Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis (345213 Views)

Cushitic people the most beautiful people on Earth / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (80) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 24, 2014
Fulaman198: Bororojo, surbajo am, a yi'a ta gimol ngol?

ehyo, mi yi'yii ɗum, miɗo yiɗi yimde e mo.... gimol weelingol.
excuse me brother, you know there is a difference between Surbajo and Sobajo??
I think you are mixing both.... Surbajo means a young unmarried female, while Sobajo simply means a friend. I think you meant to use the latter.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:24pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bororojo:

ehyo, mi yi'yii ɗum, miɗo yiɗi yimde e mo.... gimol weelingol.
excuse me brother, you know there is a difference between Surbajo and Sobajo??
I think you are mixing both.... Surbajo means a young unmarried female, while Sobajo simply means a friend. I think you meant to use the latter.

Bad spelling brother sorry

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2014
Takamba:
Once again I'm not talking for every Tukulor. I don't think that they dislike Fulani, it's just the way they are.
Do you know that El Hadj Omar Tall fought against the Fulani of Hamdallaye in Mali, and the latter had to ally themselves with the Bambara to fight the Tukulor.
To Tukulor people, nedo ko bandoum is more important than everything. They like very much their culture and their customs which is a good thing. I don't know how they act when they are with foreign Fulani, but they don't act anyhow toward fulani, they can despise people but they are very correct and respectful people too. And I don't know somewhere else but in Senegal Tukulor call themselves haal pulaar, not pullo. Some of them would even correct you if you call them pullo.
I think that one of the reason of that feeling of superiority is because they and the Soninke were the first islamized people in Senegal. They also, at the difference of the Fulani (at least in Senegal) established powerful and well organized kingdoms. Futa Tooro kingdoms and dynasties were mostly Tukulor. When at that time the majority of Senegal Fulas were nomad and did not have organized kingdoms.
They prefer to stick to themselves. They are just not pro melting pot, but paradoxically they are somehow the product of a melting pot.
They contributed hugely to Senegal culture and history, almost all Wolof marabouts and religious figures are Tukulor by origin.

The odd thing between Fulbe and Tukulor is that the latter are usually called Pullo Torodo and in plural Fulbe Torobe. I know this because Dinguiraye, Guinea is one of their cities. The use of the word Tukulor to describe them was brought by the French who saw differences in their physical appearance with the other Fulbe. Take the Sullubawa Fulani of Northern Nigeria, they are of Tukulor descent but why do they refer to themselves as Fulani exclusively?
As far as the organized kingdoms are concerned, the nomadic Fulbe under Koli Tenguella established the Denianke kingdom A.K.A The Empire of Great Pullo by the Portuguese in 1490 and lasted till 1776. It encompassed present day Futa Toro and part of Futa Jallon. This "Yette Ba" (like me wink) dynasty followed an African religion at the time and used to be in conflict with the Muslim Fulas. Tierno Monenembo of Guinea actually wrote a book entitled "Peuls" where he mentioned how Fulbe used to look down upon their brothers that practiced the religion of the "Moors" as they called it back then. It is the rise of Islam in the region that brought the demise of the empire with Souleymane Baal and Abdoul Kader Kane as the leaders of what should be called an Islamic revolution. The Torobe were a sort of political party (or caste) in those days. The name was given to them because the Quranic teachers would send their Talibe(students) to beg thus Torobe(beggers).

