Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,554 members, 7,955,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:44 PM

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema (30788 Views)

Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by sammoe(m): 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2014
shakaz: didn't enjoy ''12 years a slave'' after all the hype, so I'm not surprise this one also turned out same way.
I taya o! Na small remain make I vex, untop wetin BAFTA and Oscar talk. No p.
Small tym me sef go show inside film.

Una go rush my film too!

grin
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by joseph1832(m): 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
enuel: Hmmm, that s something. Thanks for the prescription.
You are absolutely welcome.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by joseph1832(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
shoefreak: Chai. I for dey blame myself oooo. So that movie no be am? 12 years a slave" don dey hungry me to watch for a while ooo.

You should try reading the book, it contains details better than what you saw in the movie. If you prefer watching movies, then you should see the old one that starred Danny Glover, Its better than the one you saw.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Paentera(m): 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
dammytosh:

I beg to disagree with you. I saw the movie on friday.

The story line was awesome and the production is too good for a Nigerian Movie.

Guess you are a victim of 'over expectation' which happens for foriegn movies too.

I can guess accurately why the OP was disappointed - no War specifics to justify his long held beliefs. If the OP did read the book, he would realise that Half of A Yellow Sun was set around intrigues on a University Campus. Everything else was put there to manage the expectations within relationships during a conflict.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by maryhaam(f): 2:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
teeo: Instead of seeing that movie, I jejely saw Guardians of the galaxy.

No time to waste money
dope uu need c it is that bomb.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by JonCina(m): 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2014
amibonaija: This movie was over hyped, I have to rush and see it at cinema Delux. But it didn't meet my expectation.

I was expecting a detail of the civil was in picture but what I saw was like an abstract of the main thing.

Is this the "half of a Yellow. Sun" or should
we wait for another?

What is your view ?

Bros, na so! It is "half of a yellow sun" not the full "yellow sun".
That's why you didn't get the full detail of the civil war.

I got to the cinema and discovered that it was completely sold out so I couldn't see even the "rising of the sun".

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by UjSizzle(f): 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Briareos:

Swayed that easily, нυн?
lol no. You really didn't think I was going to a cinema to watch this movie, did you?
I'm not a big fan of Bollywood or hollynollywood. And from experience novels don't do so well as motion pictures undecided
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by doeying(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
yorke1: In other words or in summary, you are simply discouraging other people from going to see the movie.

he just discouraged me
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by tonychristopher: 3:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
joseph1832: I believe shes not in the position to write about the civil war because she didn't experience it. I tell those who care to listen that if they want a detail account of the civil war they should read Adewale Ademoyega's book: Why We Struck. Also Fredrick Forsythe: The Making Of An African Legend.

that's the problem with people of low reasoning

you don't need to experience it to live it or write it ...just simple research will do

and mind you the people that experienced it are still alive

if Nat geo can do a documentary of titanic or world war 1 that happened centuries ago what about civil war

the fact is that the movie was edited due to its sensational and touching scenes so as to let the lying dogs be. the igbos

there is an international version please look for it ...then do comparism and cticism
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chiezugolum: You should know that the Nigerian version was edited for 'national security' angry If you want to get the real action,it will be in cinema's outside Nigeria

I endorse this 100%. I just stepped out of Ozone cinema after watching it. Lot's of graphic scenes of civil war were removed for 'national security'. I will find a way to dowload the 'full untampered version on the internet.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by tonychristopher: 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
doeying:

