Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,110 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:27 AM

We Are Able(a Touching Story) - Literature (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Are Able(a Touching Story) (119824 Views)

We Are Able (A Touching Story) / We Are Able (A TOUCHING STORY) / My Story, My Life (A Touching Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 10:13pm On Sep 13, 2014
[color=#000099][/color] This stories looks like reality to me. Crying for roseembarassed embarassed . And the award 4 the best writer on nairaland goes to sammy. Keep it up bro
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by D9ty7(m): 11:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
This is to inform Mr Sammyhoe and his wonderful fans that d9ty7(Sammy's apprentice) is starting a new story at the end of september, titled: ALL IN A CIRCLE.
It is a story of a father and his two sons, one a criminal and the other a policeman. The father is the chief sponsor of the most notorious terrorist group in the country where his son is the main hitman unknown to him and his second so is on a quest in figuring out the terrorists(his brother) and their sponsors(his father)
Sit back, relax and enjoy the story.
LOVE- AFFECTION- BETRAYAL- ROMANCE- CRIME- MURDER- FAMILY- ENEMITY- THE GAME- IN ONE FAMILY- IN ONE CIRCLE.
The link to the story is.....
https://www.nairaland.com/1882637/all-circle-crime-story
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 3:35am On Sep 14, 2014
Good morning to u all
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 5:50am On Sep 14, 2014
[b]CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

A week later, it was a New Year day. Toyosi didn't starve me this time around. She even told me she had turned over a new leaf.

"Rose, this is 2001 so I have decided to be lenient with you. If you keep being a good girl, then I will keep doing you well. As for your mother, she will be back soon."

How soon could her 'soon' be? I can't wait to see my mother return to the house. I dreamt of her just the night of the New Year Eve. She was sick in the prison. My dreams were often the reversal of the reality, so I just believed she was healthy there. If my dreams were real, her apparition wouldn't have appeared to me earlier, telling me that she had been killed. Now, seeing her sick in the prison was definitely a contradiction to my first vision that she was dead.

If I was a prophetess, I would be a false one, I thought.

I wondered what was up Toyosi's sleeves this time around for her to be showing this kind of affection for me. Toyosi must be the snake who deceived Eve at creation, I thought. Such thought would at least help me not to be surprised whenever she revealed her real intention. She was always good at her game of suspense.

Toyosi even gave me the free hand to mingle with my neighbours. She told me to be secretive about my family.

"Don't tell Mrs Omotayo and her children anything going on in this family if you really want to see your mother alive," Toyosi warned. "You know that walls have ears; if you do an undo, I will hear and do an undo too. So, if you love your mother, then keep quiet about your family. Don't tell our neighbours anything."

I was going to do exactly that. Why wouldn't I do that? I thought.

Toyosi gave me food on the New Year day, unlike the Christmas day. She then asked me to return to my room.

"Rose, as long as you keep your mouth shut about everything that has happened, then you can be sleeping inside your room instead of using the kitchen," she told me.

What was she up to? Did she want to take me by surprise again, or is it that this year was my year of freedom? Going by the sticker Toyosi pasted on the door, I thought it was indeed a year of freedom for me. The sticker had the statement 2001, MY YEAR OF FREEDOM.

I spent the whole New Year day thumping here and there; from our flat to the other flat but towards the end of the New Year day my day was ruined by my father:

It was around 9pm that New Year day. Toyosi had left the home to her own husband's house because it seemed she would be having some guests there. I got to know this when three of her friends came to our house and began to hurry her up. When she was leaving, she came to my room and told me she was leaving for her husband's home.

I thought of asking her for the reason why she hadn't been staying with her husband but I didn't because I thought doing that would mean that I was too forward. At least I had already been aware that her husband had travelled to South Africa, thanks to Mrs Omotayo who told me that earlier.

As if Toyosi was living in my mind, she turned back to me and signed:

"Actually, my husband has travelled abroad so I thought it would be kind of me to assist your father till he returns. Isn't that a good idea?"

"Yes it is," I signed back and nodded in agreement. Then she kissed my forehead and left.