The real conflict between Umar Tall and the other Fulanis was due to the fact that he wanted to spread the Tijāniyyah sufi tariqa in West Africa and met resistance with those of the Qadriya and other brotherhoods. In fact, on his way back home from Mecca he made a stop in Sokoto where he made a bid for power. When the brother of Uthman Dan Fodio, Abdullahi died, El Hadj Umar produced a letter in front of the council claiming power according to Abdullahi's wishes. Muhammed Bello, the son of Dan Fodio told him that the Caliphate was founded by his father, not by Abdullahi and that he should leave their territory. When he went to Futa Toro(his home) he was rejected there too. So he went to Futa Jallon where Almamy Umaru was warned not to welcome him. That's why he was sent to Dinguiraye. As long as he waged war on the Bambara of Segu, it was all good, they didn't have a problem with it.
As for the resentment Torobe might have toward other Fulanis, I think it is due to how traditional and endogamic they are. They REALLY love their culture. I remember I once went on a summer vacation to Dakar where I would go to stores (mostly owned by Fulanis or Fulfulde speakers) and speak french. Recognizing that I am a Pullo, they would automatically ask me if I can't speak my language. smiley. They are all sedentary while some other Fulas are nomads so there are some conflicts related to land. This economic factor is in my opinion the biggest factor.
But overall, I think there is much love between the two. Baba Maal refers to ALL of us as Fula. Plus politicians of "Tukulor" and Fulani descents have been opposed to grouping the two differently in the national census. So they are all grouped under "Fula" today. I love it, it destroys the distinction brought by the colonialists.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 6:55pm On Aug 25, 2014
Omarbah:

The odd thing between Fulbe and Tukulor is that the latter are usually called Pullo Torodo and in plural Fulbe Torobe. I know this because Dinguiraye, Guinea is one of their cities. The use of the word Tukulor to describe them was brought by the French who saw differences in their physical appearance with the other Fulbe. Take the Sullubawa Fulani of Northern Nigeria, they are of Tukulor descent but why do they refer to themselves as Fulani exclusively?
As far as the organized kingdoms are concerned, the nomadic Fulbe under Koli Tenguella established the Denianke kingdom A.K.A The Empire of Great Pullo by the Portuguese in 1490 and lasted till 1776. It encompassed present day Futa Toro and part of Futa Jallon. This "Yette Ba" (like me wink) dynasty followed an African religion at the time and used to be in conflict with the Muslim Fulas. Tierno Monenembo of Guinea actually wrote a book entitled "Peuls" where he mentioned how Fulbe used to look down upon their brothers that practiced the religion of the "Moors" as they called it back then. It is the rise of Islam in the region that brought the demise of the empire with Souleymane Baal and Abdoul Kader Kane as the leaders of what should be called an Islamic revolution. The Torobe were a sort of political party (or caste) in those days. The name was given to them because the Quranic teachers would send their Talibe(students) to beg thus Torobe(beggers).

The real conflict between Umar Tall and the other Fulanis was due to the fact that he wanted to spread the Tijāniyyah sufi tariqa in West Africa and met resistance with those of the Qadriya and other brotherhoods. In fact, on his way back home from Mecca he made a stop in Sokoto where he made a bid for power. When the brother of Uthman Dan Fodio, Abdullahi died, El Hadj Umar produced a letter in front of the council claiming power according to Abdullahi's wishes. Muhammed Bello, the son of Dan Fodio told him that the Caliphate was founded by his father, not by Abdullahi and that he should leave their territory. When he went to Futa Toro(his home) he was rejected there too. So he went to Futa Jallon where Almamy Umaru was warned not to welcome him. That's why he was sent to Dinguiraye. As long as he waged war on the Bambara of Segu, it was all good, they didn't have a problem with it.
As for the resentment Torobe might have toward other Fulanis, I think it is due to how traditional and endogamic they are. They REALLY love their culture. I remember I once went on a summer vacation to Dakar where I would go to stores (mostly owned by Fulanis or Fulfulde speakers) and speak french. Recognizing that I am a Pullo, they would automatically ask me if I can't speak my language. smiley. They are all sedentary while some other Fulas are nomads so there are some conflicts related to land. This economic factor is in my opinion the biggest factor.
But overall, I think there is much love between the two. Baba Maal refers to ALL of us as Fula. Plus politicians of "Tukulor" and Fulani descents have been opposed to grouping the two differently in the national census. So they are all grouped under "Fula" today. I love it, it destroys the distinction brought by the colonialists.

