you know Nigerians are always very inquisitive to know the number of casualities. Some Nigerians don't even know what a "score" or "gross" is. Na only "dozen" dem sabi. grin
I think I agree with you btw.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by publisher(m): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2014
berem: you know Nigerians are always very inquisitive to know the number of casualities. Some Nigerians don't even know what a "score" or "gross" is. Na only "dozen" dem sabi. grin
I think I agree with you btw.

smiley Thanks
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by donphilopus: 8:09pm On Jul 24, 2014
Who told you only one person died in Kano today?! Which of the media houses reported that?! Ain't it Government owned?! As far as I'm concerned, TVC report is the genuine one. The Government owned media houses are not known to report the actual number of casualties of any bomb blast.

The one reported by the Government owned Media Houses might be 20. So, do not believe anything you read online (especially Government Owned media), as regards Bomb Blast!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by publisher(m): 8:13pm On Jul 24, 2014
donphilopus: Who told you only one person died in Kano today?! Which of the media houses reported that?! Ain't it Government owned?! As far as I'm concerned, TVC report is the genuine one. The Government owned media houses are not known to report the actual number of casualties of any bomb blast.

The one reported by the Government owned Media Houses might be 20. So, do not believe anything you read online (especially Government Owned media), as regards Bomb Blast!

The blast was not captured on any international news media,including BBC...that's enough evidence that the death toll was very low. Having said that we still sympathize with the casualties. Nigeria Info, Punch newspaper, RayPower, Rhythm etc are not government owned.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 24, 2014
donphilopus: Who told you only one person died in Kano today?! Which of the media houses reported that?! Ain't it Government owned?! As far as I'm concerned, TVC report is the genuine one. The Government owned media houses are not known to report the actual number of casualties of any bomb blast.

that's the reason the OP created the thread to discuss such abnormalities in getting the accurate figure of casualties.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerian Media Outfits Report 'scores Dead' Without Confirmation? by naptu2: 11:35pm On Jul 24, 2014
There are 3 types of casualty figures after any disaster: (1) The high figure(s). (2) The actual figure. (3) The low figure(s). These three types of figures are usually reported in Nigeria immediately after a riot, plane crash, bomb blast, etc.

1) High figures: A journalist once told his students, "If you are covering a riot and somebody collapses, do not report that the person died. Follow them to the hospital and make sure that the doctor certifies that the person is dead, before you report that the person has died, because the person may later recover at the hospital".

Unfortunately, many journalists do not take the time to verify if people are actually dead before reporting. A man collapsed during the Lekki Toll Gate protests and several newspapers immediately reported that he had died. That same man was treated at the hospital and discharged that same day. A man was hit by a teargas canister during the fuel subsidy protests. The media reported that he had died, whereas he was in the hospital receiving treatment.

2) The actual figure: It is extremely difficult to get the actual figures.

3) The low figures: The casualty figures released by the government are usually lower and many people believe that it's because of a cover up. This is not necessarily so. The government only reports casualties that it can verify. These figures are usually gotten from the police, hospitals, fire service, etc. Some injured people do not bring their injuries to the attention of the authorities for various reasons (including fear, severity, costs, etc). Some may choose to treat their injuries at home. Some people may also choose to bury their dead without involving the police, hospitals, etc. There is no way that the government will know about these people.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

SULTAN TO BOKO HARAM ; You Can’t Bomb Your Way To Paradise. / President Jonathan Congratulates Aregbesola On His Election Victory / Blame PDP For Decay In South-west – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.