Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:56 PM

'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' (9073 Views)

God In Heaven Where Is Thy Face? This Is Just The Height Of It.. / Honour Thy Mother And Father: What Does This Mean To You? / We The Mothers Of This Country Place A Curse On The Land Of Aluu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by pickabeau1: 9:49am On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: There you are.
I didn't say any system was better. smiley

I only pointed out the flaws in ours.

I don't have the link to that thread. As coogar.

No madam.. you pointed out the flaws using an extreme example of abuse
Anyway for someone who believes in one touch or none(any spanking is abuse).. then the extreme is normal to you

As i said, spanking still happens in your beloved western world and i dont see u accuse them of being abusive
wink
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by babygirlfl: 9:51am On Jul 31, 2014
damiso:

I believe Nigerians esp those of us who call ourselves people of faith need a reorientation. While I agree that abusive marital relationships are an issue I think its a byproduct of being a very authoritian society.Ask that madam who abuses her house girl its discpline, ask the man who beats his wife its discpline, ask the soldier who slaps okada rider its discpline, ask the oga who shouts at his driver calls him idi.ot its displine.

A person in authority can never be questioned. That is the bane of our society and even though the western model on the other hand allows too many liberties, we as a people need to find a balance.

Very true. You just summarised one big problem in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 31, 2014
which kind long essay be dis one na, hw did dis make first page ? abeg what is the new price of garri ijebu. help
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 31, 2014
zboyd: A Nigerian based in South Africa has expressed her view on the issue of having a fair share in the "parent-child-discord". The author reveals her odd relationship with her mum, asserting that a good number of Nigerian parents are the root of many evil-rooted thoughts of their children towards them.

Do Nigerian Parents Exert Too Much Authority Over Their Children?
By Folakemi Ibrahim

In light of the story about 21-year old Tolani Ajayi (pictured below), a student of the Department of History and International Relations, Redeemer University, RCCG Camp, Ogun State who killed his father on Tuesday July 3rd, I will like to share a little bit of my story to educate many parents on the dangers of abusing their power and authority over their children. I believe there are a lot of people with stories similar like mine will have the courage to speak out after they read my story, and they will also realize that they are not alone in their experience.

While the action of the RCCG student was despicable and evil, the truth of what led to it may never be known, but I believe there is an opportunity for a lot of people to learn from that unfortunate story about how parents can sometimes push their children to the extreme limits. While my experience did not end up a tragedy as that of this unfortunate young man, I believe it might have had the same underlying tone and pattern.

I am a 40-year-old successful woman who is based in South Africa. I’m happily married to a wonderful man and just had a bouncing baby girl. I have a good life and I love my life, but the only thorn in my life is my relationship with my mother. I grew up having a very toxic relationship with my mum, a relationship that soured after her divorce from my dad while I was a child. After the divorce my mother took all the children with her and for some reason singled me out by physically and emotionally abusing me repeatedly. She believed I had a lot in common with my dad, whom she hated with a passion.

I grew up in a home where my mother will call me various malicious names, and repeatedly tell me I will not amount to anything in life. She once told me she wishes she had aborted me when she was pregnant. I remember being chased out of the house as a teenager and left to sleep outside alone overnight for not properly doing house chores.

This toxic relationship endured into my adulthood. I grew up never having the opportunity to have all the beautiful things a relationship with one’s mother can bring; every time something great was happening in my life my mother was always there around the corner to “pour sand in it”. She went as far as cancelling my wedding a few times because I would not invite one of her friends to it. She has managed to destroy every meaningful relationship I have with all my siblings and extended family members by telling lies about me and going on a campaign of ensuring I am cut off from everyone. All attempts over the years by family members to show her that she was being malicious to me went on deaf ears. She spent most of the discussions denying everything and convincing everyone that I am a liar.

I have personally approached her on several occasions to see if I could get her to change but that also failed. Not too long ago she claimed that she came to visit my family and, since I was pregnant with my daughter and close to delivery, my mother was always around and almost destroyed my marriage by sowing seeds of discord between me and my husband. She went as far as gossiping about me with everyone that cared to listen. This included my friends and neighbours. It became so stressful for me that I couldn’t take it anymore. She did not even consider that I was heavily pregnant.

