Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,789 members, 7,956,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:31 PM

Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated (6224 Views)

Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? / Does Religion Impede Development? / Does Religion Really Matter To God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 1:13am On Aug 14, 2014
1ord: No they believed it was flat the bible even says so. Hence they tried to submerge research and discredit the belief it was round threatning astronomers with heresies and other backwards bull.shi.t. Truth be told Christianity has been one of the most oppressive religions. They committed lots of extra judicial killings in the name of God oppressed scientific research and medicine in the name of heresy and killed anyone who didn't oblige. That is why Illuminati came about. It was established by free thinkers so they could practice and research facts and share their discoveries in secrecy hidden from the persecutions of the catholic church.The Illuminati means the enlightened ones

Cc rattlesnake smiley
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by tijjanioyan: 12:28pm On Aug 14, 2014
The first woman 2win Nobel Prize 4 Mathematics is Iranian.Maryam Mirzakhani is a professor at stanford University,CALIFORNIA.
Iran is a muslim &islamic nation every body knows how it has advanced in terms of science &technology.anybody dat is fighting against education is just like a prsn who is making use of flashlight in darkness &calling 4 d destruction of batteries.THOSE dat are against western education are victims of endtime delusion.
ISLAM is SCIENCE & Science is Islam.google 'The Scientific Miracle In The Quran' you'll get some answers 2ur question
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
tijjanioyan: The first woman 2win Nobel Prize 4 Mathematics is Iranian.Maryam Mirzakhani is a professor at stanford University,CALIFORNIA.
Iran is a muslim &islamic nation every body knows how it has advanced in terms of science &technology.anybody dat is fighting against education is just like a prsn who is making use of flashlight in darkness &calling 4 d destruction of batteries.THOSE dat are against western education are victims of endtime delusion.
ISLAM is SCIENCE & Science is Islam.google 'The Scientific Miracle In The Quran' you'll get some answers 2ur question

There really is no such thing as western education so to say. The west did not invent education. But thanks for the contribution.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
I guess islam makes people terrorists and Blood sucking demons
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by tijjanioyan: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fulaman198:

There really is no such thing as western education so to say. The west did not invent education. But thanks for the contribution.
u're welcome

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Empiree: 5:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
onetrack: To borrow from Richard Dawkins, religion teaches people to be satisfied with not understanding the world. This has not been universally true but in many cases people have used religion to stop people from asking too many questions.

I don't agree with this. Maybe partially. I think reverse is the case. I think education means different things to different people. Understanding religion itself is education. I think many tend to think that when they hear the word " education" it automatically gives them sense of "western education". This is wrong. Secular education does not penetrates spiritual insight.
As for saying Islam is not open to education, that's irrelevant. A famous saying is reported in Islam thus:
" Seeking knowledge is obligatory for males and females" Hadith Qudsi
#justsaying#
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 5:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: I guess islam makes people terrorists and Blood sucking demons

Look at what I have become today for example, jk

That's why one can't generalise about religions. But overall, I think most people who overpractise ANY religion (even African traditional religions) are prone to some form of brainwashing. This is why I believe in secularism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:32pm On Aug 14, 2014
Better