Yah that's what I thought to....I agree all the other Fulanis have been disagreeing with me. I heard the song "Sira" by Rahmane Diallo and he refers to the Tukulor as the 'Toroobe". Thank you for confirming.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2014
Omarbah:

I'm so proud to be a Fulani to know all these things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h84TA9LVh80
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 12:07am On Aug 26, 2014
Hey Suka Pullo, since you love traditional music, I got this song here for you. It's
a song by Doura Barry. It uses some modern instruments but the setting is rural. Give a "listen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcp5z0jWoA

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 4:06am On Aug 26, 2014
[quote author=Omarbah]

There is an ongoing debate about the origin of the name Tukuloor, some say it is a deformation of ''tout couleurs'' (all colors) a denomination the French gave them not because of their differences with other Fulbe but because because of the different hues of their skin which was kinda rare among one ethnic group (some Tukuloor are very light and others darker, while most of the Wolof or Sereer are dark for example).
A more plausible explanation is that Toukouleur is a deformation of Tekrour or Tekrouri (inhabitant of the Tekrour empire), the kingdom that preceded Fuuta Tooro in Northern Senegal.
To conclude what is the exact origin of the denomination of Tukuloor, it's just like the origin of the name Senegal, nobody really knows. undecided
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 4:57am On Aug 26, 2014
Omarbah:
e and Tukulor is that the latter are usually called Pullo Torodo and in plural Fulbe Torobe. I know this because Dinguiraye, Guinea is one of their cities

-Yes, just like in Mali, El Hadj Omar brought his Tukuloor troops there. I know a Tukuloor guy from Guinea, El Hadj Omar was really a panafricanist who was ahead on his time. But in origin Tukuloor are from Fuuta which is Senegal and Mauritania, most of those who emigrated to Mali and Guinea did it in the 19th century to follow el hadj Omar.

The odd thing between Fulbd Tukulor is that the latter are usually called Pullo Torodo and in plural Fulbe Torobe. I know this because Dinguiraye, Guinea is one of their cities. The use of the word Tukulor to describe them was brought by the French who saw differences in their physical appearance with the other Fulbe. Take the Sullubawa Fulani of Northern Nigeria, they are of Tukulor descent but why do they refer to themselves as Fulani exclusively?
As far as the organized kingdoms are concerned, the nomadic Fulbe under Koli Tenguella established the Denianke kingdom A.K.A The Empire of Great Pullo by the Portuguese in 1490 and lasted till 1776.

-That's exact and almaamy Abdul Kader Kane overthrew the last animist satigui (fulani king) of Fuuta to establish the Torobe revolution.

It encompassed present day Futa Toro and part of Futa Jallon.

-Exact, Koli was himself from Futa Jallon

This "Yette Ba" (like me wink) dynasty followed an African religion at the time and used to be in conflict with the Muslim Fulas. Tierno Monenembo of Guinea actually wrote a book entitled "Peuls"

-I have read Peuls of Monenembo, good book.

where he mentioned how Fulbe used to look down upon their brothers that practiced the religion of the "Moors" as they called it back then. It is the rise of Islam in the region that brought the demise of the empire with Souleymane Baal and Abdoul Kader Kane as the leaders of what should be called an Islamic revolution. The T[b]orobe were a sort of political party (or caste)[/b]

-Actually Abdul Kader Kane wanted to suppress the inegalitarian caste system among tukuloors. The interesting thing is that he became almaamy (he was the first almaamy) by vote, he was against the monarchic dynasty that was established by the Denianke. The Torobe (singular torodo) are thus as you said a cast of scholars, and almaamy Kane invited anybody who was a scholar to join the Torobe. Meaning that a scholar from the caste of the blacksmiths could be a torodo and live with the earnings of his teachings instead being at the smithy. A lot of people used (in the good sense) that system to elevate themselves in the social hierarchy.
An ex: El Hadj Omar family, who at the origin were not Torodo.

in those days. The name was given to them because the Quranic teachers would send their Talibe(students) to beg thus Torobe(beggers).

The real conflict between Umar Tall and the other Fulanis was due to the fact that he wanted to spread the Tijāniyyah sufi tariqa in West Africa and met resistance with those of the Qadriya and other brotherhoods.

-He also wanted a kingdom for posterity, in my opinion. I heard he is not really liked in Mali, especially among the Bambara lol, but he is loved in Fuuta. You should read Segu of Maryse Conde if you haven't yet, it's a novel but an excellent one and she describes very brightly the episode where El Hadj Omar took Segu and El Hadj Omar as a person himself

In fact, on his way back home from Mecca he made a stop in Sokoto where he made a bid for power. When the brother of Uthman Dan Fodio, Abdullahi died, El Hadj Umar produced a letter in front of the council claiming power according to Abdullahi's wishes. Muhammed Bello, the son of Dan Fodio told him that the Caliphate was founded by his father, not by Abdullahi and that he should leave their territory. When he went to Futa Toro(his home) he was rejected there too.

