Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,071 members, 7,953,271 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:19 PM

We Are Able(a Touching Story) - Literature (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able(a Touching Story) (119784 Views)

We Are Able (A Touching Story) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Eniqurl(f): 12:00am On Sep 18, 2014
Rose own dn finish tudae...Nice wrk br.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by JigsawKillah(m): 3:27am On Sep 18, 2014
dwaammmm!!!!
carry on sammy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 18, 2014
[b]CHAPTER THIRTY

Toyosi was extremely annoyed with me. She beat me with everything she could lay her hands upon.

I screamed, perhaps Mrs Omotayo would hear my voice and come to my rescue. John returned from work too and began to beat me. He locked me up in a room after kicking me severely.

When John released me, somebody bumped into our parlour. It was around 9pm. I was shocked to see that she was Mrs Omotayo.

She came close to Toyosi and they pointed fingers at each other. I could see her mouth moving as if she was pronouncing 'Bode'. Applying my commonsense, I interpreted what was going on. Mrs Omotayo was angry with Bode for treating her children badly.

If John hadn't come in between the two of them, they would have fought physically. Toyosi even threw a blow and it caught my father on the face. She then relaxed to tend the swelling on his forehead.

I shook where I stood. I knew that they would eventually come back to me to deal with me. They would pay back everything she did to them on me.

As envisaged, John treated me badly. He made me to sit down in space, without a chair. It was a form of punishment. My legs and my waist pained me so much. Each time my hip was going down, he would whip me with a wire.

I wept bitterly as I served the punishment. If only I could have my way, I would run away from home, I thought.

Nobody needed to tell me that I had lost the privilege of schooling once more. Over and above all, I had lost the love of my heart. However, I wouldn't regret that I fought Bode back since I was doing it for my future husband, I thought.

My room was relocated once again, this time it was the store room. The kitchen was filled up with foodstuff and other things, therefore I would be in the store room. The room was stuffy. It had a little opening high up. Our farm equipments were in there; rakes, watering cans, cutlasses, brooms, hoes and more.

I picked up a broom and swept the dusty room. I had catarrh as the dust rose and got into my head through the orifices of my nostrils.

I had resigned to fate long ago. Whatever came my way I would just accept it that way. I knew I would overcome someday. I took my note and began to write my poems once more:

I remembered the letter Biodun wrote in Braille. I smiled as I produced it and set it before my face. Seeing it was making my heart glad. I closed my eyes and began to feel around it with my fingers. Reading in Braille was fun to me.

Rose, I have never imagined that the blind could hear the deaf speak. I have never thought that the deaf could communicate with the blind, but it was such a huge shock to me that you crossed the bridge, or let me say you bridged the gap. Even when I couldn't learn your own language, you learned mine. You were not self-centred. You have travelled miles in my heart already and my heart is already for you. Rose, I LOVE YOU even if you can't defend me and nothing shall separate us henceforth. Biodun.

I halted around the L-O-V-E and felt them over and over again with my fingers. With that letter close to my heart, I slept off.

Biodun was riding a bicycle. I sat behind him on the bicycle. We rode on and on, yet he was blind, having a dark goggle set over his face. I wondered how he was able to manoeuvre his way through the bumpy road. Laide was running on foot beside our bicycle, lame, yet we couldn't leave her behind. Although deaf I was, I began to scream on the top of my voice:

WE ARE ABLE! WE ARE ABLE!!

I woke up from sleep. It was all a dream! I wanted to empty my bladder, so I rushed to the door, but it was shut from the outside. I was confused. I needed to pass out the urine. I wondered who locked me in.

I turned my head around and noticed a watering can. I would use it. In a flash I had eased myself.

Early the next morning, it was Saturday, environmental sanitation time. Around 7am, Toyosi had ordered me out of the store room.

"Go to the garden now!" she signed to me. Bode was still asleep. I began to hurry down there. She followed me.

"Rose, I haven't called you out here to be playing with those handicapped children, okay."

"Yes ma," I replied. "If I see you together, then you are doomed, okay?"

"Yes ma," I replied. Toyosi began to take her leave.

I stooped to begin work. I knew what I should do, so I didn't hesitate. I was to uproot the weed with my bare hands. That had always been my undeserved punishment every last Saturday of the month.

We had hoes and cutlasses but I was not allowed to use any. John soon joined me in the garden, carrying two watering cans. He was going to wet the vegetables.

John dropped the watering cans and went further into the garden. He plucked some garden eggs and came back to where I was weeding. He ordered me to take the watering cans to the tap to fetch water there. I picked them up but he ordered me to wait a little while. He wanted to wash one of the garden eggs to eat.

John picked up one of the watering cans and shook it. Seemed there was a little water in that. He would use the water to wash his hands and the garden eggs. John hastily poured the liquid on his right hand and rinsed the garden eggs. I perceived the odour of urine and remembered what I did last night.