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 6:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
Illuminatus: I don't know for certain about Islam and how open it is (seeing as I have heard from various sources that it is against Western Education), but Christianity is quite open and definitely promotes education (except some parts). As long as your field of study isn't Astronomy or other disciplines that come against Christian beliefs (Galileo comes to mind here), Christianity is quite open and to level, encourages it.
But education does hold people back from religion. The more enlightened someone becomes, the less intriguing and interesting religion becomes. I think this is the reason for the myth that educated people aren't religious. Enlightenment gotten from education (reading other people's ideas, experiences and scientific facts) exposes some facts and poses some questions that religious people and religion can't answer...
true, a lot of intelligent minds especially in the science field have openly questioned and defiled religious beliefs with various questions left unanswered with baseless excuses
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 6:55pm On Aug 14, 2014
1ord: No they believed it was flat the bible even says so. Hence they tried to submerge research and discredit the belief it was round threatning astronomers with heresies and other backwards bull.shi.t. Truth be told Christianity has been one of the most oppressive religions. They committed lots of extra judicial killings in the name of God oppressed scientific research and medicine in the name of heresy and killed anyone who didn't oblige. That is why Illuminati came about. It was established by free thinkers so they could practice and research facts and share their discoveries in secrecy hidden from the persecutions of the catholic church.The Illuminati means the enlightened ones
Yet the same evil church and all equally evil Christian societies tagged the Illuminati a satanic organization.
Truth be told christianity gives the impression that knowledge came from their satan, because right from Genesis 3 knowledge has been tagged "Satanic"
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 7:01pm On Aug 14, 2014
tijjanioyan: The first woman 2win Nobel Prize 4 Mathematics is Iranian.Maryam Mirzakhani is a professor at stanford University,CALIFORNIA.

Lol this must be a joke grin

Islam is science the same Islam that says the sky is a concrete that holds water.
Stars are weapons against satan
The Sun sets in a spring??

Is this the science education you are proud of?

3 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
The problem isn't even the religious doctrines but rather the demand for faith in them which demands rejecting other forms of information which lead to education

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by macof(m): 7:07pm On Aug 14, 2014
erabe: Not really,tho u might go through some proves or theories that contradict some laws of your faith but I still think it depends on what you believe in. Basics, know your religion very well perfect your faith b4 or during the course of you getting educated so when it becomes a fundamental in you nothing can get you off the right course

And when you believe the earth is flat by faith you have chosen to reject education.
Ur Faith here is the enemy of enlightenment

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by onetrack(m): 8:54pm On Aug 14, 2014
Empiree:

I don't agree with this. Maybe partially. I think reverse is the case. I think education means different things to different people. Understanding religion itself is education. I think many tend to think that when they hear the word " education" it automatically gives them sense of "western education". This is wrong. Secular education does not penetrates spiritual insight.
As for saying Islam is not open to education, that's irrelevant. A famous saying is reported on Islam thus:
" Seeking knowledge is obligatory for male and female" Hadith Qudsi
#justsaying#

And if you seek knowledge and come to believe that the Quran is not the word of god and Muhammad was not a prophet?

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Empiree: 8:56pm On Aug 14, 2014
[s]
onetrack:

And if you seek knowledge and come to believe that the Quran is not the word of god and Muhammad was not a prophet?
[/s]
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 11:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
macof:
true, a lot of intelligent minds especially in the science field have openly questioned and defiled religious beliefs with various questions left unanswered with baseless excuses

I think Gods exist, but it's completely ridiculous when people completely and utterly disregard science.
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by LordReed(m): 7:09am On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think Gods exist, but it's completely ridiculous when people completely and utterly disregard science.

I think there is a little bit of miscommunication here. Are we talking about accepting scientific findings or are we talking of going to school?

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by nora544: 8:22am On Aug 15, 2014
LordReed:

I think there is a little bit of miscommunication here. Are we talking about accepting scientific findings or are we talking of going to school?

You are right because this are two different pair of shoes!

When you read this you will find that many scientist come from the roman catholic church.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_Catholic_scientist-clerics

Many Roman Catholic clerics throughout history have made significant contributions to science. These cleric-scientists include such illustrious names as Nicolaus Copernicus, Gregor Mendel, Georges Lemaître, Albertus Magnus, Roger Bacon, Pierre Gassendi, Roger Joseph Boscovich, Marin Mersenne, Bernard Bolzano, Francesco Maria Grimaldi, Nicole Oresme, Jean Buridan, Robert Grosseteste, Christopher Clavius, Nicolas Steno, Athanasius Kircher, Giovanni Battista Riccioli, William of Ockham, and others listed below. The Catholic Church has also produced many lay scientists and mathematicians.