-Ahaha the Tukuloor mentality, he was not from a ruler class. cheesy. Nobody is a prophet in his own land. Despite that he conquered an empire.

So he went to Futa Jallon where Almamy Umaru was warned not to welcome him. That's why he was sent to Dinguiraye. As long as he waged war on the Bambara of Segu, it was all good, they didn't have a problem with it.
As for the resentment

-That's a big word lol. I don't think there is a resentment between Toukouleur and Fulani, Torobe are just a caste among the Toucouleur. If there is a resentment it should be the other way around.

Torobe might have toward other Fulanis, I think it is due to how traditional and endogamic they are. They REALLY love their culture. I remember I once went on a summer vacation to Dakar where I would go to stores (mostly owned by Fulanis or Fulfulde speakers)

-Are you a fulani from Guinea? Most of the stores are owned by Guinean fulanis

and speak french. Recognizing that I am a Pullo, they would automatically ask me if I can't speak my language. smiley. They are all sedentary while some other Fulas are nomads so there are some conflicts related to land. This economic factor is in my opinion the biggest factor.
But overall, I think there is much love between the two. Baba Maal refers to ALL of us as Fula.

-It is the same people, Macky Sall has a toucouleur name but I have heard that he is Fulani, not Toucouleur. It's really the same people, the thing is that Senegal is a country of castes, everything is stratified, especially among haal pulaar.
Besides that Baaba Maal is an artist, he has to please everybody lol.

Plus politicians of "Tukulor" and Fulani descents have been opposed to grouping the two differently in the national census

-Really? Maybe in Mauritania, never heard such in Senegal, interesting...

So they are all grouped under "Fula" today. I love it, it destroys the distinction brought by the colonialists.

Yes in Senegal about 22% (official stats) are Peuls, Toucouleurs and Peuls included.

Great thread
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 7:44am On Aug 26, 2014
Omarbah: Hey Suka Pullo, since you love traditional music, I got this song here for you. It's
a song by Doura Barry. It uses some modern instruments but the setting is rural. Give a "listen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRcp5z0jWoA

Wonderful song my brother
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
Takamba:

Yes in Senegal about 22% (official stats) are Peuls, Toucouleurs and Peuls included.

Great thread
Yes, it's just that the Fulbe of Senegal didn't let it happen. Tidiane Anne, a former journalist at the RTS did everything to oppose it. They wanted to divide it in three groups, tukulor, Peuls, and Laobes.
Black people in Mauritania are divided. They all want to lead, specially our Fulbe brothers. Meanwhile the Haratins with their inferiority complex are often used by the Berbers/Arabs to weaken their initiatives. If they could all pick one candidate and push him for the presidency, they can succeed in electing him.
Macky Sall speaks and recognizes himself as "Pullo" for a reason. Not only it eliminates the use of Hal Pulaar( does not mean much, an Igbo or Hausa could be a Hal Pulaar) but it also brings back the language as Wolof is occupying more and more ground. If you are among Senegalese and speak Pulaar, notice how they will look at you. smiley It would be as if you committed a crime.
Yes I am a Pullo from Guinea. I was really surprised when I realized how many store owners and businessmen in Senegal were Fulbe from Guinea. They truly struggled to get there. The values of the Pulagu are universal. They help you succeed everywhere you go and in harsh conditions too.
Thanks for recommending me the book. I'll try to get a hold of you as soon as I can.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2014
Omarbah:
Yes, it's just that the Fulbe of Senegal didn't let it happen. Tidiane Anne, a former journalist at the RTS did everything to oppose it. They wanted to divide it in three groups, tukulor, Peuls, and Laobes.
Black people in Mauritania are divided. They all want to lead, specially our Fulbe brothers. Meanwhile the Haratins with their inferiority complex are often used by the Berbers/Arabs to weaken their initiatives. If they could all pick one candidate and push him for the presidency, they can succeed in electing him.
Macky Sall speaks and recognizes himself as "Pullo" for a reason. Not only it eliminates the use of Hal Pulaar( does not mean much, an Igbo or Hausa could be a Hal Pulaar) but it also brings back the language as Wolof is occupying more and more ground. If you are among Senegalese and speak Pulaar, notice how they will look at you. smiley It would be as if you committed a crime.
Yes I am a Pullo from Guinea. I was really surprised when I realized how many store owners and businessmen in Senegal were Fulbe from Guinea. They truly struggled to get there. The values of the Pulagu are universal. They help you succeed everywhere you go and in harsh conditions too.
Thanks for recommending me the book. I'll try to get a hold of you as soon as I can.

