Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,341 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Oyibo Who Needs Advice - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Oyibo Who Needs Advice (1172 Views)

What Is The Outcome (needs Advice) / Man Needs Advice After Falling In Love With A Prostitute (Snapshot) / How To Decently Tell A Guy You Are In Love With Him - Nairalander Needs Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyibo Who Needs Advice by elwood: 10:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
So in UK ive been dating a naija girl for nearly two years, what started as casual dating has now come to the point where i want to marry her.
We've spoke about this before and it would mean me coming to naija when shes finished her education so she can be with her family, and im fine with that, but i dont know how the whole marriage process works in Nigeria.
she is a christian, her parents are very religious christians, but im very not religious.
Ive heard you have to pay a bride price, that i HAVE to introduce my family who don't agree with my plan.
Basically i need some advice on how to make this work as best i can. Ive never left the UK, ive not met many nigerians before, im totally unsure of what the differences are between my way of life and that of Nigerians, if her parents dont agree to me marrying her is that their say, or can she still marry if its up to her?
Would much appreciate any pointers guys/gals
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by thorpido(m): 10:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
What did she say in your discussion with her about all you enumerated here?
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by elwood: 10:56pm On Jul 30, 2014
she said she would marry me when i ask, but she made a big point about my parents having to meet hers, and ive tried to convince them to go to meet them but they said they wouldnt do it.
Now if the tables where turned that would upset me so im feeling bad about that, but also if her parents took that as a snub and they dont like me as a result can they stop us from getting married in Nigeria?
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by Tyche(m): 11:35pm On Jul 30, 2014
Na wa oooo
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by joromi: 11:41pm On Jul 30, 2014
Tell our sister say she neva find husband yet... undecided
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by elwood: 11:46pm On Jul 30, 2014
joromi: Tell our sister say she neva find husband yet... undecided

sorry im not to good with pidgin, what do you mean?
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by mashnino(m): 12:36am On Jul 31, 2014
Over here in Nigeria, people are very traditional and somewhat religious..

so there are some certain things you have to do inorder for you to marry her..

and that's only the traditonal wedding..when it comes to the church wedding..

you guys can come back to the uk and do your thing...

about your parents not wanting to go...that could be a hiccup to the whole marriage process

because in Nigeria, marriage is a serious issue and from the way you described the girl..

like she really has no say over her doings and all and very respectful so she cant disobey her parents

but jez persuade your parents more, they don't have to like the girl's family, your case won't be the first neither the last

but if they won't then try and arrange anything with the girl's parents and you have 70% certainty that they will agree

that's if the girl loves you very well.. but just try and is she igbo?

PS: if she is igbo...my guy... I am sure your savings will be empty by the end of the marriage...just saying..

PSS: igbo marriages are very expensive...

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 31, 2014
how come ur parents don't want u to marry her? is she on good terms with dem?

u urself should visiting naija, to see how u like it. maybe live dere for a while n visit her family too
since ur parents don't agree with ur plan to marry her, u can't expect dem 2 go 2 naija to visit her family.

at d end of d day it's ur choice.. if u r going to go against ur parents n marry her anyway u gotta make sure she luvs u n u feel d same cuz dis is a big sacrifice u will be making

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by elwood: 1:02am On Jul 31, 2014
mashnino: Over here in Nigeria, people are very traditional and somewhat religious..

so there are some certain things you have to do inorder for you to marry her..

and that's only the traditonal wedding..when it comes to the church wedding..

you guys can come back to the uk and do your thing...

about your parents not wanting to go...that could be a hiccup to the whole marriage process

because in Nigeria, marriage is a serious issue and from the way you described the girl..

like she really has no say over her doings and all and very respectful so she cant disobey her parents

but jez persuade your parents more, they don't have to like the girl's family, your case won't be the first neither the last

but if they won't then try and arrange anything with the girl's parents and you have 70% certainty that they will agree

that's if the girl loves you very well.. but just try and is she igbo?

PS: if she is igbo...my guy... I am sure your savings will be empty by the end of the marriage...just saying..

PSS: igbo marriages are very expensive...

wooh thats alot of stuff to do shocked cheesy yeah shes very respectful to her parents and i really dont know what to expect if there not cool with it.
My parents are from the old school and dont really want me to go with a colored girl, but we both love each other and theres no way i want to lose her because of my parents. haha lol about the igbo girls, i dont want to offend so ill say nothing about them, but shes idoma smiley

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by elwood: 1:08am On Jul 31, 2014
aflyingbird: how come ur parents don't want u to marry her? is she on good terms with dem?

u urself should visiting naija, to see how u like it. maybe live dere for a while n visit her family too
since ur parents don't agree with ur plan to marry her, u can't expect dem 2 go 2 naija to visit her family.

at d end of d day it's ur choice.. if u r going to go against ur parents n marry her anyway u gotta make sure she luvs u n u feel d same cuz dis is a big sacrifice u will be making

my parents and her get on really well together, but they always wanted me to do the boring thing and go with boring white girl grin ill hopefully be coming over in a few months to see her mum and dad and the rest of her family, and get a feel for the place, but yeah if my parents arnt going to go then ill do it myself.
i dont mind the sacrifice, its what getting married is about, im just worried about the niaja heat lol!