The Jesuits in particular have made numerous significant contributions to the development of science. For example, the Jesuits have dedicated significant study to earthquakes, and seismology has been described as "the Jesuit science." The Jesuits have been described as "the single most important contributor to experimental physics in the seventeenth century." According to Jonathan Wright in his book God's Soldiers, by the eighteenth century the Jesuits had "contributed to the development of pendulum clocks, pantographs, barometers, reflecting telescopes and microscopes, to scientific fields as various as magnetism, optics and electricity. They observed, in some cases before anyone else, the colored bands on Jupiter’s surface, the Andromeda nebula and Saturn’s rings. They theorized about the circulation of the blood (independently of Harvey), the theoretical possibility of flight, the way the moon effected the tides, and the wave-like nature of light
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by tijjanioyan: 8:27am On Aug 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: I guess islam makes people terrorists and Blood sucking demons
eyaaa! U stil dey smoke dat tin?

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 15, 2014
I feel religion holds people back from using their mind it places a limit on how far they should think,examine,inquire,expand.

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Elijah78: 3:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
Yes, i strongly believe religion hold people from being educated because i see semi educated folks around who say God called them so they stopped school and are pursuing careers in pastor, teachers, prophets, apostles, evangelists etc. Now all they do is invite me to your house your house so i can come and pray for you, just pay my transport. Honor a prophet and receive a prophets reward.
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
LordReed:

Scientific or technological findings are one of the concepts that equate to education. When you have a developed or strong nation that does not revel in religion, they are more prone to discover technological and scientific advancing solutions.

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by nora544: 5:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

Scientific or technological findings are one of the concepts that equate to education. When you have a developed or strong nation that does not revel in religion, they are more prone to discover technological and scientific advancing solutions.

Yeah that is tru.

I see it in my country we have youth research every year and it is for kids from the secondary schools in the hole country and the best 3 groups will get a price we have it now since more than 15 years and shows what they can find out.

I see that religion like you have it in nigeria is not good for the education because when kid hear in the sunday school that praying and fasting will heal them and when they make no sin they will not get ill so why this people should start to search for a new drug.

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by LordReed(m): 7:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

I think then your topic should not have had education but rather scientific advancement.

Education in its general sense is a form of
learning in which the knowledge , skills , and
habits of a group of people are transferred
from one generation to the next through
teaching, training, or research.

Learning is happening all the time whether in western styled formal schools or in the less formal groupings. If you look at education this way then you'd be hard pressed to make a case for religion holding back education.

Religion has hardly interfered with the systems of education but rather it has tried to curtail the content (which generally is the science part and it's attendant developments).

An interesting read:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_education
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 8:58pm On Aug 15, 2014
LordReed:

I think then your topic should not have had education but rather scientific advancement.

Education in its general sense is a form of
learning in which the knowledge , skills , and
habits of a group of people are transferred
from one generation to the next through
teaching, training, or research.

Learning is happening all the time whether in western styled formal schools or in the less formal groupings. If you look at education this way then you'd be hard pressed to make a case for religion holding back education.

Religion has hardly interfered with the systems of education but rather it has tried to curtail the content (which generally is the science part and it's attendant developments).

An interesting read:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_education

The point I also made earlier is that there is no such thing as "Western education" it's all a farce. Education (scientific, technological, etc.) is a global thing.

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
nora544:

You are right because this are two different pair of shoes!

When you read this you will find that many scientist come from the roman catholic church.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_Catholic_scientist-clerics

Many Roman Catholic clerics throughout history have made significant contributions to science. These cleric-scientists include such illustrious names as Nicolaus Copernicus, Gregor Mendel, Georges Lemaître, Albertus Magnus, Roger Bacon, Pierre Gassendi, Roger Joseph Boscovich, Marin Mersenne, Bernard Bolzano, Francesco Maria Grimaldi, Nicole Oresme, Jean Buridan, Robert Grosseteste, Christopher Clavius, Nicolas Steno, Athanasius Kircher, Giovanni Battista Riccioli, William of Ockham, and others listed below. The Catholic Church has also produced many lay scientists and mathematicians.