I will keep the bolded in mind.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 10:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Don't let them know you are Nigerians. Just approach them as if you were Senegalese and speak Pulaar.
It'd be perfect if you had another Fula brother with you.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 2:26am On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah: Don't let them know you are Nigerians. Just approach them as if you were Senegalese and speak Pulaar.

Lol, what would happen if he let them know that he is Nigerian? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 2:27am On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah: Don't let them know you are Nigerians. Just approach them as if you were Senegalese and speak Pulaar.

Besides that the Pulaar spoken differs, I know when a Guinean Fula speaks, so people will know that he isn't Senegalese anyway.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 2:47am On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:
Lol, what would happen if he let them know that he is Nigerian? cheesy
It will ruin the the moment. wink I want him to see the look on their faces that's all. Senegalese tend not to like it when they see it one of their own speak Pulaar for some reason. The radio stations in Dakar used to boycott Baba Maal because he only sings in Pulaar. I go on Seneweb from time to time and Fulbe are often attacked for "liking" to speak their language. I guess the Wolof want to dominate them in all ways which will not work. smiley

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah:
It will ruin the the moment. wink I want him to see the look on their faces that's all. Senegalese tend not to like it when they see it one of their own speak Pulaar for some reason. The radio stations in Dakar used to boycott Baba Maal because he only sings in Pulaar. I go on Seneweb from time to time and Fulbe are often attacked for "liking" to speak their language. I guess the Wolof want to dominate them in all ways which will not work. smiley

Yeah I agree Nigerians don't have a good reputation there. It's not the whole Senegalese, as you said it's the Wolof who don't like people speak anything but Wolof.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 5:30pm On Aug 27, 2014

ROFLLLLL I agree
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 5:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:

Yeah I agree Nigerians don't have a good reputation there. It's not the whole Senegalese, as you said it's the Wolof who don't like people speak anything but Wolof.

But where is the freedom? I am a Pullo Dimo for life
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
Fulaman198:
But where is the freedom? I am a Pullo Dimo for life
that's the thing, other ethnic groups are abandoning their language to embrace wolof. Serers like
Youssou N'Dour only speak Wolof. But the Fulbe refused to do so therefore they are branded as "racists".
Some Wolof would tell you that a Torodo is more racist than a white person just because the former loves and embraces his
identity and does not want to let go of it.
The war in Casamance is in part due to it, the Wolofs pushing their language and culture on the Diolas.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 6:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah:
that's the thing, other ethnic groups are abandoning their language to embrace wolof. Serers like
Youssou N'Dour only speak Wolof. But the Fulbe refused to do so therefore they are branded as "racists".
Some Wolof would tell you that a Torodo is more racist than a white person just because the former loves and embraces his
The war in Casamance is in part due to it, the Wolofs pushing their language and culture on the Diolas.

