Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week (1665 Views)

What do you guys think about Donald Trump...(america Next Possible President) / Photos From PDP Presidential Campaign Rally in Sokoto, As Jonathan Visits Sultan / Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Comes Under Pressure To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2014
Washington Prepares to Host Meeting of African Leaders

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVISJULY 29, 2014

WASHINGTON — Federal officials have warned government employees here that the arrival next week of 50 African leaders — and their motorcades — will bring city traffic to a standstill during a two-day White House summit meeting about issues on the continent.

In an email to top officials at federal offices, the nation’s personnel chief urged agencies to let their workers stay at home during the event, which takes place next Tuesday and Wednesday. Traffic is also expected to be snarled on Monday and Thursday as the leaders arrive and leave.

“Agencies should consider encouraging employees who can be spared from their duties to request to adjust their work schedules,” Katherine Archuleta, the director of the Office of Personnel Management, wrote Friday in a memo.

The two-day gathering was arranged after President Obama visited Africa last year. Officials have said the summit meeting will focus on increasing trade and investment in Africa, improving security and building on the continent’s progress toward democracy.

The White House said that all African leaders who are “in good standing” with the United States and the African Union are included. The president did not invite President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe and President Omar Hassan al-Bashir of Sudan, among several others.

The leaders are invited to a reception on Capitol Hill on Monday evening, events at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on Tuesday morning, a dinner at the White House on Tuesday evening and a series of sessions with Mr. Obama on Wednesday. The first lady, Michelle Obama, and Laura Bush, the former first lady, will be the hosts of the African leaders’ spouses at a daylong symposium at the Kennedy Center.

Ms. Archuleta wrote that for now the federal government would remain open Monday through Thursday next week, but she advised federal employees to monitor local news outlets for announcements about potential street closings, disruptions to public transportation or a closing of the federal government.

Some of the leaders will be arriving from countries that are experiencing an outbreak of the Ebola virus, but officials at the White House and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday that the government was not taking any specific precautions.

“We believe air travel continues to be safe, and the C.D.C. has stated there is no significant risk in the United States from the current Ebola outbreak,” Edward Price, a spokesman for the White House National Security Council, said in an email.

The World Health Organization has said that the more than 1,000 cases of confirmed Ebola infection in the West African countries of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone represent the worst-ever outbreak of the deadly disease, a hemorrhagic fever that has no known cure and a death rate that approaches 90 percent.

A spokesman for the C.D.C. said procedures were already in place to stem the spread of Ebola, and flight crews and airline personnel will generally not allow a sick passenger to board a plane.

The spokesman, Jason McDonald, said, “There are no plans or indications that we’re going to take any additional precautions with the leaders who are coming.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/us/politics/washington-prepares-to-host-meeting-of-african-leaders.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=1

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2014
Hm! 50 odd African presidents and their wives, ''boy boys'' and bodyguards descending on the Beltway. I can imagine the traffic gridlock and disruptions it would cause. I hope that Nigeria is not among the countries who are being excluded from this meeting. If that is the case GEJ is Washington-bound, next week.

As I live in Washington DC, I will make out time to see if I can catch a glimpse of him and possibly ''protest'' against the insecurity in his land.

Mr. President, I have a little advise for you. Given that the topic of the meeting will center on the insecurity ravaging the continent, I believe Nigeria will take a center stage in the discussions, and that you are likely going to be asked to give a speech or make a press remark. One thing you must not do is to blame Islam and Muslims for the bombs going off everyday in northern Nigeria. You probably already know this, but in Washington DC, there is a culture of being ''politically correct''. Nigerians for the most part are known not to be able to imbibe the culture of political correctness. You must restrain yourself from telling the truth about Boko Haram and those behind it. You must call them a bunch of village Nigerians not affiliated with Islam. That way, you do not offend the Democratic party whose leader, your host, is in power at the WH, and who does everything possible to placate Muslims and Islam openly, even if they tacitly support the bombing of Gaza by Israel.

I wish you a good outing in DC, Mr President.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
On behalf of NL, I wishes them Safe journey.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by mascot87(m): 8:35pm On Jul 30, 2014
Would he be tested for Ebola?
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Kalvan: 8:40pm On Jul 30, 2014
The clueless imp has no business in my land of the free.

4 Likes

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:41pm On Jul 30, 2014
Kalvan: The clueless imp has no business in my land of the free.

Personal text: Igbos are evil.

''Land of the free'' indeed. Is it the same America or another? BTW, your personal text speaks volumes
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Kalvan: 8:43pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

''Land of the free'' indeed. Is it the same America or another?

Go and ask your father that question.

Omo ale jati jati.

4 Likes

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by NwaNimo1(m): 8:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
The 'puppets' have been summoned . .. .

(Long live 'Mugabe')

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
Kalvan:

Go and ask your father that question.

Omo ale jati jati.