The Jesuits in particular have made numerous significant contributions to the development of science. For example, the Jesuits have dedicated significant study to earthquakes, and seismology has been described as "the Jesuit science." The Jesuits have been described as "the single most important contributor to experimental physics in the seventeenth century." According to Jonathan Wright in his book God's Soldiers, by the eighteenth century the Jesuits had "contributed to the development of pendulum clocks, pantographs, barometers, reflecting telescopes and microscopes, to scientific fields as various as magnetism, optics and electricity. They observed, in some cases before anyone else, the colored bands on Jupiter’s surface, the Andromeda nebula and Saturn’s rings. They theorized about the circulation of the blood (independently of Harvey), the theoretical possibility of flight, the way the moon effected the tides, and the wave-like nature of light
See you might be right but this doesn't mean the earlier catholic church didn't persecute free thinkers to hold on to power over the masses. please learn or study history of various scientific minds the Catholic church persecuted due to heresies. When they realized their jig was up they tried to pull a fast one. But history cant be changed. You just choose a piece of the picture to suit your prerogative. Please try been less bias with information i have a penchant hatred for confirmation or information bias aka half truths.Truth is the clerics were aware of scientific discoveries and facts they choose to control rather than share it to hold unto power. That is why they have vast archives of knowledge ancient manuscripts and texts no one is privy to access. Because knowledge is power and the power to withhold knowledge is Godly albeit wicked through this knowledge they can control the masses. That is why access to the catholic churches archives is impossible. When given consent to research you are ascribed a patrol officer to monitor you and prevent you from access to certain knowledge. The problem i have is what are they hiding.

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Horus(m): 9:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
90% of the Muslim world is illiterate. Islam appeals to the uneducated or those who just want religion without investigating the facts. Maybe this is because Muslims boast of how Muhammad was unlearnt, and uneducated, as found in Koran 7:158.
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by LordReed(m): 6:02am On Aug 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

The point I also made earlier is that there is no such thing as "Western education" it's all a farce. Education (scientific, technological, etc.) is a global thing.

I didn't mention western education, I wrote western styled formal schools so I do take cognizance of the difference.

I doubt there is any nation on earth currently that has no university or professors no matter how religious the nation.
Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by 1ord: 6:32am On Aug 16, 2014
LordReed:

I didn't mention western education, I wrote western styled formal schools so I do take cognizance of the difference.

I doubt there is any nation on earth currently that has no university or professors no matter how religious the nation.
And that is a good thing. Western or not .I would rather live in a western styled house than in the forest in a mud hut like my ancestors? This is the way forward. Western styled education or whatever is just education it is global people should get with the script.

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Fulaman198(m): 6:40am On Aug 16, 2014
Horus: 90% of the Muslim world is illiterate. Islam appeals to the uneducated or those who just want religion without investigating the facts. Maybe this is because Muslims boast of how Muhammad was unlearnt, and uneducated, as found in Koran 7:158.

Now you are talking out of your ars.e

UAE, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Kuwait, etc. check up their literacy rates

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 16, 2014
Yes, I believe it does. Not always, but yeah... undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 16, 2014
Christianity encourages Divine Education. Even if you want to keep studying till you die, thats very fine. If the issue is about secular education that has no bearing on the scriptures, it means little to God. Granted, When secular education is meant to teach you how to read, write and speak. That's fine. But there should be moderation.

In the scriptures only few had to venture into secular education, though they did so cos they had no choice I think. Of course, they never allowed those things to be their preoccupation, rather Divine Education did.

Christians as temporal residents, do not pursue worldly knowledge as if it is what they are here for. As if it is the way to the solution mankind needs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Child Indoctrination / It Will End In TEARS AND MOURNING-A Prophecy About Nigeria In The Month Of June / Were Some Prayers Meant For God's Ears Alone? (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.