Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work (48451 Views)

10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case / Is There Something Inconsequential That People Do At Work That Irritates You? / Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan: A woman has no place in the corporate world. She always acts like she has something to prove.

It's not that we have something to prove, it's that men realize that we can reinvent the game, not just beat them at their own one.

What irks a man is that he can accept professional competitiveness with a male coworker, but it's hard to see a woman be just as competitive as a man. It's not a lady like quality, but remember that business is just business. At the end of the day money talks.

Weakness is always afraid of being made irrelevant, or that change is necessary to truly be up to competition standards. I've got nothing to prove, you do.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Kalvan: 6:13pm On Aug 01, 2014
vivalableue:

It's not that we have something to prove, it's that men realize that we can reinvent the game, not just beat them at their own one.

What irks a man is that he can accept professional competitiveness with a male coworker, but it's hard to see a woman be just as competitive as a man. It's not a lady like quality, but remember that business is just business. At the end of the day money talks.

Weakness is always afraid of being made irrelevant, or that change is necessary to truly be up to competition standards. I've got nothing to prove, you do.

You're really taking it personal. grin

I've hit a lot of nerves today. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan:

You're really taking it personal. grin

I've hit a lot of nerves today. cheesy

Oh no, not at all, because I have nothing to do with you. Maybe you can't handle that in business you are too weak to go full throttle against a woman. Are you afraid of taking it to the next level with one?

And, just to clarify, if you did get me upset from what you wrote. It's okay too. How do you think a normal person would react to such a statement? You're basically saying that you don't like that certainpplayers in a competition actually compete. It came off like you sounding wounded, butt hurt, etc.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by cushycute(f): 6:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
nairamaverick: who else notices the op's moniker and sex? undecided

He might be an amaphrodite but prefers m for nairaland undecided
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Kalvan: 6:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
vivalableue:

Oh no, not at all, because I have nothing to do with you. Maybe you can't handle that in business you are too weak to go full throttle against a woman. Are you afraid of taking it to the next level with one?

And, just to clarify, if you did get me upset from what you wrote. It's okay too. How do you think a normal person would react to such a statement? You're basically saying that you don't like that certainpplayers in a competition actually compete. It came off like you sounding wounded, butt hurt, etc.

I'm saying the truth though!
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan:

I'm saying the truth though!

No, you're elaborating elaborating on your point of view. Mine is that a real champ always takes the time to assess every person involved, and gets them to help him/her win. If someone has something to prove, I let them prove if only to assess their weaknesses and strengths, for my own gain.

Business strategies 101 bro! Cheers wink

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
FlyboyZee: Being ignored, mistaken for the tea lady or branded a 'maternity risk' … the following common experiences reported to the Everyday Sexism project are painfully familiar to working women

Each of these situations has been reported again and again to the Everyday Sexism Project. For most men, they will be difficult to imagine. For many women, they are painfully familiar.

1. Being mistaken for the secretary
"Although I've been a senior figure in client meetings, when all other attendees are men it's regularly expected that I'm the one to take notes and distribute drinks." "I am head of the fundraising department in the charity I work for. Every time I go to a meeting with the man in my department, he is greeted first, his hand is shaken first, and the conversation is directed towards him. Once, I was asked if I was there to take notes even after I had been introduced as the manager."

2, Being mistaken for the tea lady
'They asked for coffee, white with two sugars.' "International visitors from company's head office came for a meeting at which I, the only female in management, had to report. I walked in with my report and they asked for coffee, white with two sugars."

3. Being called a "good girl"
"Being told I'm a 'good girl' when offering ideas to senior management. Have to resist the urge to bark. A raised eyebrow and 'I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that' worked with one. The other just repeated it … I did call one of them a good boy once, but not in a meeting. He seemed to get my point but said that they 'didn't mean anything by it'."

4. Being accused of menstruation when voicing a firm opinion
"My colleague had to chase up someone in another department for not meeting a deadline for paperwork to be submitted. When she went to speak with him about it, his response was: 'Is it your time of the month?' This is in a huge listed company. She's a lawyer."

5. Being asked if 'a man is available instead'
"Working in a law office, I've had plenty of people on the phone demand to speak to a man instead of me." "People asking if another vicar is available for wedding/funeral :'Nothing personal but we'd prefer a man.'"

6 Having an idea ignored only to be repeated by a male colleague five minutes later to interest and applause
Women's ideas are often ignored – or claimed by men as "A female friend of mine in an office meeting proposed a logical, simple solution to a recurring issue. Blank stares from the group and a 'We've never done it that way' from the senior (female) manager. A male colleague then makes the exact same suggestion and the room nods enthusiastically and congratulates him on the idea." "I attended a meeting last week where a question was posed. I knew the answer and told everybody: 'The answer is yes, there is going to be a group assigned to do this. 'The chair of the meeting (a man) ignored my comment completely and said to everyone: 'I think the answer is probably yes, the board promised to work on this topic so I guess they will assign a committee.' I shared a look with the only woman in the room, sighed and repeated: 'Actually yes, I KNOW there is a committee assigned to this task.' I wished this was the first time that this happened ... it is not."