One fateful day I told her she had to leave out of my house and my life before she manages to destroy the best things in my life. Until she repents and realizes the errors in her ways, I was not willing to relate with her again. While it was disheartening for me to take that action it was the most liberating thing I have ever done. Rather than repent, my mother ha again has gone on a campaign of letting her minions know that I “chased” her out of my home and that I’m so ungrateful after all she had done for me. Sometimes when you push a child to the wall you never know what they might do, while I could never dream of killing my mum, the anger and rage she evoked in me could have easily led me to a dark place, if not for the grace of God.

The general idea of a mother is someone who is nurturing and ever loving. My experience have been far from that. There are things my mother did that I cannot even add to this write-up. A lot of Nigerian parents do not know anything about parenting a child; their mentality is that you should raise a child the way your parents raised you. This approach involves flogging the child and abusing him/her emotionally, as one wishes; there is nothing systematic to it. While some of these children grow up and forgive their parents, even going as far as replicating their upbringing on their own kids, some realize that things could have been different and are willing to stop the cycle.

Do you agree with this author's point of view?

Source: naij.com

First of all, I find that title a little off.

Secondly, I empathize with you on your childhood. I can't begin to imagine how traumatic it must have been.

Having said that, I want to make you realize something. How a parent decides to bring up a child is entirely the parents business. Its their child so only the parent can decide that.

A parent can only bring up a child in the best way they know how. If a parent thinks that a certain way is best for the child, of course you should expect that that will be the way the child will be raised. You were raised the way you were raised and of course you felt badly about it. No parent wants what is bad for their children, although there are some exceptions. But what then do you say about a parent who had an upbringing that included methods such as flogging and some name calling, but that also had a good dose of tender love and care and believes strongly that his good name today was as a result of that king of upbringing? Of-course you can expect such a method to continue.

Reality is, there is no parent who is currently a serving parent (parents who still have their kids under their roof) that is a good parent. The only people who make good parents are those who have served their time and are no longer parents. You can only be a good parent in retrospect. You are imperfect and as such will make several wrong calls. Wrong calls that will not go down well with your kids. Wrong calls that your kids will hold you by and probably judge you as good or bad. Even the methods you advocate now may one day be termed wrong in some quarters just as you are doing to some methods of parents in the past. A parent can only raise a kid in the best they know how. Remember that parents face a lot of pressures in life and sometimes those pressures may interfere. You cannot expect it not to because afterall, they are only human.
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Silensa(m): 10:25am On Jul 31, 2014
A lot of Nigerian
parents do not know anything about parenting a
child; their mentality is that you should raise a child the way your parents raised you. This approach involves flogging the child and abusing him/her emotionally, as one wishes; there is nothing systematic to it.

I conducted a survey on this matter and out of 10 children that I came across only 1 complained about the attitude of the parents. Where did you get your own statistics? By the way Africans employ the method of SANATIO IN RADICE whereby a child is punished severely once he/she commits an offence, frankly speaking I don't see anything wrong in it.

sorry for your pain if and only if ......
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by cococandy(f): 10:36am On Jul 31, 2014
You're 'incorrigible'. smiley

Enjoy having the last word

pickabeau1:

No madam.. you pointed out the flaws using an extreme example of abuse
Anyway for someone who believes in one touch or none(any spanking is abuse).. then the extreme is normal to you

As i said, spanking still happens in your beloved western world and i dont see u accuse them of being abusive
wink

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by TV01(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy:
The rod of the bible doesn't literally mean a physical rod.

Holá

Please expantiate here. What is your understanding of what the Bible says regards corporal punishment?

TV
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 31, 2014
Hmmm reading dat tale for me was sad but it happens, the woman is a witch am sure cos most nigerian women would die for dere kids(my mum no 1). Seriously the problem we have with naija parents is not d flogging cos to some extent flogging corrects but its the following up dat shuld mata, I used to teach in a second skul, most parents go to work come bak late, have no connections wit d kids nd wen u hear d child did somfin u pick up a cane nd start showing ur talent.
Things r not done dat way, parents shuld have gud communication wit children, teach d child abt sex, menstruation etc den wen u c the child erring u can flog cos uve talked to him/her abt it, not flogging wen u haven't done ur home work.
I have a 10 year old I can't rem d last time I flogged him I bliv in dialogue cos I shout a lot, wen am angry so wen he errs I shout nd send him inside sieze his playthings after a while cos nobody is above mistakes I call him have a moda/son talk nd we laff dats how it shuld be. My 2cents
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by myspnigeria: 10:47am On Jul 31, 2014
Nice read
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by cococandy(f): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2014
I think beating/hitting/whipping isn't an ideal form of punishment.
For one they are pain and violence based.