I watched John as he squeezed the garden eggs into his mouth. I turned my head around and smiled. John was stingy, he wouldn't share them with me. Even if he wanted to do that this time around, I wouldn't receive them.

I picked the watering can and went to the tap to fetch water. When I returned, John was holding his stomach in pain. I never knew what evil my urine could cause until now.

John spent the rest of the week in a hospital, explaining to the doctors that he ate a salty garden egg. Nobody on earth was able to understand the mystery of the salty garden eggs except myself. I AM ABLE, I thought.

[/b]

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 18, 2014
THAT IS GOOD FOR HIM....
I LOVE THIS STORY....
STRONGLY FOLLOWING....
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by MoriYanu(m): 8:58am On Sep 18, 2014
Oga Sammie.... Oya leggo. Salty garden egg is good for the health sha
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Trypa(f): 9:25am On Sep 18, 2014
Oga sammy we dey ur back ooo salty garden egg hahah lwkmd ooo no b small tin oo serve him right wish he die sef more battery to ur phone
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by 3Dimension: 9:42am On Sep 18, 2014
Salty garden egg kwa!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tenajtek(f): 10:45am On Sep 18, 2014
At least John got a payback no matter how small.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Eneze1(f): 10:54am On Sep 18, 2014
Toyosi needs to be dealt with too
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by s3nn2x(m): 11:00am On Sep 18, 2014
For the first time, I laughed grin grin grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by maryhaam(f): 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2014
Nice one,following humbly
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Eniqurl(f): 12:26pm On Sep 18, 2014
Salty garden egg ?? Lmao.
Serves hm riqht....followinq u jare ntin du u.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Chimdim: 12:29pm On Sep 18, 2014
Sammy weldone, gud for John
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by emmadejust(m): 3:24pm On Sep 18, 2014
every act of fight has it pain and revenge aim, JOHN DARIS GOD OOO
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by queen47: 5:59pm On Sep 18, 2014
Salty garden egg indeed. Toyosi and evil bode need to have a taste that too
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by seunviju(f): 10:05pm On Sep 18, 2014
That got me laughing,he never see anything yet.Thanks for the update sammy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by lekinz(m): 12:57am On Sep 19, 2014
Nice write up bro ...
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by oghenekome51(f): 9:20pm On Sep 19, 2014
s3nn2x: For the first time, I laughed grin grin grin
me too.....sammy thanks for the update more ink to ur pen
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by labaski(f): 9:44pm On Sep 19, 2014
pls does anyone here knw y sammy hasn't dropped an update yet?.. am really really fascinated by ds story
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Uthman51(m): 10:35pm On Sep 19, 2014
Salty Garden egg....my belle wan burst for laughter grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Uthman51(m): 10:35pm On Sep 19, 2014
Bros Sammy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Frankenstein: 1:13am On Sep 20, 2014
Alright. I have arrived... Now Sammyhoe, please put Rose out of her misery and do that soon.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by stormybucci(m): 4:50am On Sep 20, 2014
***laughs till i fall down 4rm my chair and banging d ground with my palm*** hahahaha salty garden egg.John, e remain sh*t wae u go chop ooo... Bro sammyhoe more ink to ur pen

2 Likes

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 20, 2014
labaski: pls does anyone here knw y sammy hasn't dropped an update yet?.. am really really fascinated by ds story

Yes I do cheesy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by labaski(f): 11:57am On Sep 20, 2014
SammyHoe:

Yes I do cheesy
huh..sammy it s unfair ooo.y weren't u able to update cnc nah i hope all is well wt u?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by stormybucci(m): 12:14pm On Sep 20, 2014
SammyHoe:

Yes I do cheesy
egbon yi funny gan sha.. bro sammyhoe, oya cum nd update b4 i **brings out matchet nd shows it 2 him**.... u know wat i mean baa??
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Euphrosyne(m): 1:53pm On Sep 20, 2014
What language do a deaf and dumb think in (no pun intended)
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by stormybucci(m): 5:23pm On Sep 20, 2014
Euphrosyne: What language do a deaf and dumb think in (no pun intended)
in gibberish..mtcheew
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by D9ty7(m): 5:27pm On Sep 20, 2014
Are you a fan of stories that reflect family life and scandals. THE WEB is one of such stories. Written by Candy.
This is the story of two women whose lives are interwoven in ways
they can't even imagine...a story of desperation and survival at
dangerous costs.
This is the link.... https://www.nairaland.com/1902597/web...
Read and you won't be disappointed.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:33am On Sep 21, 2014
Oga sammyhoe
where u dey LA??
abeg come fast o
your boy is starving
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by JigsawKillah(m): 9:34am On Sep 21, 2014
Euphrosyne: What language do a deaf and dumb think in (no pun intended)

please reread your question
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by BabieGhagha(f): 10:58am On Sep 21, 2014
u ar realy doig a gr8 job.welldone i must say

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (35) (Reply)

A Fatal Love {Sequel to 'The Sugar Mum'} / Make Me A Wife / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.