Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Make Me A Wife - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Make Me A Wife (119714 Views)

Killing a Wife / Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2017
© The girl in glasses 2017

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system, without the written permission of the Publisher, except where permitted by law.

5 Likes

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 2:20pm On Feb 24, 2017
Chapter One

The room was silent and looked happy with the cheerful paintings and twelve generations pictures plastered on the wall revealing that the lineage all inherited the famous pointed nose from the first man of the family. If only the room could share its cheerful mood with its occupant.

He attacked the meats in his plate like they were still breathing, and he was at the slaughterhouse cutting them into pieces. His manner at the dining room was offensive even to the inanimate objects. The chair he was sitting on could feel his restlessness, as he kept moving and shifting on it. His throat tightened in anger, it became a great task to swallow the unchewed meats in his mouth. He leaned back on his chair, his past and future staring right at him. The meal before him momentarily forgotten and the meats in his mouth was rudely spat into a napkin. He would be thirty years on February 25th. At that age, he was still living a life mapped out by his late father. He was not pleased with that and to be honest, he felt he was someone else creation. A sham. An artificial while the real him was the happy man with a simple life in his dreams.

He could remember the decisions that took place mostly in the dining room right after his father ate a heartily meal, he would belched loudly and turn to his wife
"Look at my boy, he is growing bigger each day"
His mother would reply in affirmative sometimes adding one or two compliment to please her husband. And that would set the tone for his future.
"He would be sixteen years next month. I think he should write JAMB and choose that university in Lagos. At least with 280 and above and a good score in his postUME something above 70 will secure his place at the engineering department or is it faculty?" his father asked turning his gaze on him. But he was too furious to reply. Furious and tired of their selfish attitude.

He knew his reply mattered not. All that was required of him during such conversation was too listen and if possible jot down his father's "loving"words.
He could remember when he was eight years old, sitting with his small hand tucked under his chin. His mother met him in that " terrible" position and asked him what he was doing. He told her he was thinking about his new school.
"Thinking?" his mother repeated in a tragic voice
"Why should you do something so stressful as thinking? We are here for you. As our only child we will do everything for you"
Even at a age so young, he knew his parents are wrong with his upbringing. How could thinking be stressful?

And when he showed him his Junior WAEC result, his father beamed with a large spectacle obscuring his small face.
"This is beautiful" he said, the smile splitting his face into halves
"Distinction all through?" he was surprised as if that was not his request
"You must go to a science class" he had told him this a billionth time even before he could spelt the word science.

And the present? He was in his hometown to marry his betrothed. Although the engagement was not a formal one but there's an understanding between the two families that their children would get married in the future. It was his father's suggestion. She was the second child of his late father's friend and three years younger than he was. His father again thought it would be best to marry her when she's at the right age of 27. According to him, she would have attained the higher qualification; M.s.c and PHD in view.It was quite sad his father was late, he would have been happy to watch his reaction when he realized his plan failed. The said lady got into the university very late, with strike at LAUTECH, she graduated at 25. NYSC added another year to her age. And today she is Olaonipekun Adunni, a Yoruba graduate. Although he had no issue with her course, but he knew his father would thought she was not good enough for him.
When his cousin greeted him with the "news". At first he thought he was joking. Why, he was the same person who joked on their uncle's wedding that his wife-to-be was kidnapped. Being a politician, it was highly believed. The whole family was thrown into panic. Important calls were made to the securities before he stupidly announced that he was jesting.
One would have thought that after the massacre he received that day, he would be sensible enough to know some subjects are not to be joked with. He instead ignored him climbing the stairs in twos and threes eager to eat the meal cook made for him. He was halfway into his food when he saw an invitation card with his betrothed name boldly written on it and the wedding was tomorrow.
He realized he had been deceiving himself living a sham of life mapped out for him. And for twenty nine years, three hundred and fifty four days, he was deceived.
Tomorrow, he has to start living on his own terms.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Make Me A Wife by oyinda1242(f): 5:30pm On Feb 24, 2017
following....

4 Likes

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 6:43pm On Feb 24, 2017
Ttt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 9:01pm On Feb 24, 2017
Make me a wife

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:38pm On Feb 24, 2017
It looks promising at first glance. Following, I'll edit after I read.

3 Likes

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 11:04am On Feb 25, 2017
A merry knock on the

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Make Me A Wife by xaviercasmir(m): 12:15pm On Feb 25, 2017
nice one . Keep it up

3 Likes

Re: Make Me A Wife by oyinda1242(f): 1:09pm On Feb 25, 2017
really really cool.....
Re: Make Me A Wife by Zeinymira(f): 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2017
following
Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 5:50pm On Feb 25, 2017

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by EllaGold35(f): 6:10pm On Feb 25, 2017
following
Re: Make Me A Wife by xaviercasmir(m): 6:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
intresting
Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 9:19pm On Feb 25, 2017
End of chapter one

I appreciate those that have comment so far. Please more comments I want to know your thought about the story Who is the betrayal?