I will just have to add something here because I see that the word Torodo is used all the time here. Torodo is not synonymous to Toucouleur. Torodo or Torobes, Bailo, Ceddo, Bambado, Diawando or even Maccudo are just castes or social stratifications among Toucouleur or Haalpular people. Just a little clarification to avoid confusion.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 6:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:

I will just have to add something here because I see that the word Torodo is used all the time here. Torodo is not synonymous to Toucouleur. Torodo or Torobes, Bailo, Ceddo, Bambado, Diawando or even Maccudo are just castes or social stratifications among Toucouleur or Haalpular people. Just a little clarification to avoid confusion.
Got it.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 6:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah:

To me the war in Casamance is just a mafia driven by some Diola rebels. Even Diola people are fed up by the rebellion, notice all the ethnic groups living in Casamance: Diola, Peuls, Bainouks, Mandinkas, Balantes. And yet the MFDC (the rebellion movement) is only composed of Diolas. Because the other ethnic group of Casamance do not care. It's just a scam.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:

To me the war in Casamance is just a mafia driven by some Diola rebels. Even Diola people are fed up by the rebellion, notice all the ethnic groups living in Casamance: Diola, Peuls, Bainouks, Mandinkas, Balantes. And yet the MFDC (the rebellion movement) is only composed of Diolas. Because the other ethnic group of Casamance do not care. It's just a scam.
The cultural differences, Dialas being most animists, the fact that their region is more fertile that the other parts of Senegal and also the presence of the other groups coming from the North to farm on their land pose problems.
I think the Diolas truly feel marginalized and ostracized by the other groups. Wolofs and Fulbe have at least something in common, Islam.
The resistance is not intense though I must admit.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 6:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah:

What they don't understand is that embracing one's language and wanting to maintain your own culture has nothing to even do with racism. It's like the French or English telling Africans that they MUST absolutely speak only French or English or they will be branded as racists for speaking their native tongue. Someone needs to tell the Wolof's that. It truly doesn't make sense. It's as if the Fulani speaking population in Senegal is forced to do something they want to do.

I can now see why the Toroobe keep to themselves. If anything no offence to the Wolof, they seem to be acting a bit 'tribalist' by attempting to enforce their own language on non-Wolof.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 6:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
Interesting information from Takamba and OmarBah. Thank you so much, please continue to contribute.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 7:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
Fulaman198:

What they don't understand is that embracing one's language and wanting to maintain your own culture has nothing to even do with racism. It's like the French or English telling Africans that they MUST absolutely speak only French or English or they will be branded as racists for speaking their native tongue. Someone needs to tell the Wolof's that. It truly doesn't make sense. It's as if the Fulani speaking population in Senegal is forced to do something they want to do.

I can now see why the Toroobe keep to themselves. If anything no offence to the Wolof, they seem to be acting a bit 'tribalist' by attempting to enforce their own language on non-Wolof.

That term sha! embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 7:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:

That term sha! embarassed cry
Just wondering are you Senegalese?
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 7:15pm On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah:
Just wondering are you Senegalese?

Yes I am.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 7:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:

Yes I am.
nanga def ? smiley
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 7:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
Fulaman198:

The thing is we (Wolofs) are the majority, 46% of the population. We had the greatest kingdoms, our music is the best, we dress better and our food is the best! We poppin cheesy

That's why in Sereer villages they prefer cooking thieb or wolof couscous instead of their sereer couscous. In Fulani village people who can afford it eat Wolof rice, it's so much better than latchiri haako ahaha! We the best!
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Takamba: 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
Omarbah:
nanga def ? smiley

Mangui Fi rek. smiley
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 7:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
Takamba:

The thing is we (Wolofs) are the majority, 46% of the population. We had the greatest kingdoms, our music is the best, we dress better and our food is the best! We poppin cheesy

That's why in Sereer villages they prefer cooking thieb or wolof couscous instead of their sereer couscous. In Fulani village people who can afford it eat Wolof rice, it's so much better than latchiri haako ahaha! We the best!
there we go, it's like seneweb.com. Mbalax which is pretty much what Senegalese music is, has Serer origins. As for the kingdoms, I think it's debatable. Let's start with Takrur which flourished at the same time as the Empire of Ghana and gave its name to pretty every single west African going to Arab lands. The Imamate of Futa Toro was one of the most well organized and disciplined in the history of this continent. And it is truly a blueprint for a future Islamic state if there is one to rise on this part of the continent.
Faidherbe had much praise for the organizing skills of the Fulbe.
I love Wolofs, I ain't got no problem with them. But they should be comfortable with others speaking a different language. Just because Mande, Diola and Serer willingly accept Wolof and let go of theirs doesn't mean Fulbe have to do it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (80) (Reply)

Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.