7 Being asked about childcare plans
"During my interview for my current position I was asked if I planned on having any more children and what my childcare arrangements are. Each time the question was preceded with: 'I'm probably not supposed to ask this but ...' Too blinking right you're not supposed to ask it! Would you have asked it if I were a male candidate?"

8 Being considered a 'maternity risk'
"I had an interview for an office job for a small company when I was in my early 20s.
The senior partner who owned the company told me they wouldn't hire me because I
would probably get pregnant and go on maternity leave, and that if I repeated what
he'd said he'd deny it."

9 Being accused of 'baby brain'
"I was told on my first day back [from maternity leave]: 'You'll never be the same for
us now you have baby brain.'" "I recently came back from maternity leave to my overseas posting, to meet the new boss for the first time. In our first meeting, he explained that I would no longer be in charge of the unit I had been setting up for a year due to my 'special circumstances'… He also stated that while I was nursing it will be difficult for me to focus on my job, so he was being generous by giving me less responsibility, and downgrading my position."

10 Avoiding wandering hands
"I was 22, just graduated from university and working a three-month trial period at a very small company – just me and the boss (married, with kids my age). One day I was busy with filing, and the boss came up behind me, wrapped his arms around me and stuck his tongue on my ear. I shoved him away and told him not to do that again. Ended up being fired a week later because I wouldn't have an affair with him."

Na only u just dey waka dey attend all this meetings we all this things just dey pop up?

U dey try ooo
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by fucklikant101(m): 7:34pm On Aug 01, 2014
evegran: Aww uh, you're gonna have to ask the man above hehe. Thank you! smiley
I like your picture too, you have a fcukkk-face, thick lips and average titttttty, mmmm...what can i do with you, I can give you my load of akamu to your face and akamu inside your mouth, you can spit or swallow, that is your decision, or i drop my thick akamu on your small balloons. I am sure you like it dirty cool

10 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by ChiJenyfa(f): 10:20pm On Aug 01, 2014
deri4luv1: When you wear very short skirts, Gowns and clothes showing Your cleavage, why wouldn't your Boss get attracted to you! Ladies of this our Generation Go really suffer sha! Try and Be The boss, then wouldn't have to worry about the 10things stated above
Not every female goes half naked.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nctrice(m): 11:02pm On Aug 01, 2014
nairamaverick: who else notices the op's moniker and sex? undecided
The guy is Gay!
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Elebiju: 11:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
glitest:

Teeneger problem ke?. shocked shocked

When did mental illness become a teenage problem?.
sweetie you badt oooooo.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by tIce(m): 11:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
I came late
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by elipheleh(m): 11:29pm On Aug 01, 2014
FlyboyZee: Being ignored, mistaken for the tea lady or branded a 'maternity risk' … the following common experiences reported to the Everyday Sexism project are painfully familiar to working women

Each of these situations has been reported again and again to the Everyday Sexism Project. For most men, they will be difficult to imagine. For many women, they are painfully familiar.

"Although I've been a senior figure in client meetings, when all other attendees are men it's regularly expected that I'm the one to take notes and distribute drinks." "I am head of the fundraising department in the charity I work for. Every time I go to a meeting with the man in my department, he is greeted first, his hand is shaken first, and the conversation is directed towards him. Once, I was asked if I was there to take notes even after I had been introduced as the manager."

'They asked for coffee, white with two sugars.' "International visitors from company's head office came for a meeting at which I, the only female in management, had to report. I walked in with my report and they asked for coffee, white with two sugars."

"Being told I'm a 'good girl' when offering ideas to senior management. Have to resist the urge to bark. A raised eyebrow and 'I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that' worked with one. The other just repeated it … I did call one of them a good boy once, but not in a meeting. He seemed to get my point but said that they 'didn't mean anything by it'."

"My colleague had to chase up someone in another department for not meeting a deadline for paperwork to be submitted. When she went to speak with him about it, his response was: 'Is it your time of the month?' This is in a huge listed company. She's a lawyer."

"Working in a law office, I've had plenty of people on the phone demand to speak to a man instead of me." "People asking if another vicar is available for wedding/funeral :'Nothing personal but we'd prefer a man.'"