How many people have been shot to death today? #guncontrolonmymind#
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:45pm On Jul 30, 2014
Kalvan: Personal text: Igbos are evil.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by aresa: 8:49pm On Jul 30, 2014
50 African incompetents and mumu dey go to headmaster's office...smh

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Kalvan: 8:50pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Is it a lie?!
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Kalvan: 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

How many people have been shot to death today? #guncontrolonmymind#

I'm against gun control. It goes against my 2nd amendment rights.

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
aresa: 50 African incompetents and mumu dey go to headmaster's office...smh
Exactly what I said to my colleagues over lunch a few hours ago. I was almost ''lynched'', guess by who? White Americans. They ''love'' us pass as we love ourselves.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 8:52pm On Jul 30, 2014
Kalvan:

I'm against gun control. It goes against my 2nd amendment rights.

Hopefully, you do not die by the gun you so much loveundecided undecided
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by thegoodone2(m): 8:53pm On Jul 30, 2014
okay
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Kalvan: 8:54pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

I won't, if congress does what's needed by passing legislation that allows more efficient checks before a gun is sold.

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 9:04pm On Jul 30, 2014
Kalvan:

I won't, if congress does what's needed by passing legislation that allows more efficient checks before a gun is sold.

Ok! I remember a few years ago, a Nairalander was killed by gun violence in Chicago. When it hits home, it is a sign that change is needed.

Which Congress? You are one of those moro...nic grin grin Republicans, I guess.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by ISpiksDaTroof: 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

Guns don't kill if no one pulls the trigger.

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 9:23pm On Jul 30, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: Guns don't kill if no one pulls the trigger.

If there is no trigger to pull, no one pulls it.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Brimmie(m): 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2014
The Dogs are visiting their Vet Doc. undecided
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by Kalvan: 9:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

Ok! I remember a few years ago, a Nairalander was killed by gun violence in Chicago. When it hits home, it is a sign that change is needed.

Which Congress? You are one of those moro...nic grin grin Republicans, I guess.

Do you think gun control will stop those guys from buying guns illegally? Illegal guns will always be sold. Gun control will affect normal citizens. I'm a realistic liberal democrat.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by ISpiksDaTroof: 9:38pm On Jul 30, 2014
AkinEgba:

If there is no trigger to pull, no one pulls it.
Usually, If there is no one threatening your life at the end of the barrel there'd be no need to pull the trigger.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by 9jahubcom(m): 9:41pm On Jul 30, 2014
the land is green
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by suwailad(f): 9:43pm On Jul 30, 2014
americans can be crazy, someone might just slip in a pistol and shoot that muda. . .
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 9:59pm On Jul 30, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: Usually, If there is no one threatening your life at the end of the barrel there'd be no need to pull the trigger.

Lies or at best half truths. Most of the mass shootings in America occurred under a situation where the shooter was not threatened by anyone. I dare you to name more than a few cases where the shooters were provoked to shoot.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 10:04pm On Jul 30, 2014
Kalvan:

Do you think gun control will stop those guys from buying guns illegally? Illegal guns will always be sold. Gun control will affect normal citizens. I'm a realistic liberal democrat.

Yes, at least those black brothers in Chicago, Oakland, Wilmington and Detroit will be spared of their lives.
Also, those sick white guys who kill people in malls and theaters will not have the chance, or have a minimized chance to do so.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by oldenglish: 10:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
I hope GEJ hat will fall out when nodding o'yes to whatever their master says.

America marrying Africa and Europe since Christopher Columbus era.

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by manny4life(m): 11:45pm On Jul 30, 2014
@AkinEgba,

Good argument.... I join in your support for gun control.. cool

1 Like

Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:55pm On Jul 31, 2014
AkinEgba:

Lies or at best half truths. Most of the mass shootings in America occurred under a situation where the shooter was not threatened by anyone. I dare you to name more than a few cases where the shooters were provoked to shoot.
Dude, shootings happen everyday, you're jumping to mass shootings while I'm talking of ordinary everyday occurrences that don't even make the news. Simple, if guns make you uneasy don't get one. If u feel you don't need it for protection then walk around with a flea-flicker maybe that'll scare the mugger that tries to rob you, you never know.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by tpia1: 11:39pm On Jul 31, 2014
One day one day, no be only ear I go take dey hear of nigeria's money, I go also see and experience am?

Currently, so far I've only heard nigeria has money, haven't experienced any nigeria money personally.
Re: As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week by AkinEgba: 11:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: Dude, shootings happen everyday, you're jumping to mass shootings while I'm talking of ordinary everyday occurrences that don't even make the news. Simple, if guns make you uneasy don't get one. If u feel you don't need it for protection then walk around with a flea-flicker maybe that'll scare the mugger that tries to rob you, you never know.

Mass shooting is more impactive. And that is typically unprovoked.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kwankwaso: Jonathan Is Ruthless, Intolerant / Would Buahari Accept Defeat This Time? / Jonathan Is Playing Politics With National Security — Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.