he just discouraged me

never allow things to be seen from an imps eye

view it yourself ...don't be discouraged

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by omazus: 3:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
I can bet you that appreciation of work of Art is not an all-comers affair. No Art lover will ever tell you that film is over-rated. I watched it at Ozone Cinema from 9.10pm to 11.10pm on Friday and was locked out of my street gate because I arrived home late only to drive to a hotel to pass the night with my wife. But I don't regret it. The film is one of the best I have ever watched. If the op is telling me he is disappointed with the gap between the story as told in the book and the story as I acted I will agree with him. Indeed the story as acted is less than 5% of the story as written. But then it is always like that. I nearly cursed the producer of The Godfather for the discrepancy between the book and the film. The film is always empty but those who never read the book praise the film to high heavens. Well done to the producers of the film. And you know what right there in the cinema, an argument ensured between me and some others whether the massacre of Igbos as depicted in the film actually took place. After I convinced them it took place, all non-Igbo there agreed with me that Igbo response was a just cause.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by obioraval(m): 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
Vivly: You have to read the book first before jumping to the cinema so you'll watch with a mind free of war scenes expectations.
It's a love story that was set in the civil war era and not how soldier Okoro shot Soldier Musa.
tell them my dear. I saw the movie yesterday. More than half of those in the cinema with me had not even read the book... How then would they know it was a Love Story. every story has a Theme in Literature... The movie was a 9/10 for me(I can't give 10/10). I enjoyed Ojukwu's superb English during his speeches. And oh my... His beards... Lol... BIAFRA lives on in our Hearts...

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by obioraval(m): 3:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
AriDsexy:
I read purple hibiscus and half of a yellow sun but can't remember the story of purple hibiscus again.Pls can u give me a short summary,thanks.
PURPLE HIBISCUS: Fifteen-year-old Kambili's world is
circumscribed by the high walls and
frangipani trees of her family
compound. Her wealthy Catholic
father, under whose shadow Kambili
lives, while generous and politically
active in the community, is repressive
and fanatically religious at home.
When Nigeria begins to fall apart
under a military coup, Kambili's father
sends her and her brother away to stay
with their aunt, a University professor,
whose house is noisy and full of laughter. There,
Kambili and her brother discover a life and love
beyond the confines of their father's authority.
The visit will lift the silence from their world and,
in time, give rise to devotion and defiance that
reveal themselves in profound and unexpected
ways. This is a book about the promise of
freedom; about the blurred lines between
childhood and adulthood; between love and
hatred, between the old gods and the new.... Hope it refreshed your memory

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by joseph1832(m): 3:33pm On Aug 04, 2014
tonychristopher:

that's the problem with people of low reasoning

you don't need to experience it to live it or write it ...just simple research will do

and mind you the people that experienced it are still alive

if Nat geo can do a documentary of titanic or world war 1 that happened centuries ago what about civil war

the fact is that the movie wasos edited due to its sensational and touching scenes so as to let the lying dogs be. the igbo

there is an international version please look for it ...then do comparism and cticism

Your point sir is what I don't understand. The people I mentioned lived and experienced the war: Adewale Ademoyega was one of the coup plotters and he fought on the side of Biafra before he was imprisoned after the war. Fredrick Forsythe is a white man who wrote extensively about the civil war, he also interviewed some of the PMC hired by the Biafrans.

If you say the movie was 'edited due to its sensational and touching scenes so as to let the lying dogs be', then the movie is not authentic, rather its diluted. If one most get certain knowledge about a particular event, one most study and research all its aspects, devoid of sentiment and favouritism. I mentioned those authors because I know they have first hand experience of the civil war, Adichie on the other hand did not.

I believe you are smart enough to know the difference.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
A girl with strict father, all these 'fenced in kids' that most of us see in their cars and envy but in their own homes, it's the opposite. I don't really remember the details but it was about a religious home where the after thought everything was sin and was strict. Bla bla bla. Then they traveled or so, and had to live in a different kind of home that was different from theirs. Talk bout introverts and their power of imagination and longing. I think it was a missionary kinda thingy. Lemme confirm sha. But half... I loved loved the houseboy. how he would sit on the stairs and watch the gardner, and his description of the man's accent. And how mama dey mix juju hehehe... if it'd been screened from the eyes of the houseboy.."my good man" it would probably had been better sha.
AriDsexy:
I read purple hibiscus and half of a yellow sun but can't remember the story of purple hibiscus again.Pls can u give me a short summary,thanks.