We are expected to correct our children in/with love.
Inflicting pain can't be a good way to show love.

I didn't live in biblical times. But it is obvious that since flogging was a punishment for condemned criminals amd slaves,it can't be the same 'rod' that god was talking about when he said 'spared not the rod'

TV01:

Holá

Please expantiate here. What is your understanding of what the Bible says regards corporal punishment?

TV

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by olu77(m): 11:07am On Jul 31, 2014
winiwini: I DISAGREE!!!!

IF THERE ARE DOING TOO MUCH AND NAIJA IS LIKE THIS, WHAT WILL NOW HAPPEN IF THEY LESSEN IT?

We must always strike a balance. Discipline should always be carried out with love. Parents should relate with, counsell and guide their children with love and wisdom. Parents must ensure they understand their children's feelings. Some children require special attentions but parents who are ignorant just raise their hands and voices at every slight provocation.

I feel children who are not brought up with love are part of the reason we have robbers, kidnappers, terrorists etc

2 Likes

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by litetias(m): 11:07am On Jul 31, 2014
tmtech: I agree wif d Op to a reasonable extent...
I remember a Man in area when I was a child..He was so strict and wicked that he changed women like cloths, and he doesn't allow them to go with their children when they leave his home.... He had jst one male child whom he maltreated so much that he draged him on the floor whenever he flogged him... The boy doesn't go to school until after 9:30am..... There was a time he cut this boy wit a knife and and even pressed him wif Iron...at some point d boy was planning to attack his father(which if he did wud make the front page of news papers)..d boy eventually left home for the street..he is nw 24yrs with no meaningful life and yet his dad still blames him for his misfortune... There are some nigerian parents that go too far.... My parents never flogged me and trust me, I am so proud of who I turn out to be.... There is no substantial prove that flogging ur child makes him/her a well behaved child... There shud be a limit to d way u treat ur child... Once a child is broken, it is only God that can fix such child....
You're so right. My parents were very controlling when I was a child. That led to me losing my independent streak. Now an adult I feel broken like a camel. I guess some kids can experience such childhood and still be mentally tough enough to turn out well. I'm not one of such. The thing people should realise is that humans are not meant to be controlled. Like how taming a lion makes it loses its essence. I have found solace in God though, he loves me but still gives me free will.

2 Likes

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by litetias(m): 11:12am On Jul 31, 2014
olu77:

We must always strike a balance. Discipline must always be carried out with love. Parents should relate with, counsell and guide their children with love and ensure they understand their children's feelings. Some children require special attentions but parents who are ignorant just raise their hands and voices at every slight provocation.
True. Some children do require special attention. Parents are just too busy today to be invested in their child's life. Nigerian parents don't care to understand their children's feelings.

2 Likes

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2014
zboyd: A Nigerian based in South Africa has expressed her view on the issue of having a fair share in the "parent-child-discord". The author reveals her odd relationship with her mum, asserting that a good number of Nigerian parents are the root of many evil-rooted thoughts of their children towards them.

By Folakemi Ibrahim

In light of the story about 21-year old Tolani Ajayi (pictured below), a student of the Department of History and International Relations, Redeemer University, RCCG Camp, Ogun State who killed his father on Tuesday July 3rd, I will like to share a little bit of my story to educate many parents on the dangers of abusing their power and authority over their children. I believe there are a lot of people with stories similar like mine will have the courage to speak out after they read my story, and they will also realize that they are not alone in their experience.

While the action of the RCCG student was despicable and evil, the truth of what led to it may never be known, but I believe there is an opportunity for a lot of people to learn from that unfortunate story about how parents can sometimes push their children to the extreme limits. While my experience did not end up a tragedy as that of this unfortunate young man, I believe it might have had the same underlying tone and pattern.

I am a 40-year-old successful woman who is based in South Africa. I’m happily married to a wonderful man and just had a bouncing baby girl. I have a good life and I love my life, but the only thorn in my life is my relationship with my mother. I grew up having a very toxic relationship with my mum, a relationship that soured after her divorce from my dad while I was a child. After the divorce my mother took all the children with her and for some reason singled me out by physically and emotionally abusing me repeatedly. She believed I had a lot in common with my dad, whom she hated with a passion.

