Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,369 members, 7,954,495 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:26 PM

Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead (43900 Views)

The First Ebola Patient In US Is Dead / River State Investigating A Possible First Ebola Case in Port Harcourt / FG Confirms 10th Ebola Case In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by simdam500(m): 3:06pm On Jul 25, 2014
AWWW... painful.... but he just left something he and his family gonna regret giving birth to him sad
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Jhosh(m): 3:06pm On Jul 25, 2014
Am i d only 1 wu tinks d man was killed?eida by injectin em?To prevent spreading of d virus..
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by latinojives(m): 3:06pm On Jul 25, 2014
OMG!! This is not good new oh!
Let's protect ourselves peeps.
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 25, 2014
Repteam: Pls who is Ebola ? Is he or she a celebrity or terrorist?

Key facts

Ebola virus disease (EVD), formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, is a severe, often fatal illness in humans.
EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%.
EVD outbreaks occur primarily in remote villages in Central and West Africa, near tropical rainforests.
The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.
Fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are considered to be the natural host of the Ebola virus.
Severely ill patients require intensive supportive care. No licensed specific treatment or vaccine is available for use in people or animals.

Brief history

Ebola first appeared in 1976 in 2 simultaneous outbreaks, in Nzara, Sudan, and in Yambuku, Democratic Republic of Congo. The latter was in a village situated near the Ebola River, from which the disease takes its name.

How is it transmitted

Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals. In Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids. Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

Among workers in contact with monkeys or pigs infected with Reston ebolavirus, several infections have been documented in people who were clinically asymptomatic. Thus, RESTV appears less capable of causing disease in humans than other Ebola species.

However, the only available evidence available comes from healthy adult males. It would be premature to extrapolate the health effects of the virus to all population groups, such as immuno-compromised persons, persons with underlying medical conditions, pregnant women and children. More studies of RESTV are needed before definitive conclusions can be drawn about the pathogenicity and virulence of this virus in humans.

Read more at http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

3 Likes

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 25, 2014
See how scared people are? I don't knw why people are scared. I am not scared a bit. If Nigeria Spirit can defeat SARS and the two dreaded Flus successfully, then ebola is a done deal.

sandijey: Am scared o embarassed
why are you scared? hahahhahahha

1 Like

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by frainc(m): 3:07pm On Jul 25, 2014
What about the people that have come in contact with this man in naija?

So, do we need to be happy over his death or to watch out for any sign related to that of the ebola
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by myspnigeria: 3:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
may his soul rest in peace
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Key facts

Ebola virus disease (EVD), formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, is a severe, often fatal illness in humans.
EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%.
EVD outbreaks occur primarily in remote villages in Central and West Africa, near tropical rainforests.
The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.
Fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are considered to be the natural host of the Ebola virus.
Severely ill patients require intensive supportive care. No licensed specific treatment or vaccine is available for use in people or animals.

Brief history

Ebola first appeared in 1976 in 2 simultaneous outbreaks, in Nzara, Sudan, and in Yambuku, Democratic Republic of Congo. The latter was in a village situated near the Ebola River, from which the disease takes its name.

How is it transmitted

Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals. In Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids. Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness.

Health-care workers have frequently been infected while treating patients with suspected or confirmed EVD. This has occurred through close contact with patients when infection control precautions are not strictly practiced.

Among workers in contact with monkeys or pigs infected with Reston ebolavirus, several infections have been documented in people who were clinically asymptomatic. Thus, RESTV appears less capable of causing disease in humans than other Ebola species.

However, the only available evidence available comes from healthy adult males. It would be premature to extrapolate the health effects of the virus to all population groups, such as immuno-compromised persons, persons with underlying medical conditions, pregnant women and children. More studies of RESTV are needed before definitive conclusions can be drawn about the pathogenicity and virulence of this virus in humans.

Read more at http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
Where the virus de since year 1976? Abi e go hide or e go call him brothers come?
If Ebola like make e wipe out the Rest of the continents.. As lons as e enter Naija... NOTHING DE HAPPEN

2 Likes

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 25, 2014
Jhosh: Am i d only 1 wu tinks d man was killed?eida by injectin em?To prevent spreading of d virus..

Do you people think that we health workers are that barbaric?

Better read about ebola....google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by ignis: 3:13pm On Jul 25, 2014
Ebola is a very deadly virus....
Our Government should do everything necessary to checkmate its spread.
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by UmecheMoses(m): 3:14pm On Jul 25, 2014
THIS MAN MAY HAVE PASSED THAT VRUS ON THE PLANE TO OTHER PEOPLE OOOOO CHAIIIIIIII
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by babestella: 3:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
viruses are just too stupid, they infect and invade their host, and then kill it, not knowing that if their host is well contained before & after death, that will be the end of the virus.

RIP to the young man. May God grant his rest.

This is sad.

1 Like

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 25, 2014
whatlyf:
Where the virus de since year 1976? Abi e go hide or e go call him brothers come?
If Ebola like make e wipe out the Rest of the continents.. As lons as e enter Naija... NOTHING DE HAPPEN

The virus has always been there....it was first isolated and characterized in a lab in 1976.

People have been dying of Ebola for centuries. However, until the onset of colonial rule,most Africans lived in isolated communities....so whoever died of Ebola died without spreading it. The onset of colonial rule and modern means of transport meant that viral diseases had a route to travel. Like our Liberian friend....if he had lived 600 years ago, chances are that he would have died in his isolated village.