I suddenly discovered that I was in the mood to start writing poems. I took my paper and my pen as I began to write one; the one whose stanzas had set in my head since the day before. It was titled LIFE IS A PEN

I didn't hesitate to pen down the poem as it was coming from my brain:

Life is a pen, God is the author
You and I are the characters
Inside his fiction he writes all genres
Tragedy, comedy and romance alike

Life is a clay, God is the potter
You and I are the pottery
Inside his pottery house he moulds all objects
Pots, laddle and gourds alike

Life is a song, God is a singer
You and I are the notes in there
Inside his songs he writes all genres
Gospels, countries and pop alike

Life is knowledge, God is the teacher
You and I are the subjects taught
Inside His teachings he emphasizes
Love, morality and myth alike

Life is a race, God is the referee
You and I are the athletes there
Inside his rules He made us know
First could be last and last could be first

Life is a risk, God is the guide
You and I are to take the risk
Inside his manual you find peace of mind
Confidence, trust and all you need

Life is death, God is the judge
You and I will die someday
Inside his book will your name be found?
Heaven is real and hell is real

I checked the poem over and over again and I fell in love with it. I kissed the paper and adjourned to my bed to sit because I wrote it on the floor earlier.

I was still in the euphoria when my father entered in with his bare chest covered with hair. His chest was broad. I began to wonder what he had come for at such late hour and my heart missed a beat. The man was on boxers, a very skimpy one for that matter. I didn't even hear his footstep because I am deaf. He was an inch close before I could spot him.

John looked mysterious as he shut the door and bent his neck at me, his hand pushing against the wall beside my bed.

I was scared! I shifted back on my bed and leaned against the wall with my pillows on my chest. My teeth had begun to do some exercise as they gnashed against one another.

John came on the bed and smiled as he crawled towards me. I put my pillow on my face in horror!
[/b]

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by adohrmakeovers(f): 6:11am On Sep 14, 2014
OMG!!! I jst feel lyk killing John.he's a beast..
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 14, 2014
Johnnuu!!!! dere is God oooo....
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tattesco(m): 6:37am On Sep 14, 2014
Omg. Johnny are yo mad? oembarassed shocked. Ur own daughter. Ah ah ah. I pray 4 God intervention o. Ehn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "In Rihanna's voice'' And the award 4 the best writer goes to you@sammyhoe 4 writing this story. Very inspiring. Keep it up BRO wink
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by harlos: 6:43am On Sep 14, 2014
What!!!!!! shocked
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by talk2riel: 7:35am On Sep 14, 2014
Hope what happened to Bimbo in HIP in 1979 is not about to happen to Rose in 2001?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 14, 2014
talk2riel: Hope what happened to Bimbo in HIP in 1979 is not about to happen to Rose in 2001?

Let's watch and see!!! grin
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 14, 2014
Pls sammy don't complicate this rose issue...
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Eniqurl(f): 10:07am On Sep 14, 2014
John z alrdy insane...so obvious.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 14, 2014
Vibra: Pls sammy don't complicate this rose issue...

Trust me I won't... update follows immediately cheesy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Sirfocuz(m): 11:50am On Sep 14, 2014
Hummm! I knw it wil hapun.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 14, 2014
[b]My father rose up suddenly and began to laugh. He was saying something as he dipped his right hand into the pocket of his boxers and produced a note. He pointed at my horrified face and kept laughing at me. The only thing I thought I successfully lipread was the expression USELESS CHILD.

I let my father leave the room before peeking at the note he gave me. My heart had begun to come down now. That man really gave me a big scare because I had thought he wanted to rape me. I had heaved sighs of relief on and on. That man had only come to scare me.

I began to read:

Re: My Father, why have you forsaken me?

My useless daughter Rose, as a reply to your questions that day, I have come up with this. It is the proper write-up that would suit your question. Imagine, it took me more than a week to compose this wonderful write-up.

The last time when I said you have never been of help to me, you said you have on Democracy day, just because you translated sign language to text for me. Well, if that is what you call a help, then you are a great fool. How dare you open your 'dumb mouth' to say that in the first place? Do you realise how much I have spent on you? If that is what a father should expect from a daughter after spending fortune on her, then it had been better he didn't spend on her at all.
I'm glad you aren't schooling anymore because at the end of the day you will graduate and remain useless in the society. Nobody will employ you, nobody will benefit from you, nobody will speak with you because you will just remain as useless as a rock.

You are not supposed to be living among the living but among the animals because as much as I know, only animals don't speak. At the right time I will take you to the jungle to live the rest of your life there.

