Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work (48436 Views)

10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case / Is There Something Inconsequential That People Do At Work That Irritates You? / Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
Thats a good and polite yet wicked reply
evegran: It is a forum meant for discussion! I fail to get your point. However, I'll prefer you stop seeking my attention. Many thanks!
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by TS2(m): 12:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Women can like to play the victims sha.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by romzyxy(m): 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2014
aminho: op i no understand in each scenario you are involved 1st u be manager 2nd u be lawyer u be multi tasker?
e reach 2 ask o.if u b manager dose mehn suppose knw once na.nawa 4 ur write up o
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 01, 2014
Unibenstudent: Thats a good and polite yet wicked reply
always a pleasure dear. smiley
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
I can imagine how the boy would b feeling now,
evegran: always a pleasure dear. smiley
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan: A woman's place is in the kitchen.

You need help....You are not well in the head.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2014
Unibenstudent: I can imagine how the boy would b feeling now,
Oh don't bother your head. He is fine! Probably didn't feel it so well- unless he's pretty sensitive, then we can worry. smiley
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by MiGoS: 12:47pm On Aug 01, 2014
doro.... grin
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hello boy, if u can see ,am not tryna steal ur girl ohh
evegran: Oh don't bother your head. He is fine! Probably didn't feel it so well- unless he's pretty sensitive, then we can worry. smiley
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by MiGoS: 12:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
doro is dead oooooooo....

!!!!!!!!
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Suarezilla(m): 1:02pm On Aug 01, 2014
EbolaGoingHam:

even when ebola is killing you tryna win hoes heart?

Captain save a hoe
Oga try n b reasonable enof na......U didn't hv to quote all that to mk a comment angry
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Elebiju: 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
glitest:

You need help....You are not well in the head.
That is the fool who claims to be an American....do u remember his comments yesterday?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by maygah(f): 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
very true i ve face point 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 ,7 and 10
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
fydence: to start with, typing in Capital letters doesnt add anymore sense to an argument.... Can you tel me how threads lyk 'Men are not the head of the family', 'How does submitting to a man improve a woman's existence' and 'Is Feminism unafrican' highlight the problems of women in the society ? ? ? Except from the fact that someone somewhere is desperate for attention by trying to attack all men for the poor choice of men in her own 'Pathetic' life... Please dear feminists we are not responsible for ur absymal love lives..in any case marriage nor be by force... Its becoming petty to read the travails of one feminist after another..EVERY GOD-GIVEN DAY!
CHECK ALL MY POSTS.I USUALLY TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS angry
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Djicemob: 1:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
maygah: very true i ve face point 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 ,7 and 10
Only you? chai Better check urself b4 u wreck urself.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by XKZ(m): 1:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
egopersonified: Op, these have happened to me several times. I would never forget the day we went to church and a guy couldnt drive out from where he parked, I gave a suggestion and all the men there, including my husband, ignored it.

To be fair even women ignore other women's advice in issues that are deemed 'traditional' male areas.
Similarly women ignore men's advice in area they feel are the strong fort of women (like cooking and baby care).

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by tracyfemmmm: 1:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
one of the best posts i have seen on NL.
this does not just generalize it actually gives u real life scenarios.
All those men in front page commenting u need change.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by tracyfemmmm: 1:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
MrRhymes101: MAYBE SHE IS USING HER OGA'S NAIRALAND ACCOUNT lol
Just because u r too sexist to see that women actually have these issues and realize the importance of it does not mean that all men are like u.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 1:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
FlyboyZee: Being ignored, mistaken for the tea lady or branded a 'maternity risk' … the following common experiences reported to the Everyday Sexism project are painfully familiar to working women

Each of these situations has been reported again and again to the Everyday Sexism Project. For most men, they will be difficult to imagine. For many women, they are painfully familiar.

1. Being mistaken for the secretary
"Although I've been a senior figure in client meetings, when all other attendees are men it's regularly expected that I'm the one to take notes and distribute drinks." "I am head of the fundraising department in the charity I work for. Every time I go to a meeting with the man in my department, he is greeted first, his hand is shaken first, and the conversation is directed towards him. Once, I was asked if I was there to take notes even after I had been introduced as the manager."

2, Being mistaken for the tea lady
'They asked for coffee, white with two sugars.' "International visitors from company's head office came for a meeting at which I, the only female in management, had to report. I walked in with my report and they asked for coffee, white with two sugars."

3. Being called a "good girl"
"Being told I'm a 'good girl' when offering ideas to senior management. Have to resist the urge to bark. A raised eyebrow and 'I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that' worked with one. The other just repeated it … I did call one of them a good boy once, but not in a meeting. He seemed to get my point but said that they 'didn't mean anything by it'."

4. Being accused of menstruation when voicing a firm opinion
"My colleague had to chase up someone in another department for not meeting a deadline for paperwork to be submitted. When she went to speak with him about it, his response was: 'Is it your time of the month?' This is in a huge listed company. She's a lawyer."

5. Being asked if 'a man is available instead'
"Working in a law office, I've had plenty of people on the phone demand to speak to a man instead of me." "People asking if another vicar is available for wedding/funeral :'Nothing personal but we'd prefer a man.'"