Obioravla did justice to it ooo. I didn't see "half as a love story though... well sha. except for the hausa and the lady sha... and I remember the lorry trip or so. And the lady with the head...
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Caseless: 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
shakaz: didn't enjoy ''12 years a slave'' after all the hype, so I'm not surprise this one also turned out same way.
12 yrs a slave na true life story nau. What do u expect to see that's not there again?
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by candiva2013(m): 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2014
idupaul:

And since when did half a yellos sun become a big budget movie ..even the producers always say they had to work around a little budget by hollywood standards or did U mean big budget as per Nollywood
by nollywood standard
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by candiva2013(m): 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
purplekayc: most still deliver
yea, but nothing too special
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
. U must rily have a bad taste for gooood thingzz!
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
"Being defiant can be a good thing sometimes," Aunty Ifeoma said. "Defiance is like marijuana - it is not a bad thing when it is used right."

Purple Hibiscus
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by repogirl(f): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nobleval: curiosity made me to visit your blog now...but you're not consistent sad
smiley, yeah, I've not had the time to write.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by AriDsexy(f): 4:34pm On Aug 04, 2014
obioraval: PURPLE HIBISCUS: Fifteen-year-old Kambili's world is
circumscribed by the high walls and
frangipani trees of her family
compound. Her wealthy Catholic
father, under whose shadow Kambili
lives, while generous and politically
active in the community, is repressive
and fanatically religious at home.
When Nigeria begins to fall apart
under a military coup, Kambili's father
sends her and her brother away to stay
with their aunt, a University professor,
whose house is noisy and full of laughter. There,
Kambili and her brother discover a life and love
beyond the confines of their father's authority.
The visit will lift the silence from their world and,
in time, give rise to devotion and defiance that
reveal themselves in profound and unexpected
ways. This is a book about the promise of
freedom; about the blurred lines between
childhood and adulthood; between love and
hatred, between the old gods and the new.... Hope it refreshed your memory
Thank you,now I know I didn't finish the novel,I enjoyed half of a yellow sun the more.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by miky(m): 4:36pm On Aug 04, 2014
snadguy007: Abeg, for where i fit download am ??

goddamn it, just go pay for it

i enjoyed the movie sha
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by AriDsexy(f): 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2014
shoefreak: A girl with strict father, all these 'fenced in kids' that most of us see in their cars and envy but in their own homes, it's the opposite. I don't really remember the details but it was about a religious home where the after thought everything was sin and was strict. Bla bla bla. Then they traveled or so, and had to live in a different kind of home that was different from theirs. Talk bout introverts and their power of imagination and longing. I think it was a missionary kinda thingy. Lemme confirm sha. But half... I loved loved the houseboy. how he would sit on the stairs and watch the gardner, and his description of the man's accent. And how mama dey mix juju hehehe... if it'd been screened from the eyes of the houseboy.."my good man" it would probably had been better sha.

Obioravla did justice to it ooo. I didn't see "half as a love story though... well sha. except for the hausa and the lady sha... and I remember the lorry trip or so. And the lady with the head...
Sorry guys,I had to quote d long summary so she'll get my appreciation...thank u
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Barselonia(m): 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
kissinggourami:
Did this statement make you laugh?
I no even laff, I Dey grin
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
repogirl: smiley, yeah, I've not had the time to write.
pls do something about it.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Maxxme(m): 5:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
eledacedar: Probably it was due to the fact that the censor board mandated them to remove some scenes before showingit in Nigeria.
So we even have censor board in Nigeria? That's good
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Sacramento4real(m): 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
Abeg, for where i fit download am ??

Na everytin 9ja wan download o.small time now,una go dey find food to download.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by olaideslex(m): 7:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
thank you ooo, i have concluded plans to go see it over the weekend.
tot NonsenseWood have been transformed ni. let them keep making movies for the fools.
undecided tongue
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by enuel: 7:01pm On Aug 04, 2014
Just seeing it. And why are 4th series of movies always disappointing?
desdichando: Transformers 4 was overhyped
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by salomycruz: 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
mehn the movie is on point plz.....this the best Nigerian movie v seen dats sooo real

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I'm Dating A Billionaire - Princess, First Evicted BBNaija All Stars Housemate / Have You Ever Cried While Watching Films / BBNaija: Maria Nominates Six Housemates For Eviction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.