I grew up in a home where my mother will call me various malicious names, and repeatedly tell me I will not amount to anything in life. She once told me she wishes she had aborted me when she was pregnant. I remember being chased out of the house as a teenager and left to sleep outside alone overnight for not properly doing house chores.

This toxic relationship endured into my adulthood. I grew up never having the opportunity to have all the beautiful things a relationship with one’s mother can bring; every time something great was happening in my life my mother was always there around the corner to “pour sand in it”. She went as far as cancelling my wedding a few times because I would not invite one of her friends to it. She has managed to destroy every meaningful relationship I have with all my siblings and extended family members by telling lies about me and going on a campaign of ensuring I am cut off from everyone. All attempts over the years by family members to show her that she was being malicious to me went on deaf ears. She spent most of the discussions denying everything and convincing everyone that I am a liar.

I have personally approached her on several occasions to see if I could get her to change but that also failed. Not too long ago she claimed that she came to visit my family and, since I was pregnant with my daughter and close to delivery, my mother was always around and almost destroyed my marriage by sowing seeds of discord between me and my husband. She went as far as gossiping about me with everyone that cared to listen. This included my friends and neighbours. It became so stressful for me that I couldn’t take it anymore. She did not even consider that I was heavily pregnant.

One fateful day I told her she had to leave out of my house and my life before she manages to destroy the best things in my life. Until she repents and realizes the errors in her ways, I was not willing to relate with her again. While it was disheartening for me to take that action it was the most liberating thing I have ever done. Rather than repent, my mother ha again has gone on a campaign of letting her minions know that I “chased” her out of my home and that I’m so ungrateful after all she had done for me. Sometimes when you push a child to the wall you never know what they might do, while I could never dream of killing my mum, the anger and rage she evoked in me could have easily led me to a dark place, if not for the grace of God.

The general idea of a mother is someone who is nurturing and ever loving. My experience have been far from that. There are things my mother did that I cannot even add to this write-up. A lot of Nigerian parents do not know anything about parenting a child; their mentality is that you should raise a child the way your parents raised you. This approach involves flogging the child and abusing him/her emotionally, as one wishes; there is nothing systematic to it. While some of these children grow up and forgive their parents, even going as far as replicating their upbringing on their own kids, some realize that things could have been different and are willing to stop the cycle.

Your Case is that of hatred and not of strict correction. This case cannot be likened to the RCCG own. Your case is likely to end like that of the RCCG. Why the RCCG own ended that way is amusing and can only be traced to the effects of drug intake spiked up by strict correction

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by TV01(m): 11:24am On Jul 31, 2014
CC (ah, we now have two CC', Imma stick with Lottie grin),

You said this;
cococandy:
The rod of the bible doesn't literally mean a physical rod
And I asked that you substantiate this from the bible, using the "whole of scripture" - or as much as you know. Are you saying/teaching that the bible does not prescribe corporal punishment?

You have not answered directly. But posted the following, which I shall answer noting the fact you simply avoided the question.

cococandy: I think beating/hitting/whipping isn't an ideal form of punishment.
For one they are pain and violence based.
It's not mindless violence, its tempered corporal punishment, palms, buttocks etc. Not whipping an animal. Lottie, the use of emotive language does not a decent convo make. And the pain is warranted, to make a point and for the long-term good of the child.

Further, it's one of a range of possible sanctions, not necessarily used in every instance and yes, some kids may not need it ever. Is there an "ideal" form of punishment? If there was, surely it would mean that the child never offended again

cococandy:
We are expected to correct our children in/with love.
Inflicting pain can't be a good way to show love.
This is certainly not biblical, in fact it's contra-biblical.

Hebrews 12: 5 - 6 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

Your notion of non-judgemental, non-pain-inflicting love is not biblical. We all love our children and no one wants or plans to have to punish them. But we do it for their long-term good - even if they don't fully appreciate that.

I knew from way back that the "rod" would be an option in my home. My wife was strongly against it - Oga prevailed cool. Our son is high-energy and much more than a handfull.

