Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' (8968 Views)

God In Heaven Where Is Thy Face? This Is Just The Height Of It.. / Honour Thy Mother And Father: What Does This Mean To You? / We The Mothers Of This Country Place A Curse On The Land Of Aluu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 31, 2014
killercute16: It builds the children you say?,i dont tink so.
explain
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by killercute16(m): 4:45pm On Jul 31, 2014
eighTHREAD: explain
I think u shd be the one explaining how beating or abusing "BUILDS"a child.
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
killercute16: I think u shd be the one explaining how beating or abusing "BUILDS"a child.
how do you correct a child who skips school just to go swim in the village stream even after scolding him verbally?
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by TV01(m): 5:09pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy:
No you haven't insinuated the Bible is anti-punishment, just that the bible does not prscribe "a literal rod" as a form of punishment. Further, you have implied that "flogging" = violence and also that it is a corrective measure for criminals, and the Bible does not prescribe that. It further implies that any that flog thier chldren are treating them like criminals.

Let's not be emotive. Wild unrrestrained beating is not being championed here. An appropriate use of a literal rod as a sanction for childish misbehaviour. Said use being measured and fully understood by the child, and only used as one as a possible range of measures. Possibly as a last resort or not at all if other measures prove effective.

Abuse of the child is not being mooted. All you have done is insist that any type of physical punishment is violent & abusive (and fit only for use on criminals) in order to shut down the conversation.

As ever, I don't dispute your ideology or your right to practice it as you see fit. My point being about what the bible does or does not say. Feel free to take your pick - from Proverbs alone;

Proverbs 13:24 - He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

Proverbs 22:15 - Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13 - Do not withhold correction from a child, For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 26:3 - A whip for the horse, A bridle for the donkey, And a rod for the fool's back.

Proverbs 29:15 - The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.

May our children never bring us shame, but unadulterated joy.

TV

3 Likes

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by cococandy(f): 5:18pm On Jul 31, 2014

May our children never bring us shame, but unadulterated joy.

TV

Amen
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by killercute16(m): 5:22pm On Jul 31, 2014
eighTHREAD: how do you correct a child who skips school just to go swim in the village stream even after scolding him verbally?
Communicating with him/her wont be bad or hire a psycologist to do his/her job.#my humble opinion#.

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
killercute16: Communicating with him/her wont be bad or hire a psycologist to do his/her job.#my humble opinion#.
psychologist? Smh! That's even given the child more feathers to his wings. A stroke of cane or two would do the job without cost. Spare the rod and spoil the child, except if you are not christian, perhaps a modernized one.

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
aisha2:

Am so sure they would have attacked you with Bible scriptures and called you "Anti Christ"
Of course na. One even asked if that's how I killed my father. grin

1 Like

Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
freshdude2: Of course na. One even asked if that's how I killed my father. grin
Wow, wow, people are nasty sha.

So many people moving around with pent up anger looking for who to vent on, instead of looking inwards and examining what is really and truly upsetting them
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Yemlizzy(f): 7:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
This is quite insightful,some Nigerian parents are so tough that they believe in taking the bull by the horn. Despite all,i believe that no reason whatsoever justifes the boy's action as to stabbing his father.
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
aisha2:
Wow, wow, people are nasty sha.

So many people moving around with pent up anger looking for who to vent on, instead of looking inwards and examining what is really and truly upsetting them
well, there's anger but more fundamentally is a bigoted myopic mindset. To them it was about the killing of a pastor, a man of God. What sacrilege! Never mind this man was slain by his own seed. They fail to be sensitive to the import of the story. How does a human being kill another, how does a person kill someone in their own home?! How does a person slice and dice their biological father. Could it be as a result of hidden or open mental imbalances. Could it be improper upbringing?! What exactly caused it. That's why we're where we are as a country, sentiments.

I strongly believe in the "physical" rod but I also believe in using it sparingly as Uncle TV. But slapping a 22 year old? The father brought that boy up in the wrong way. All he probably ever used was the rod and nothing else. The rod and rebuke go together. And by rebuke, I mean explaining, correcting, teaching, scolding not cursing and insulting.

In the words of Greatgod and TV01, "may God help us all and may our children bring us unadulterated joy." smiley
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by wildflower22(f): 2:45pm On Aug 01, 2014
I believe that there is a time for everything. There is a time to flog a child and a time to just talk sense into that child. There is what they call the formative years of a child(that is the foundation laying). Parents should be involved in their children during that time cos it what the child sees at that stage that the child takes in and that is what that child will grow on. For me you can flog a child and not an adult. Even when your child esp the boys become a teenager entering adulthood i dont think its wise to raise your hand on him or her rather you talk. Lets lay a good foundation for our children.
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by khiaa(f): 1:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
Arsenate: this zboyd is a feminist with an anti family agenda on nairaland. I advice y'all to always read her thread with caution . just have that feeling that she is always up to no good.
loooooooool

And the abuse continues. sad
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by bukatyne(f): 2:03pm On Aug 02, 2014
freshdude2: Of course na. One even asked if that's how I killed my father. grin

I just had to quote this...

LOL!

What was your reply?

@OP:

Trust the average Nigerian to see what they want to see even if they are dangling it in front of them grin

If the harsh/strict punishment has been working, our society will not be as it is except we all are saying that our society is morally upright. Afterall, our politicians, armed robbers, ritualists etc. are all products of the society (Maybe they are all the unbeaten/kids with lenient parents)

The average Nigerian does not train a kid anyways, we are more into the curative thing. When he child has almost gone bad, then we start beating like animals to salvage them.

Am not saying that beating is not sometimes needed; but we should learn to train our kids starting by the way we live our lives as parents. If we lie, steal, cheat, are unfaithful, refuse to uphold family values, maltreat our workers, are irresponsible etc and still think we can bring up 'good children' by flogging or been 'strict', then we are in for a long thing.

I challenge us to be worthy parents before we think of raising up worthy children
Re: 'Honor Thy Children That Thy Days May Be Long Upon The Land' by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 03, 2014
bukatyne:

I just had to quote this...

LOL!

What was your reply?

@OP:

Trust the average Nigerian to see what they want to see even if they are dangling it in front of them grin

If the harsh/strict punishment has been working, our society will not be as it is except we all are saying that our society is morally upright. Afterall, our politicians, armed robbers, ritualists etc. are all products of the society (Maybe they are all the unbeaten/kids with lenient parents)

The average Nigerian does not train a kid anyways, we are more into the curative thing. When he child has almost gone bad, then we start beating like animals to salvage them.

Am not saying that beating is not sometimes needed; but we should learn to train our kids starting by the way we live our lives as parents. If we lie, steal, cheat, are unfaithful, refuse to uphold family values, maltreat our workers, are irresponsible etc and still think we can bring up 'good children' by flogging or been 'strict', then we are in for a long thing.

I challenge us to be worthy parents before we think of raising up worthy children

I didn't reply him. grin Had a good laugh about it. Like you said, people see what they want. That's a level of silly even I would flee from.

Per the rest of your post? Very well said. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When Is Mother's Day Celebrated In Nigeria? / Why Are My Friends In Nigeria Always Asking Me For Money? / I'm Fed Up!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.