Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,435 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated (6107 Views)

Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? / Does Religion Impede Development? / Does Religion Really Matter To God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 8:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you a traditionalist?

Nothing wrong with being a tradtionalist

4 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by davidhume1: 9:37pm On Aug 20, 2014
If you're equating education to enlightenment, then YES, religion CAN hinder education.

Any form of thinking that makes you accept a proposition as fact without any form of solid proof will surely hinder education.

Religion has a way of getting your mind made up, even before you encounter an issue. Therefore you can't assess any issue without some bias.

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 12:41am On Aug 21, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You are confusing yourself. We don't call the universe God but the handiwork of God. You need to understand that Observational science is different from origin science. The theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of the universe.
whatever floats your boat

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:59am On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Nothing wrong with being a tradtionalist

Are you also a traditionalist?
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What does it matter?
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 5:02pm On Aug 21, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Yes, amongst other Fulani people I promote Pulaaku and encourage them to embrace it instead of wannabe dressing like Arab ways, and to wear Fulani clothes. I also tell other Africans to never forget their language and stop behaving like wannabe whites. I tell them Africans (all Africans not just Fulani) to stop being brainwashed by white media in regards to their ancestors. I'm a proud traditionalist.

3 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Sunymoore(m): 6:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
1ord: No they believed it was flat the bible even says so. Hence they tried to submerge research and discredit the belief it was round threatning astronomers with heresies and other backwards bull.shi.t. Truth be told Christianity has been one of the most oppressive religions. They committed lots of extra judicial killings in the name of God oppressed scientific research and medicine in the name of heresy and killed anyone who didn't oblige. That is why Illuminati came about. It was established by free thinkers so they could practice and research facts and share their discoveries in secrecy hidden from the persecutions of the catholic church.The Illuminati means the enlightened ones
Quoted
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Here is my problem with people who are overly religious, I don't think they reason properly. Sometimes they think that God will perform a miracle out of the sky, but that's not how life works. God wants to see you move so that you can move with God. You take 1 grand step, and God will back you up.

There are people out there who don't take their children to hospitals when they fall sick because they believe that 'God will help them.' There is a reason why hospitals exist in the first place. God placed people on this earth to be innovative and creative and not to depend on God for everything. The Almighty created humans to be self-sufficient and to be adaptable to their surroundings.

There is substance in your words, we need to make effort in life and not expect miracle frm heaven to solve all our problems for now. however, we should NOT seek first the world, then the kingdom second!

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by nora544: 9:36pm On Aug 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Here is my problem with people who are overly religious, I don't think they reason properly. Sometimes they think that God will perform a miracle out of the sky, but that's not how life works. God wants to see you move so that you can move with God. You take 1 grand step, and God will back you up.

There are people out there who don't take their children to hospitals when they fall sick because they believe that 'God will help them.' There is a reason why hospitals exist in the first place. God placed people on this earth to be innovative and creative and not to depend on God for everything. The Almighty created humans to be self-sufficient and to be adaptable to their surroundings.

In America they found out that 200 kids must die in about 10 years because their parents believe that God will heal them and when they look must a kid die on flu or pneumonia, they give no vaccine, because they believe God will heal and when they live a life without sin they will not get sick and when they get sick than they mad a sin.

3 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:29pm On Aug 22, 2014
Apatheist:

What does it matter?

It matters because I've discovered that most atheist wannabees are either new agers or traditionalists.
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

It matters because I've discovered that most atheist wannabees are either new agers or traditionalists.
Atheist wannabes?
Define "new ager"
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2014
Apatheist:

Atheist wannabes?
Define "new ager"

Are you saying that you are an atheist? Google is your friend for the meaning of "New Ager." wink
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 4:59pm On Aug 22, 2014
macof:

and the West u see today also had hut houses

Education isn't western. personally I have realized African education is more into nature and truth than western style education...many things u learn in school today are to drive a propaganda
Nope propaganda is driven by news networks and not scientific findings.I understand your trying to defend african like education but there is no denying it .Fact is development wise Africa is slow because african styled education is sorta primitive.Yes the west had hut houses but now they have skyscrappers. Africa had hut houses why cant we transition to the next phase ? and copy our western counter parts. Look at south korea after their civil war with the north they used the western format in rebuilding their societies and now they are one of the largest econmies in the world(with over a trillion dollars . What is more truthful the earth is spherical or oduduwa created the earth with a chicken(I have forgotten the yoruba myth but it goes something like that).Truths are facts and from what i know african like education is not factual, without facts there will be no development without development we will still be living in mud houses and pounding twin babies(akwa ibom). People should pls get with this script or are y'all still learners?
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 5:01pm On Aug 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you saying that you are an atheist? Google is your friend for the meaning of "New Ager." wink
Have you met these people in real life or did you make your conclusion from a few comments on a thread.
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:07pm On Aug 22, 2014
1ord:

Have you met these people in real life or did you make your conclusion from a few comments on a thread.

