Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,562 members, 7,955,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:35 PM

Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? (9965 Views)

A Medium Onions Is More Expensive Than A Litre Of Petrol In PH! / Pls Amakaone And Co I Need A Healthy Food Time Table For My Family / How Can I Say No To Junk Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by virago(f): 8:15am On Jul 31, 2014
BedLam: It's not like much energy or money were spent on producing this healthy food. Junk food tend to have more killing ingredients. But why are they more cheaper? For instance:

A bottle of Eva water is sold for 100#. 50CL coke is sold for 70#, but why? (note, water is natural, not much production is needed except purification)

At a regular "bukka", vegetable soup is expensive than egusi but egusi is more expensive in the market.

Meat is cheaper than fish
Wheat bread is expensive than white bread.

Ofada rice is also expensive than "normal" rice. (cooked).

Please do not mislead people , a 75cl bottle of water goes for 50 naira while a 50cl bottle of coke goes for 70 naira.
A pot of vegetable soup is cheaper to make than an equal amount of egusi soup.
The kind of meat and fish depends on the amount. Shawa and cote is cheaper than any meat available ,
cost of producing wheat bread is higher than white bread so how do you expect it to be cheaper.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by 360command: 8:17am On Jul 31, 2014
greggng:

If only u can go to the market urself u will discover that women just dey scam men. Stock fish starts from 50naira but it looks like bone types but all I wanted is the smell in my soup .where I leave the smallest bottle of red oil is 30naira .market women can't cheat me infact they call me woman cos of my ability to bargain
how much is a pound or kilo of chicken - I mean the ones with thigh and drum stick?
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Pavore9: 8:18am On Jul 31, 2014
Be creative 2 eat well @ a bargain. l have an igbo woman l buy soup condiments frm in lagos l call her from kenya 2 help me buy egusi, ogbono, uziza, achi,crayfish, dried cocoyam @ oyingbo market @ cheaper price. she grounds all, my brother sends it
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by dsmooth1(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2014
Y z original stufz expensiv dan fake tinz Y doz a gud job pay beta mony nd wack jobs pay feedin allwanz,,,datz d ansa to ur qestion
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by makazona(m): 8:54am On Jul 31, 2014
Good soup,na money make am
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Pavore9: 8:57am On Jul 31, 2014
@greggng, l share ur view. Most guys when it comes to market women don't know how 2 bargain or feel shame doing so bt if u tear eye for them they will respect u. When those market women see a man, na maga dem dey see! Forget pride & haggle with dem!
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Badb0y4lyf(m): 9:25am On Jul 31, 2014
Pavore9: location is also a key factor. l live in nairobi where wheat and white bread go for the same price. l buy a 400g of wheatbread for N80 it is same price with the white bread. Back in Lagos as @ 2012, l used to buy wheatbread of d same weight @ N150!
egusi and vegetable which is m0re expensive in nairobi
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by safarigirl(f): 9:41am On Jul 31, 2014
Junk food cheaper? Where? Cuz I haven't eaten a burger in over 6 months cuz of it's price and I dey chop vegetable, egusi, okro soups each week.

Must you buy bottled water? Even if you must, what size of water are you buying for 100 naira cuz where I'm at you can get a small bottle as cheap as 50 naira, 75cl for 70 naira and 1 litre for 120, so when did coke become cheaper?

Bros, this your yarns no correlate with Naija, maybe junk is cheaper in yankee
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by iraycom: 10:00am On Jul 31, 2014
what is the cost of self contain in kenya (one room)
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Nnachi404(m): 10:13am On Jul 31, 2014
greggng:

If only u can go to the market urself u will discover that women just dey scam men. Stock fish starts from 50naira but it looks like bone types but all I wanted is the smell in my soup .where I leave the smallest bottle of red oil is 30naira .market women can't cheat me infact they call me woman cos of my ability to bargain
guy you 2much but come why bone stock fish?
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by AriDsexy(f): 10:17am On Jul 31, 2014
virago:

Please do not mislead people , a 75cl bottle of water goes for 50 naira while a 50cl bottle of coke goes for 70 naira.
The kind of meat and fish depends on the amount. Shawa and cote is cheaper than any meat available ,
cost of producing wheat bread is higher than white bread so how do you expect it to be cheaper.
Now,when you say vegetable soup,is it the normal efo mixed with other stuffs or the afang or edika-ikong I know because that is what I consider vegetable soup and you can't even begin to compare it with egusi soup.
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by greggng: 10:43am On Jul 31, 2014
Nnachi404: guy you 2much but come why bone stock fish?

Like I explained earlier I only love the aroma that stock fish produces .remenber I ve a titus fish in my soup.
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Iyanusele(m): 10:45am On Jul 31, 2014
Ops......you're getting it all wrong!
Junk foods are more expensive

Your examples of healthy food are questionable

#Agricultural extensionist#

1 Like

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Slimmos(m): 10:53am On Jul 31, 2014
Me I hardly cook ooo...only if my junior sister or my girlfriend comes around dat's wen I light my gas but op am not with you..to me junks are more xpensive dan normal food...cuz If I go out to eat a day I can spend 1K to 1500 some times 700 (lowest) but If no dey de satisfy o but I my sis or my girl is around with dat 1K pot go full plus I go "bellefull" very well
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by myspnigeria: 10:57am On Jul 31, 2014
The ingredients used I guess
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by virago(f): 11:00am On Jul 31, 2014
AriDsexy:
Now,when you say vegetable soup,is it the normal efo mixed with other stuffs or the afang or edika-ikong I know because that is what I consider vegetable soup and you can't even begin to compare it with egusi soup.