6 Having an idea ignored only to be repeated by a male colleague five minutes later to interest and applause
Women's ideas are often ignored – or claimed by men as "A female friend of mine in an office meeting proposed a logical, simple solution to a recurring issue. Blank stares from the group and a 'We've never done it that way' from the senior (female) manager. A male colleague then makes the exact same suggestion and the room nods enthusiastically and congratulates him on the idea." "I attended a meeting last week where a question was posed. I knew the answer and told everybody: 'The answer is yes, there is going to be a group assigned to do this. 'The chair of the meeting (a man) ignored my comment completely and said to everyone: 'I think the answer is probably yes, the board promised to work on this topic so I guess they will assign a committee.' I shared a look with the only woman in the room, sighed and repeated: 'Actually yes, I KNOW there is a committee assigned to this task.' I wished this was the first time that this happened ... it is not."

7 Being asked about childcare plans
"During my interview for my current position I was asked if I planned on having any more children and what my childcare arrangements are. Each time the question was preceded with: 'I'm probably not supposed to ask this but ...' Too blinking right you're not supposed to ask it! Would you have asked it if I were a male candidate?"

8 Being considered a 'maternity risk'
"I had an interview for an office job for a small company when I was in my early 20s.
The senior partner who owned the company told me they wouldn't hire me because I
would probably get pregnant and go on maternity leave, and that if I repeated what
he'd said he'd deny it."

9 Being accused of 'baby brain'
"I was told on my first day back [from maternity leave]: 'You'll never be the same for
us now you have baby brain.'" "I recently came back from maternity leave to my overseas posting, to meet the new boss for the first time. In our first meeting, he explained that I would no longer be in charge of the unit I had been setting up for a year due to my 'special circumstances'… He also stated that while I was nursing it will be difficult for me to focus on my job, so he was being generous by giving me less responsibility, and downgrading my position."

10 Avoiding wandering hands
"I was 22, just graduated from university and working a three-month trial period at a very small company – just me and the boss (married, with kids my age). One day I was busy with filing, and the boss came up behind me, wrapped his arms around me and stuck his tongue on my ear. I shoved him away and told him not to do that again. Ended up being fired a week later because I wouldn't have an affair with him."

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by charis3(f): 2:10pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hi people,

For absolutely gorgeous jewelry, both casuals/official and traditional, your most reliable point of call will be Vynx beads.

At Vynx, we ensure we use the highest quality of materials by carefully selecting from the best suppliers in the industry.

We use swarovski elements, corals, glass beads and semi precious stones. Here are some of our pieces.

You can call us on 08020834370

Nikki
Sales rep, vynx beads

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Elebiju: That is the fool who claims to be an American....do u remember his comments yesterday?

Is that the same guy I rescued from been budonlized by you?...I thought that was a female.?
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by sundayerhun(m): 2:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 01, 2014
nairamaverick: who else notices the op's moniker and sex? undecided

Beats me too.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2014
mstik: *sigh*
women will always be undermined. As they say, it's a man's world.

Hey Mstik, I know that face. Can't quite place where I've met you. But Ive seen that face many times before or maybe its a look alike.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Elebiju: 3:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
glitest:

Is that the same guy I rescued from been budonlized by you?...I thought that was a female.?
No,its definitely the guy he has this teenage problem he is battling.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
Elebiju: No,its definitely the guy he has this teenage problem he is battling.

Teeneger problem ke?. shocked shocked

When did mental illness become a teenage problem?.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by koyyess: 4:01pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan: A woman's place is in the kitchen.
Where did this f.a.g crawl out from? I'm sure you were discovered in a trash bin that's why you are so bitter. Moronic bastard! Quote me and watch how more miserable your life would become.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by packagerz: 4:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
nairamaverick: who else notices the op's moniker and sex? undecided
lady
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
Nags. Pathetic Nags. Such virago on line.

Anyway, lets allow you all get the false satisfaction of having done something about it.

There over a million ways you all have failed too as women. And frankly we same goes for men.

My advice, when a man does these things to you, say it and address it there and then. THERE AND THEN.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by mstik(f): 4:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
donnypool:

learn how to prepare pancake first
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Kalvan: 5:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
A woman has no place in the corporate world. She always acts like she has something to prove.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 6:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
I live in another part of world, but I know that women around the planet experience some form of prejudice. I personally have, but my rebuttal to it is to nip it in the bud. My reputation for being a kind person and a great team player comes secondary to my no nonsense personality. I think since I was raised by my mother who was abused by daddy and I would stand up and run him down if he did again, I decided that no man or woman would intimidate me again.

At work, I've been been confronted by stupid and abusive comments, my response is always to get the person in the situation where they look stupid themselves or they have to go in front of everyone in the office and ask for my help or accept to be subordinate to me.

So, for all the men who really think it's a man's world, just remember that us women can get youall to yyour knees. Muahh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos: Young Pilot Makes His Mum Cry As He Flies Her From Lagos To Kano / Young Lady Spotted Driving Dangote Trailer (Video) / How Much Does First Bank Pay Her Contract Staff?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.