5 Likes

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 8:51pm On Feb 26, 2017

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 10:50pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ayooluwawamiri
Osho213
adeniyi1997
kindly drop ur comments

judette
dammyluv911
Re: Make Me A Wife by EniolaEwa(f): 9:19am On Feb 27, 2017
pls continue

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 10:23am On Mar 01, 2017
"Where am I?" Olaronke said, the fog of sleep she was

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 1:02pm On Mar 01, 2017
MMAW

1 Like

Re: Make Me A Wife by Missmossy(f): 2:32pm On Mar 01, 2017
Interesting plot, its confusing sometimes though. Try to work more on the organization of characters. Keep it coming, following.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 3:02pm On Mar 01, 2017
Missmossy:
Interesting plot, its confusing sometimes though. Try to work more on the organization of characters. Keep it coming, following.

I only have the story outline in my head. I've been too busy to put it down in a paper and I don't want the story to fade away. That's why I opened a new account to write. Thank you for following. I will work on the characters like you said.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by Zeinymira(f): 9:45pm On Mar 01, 2017
dd
Re: Make Me A Wife by charytea(f): 10:36pm On Mar 01, 2017
Wow! Beautiful o... More updates please

2 Likes

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 9:19am On Mar 03, 2017
Two days later,

He expelled a long push of air from his lungs and flexed the tension from his fingers. He would not allow one frustrated sixty seven year old man to provoke him. All anger do to him these days was to leave him with a pounding head without resolving a thing. Right now, he was behind his wheel ready to leave his hometown before the gateman let in the unwanted guest.