Imagine, what is the essence of a daughter who will never be wooed by a man? What is the essence of a lady who will never have anyone to get married to her? Rose, If you ever get married, then let the earth bury me alive...

At that juncture, I stopped reading as I wept my eyeballs out. I had only read the note to one-third but I tore it without intending to read more. The little I had read had already torn my heary apart.

I began to feel inferior and depressed once more. Earlier, I had thought I wouldn't put myself in inferiority complex. Now it was inevitable. I had begun to consider some of the things my father said. It had just dawned on me that I can't have a normal person as a husband. Maybe I would start making love with blind Biodun as from now on so that we could end up marrying each other, I thought. It was the first time in my life I would think about love and that feeling was now towards the birthday celebrant of yesterday, 31 December, year 2000.

I began my love search at once the next day as I started moving close to the children of Mrs Omotayo so that I could show them I cared, especially Biodun the blind boy. I wished we ended marrying each other, at least to prove my father wrong. John would be shocked when Biodun and I bring our wedding invitation card to him, I thought childishly. A strong fear stared at my face when I envisaged the reply John could give:

A disabled marrying a disabled, ha! ha! ha! Perfect combination of disabled I imagined John saying that, then I sulked.

Mrs Omotayo said she had never felt so happy in life. Seeing me playing with her kids, she was glad. She wanted me to always come around them.

Mrs Omotayo had been finding it very difficult sending them to school. They were in a boarding school the year before, but she had to pull them out and bring them back home when they took ill all the time and almost died. She prefered them illiterate and alive instead of being literate and dead.

At the moment, Mrs Omotayo was on sabbatical so that she could have enough time at hand to care for her children.

Things hadn't been smooth for her, being the only one to run around to do this and that. Unfortunately, there wasn't any tangible help her two children could render.

Mrs Omotayo wanted to employ the service of a housemaid because she would soon be resuming work. When she told me about it, I assured her that I would do my best.

All the while, she thought I was a housemaid according to what Toyosi told her. I would have opened up to her the person I really was, but for the warning Toyosi gave me.

However, Mrs Omotayo wondered in silence how come I was a housemaid. To clear her doubt about my identity, she took a step to know a little about me. I read the note she gave me and remained 'mute':

Rose, I'm sorry to ask you these few questions; please it would do me a great good if you could answer me accordingly: first, I would like to know when actually you began to be a housemaid, because with the look of things you are even too young for that, considering your condition too. You look like thirteen or fourteen years to me, so how come you are in this? Did you start being a house girl at ten or eleven or when? I also want to know why and who released you to be one. Is your mother still alive? If she is, where does she live?...

I couldn't finish the whole writeup as tears welled up in my eyes. They began to drop. Mrs Omotayo must have thought that she had hurt my feelings, going by the way she tightened herself on me and rubbed my head with her hands.

I wasn't weeping because she asked those questions but because I couldn't supply an answer since Toyosi had warned me against doing such. Now I knew I wasn't free yet, opposed to my thought earlier. I had no freedom of speech yet.

Mrs Omotayo told me she needed to enroll her children back in school, but she didn't want to enrol them in a boarding school because she didn't want them to fall sick. She wished they could be attending a day school, but it would be difficult for them returning from school everyday, because herself would be in her workplace by the time they would be returning from school.

An idea struck my mind. I wrote it down and gave it to her. She took a glance at me when she read it.

"Will you be able?" she asked me.

"Yes I will be," I replied her.

Then I have to seek the permission of your mistress, she wrote.

Please go ahead, I replied.

I have missed school so much and I had wished to return. A whole term had passed without me being enrolled in a school. I needed to be out there again and that was the idea I gave Mrs Omotayo my neighbour. I told her that I would be able to take care of her children; take them to school and bring them back as long as I would also be schooling together with them.

Mrs Omotayo approached my stepmother and told her about it. She did not agree to it at first, but after too much badger from my neighbour, she consented to it.

[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by queen47: 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2014
Still following SammyHoe.....this piece is really touching
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Mczigx(m): 1:28pm On Sep 14, 2014
As a real man am nt suposd 2 cry *sobbing*
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by harlos: 1:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
I wonder if/when this suffering and maltreatment will stop.