6 Having an idea ignored only to be repeated by a male colleague five minutes later to interest and applause
Women's ideas are often ignored – or claimed by men as "A female friend of mine in an office meeting proposed a logical, simple solution to a recurring issue. Blank stares from the group and a 'We've never done it that way' from the senior (female) manager. A male colleague then makes the exact same suggestion and the room nods enthusiastically and congratulates him on the idea." "I attended a meeting last week where a question was posed. I knew the answer and told everybody: 'The answer is yes, there is going to be a group assigned to do this. 'The chair of the meeting (a man) ignored my comment completely and said to everyone: 'I think the answer is probably yes, the board promised to work on this topic so I guess they will assign a committee.' I shared a look with the only woman in the room, sighed and repeated: 'Actually yes, I KNOW there is a committee assigned to this task.' I wished this was the first time that this happened ... it is not."

"During my interview for my current position I was asked if I planned on having any more children and what my childcare arrangements are. Each time the question was preceded with: 'I'm probably not supposed to ask this but ...' Too blinking right you're not supposed to ask it! Would you have asked it if I were a male candidate?"

"I had an interview for an office job for a small company when I was in my early 20s.
The senior partner who owned the company told me they wouldn't hire me because I
would probably get pregnant and go on maternity leave, and that if I repeated what
he'd said he'd deny it."

"I was told on my first day back [from maternity leave]: 'You'll never be the same for
us now you have baby brain.'" "I recently came back from maternity leave to my overseas posting, to meet the new boss for the first time. In our first meeting, he explained that I would no longer be in charge of the unit I had been setting up for a year due to my 'special circumstances'… He also stated that while I was nursing it will be difficult for me to focus on my job, so he was being generous by giving me less responsibility, and downgrading my position."

"I was 22, just graduated from university and working a three-month trial period at a very small company – just me and the boss (married, with kids my age). One day I was busy with filing, and the boss came up behind me, wrapped his arms around me and stuck his tongue on my ear. I shoved him away and told him not to do that again. Ended up being fired a week later because I wouldn't have an affair with him."

Women seeking sympathy since 1960...

1. Most always want to be lazy ad be secretaries

2. Same as above

3. You elderly boss na your mate? Well assuming he sees you as still a kid to his age. So my kid brother is also a good boy to me

4. It is scientifically proven true that menstruating women think from their anus

5. It is a man to man talk. Males have our own buddy chats just like girl have girl chat. So don't envy him

6. The male guy just repackaged your idea and presented it in a more logical and clearer way. Sad most women don't know how to organize their thoughts and present them

7. Companies don't wanna lose time no matter what. And time is money. It is his company after-all and he didn't build it because of you

8. women maternity leave is a waste of companies' production time. And no sane business owner wants to lose time

9. Yes nursing mothers are proven to be absent minded from work always. So no too dependable.

10. Sue him and stop disturbing nairaland

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 2:26am On Aug 02, 2014
Elebiju: sweetie you badt oooooo.

I was just been curious oh grin
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by MrRhymes101(m): 5:40am On Aug 02, 2014
tracyfemmmm:
Just because u r too sexist to see that women actually have these issues and realize the importance of it does not mean that all men are like u.
am not insinuating that women don't have these issues... maybe if u were patient enough to notice that the op's gender indicates M(male) and "her" moniker is also masculine u wouldn't say this
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Eddy2cute(m): 8:28am On Aug 02, 2014
Miscellaneous: how come the op... just created this & it was on fp automatically?
because she a woman na! Or ask seun
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by zerodrel(f): 12:39pm On Aug 02, 2014
its a man's world cos women allow it to be.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by tracyfemmmm: 1:59pm On Aug 02, 2014
MrRhymes101: am not insinuating that women don't have these issues... maybe if u were patient enough to notice that the op's gender indicates M(male) and "her" moniker is also masculine u wouldn't say this
whats wrong if the op is a man.he obviously got this article from somewhere and is just sharing.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Swiftboy(m): 10:40pm On Aug 02, 2014
evegran: its apparent you live in a cave!
are you crossed eyed or something? Saw your picture,seems you cant look straight. lol
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by SenatorJames(m): 10:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
Jasminelilian: op are you male or female
I tire oooo.

A male
A female
A lawyer
A manager
A secretary in all meetings.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by TheIkoro(m): 6:06pm On Aug 10, 2014

he'd said he'd deny it."

The travails of the emasculated man are similar to (if not even worse
than) that of the woman that you have revealed above. Yet all
that the female chauvinism of this generation of sexists
would that we be aware of are that which the woman goes through;
whilst the anguish of the man is totally ignored - however young,
weak, or needy he may be.

For more about that which the emasculated man shoulders as
burden, please read the book, The Pleasure Principle (available on the
web-site, www.adedotuntheikoro.net).
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by tck2000(m): 6:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
women

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chemical Engineering Versus Mechanical Engineering Forum / Inside Lagos Factory Where Workers Stand For 12 Hours Daily To Earn N1,500 / Photos: Young Pilot Makes His Mum Cry As He Flies Her From Lagos To Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.