Mr Olaonipekun stood unmoved before the vehicle despite the boy's threat to knock him down. He was a loving father who would do anything for his children. Right now Olaronke needed his help to right her life and that was why he was here.
"Get down from that car you stupid boy" he said with his fist connecting with the bonnet.
Wande contemplated whether it was wise to leave the car or run the man down like he threatened. He should have left for Lagos earlier. As early as 5am. It was seven in the morning and this old man threatened last night he would be in his house first thing in the morning with his daughter. Where is she?
He watched his late father's friend called someone on his phone. Before he could guess who, the gate opened wider allowing in two cars. He watched in amazement as Bolarinwa unload boxes from the car's boot. This was no longer funny. They have brought him a forsaken woman with her properties. If her fiancée could left her on her wedding day, so would he. He got out of his car in anger. He no longer cared to control his emotion and its consequence. He was about to face his friend Bolarinwa when he saw two of his uncles.
"Good morning sir" Wande prostrated to them
"Greet yourself. Alabosi (hypocrite). Was it not last night you ended the call on me and refused to pick my calls" one of his uncle said.
"I'm sorry sir" he apologized
"Come inside sir, let's talk" he said again
"Now you are behaving like a well mannered child. My in-law don't be annoyed. Let's go inside and resolved this" Uncle Ladipo pleaded with Mr Olaonipekun while he watched with his jaw almost hitting the ground. My in-law? He was doomed.
The three elderly men found their way inside the house they were familiar with. Their heart heavy with grief for their late friend and brother who was now residing at the other side of the world for the past nine years.
"Bola, what is all this nonsense?" he asked his friend.
They had spent most of their childhood life together he could almost call him his brother. But what should he made of his betrayal? Bola had never told him his sister was engaged not to talk of getting married.
Bolarinwa stopped what he was doing and stared at his friend who was the same height as him. Their haircut was classy and professional with their beards shining. As they grew older and free from their fathers clutches, they had reviewed their sense of fashion. Gone was the young secondary school boy barbing last skin because his father instructed him to.
"What do you want to hear from me Wande? That I betrayed you? Just like you I didn't know she was engaged. We were never close. And it was all my fault. if I hadn't driven her away with my stupidity she would never have met that nitwit. I am only here out of family loyalty and because it is the best. You have to marry her"
"What is all this insanity? I will not marry her" he said screaming.
Bola merely shrugged and continued with his task. It had took him the whole of yesterday packing her things which were mostly designers. How was she able to afford them? Their family was an average Nigerian. And she was only a secondary school teacher. It must have been her fiancée. Why would he leave her after spending a large sum on her? Olaronke was unable to answer the many questions thrown at her by her family.She was mute from the moment she opened her eyes. He felt sorry for her and wished he could lay his hand on that buffoon who shattered her heart. He heard a small cry from the car. It was his sister.
"Ronke" he said as he slid into the car
Her eyes was red with tears, she looked lost and pale. He held her onto his chest begging her not to cry.
"I won't get over him" she whispered. If the car had not been dead silent he wouldn't have heard her.
"Adunni, you have to. You must get over this. You must not send yourself to the edge of insanity because of this trial" he said
" I am sorry. I wish I could redo my mistakes. I was surprised when you called me in school that day, and I replied foolishly " he apologized to her.
She looked up at him with her teary eyes. After that day she met Oluwaniyi, she swore off all relationships with her family. She never called her father unless he called her. Her brother had phoned, texted her but she never returned the gestures. Now she was here all alone with her family. Oluwaniyi who was her everything left her cold.
"Why did you stop playing with me?" she could remember him those days their mother was still living. They ate together. He took her everywhere.
"When mother died, you were very silent just like you have been these two days. I tried talking to you but you ignored me. It got worse when you threw a knife at me because I said mother died. See here" he showed her a very small scar beside his left ear.
"I did this?" she was shocked
"Yes. After that I went to a boarding school and we grew apart" he explained.
"I am sorry" she apologized to him
It's fine. So tell me, you like pink?"
"Very much. And you?" she asked
"Grey" he laughed when she wrinkled her nose.
"You don't like it?" he asked her.
"Too dull" she answered
"And the nude painting?" he was beyond shocked when he saw it.
With her permission, he had removed it from the wall and kept it where no one would thought to look.
"It seminude" she corrected shyly
The house looked bigger than it was and his long strides was in no match for the compound that seemed to drag long. His intuition warned him he would not get out of this unscathed. And his brain gave him a one million dollar advice"Get into your car and leave". But he was too stubborn to listen. it was only a week ago he made a vow never to allow anyone to control his life. Not those three old men. No one would dare.
He met his father's cronies entertaining themselves with wine. They seem happy with whatever they might have planned. They might be older but he was just a man like them. A thirty year old man.
"Babawande, we came here because your father here...."
Wande almost rolled his eyeballs out at the word "your father"
"came to report you that you refused to marry his daughter promised to you" his uncle said
"Uncle Ladipo. Yes I am aware that my Father wanted me to marry Adunni but the betrothal was informal and she has gone ahead to marry someone else" he calmly explained
"She's not married but only attempted to get married" Mr Olaonipekun corrected
Wande could not remember the last time he cried. But he could cry now, Mr Olaonipekun was driving him into frustration with his baseless argument.
"I called you when she was twenty one that you should come with your family so you can fixed the wedding date. Did I not?" Mr Olaonipekun asked him
"I should marry a girl that barely had an admission" he replied screaming
"Are you a bastard? Shouting at your father in-law? I will slap that your dirty mouth" his other uncle threatened
"I am sorry sir" he apologized while prostrating.
"Prostration doesn't necessarily translate to morals. Minutes ago he was threatening to knock me down with his car. Shior (Rubbish)" Mr Olaonipekun said hissing.
At this point, Wande was tired. His brows were drenched with sweat. He wished he was somewhere far where he wouldn't have to humor some old men out of culture or respect. He studied their old faces, age was already telling on them with few wrinkles here and there. His supposed father in-law looked tired and drawn. He could imagine what he must have been through for the past seventy two hours. His cousin had told him the wedding had ended in tears for the bride and her guests. The hall was destroyed by the fighting Alaga iduros, the guests present had tried to intervene but the women were fighting out their five year old grudge. One was accusing the other of spreading lies about her and calling her a husband snatcher. The security man phoned the police and they came to arrest everyone present.
It was the worst wedding of the century, guests bailing

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2017
To be continue
Re: Make Me A Wife by priestchurch(m): 5:45pm On Mar 03, 2017
Good job.. More updates Pls...

1 Like

Re: Make Me A Wife by Alennsar(f): 9:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
more updates oooooo

1 Like

Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 7:31pm On Mar 04, 2017
I was banned by this antispam whatever for 24 hours. I could not find the reply button
Re: Make Me A Wife by degelinglacis: 8:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
"
She sighed with relief.
"Join me on Twitter" she said

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Me A Wife by Zeinymira(f): 2:42pm On Mar 07, 2017
update o
Re: Make Me A Wife by smokeydrinky: 6:16pm On Mar 07, 2017
Interesting......... Pls update, I love the story line
Re: Make Me A Wife by Nmaglit: 7:38pm On Mar 07, 2017
I love ur story pls keep it up n pls mention me in ur next post

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / The Journal Of A Nymphomaniac / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.