Nice one sammyhoe but pity this girl na sad
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by dammygoody(m): 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2014
Well done prof.,
Happy Sunday everyone!!!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by labaski(f): 6:15pm On Sep 14, 2014
ds story is vewi vewi touching..i cn feel deir pains.

1 Like

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by MoriYanu(m): 9:04pm On Sep 14, 2014
Sammy!!!! How many time I call u, if dis girl suffering no end by ur next update, I go fight u o..haba! U wan kill her, anyways, WE ARE ABLE!!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by tenajtek(f): 10:21pm On Sep 14, 2014
Oga sammyhoe, pls read d personal text of royver. On d day of Toyosi's burial it will rain heavily so she is not given a proper burial. Toyosi, God will judge u! (3x)
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2014
MoriYanu: Sammy!!!! How many time I call u, if dis girl suffering no end by ur next update, I go fight u o..haba! U wan kill her, anyways, WE ARE ABLE!!!
I second am..haba!this is three much
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 12:01am On Sep 15, 2014
seunviju: we can forgive but to alwx forget isn't dat easy to do
Oh, so you think that's easy to do. Abi?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 12:02am On Sep 15, 2014
seunviju: which kin cloth be this for tears wiping,you wan allow that thing wey open mouth swallow me ni?No thanks to you before
the cloth no fit do anything na,
Oya come back and thank me, now now!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Royver(m): 12:14am On Sep 15, 2014
tenajtek: Oga sammyhoe, pls read d personal text of royver. On d day of Toyosi's burial it will rain heavily so she is not given a proper burial. Toyosi, God will judge u! (3x)
what's going on?
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by PrinceAdepoju(m): 12:17am On Sep 15, 2014
Hmmm.

No matter how long the night maybe, there will always be a Daybreak!!

Well done, boss.
We Are Able!!
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by kingphilip(m): 12:57am On Sep 15, 2014
Queenxstar: mmmmh...
Nooooooooo
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Tomkhalifa52(m): 5:11am On Sep 15, 2014
Sammy g is a born genius, keep it up.
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 15, 2014
Good morning everyone...
Update is here...

[b]CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Mrs Omotayo enrolled me and her children in a school for special people. She arranged a taxi to be taking us to school and bringing us back everyday.

It was already second term but I had to begin with them like that.

Toyosi had also found something doing, therefore she wouldn't be home every time, unlike before.

I was enrolled in Jss 1 with Laide, the lame daughter of Mrs Omotayo, while Biodun was in JSS 2. We all had our different classrooms. Biodun was in the class of the blind where they had to use Braille for reading.

Whenever we were back from school, we would stay within the compound and have fun. I began to fall in love with Biodun, not minding the fact thay there was no way we could communicate since he had no eyes to see my sign language and I also had no ears to hear his speeches. Love is blind indeed, I thought, since the love of my heart, Biodun, is blind. Having true love is not when you fall in love with people with riches or with people in perfect conditions, but when you fall in love with those who are not perfect, overlooking their imperfections.

Laide became our middleman. She would relay anything I wrote on paper for Biodun by speaking directly to him and Biodun would speak back to her, then she would write whatever Biodun said in a paper and give it back to me.

I also had my functions. I would lead Biodun around, holding his hands. Sometimes I would put my left hand around his neck to show affection but he would recoil, removing it for me. I would feel embarrased.

Are we not old enough to play love? I thought. I am already thirteen and Biodun is fourteen, so what else are we waiting for before starting a relationship? I thought childishly.

I also helped Laide push her wheelchair around the house. She loved being pushed around because it always gave her the feeling that she was walking.

However, we always came across one confrontation and that was Bode. Whenever Bode was back from school, then for sure trouble was around. Though the youngest, he would brag around us, trying to show false seniority.

Bode was just eight years, but his wicked acts seemed too much for his age. Bode would pinch Laide on her back and push Biodun out of his way. They would shed tears sometimes and curse him.

I couldn't do anything to him because of his mother. Each time he was oppressing us, I would clench my fist as if to punch his face, but my muscles would relax again at the thought of what Toyosi could do. Toyosi could pull me out of school again, despite the fact that it wasn't her but Mrs Omotayo that was paying my school fees.

My childish love for Biodun developed so much. I had already derived pleasure in leading him around.

I had watched the television and had learnt how to kiss in it. I was going to practise that on the love of my heart, Biodun. But each time I wanted to do it, my heart would thump for fear.