2 Likes

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by SIRcumalot: 3:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
What about the people he came in contact with on the plane
they should find everybody on the plane manifest before it is too late
Fear dey me grip o

2 Likes

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jul 25, 2014
whatlyf: See how scared people are? I don't knw why people are scared. I am not scared a bit. If Nigeria Spirit can defeat SARS and the two dreaded Flus successfully, then ebola is a done deal.

why are you scared? hahahhahahha

The way people are talking about it. Sending broadcast messages about it and how infectious the thing is scares me. We wey dey enter public transport nko, Chaiiiiiiiiiiii. Am scared. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 25, 2014
bushdoc9919:

The virus has always been there....it was first isolated and characterized in a lab in 1976.

People have been dying of Ebola for centuries. However, until the onset of colonial rule,most Africans lived in isolated communities....so whoever died of Ebola died without spreading it. The onset of colonial rule and modern means of transport meant that viral diseases had a route to travel. Like our Liberian friend....if he had lived 600 years ago, chances are that he would have died in his isolated village.
Oga if ebola like make e charter plane to Nigeria with their Ancestors, NOTHING de happen. I repeat...NOTHING

1 Like

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by jude33084(m): 3:19pm On Jul 25, 2014
Them don go kill am fast fast grin
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 25, 2014
Nigerian sharp people dem don quickly kil d man
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Janetozi(f): 3:22pm On Jul 25, 2014
Whether he was killed or he died on his own, it is all for our own good. R.I.P to d dead anyway.
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 25, 2014
sandijey:

The way people are talking about it. Sending broadcast messages about it and how infectious the thing is scares me. We wey dey enter public transport nko, Chaiiiiiiiiiiii. Am scared. embarassed
Babe if you follow media shout, hypertension will kill you(God forbid). They said the same thing of SARS(2003) and it reached Nigeria, NOTHING HAPPENED
Similar was said of flu...NOTHING Happened
Now ebola... Nothing will happen
Our own Ebola is our leaders, we have been "managing them" since "only God Knows when" cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Janetozi(f): 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2014
whatlyf: Oga if ebola like make e charter plane to Nigeria with their Ancestors, NOTHING de happen. I repeat...NOTHING
plsssss, what kind of odi eshi do u have in mind?

1 Like

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2014
uzeba: This morning an ebola patient was brought to a private clinic, the sister said to the receptionist my brother has ebola the doctor being a yoruba man shouted from his office EBOKINI? Olorunmaje ki ari oriburuku he ran out of the hospital everybody followed including women in labor and Hiv patients.
grin grin grin
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by JEITO: 3:24pm On Jul 25, 2014
Ebola no dey show for face o...

Btw, let his friends and close colleagues be quarantined also.
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by ichidodo: 3:26pm On Jul 25, 2014
And so we await the body count...
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
its so easy 2 prevent d spread of ebola, its nt airborne so ppl shud b at rest. Ders no way d man wud av infected d ppl he was with on d plane he boarded to nigeria so far der was no contact with secretions from hez body be it sweat, blood or mucur. nigerians shud stop panicking. dats why it is advicable to always wash ones hands clean with eida liquid soap or detergent b4 d hand goes in2 ur mouth.
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by jude33084(m): 3:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
Ceasar1: I read it somewhere that an Ebola patient is more infectious and deadly at death. I pray no one gets infected though when getting rid of the corpse.

The body will be incinerated before going to the ground. sad
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by mandonnels(m): 3:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
LMAyedun: Mr. Patrick Sawyer, a WASH consultant at the Ministry of Finance, who had been quarantined since arriving Lagos, Nigeria on Sunday, July 20, 2014 with symptoms of the Ebola virus, has died .

A Liberian government official, speaking on condition of anonymity said the news of Sawyer’s death was relayed to Liberia by the Nigerian embassy, in the early hours of Friday, July 25, 2014.

The Lagos government health authorities announced on Thursday, July 24, 2014 that Sawyer was being tested for the deadly Ebola virus.

Sawyer’s death is the first recorded case of one of the world’s deadliest diseases in Nigeria, Africa’s biggest economy and most populous nation, with 170 million people.

Ebola has killed 632 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since an outbreak began in February, straining a string of weak health systems despite international help.

http://www.thetrentonline.com/breaking-news-liberian-man-patrick-sawyer-first-ebola-case-lagos-dead-pictured/?

http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201407251025.html/?
he is still alive.... false news
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by pomporiking: 3:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
Whoever has been in contact with this man needs to go for treatment don't be forming am not sick in your fathers house oooh
Anyhow thunda fire liberia for this nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Sweetlemon(f): 3:28pm On Jul 25, 2014
whatlyf: Babe if you follow media shout, hypertension will kill you(God forbid). They said the same thing of SARS(2003) and it reached Nigeria, NOTHING HAPPENED
Similar was said of flu...NOTHING Happened
Now ebola... Nothing will happen
Our own Ebola is our leaders, we have been "managing them" since "only God Knows when" cheesy cheesy cheesy

You can't compare any of those children to ebola. Besides SARS never got to Nigeria.
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Litmus: 3:29pm On Jul 25, 2014
I wonder if he thought he could get medical help in Nigeria. Such a sad thing looking at his picture and wondering how his family most feel.

RIP
Re: Liberian Man With First Ebola Case In Nigeria Is Dead by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
Janetozi: plsssss, what kind of odi eshi do u have in mind?
Nigerians are special breed. Epidemics don't Kill us in numbers. During the flu era, I and my friends did not let go of available chickens, we eat to pleasure(despite some people having "pity"wink.
During the SARS era, I told my classmates that IF this SARS doesn't kill Nigeria, no epidemic will kill us. I stand by my position. Ebola will come and Go... Mark my word

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Shares Photos Of Her Amazing Body Transformation In Less Than A Year / Health: Some Medical Facts You Probably Dont Know / COVID-19: Participants At The Recent AVMCA Might Be Exposed, Should Self-Isolate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.