Efo riro plain and simple. Once you put other condiments it becomes a delicacy to be relished.
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by greggng: 11:10am On Jul 31, 2014
360command: how much is a pound or kilo of chicken - I mean the ones with thigh and drum stick?

A kilo of chicken were I live is 650naira while a kilo of turkey is 700naira

1 Like

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by NumberOne2(m): 11:12am On Jul 31, 2014
Iyanusele: Ops......you're getting it all wrong!
Junk foods are more expensive

Your examples of healthy food are questionable

#Agricultural extensionist#

I couldn't agree more. If Egusi and Meat are Junk food then what is Meat pie, Ice cream or Cake?
Go find out the price of a scoup of Ice Cream (pineapple flavour) compared to a whole Pineapple fruit.
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by tonychristopher: 11:19am On Jul 31, 2014
That's why its called junk ...junk are cheap so why do cheap

Like the price of local fowl and agric fowl

Local fowl us sweeter and more expensive
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Pavore9: 11:34am On Jul 31, 2014
Badb0y4lyf: egusi and vegetable which is m0re expensive in nairobi
kenya don't know what Egusi is, Nigerians imports & sell it 2 other Nigerians. Kenyans grow ewedu, shoko, okra, green but don't ask me how they prepare them!
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by saiprojects(f): 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
Infact fruit and veg are way more expensive than eating burgers, fries, and all heart failure kind of foods loool..

www.youtube.com/saioladeji
www.saiprojectscooking..com
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by timilinda(f): 12:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
[quote author=greggng]

Brossss! No take ruler measure yam 4 ur wife ooooooo!!!!!!!

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by zemaye: 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2014
BedLam: It's not like much energy or money were spent on producing this healthy food. Junk food tend to have more killing ingredients. But why are they more cheaper? For instance:

A bottle of Eva water is sold for 100#. 50CL coke is sold for 70#, but why? (note, water is natural, not much production is needed except purification)

At a regular "bukka", vegetable soup is expensive than egusi but egusi is more expensive in the market.

Meat is cheaper than fish.

You don talk am finish o
Nothing good comes easy shikena! grin
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by esere826: 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2014

- At a regular "bukka", vegetable soup is expensive than egusi but egusi is more expensive in the market.
- Meat is cheaper than fish.
- Wheat bread is expensive than white bread.
- Ofada rice is also expensive than "normal" rice. (cooked).

Your particular question might answer itself more easilly if it is presented this way?
"Why is it that foods that have higher demand from wealthier people
tend to be more expensive"?

The answer is something like this:
1) Even if the food is unhealthy and the richer folks go for it, it will tend to be more expensive
2) The reason is because the richer you are, the less your tendency to stress by haggling or 'pricing' stuff.
3) This in turn makes the trader/middleman more comfortable in setting higher prices for things that you like

1 Like

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by esere826: 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
^^^

Let's use the example of vegetable vs egusi.

As a 'rich' guy, if you go to the market to buy either of them
the prices of both will be hiked once they see you
The 'poor' guy won't suffer any of such hike

But when both poor and rich go to same restaurant, the prices are already set
so no bargaining
the propietor of the restaurant will gradually start increasing the price
of the food that she notices that the rich person likes a lot

1 Like

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by esere826: 3:30pm On Jul 31, 2014
^^^
your question can also be viewed in another way
hence I highlighted 'particular' in the earlier post

"Why do junk foods tend to be cheaper than fresh foods?"

The answer to this is that whereas fresh food is perishable thus making the seller susceptible to financial loss
junk food on the other hand, lasts for a long time and so can be easily imported from countries where cost of production is very low

1 Like

Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by scarr: 4:49pm On Jul 31, 2014

Meat is cheaper than fish.

@bolded abeg which buka dem dey sell egusi/vegetable separately? No be to buy ur eba/fufu/amala den ask which soup u want That aside junk food as always been expensive than healthy food...me I no know were dis op dey get him own facts o
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by scarr: 4:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
virago:

1m likes! Remembering my osu days na shawa sure pass for pepper sauce #preach sister
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by scarr: 5:02pm On Jul 31, 2014
Pavore9: @greggng, l share ur view. Most guys when it comes to market women don't know how 2 bargain or feel shame doing so bt if u tear eye for them they will respect u. When those market women see a man, na maga dem dey see! Forget pride & haggle with dem!
me I no dey gree for dem oh, I dey price die. Dem sabi me for gbagi market
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by virago(f): 5:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
scarr: 1m likes! Remembering my osu days na shawa sure pass for pepper sauce #preach sister
.You're blessed brother
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by virago(f): 5:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
scarr: 1m likes! Remembering my osu days na shawa sure pass for pepper sauce #preach sister
Re: Why Are Healthy Food More Expensive Than 'junk Food"? by Pavore9: 5:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
scarr: me I no dey gree for dem oh, I dey price die. Dem sabi me for gbagi market
That is the spirit, bro!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yought, What Is Real Taste? / I'm Tired of Chicken, So I Want to Go for This Thing [Picture] / Who Knows The Name Of This Fruit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.