I knew what to do; I would tell him that I loved him and I wished to be his wife in the nearest future. I wondered how Laide would feel.

That particular day, I entered the toilet to pass excreta. Laide and Biodun were in their parlour because they wanted to avoid Bode who was a thorn in their flesh.

I had to rush everything I was doing so that I could go to them and have fun with them. Perfunctorily, I cleaned myself up and began to rush to their room. I met a mess--both Biodun and Laide had fallen down. I had to quickly help them up. It was an accident; Biodun fell while he was walking around in the room. He fell on Laide who was on wheelchair and both of them fell to the ground.

I couldn't show Laide the loveletter again. I was disappointed. The loveletter was supposed to be read into Biodun's ears, but since they were not in a good mood, I couldn't do that again.

Biodun and Laide began to speak to themselves, weeping profusely. I couldn't hear them but I perceived they were depressed. It seemed they were very bitter against someone, perhaps against God for not preventing them from the evil which befell them when they were still babies.

I made a signal to Laide that she should tell me what happened. She understood my hand movement so she requested a pen. I got it for her. If Laide's left hand was also paralysed like the right one, there wouldn't have been a way the three of us could communicate. I thought that was something to thank God about; he would always leave a space of thanks in everything.

Laide was left-handed so she had no problem writing. She passed the note to me when she was done. I began to read:

Rose, this life is too hard on us the disabled people. Why are we not able to do what able people do? Imagine, if danger arises how do we run? I have no legs, he has no eyes and you have no ears. Why? We are tired of living, Rose. Yet Bode would keep complicating issues for us by beating us up and kicking us. I and my brother wish him nothing but death. Bode would not stop at that; he would also call us names and make us go mad...

I felt their heartrending pain. I wept with them and began to write something. Laide would read it in Biodun's ears.

My write-up was geared towards making them know that if they put their minds on something, they would do it better than the able people. At that juncture, I remembered my class-teacher and my mother who kept telling me that I was able, but I kept telling them I was not back then.

Now, I needed no one to tell me that I am able, having lived without my parents and guardian for over ten months. I had even checked Mrs Oyin in her home some weeks back but I met another family there. I got a note and asked them where she was. They told me she sold the house to them.
I left with the understanding that she had travelled to London to join her family there.

Laide read my write-up and began to frolick on her wheelchair as she read it in the ears of her elder brother, Biodun. The boy was also happy, laughing with all his strength.

My Write-up

Oh how I missed my teacher, Mrs Oyindamola. She is a honeycomb with sweetness. She is an eagle with foresight. She is an elephant with intelligence. She is a Lion with courage. She is a horse with strength. She is my mentor and my monitor; my hope and the reason why I could cope. Last year, when I didn't stop calling myself a deaf and dumb, she told me to stop saying that. She even told me that I could hear and speak. She told me that there are too things, either everybody is deaf and dumb or everybody can hear and speak. I disagreed and asked her to show me the practicality of her argument.

My clasteacher did something funny. She invited a normal person who could speak and hear to our classroom and told us to ask him questions in our usual sign language. We began to bombard him with a lot of questions but the man appeared dumb to us because he couldn't respond a word. He couldn't understand us.

What is your name? Where do you live? What are you here to do? Would you like to eat something? Do you have kids? So and so went our questions but he pulled up a confused face, then we began to laugh him to scorn, pushing at ourselves as we used him to catch fun.

He is dumb! He is dumb! we signed to each other that day until the man hurried away from our presence. My classteacher then told us that being deaf and dumb doesn't contain in the lack of using the mouth to speak alone. So far we could use other means to communicate, then we are not deaf and dumb.

So, Laide you are not lame because you could move with your wheelchair and Biodun is not blind because he could use his foresight and his inner eyes.
WE ARE ABLE!

[/b]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 15, 2014
Jigsawkillah, Sam4jesuseva, etc...all my updates you people are sharing. Diaris God o o o o!!!

No mind me, thanks so much for sharing them cheesy
Re: We Are Able(a Touching Story) by harlos: 8:31am On Sep 15, 2014
Thank you sammyhoe.

Me sef know there is God thats why I will share cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (35) (Reply)

A Fatal Love {Sequel to 'The Sugar Mum'} / Make Me A Wife / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.