I use the rod sparingly, and most times only as a deterrent. His mum prefers, the go to your room, naughty step, time out strategies. But now even she has recourse to the rod - even if only as a deterrent grin.

cococandy: I didn't live in biblical times. But it is obvious that since flogging was a punishment for condemned criminals amd slaves,it can't be the same 'rod' that god was talking about when he said 'spared not the rod'
I hold you in too high regard to believe you are'nt fully aware of what you are doing here cheesy.

TV

3 Likes

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by benedictjohn(m): 11:25am On Jul 31, 2014
PATIENCE OZOKWOR cheesy
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by tmtech: 11:37am On Jul 31, 2014
litetias:
You're so right. My parents were very controlling when I was a child. That led to me losing my independent streak. Now an adult I feel broken like a camel. I guess some kids can experience such childhood and still be mentally tough enough to turn out well. I'm not one of such. The thing people should realise is that humans are not meant to be controlled. Like how taming a lion makes it loses its essence. I have found solace in God though, he loves me but still gives me free will.

Bro, hold on tight to ur faith and be bold ...... Some pple argued that parents shud av the freedom to deal wif there children d way dey deem fit.... That is more like saying a ceo shud deal with his/her workers anyway he/she likes... Their shud be a standard.... There are different forms of punishment, I don't argue dat spanking is good or not ... It is part of punishment and it works too...however, I beliv if parents relate wif their children and lead by example, not by always tell dem to practise wat u say and not wat u do....the home shud be d safest (haven) place for a child...
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by winiwini: 11:39am On Jul 31, 2014
I YET DISAGREE PARTIALLY.

MANY CHILDREN OF THIS DAYS ARE VICTIM OF CYBER VIRUS, THINKING, IMAGINING UNREAL WORLD OF CHANNEL O, AND SEASONAL FILMS.

AS MUCH AS I WILL TO CONCUR WITH YOU, WE THE CHILDREN ALSO HAS A HUGE ROLL TO PLAY. EPH 6:1

olu77:

We must always strike a balance. Discipline should always be carried out with love. Parents should relate with, counsell and guide their children with love and wisdom. Parents must ensure they understand their children's feelings. Some children require special attentions but parents who are ignorant just raise their hands and voices at every slight provocation.

I feel children who are not brought up with love are part of the reason we have robbers, kidnappers, terrorists etc
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by pickabeau1: 11:41am On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: You're 'incorrigible'. smiley

Enjoy having the last word

im not enjoying anything.. you also are incorrigible which mind you is a proper word.
I wonder why you put it in quotes again...
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: Exactly.
The people in authority in each situation tend to downplay the gospel aimed at them and hype the ones that benefit them.

I'll NEVER hit my kids.
The rod of the bible doesn't literally mean a physical rod. And for all our high handedness,Nigerian kids aren't the best in the world. lipsrsealed undecided
see what am saying! When I opened a thread pointing out that the next after husband and wife relationship to be destroyed is the parent-child relationship, folks like you try to shun me. What do we have now? You guys already sowing the seed. Below is the thread I opened www.nairaland.com/1835544/feminists-children-dont-want-submit. It's even awful the way you feminists reason when you try to even quote from the bible whose doctrine you detest. Check out how you've changed the meaning of rod in the bible, same way the OP changed "honor thy father and thy mother..." to "honour thy children...".
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by brucelkelley: 11:53am On Jul 31, 2014
my best friend's mother-in-law makes $72 /hour on the internet . She has been laid off for six months but last month her payment was $21211 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this web-site......... angry............ WWW.WORKTIN.COM
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by pickabeau1: 11:55am On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy:
I didn't live in biblical times. But it is obvious that since flogging was a punishment for condemned criminals amd slaves,it can't be the same 'rod' that god was talking about when he said 'spared not the rod'

grin grin grin grin grin grin......

You are so funny
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin......

You are so funny
I thought I was the only one that noticed.
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by cococandy(f): 12:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
TV01: CC (ah, we now have two CC', Imma stick with Lottie grin),

You said this;

And I asked that you substantiate this from the bible, using the "whole of scripture" - or as much as you know. Are you saying/teaching that the bible does not prescribe corporal punishment?

there. Is corporal punishment restricted to flogging alone? Now you're assuming I think the bible is anti-punishment

You have not answered directly. But posted the following, which I shall answer noting the fact you simply avoided the question.

I didn't avoid it. I answered you based on my understanding which is what you wanted right?
Since flogging was for slaves and criminals during bible times,I'm safe to understand that the rod is t a literal one.