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by mashnino(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2014
elwood:

wooh thats alot of stuff to do shocked cheesy yeah shes very respectful to her parents and i really dont know what to expect if there not cool with it.
My parents are from the old school and dont really want me to go with a colored girl, but we both love each other and theres no way i want to lose her because of my parents. haha lol about the igbo girls, i dont want to offend so ill say nothing about them, but shes idoma smiley

if she's idoma...then my guy all you need is your parents blessing.. because you have like 90% possibility of getting married to her. idoma's are not stingy with marrying there daughters out... so just try and make your parents understand... or beta still your mum
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by elwood: 2:35pm On Jul 31, 2014
mashnino:

if she's idoma...then my guy all you need is your parents blessing.. because you have like 90% possibility of getting married to her. idoma's are not stingy with marrying there daughters out... so just try and make your parents understand... or beta still your mum

ill keep that in mind mate wink thank you

And thanks to you guys and gals for the responses, you've put my mind at ease now grin

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by drnoel: 11:41am On Aug 02, 2014
joromi: Tell our sister say she neva find husband yet... undecided

u really should be ashamed of urself for such a comment.

3 Likes

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by drnoel: 11:44am On Aug 02, 2014
elwood:

sorry im not to good with pidgin, what do you mean?
Don't mind the comment of that lowlife. U feel she is the one for u then pls go for it. But u need to meet her parents cos Nigerians are strongly into this family stuff and u need to show interest in ur wife's family or u may give an impression that u don't care enof about her and that may be a problem in some cases. All in all I wish u guys well and am very impressed with ur efforts. Keep it up ma friend.
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 02, 2014
Idoma girl, this oyinbo has had his brains fuc.ked well well.

Talk to your parents well, If they truly love you they should honour your wishes. And marrying an Idoma girl is not expensive.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by numericalguy(m): 2:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
elwood:

my parents and her get on really well together, but they always wanted me to do the boring thing and go with boring white girl grin ill hopefully be coming over in a few months to see her mum and dad and the rest of her family, and get a feel for the place, but yeah if my parents arnt going to go then ill do it myself.
i dont mind the sacrifice, its what getting married is about, im just worried about the niaja heat lol!

Stop calling all those fine fine oyinbo girls boring ooo angry

They may seem boring to you, but we like them pass our boring naija girls sef wink
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by drnoel: 3:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
numericalguy:

Stop calling all those fine fine oyinbo girls boring ooo angry

They may seem boring to you, but we like them pass our boring naija girls sef wink
different strokes for different people
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by joromi: 4:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
drnoel:

u really should be ashamed on urself for such a comment.

Sharap...Ode

You are the lowlife... undecided
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by Greatihex(m): 6:10pm On Aug 02, 2014
I jst d smile
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by drnoel: 7:01pm On Aug 02, 2014
joromi:

Sharap...Ode

You are the lowlife... undecided
if only ediots knew when to stop, when they are beaten but what would life be witout some comedy.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
elwood:

I am an Igbo man.

Bride price in Imo state(Igbo state) is only N10, 000. About £40. Very cheap !

When I do my own traditional marriage, I will help you with my list to see that it is very cheap. I am marrying from Imo state. They have the most beautiful girls in Nigeria along with Abia state..

Don't mind that nonsense comment from that nonsense man from ofem.manu region.

# Seun has censored an IBO word Ofem.manu translating it to mean Yoruba..

Hahaha

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 02, 2014
teeo: Idoma girl, this oyinbo has had his brains fuc.ked well well.

Talk to your parents well, If they truly love you they should honour your wishes. And marrying an Idoma girl is not expensive.

I tells you.

There is power in the honey pot.
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by joromi: 9:40pm On Aug 02, 2014
drnoel:
if only ediots knew when to stop, when they are beaten but what would this life be witout some comedy.

What is all this sef ?

Do you get high on claiming victories online ?
If that makes you happy, please make yourself a medal....

Mtchew
Radarada

Quote me again and say rubbish...... Ode
Re: Oyibo Who Needs Advice by drnoel: 2:03am On Aug 03, 2014
joromi:

What is all this sef ?

Do you get high on claiming victories online ?
If that makes you happy, please make yourself a medal....

Mtchew
Radarada

Quote me again and say rubbish...... Ode
Men are fools but dogs and horses. The only victory to be had is only in ur head.

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Attract The Opposite Sex Using The Body Language Mastery / Is Love Blind? (the Most Debatable Love Question) / Can God Give A Lady To A Man Who Is Already Married Has His Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.