Read up the meaning of New Ager and see whether it applies to you. cool
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 11:21am On Aug 23, 2014
1ord: Nope propaganda is driven by news networks and not scientific findings.I understand your trying to defend african like education but there is no denying it .Fact is development wise Africa is slow because african styled education is sorta primitive.Yes the west had hut houses but now they have skyscrappers. Africa had hut houses why cant we transition to the next phase ? and copy our western counter parts . Look at south korea after their civil war with the north they used the western format in rebuilding their societies and now they are one of the largest econmies in the world(with over a trillion dollars . What is more truthful the earth is spherical or oduduwa created the earth with a chicken(I have forgotten the Yoruba myth but it goes something like that).Truths are facts and from what i know african like education is not factual, without facts there will be no development without development we will still be living in mud houses and pounding twin babies(akwa ibom). People should pls get with this script or are y'all still learners?

You type I have come across many times.

The bold is Africa's problem, copy...we try to copy the West and forget our heritage. Korea that u mentioned never copied the West, they built on their heritage

It is only Africa that watever comes from abroad is rated the highest. We hate ourselves, how can the world see anything good in Africa when Africans don't see anything good in Being African.

I blame Foreign religions tho.

You talk of oduduwa creating earth with a chicken...yes, Oduduwa did. If you don't understand the story that's your problem

Ifa patakis are not like Bible stories

Every civilization in the world talks about creation with symbolism.. It's ur problem if you can't decode symbolism

There's absolutely nothing primitive about African education. The West learnt from Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 1:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
macof:

You type I have come across many times.

The bold is Africa's problem, copy...we try to copy the West and forget our heritage. Korea that u mentioned never copied the West, they built on their heritage

It is only Africa that watever comes from abroad is rated the highest. We hate ourselves, how can the world see anything good in Africa when Africans don't see anything good in Being African.

I blame Foreign religions tho.

You talk of oduduwa creating earth with a chicken...yes, Oduduwa did. If you don't understand the story that's your problem

Ifa patakis are not like Bible stories

Every civilization in the world talks about creation with symbolism.. It's ur problem if you can't decode symbolism

There's absolutely nothing primitive about African education. The West learnt from Africa
Nope the earth was not created with a chicken and it is spherical the former is bullshit the latter is education. I learnt about the yoruba myth in high school and its heritage since i am yoruba yes the whole heritage stuff is nice but any information that can not be applied to take us to the next level is absolutely irrelevant .Look to the future and not the past .Did i give any inclination that i was religious whatsoever? Pls don't let sentiments cause you to make depraved decisions because any problem in Nigeria is not western it is Nigerian. There was no symbolism involved all that was involved was a chicken. I am not saying drop african education but i still have no idea what that is , but drop whatever is inefficient and has no productivity and anything that doesnt work should be dropped. How do you expect anyone to see any good in Nigeria when we are so backward. Can you blame me? I interprete data as it is and from what i know with Nigerias population man power and arable land and oil reserves we are doing a mediocre job. Although our Gdp grows at 8% per annum that is still very slow in comparison to what we is obainable look at the growth of malaysia they received independence around the same time as us. Look at the Singaporean and south Korean economic and technological revolution. Interpret things as they are and not as you wish them to be .Nigeria will get there but not by telling children oduduwa created the earth with a chicken but by proper education.Just to clarify what exactly is african education?
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 3:44pm On Aug 23, 2014
1ord: Nope the earth was not created with a chicken and it is spherical the former is bullshit the latter is education. I learnt about the yoruba myth in high school and its heritage since i am yoruba yes the whole heritage stuff is nice but any information that can not be applied to take us to the next level is absolutely irrelevant .Look to the future and not the past .Did i give any inclination that i was religious whatsoever? Pls don't let sentiments cause you to make depraved decisions because any problem in Nigeria is not western it is Nigerian. There was no symbolism involved all that was involved was a chicken. I am not saying drop african education but i still have no idea what that is , but drop whatever is inefficient and has no productivity and anything that doesnt work should be dropped. How do you expect anyone to see any good in Nigeria when we are so backward. Can you blame me? I interprete data as it is and from what i know with Nigerias population man power and arable land and oil reserves we are doing a mediocre job. Although our Gdp grows at 8% per annum that is still very slow in comparison to what we is obainable look at the growth of malaysia they received independence around the same time as us. Look at the Singaporean and south Korean economic and technological revolution. Interpret things as they are and not as you wish them to be .Nigeria will get there but not by telling children oduduwa created the earth with a chicken but by proper education.Just to clarify what exactly is african education?

I say it again.

Oduduwa created the world with a chicken and a bag of sand.
If you take this literally and miss the message that's your problem not mine or my ancestor's

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 10:41pm On Aug 23, 2014
macof:

I say it again.

Oduduwa created the world with a chicken and a bag of sand.
If you take this literally and miss the message that's your problem not mine or my ancestor's
Please can you enlighten me on what the message is because i seem to be very stupid. And also pls tell me how that information contributes to Nigeria economically and socially. Furthermore how does such principles foster unity peace and lead to less corruption in the Nigerian society.I must be really st.up.id.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Question For The JWs: Why "Jehovah Witnesses" And Not "Jesus Witnesses"? / Always Put God First In Your Life ( Tithing ) - By Zac Poonen / Maundy Thursday - The Beginning Of Easter Triduum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.