It's not mindless violence, its tempered corporal punishment, palms, buttocks etc. Not whipping an animal. Lottie, the use of emotive language does not a decent convo make. And the pain is warranted, to make a point and for the long-term good of the child.

so who regulates it? I've seen parents leave scars on their kids during 'corporal' punishment. It should be tempered true. But who's watching to know ensure that it doesn't get out of hand. They'll tell you 'it's my kid I can't kill it' but meanwhile they are causing serious damage.

Further, it's one of a range of possible sanctions, not necessarily used in every instance and yes, some kids may not need it ever. Is there an "ideal" form of punishment? If there was, surely it would mean that the child never offended again

well...I don't think there's an ideal one too. But if anyone to excludes some form of violence is ok by me.

This is certainly not biblical, in fact it's contra-biblical.

Hebrews 12: 5 - 6 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

I never insinuated that the bible is anti-punishment.

Your notion of non-judgemental, non-pain-inflicting love is not biblical. We all love our children and no one wants or plans to have to punish them. But we do it for their long-term good - even if they don't fully appreciate that.

physical pain? No. I don't subscribe..I don't doubt the love of parents who whip their kids. Everyone loves their kids(genrally speaking)

I knew from way back that the "rod" would be an option in my home. My wife was strongly against it - Oga prevailed cool. Our son is high-energy and much more than a handful.

well...

I use the rod sparingly, and most times only as a deterrent. His mum prefers, the go to your room, naughty step, time out strategies. But now even she has recourse to the rod - even if only as a deterrent grin.

I've wonderful ideas of what I could use as punishment. Let the kids come first grin
I know the rod didn't deter me. I don't trust that method.
Glad you know to use it sparingly.

I hold you in too high regard to believe you are'nt fully aware of what you are doing here cheesy.

and what might that be?

TV
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by cococandy(f): 12:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
I meant it in a light hearted way. Hence the quote.
pickabeau1:

im not enjoying anything.. you also are incorrigible which mind you is a proper word.
I wonder why you put it in quotes again...
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Truckpusher(m): 12:40pm On Jul 31, 2014

By Folakemi Ibrahim

In as much as some parents abuse their children all in the name of training and discipline let me also remind you that if not for those discipline most of us would have been in jail right now..........but the constant manual reset isn't a bad idea if genuinely applied.

#Teamsparetherodandspoilthechild# cool

Even as an adult my mom will stop at nothing to give you one lovely spank on the back if you misfire reminding you that you once had a captain . angry
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by hermosa(f): 12:53pm On Jul 31, 2014
yes.
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by sexybash(f): 3:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
@ David why don't you use the real rod so we know you followed the bible to the latter
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2014
Arsenate: this zboyd is a feminist with an anti family agenda on nairaland. I advice y'all to always read her thread with caution . just have that feeling that she is always up to no good.
loooooooool
Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. However, the words in the OP are very true. Many Nigerian parents don't know when to give their children their space. The trend is changing though, I know of none of my peers who's a monster to their kids.

Zboyd: when this story broke on nairaland, I asked why a man would repeatedly slap a 22year old boy for not attending church and I was demonised. I'm not saying it's ok to butcher your father for abusing you but, could it be that this young man had to endure such treatment since infancy?! Every human has a limit, unfortunately the reslut of this guy reaching his own limit was tragic.

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 31, 2014
freshdude2: Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. However, the words in the OP are very true. Many Nigerian parents don't know when to give their children their space. The trend is changing though, I know of none of my peers who's a monster to their kids.
Zboyd: when this story broke on nairaland, I asked why a man would repeatedly slap a 22year old boy for not attending church and I was demonised. I'm not saying it's ok to butcher your father for abusing you but, could it be that this young man had to endure such treatment since infancy?! Every human has a limit, unfortunately the reslut of this guy reaching his own limit was tragic.

Am so sure they would have attacked you with Bible scriptures and called you "Anti Christ"
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by uzamaose(m): 4:10pm On Jul 31, 2014
pls how do i change my username
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by killercute16(m): 4:37pm On Jul 31, 2014
MrRhymes101: its part of our African culture jare....it builds the children
It builds the children you say?,i dont tink so.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Medical Examination By Your Brother-In-Law: Right Or Wrong? / Lol. This Is A Perfect Definition Of Wife Material. (picture) / Elepaq Constant Or Sumec Firman 4.5kva

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.