Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,623 members, 7,823,747 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema (30532 Views)

Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 04, 2014
K
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ocheejemb: 11:59am On Aug 04, 2014
amibonaija: This movie was over hyped, I have to rush and see it at cinema Delux. But it didn't meet my expectation.

I was expecting a detail of the civil was in picture but what I saw was like an abstract of the main thing.

Is this the "half of a Yellow. Sun" or should we wait for another?

What is your view ?

Have you read the book? If you had read the book you would know what to expect.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by freakcin: 12:01pm On Aug 04, 2014
@ OP: It was censored to remove graphic scenes depicting the civil war in order not to whip up unwanted sentiments!

Yet to see it though. Going by your response, I guess their aims were achieved.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Kenai: 12:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
LOL. A lot of people will walk into the cinema hoping to see a movie on the Civil War, but will be disappointed.
The movie was never about the Civil War. The movie is a fictional love story set in the period of the Civil War; not about the Civil War itself.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by shadowwalker101: 12:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Yh that's good
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by dozieo(m): 12:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
I heard its a very nice novel....maybe they couldn't interpret it very well to turn it into a good movie.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by olatpic(m): 12:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Really? O ya make I watch am first!
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ugoonuoha: 12:05pm On Aug 04, 2014
chumakk: pls don't spoil my mind. am planning to see it today smiley
Hello Chumakk, I'll advise you go and see the movie and form an opinion for yourself. Art appreciation is relative. It rubs each person differently.
In my humble opinion, I think it is a fabulous movie! Having read the book and the reviews online, I kinda went in with very low expectations, considering how good the book was; but I was pleasantly surprised at the end of the movie.
amibonaija: This movie was over hyped, I have to rush and see it at cinema Delux. But it didn't meet my expectation.
I was expecting a detail of the civil was in picture but what I saw was like an abstract of the main thing.
What is your view ?
It is not a WAR movie. It is a love/family story set to the backdrop of the Biafra war. If you want more info about the war, go watch doccies or read up on history (online). To me, a proper WAR movie would have been too controversial and a bit boring. Story-telling wins for me.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Balkan(m): 12:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
I saw the same movie with my wife on Saturday
and we were thrilled. the best movie so far and so touching
It deserves an award

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by nickz(m): 12:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
grin grin grin thank God say i no go do 'ITK' watch am;naso i go watch 'ironclad2' angry angry dey sleep for cinema
**patiently waitin for my alaba brodas** grin grin angry

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by dammytosh: 12:08pm On Aug 04, 2014

What is your view ?

I beg to disagree with you. I saw the movie on friday.

The story line was awesome and the production is too good for a Nigerian Movie.

Guess you are a victim of 'over expectation' which happens for foriegn movies too.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Bigzig(m): 12:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
Ooh sorry you know the way people over hype most things nowadays..I wonder like seriously.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by kissinggourami: 12:09pm On Aug 04, 2014
Barselonia: The real film never out na
that 1 Na preamble, Which Yoruba call ipolowo....
watch out for FULL OF A YELLOW SUN... grin
Did this statement make you laugh?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Chiezugolum: 12:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
You should know that the Nigerian version was edited for 'national security' angry If you want to get the real action,it will be in cinema's outside Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by DEALETH: 12:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
,.a.a.a1

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by lexrichy(m): 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
phrezzz: Haters get a lifee
maybe they should have yours.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
half of a yellow sun,half of a black moon...whatever they call it. Cool. I don't do those kinda movies. smiley
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by repogirl(f): 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
The books are usually better than the movies, you might find more details there, also you know the census board went through it after accusing the producers that the story was one sided so I guess they might have cut off some controversial scenes. I've not watched the movie sha, neither have I read the book, so you don't havta take my word for it.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
Balkan: I saw the same movie with my wife on Saturday
and we were thrilled. the best movie so far and so touching
It deserves an award
-1000 likes angry ...a joke. I like your postive comment bro smiley

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ritux: 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2014
I was at the Cinema yesterday for the movie. I think it is okay. For the fact that the spent lots of money in producing this film, I will give them thumbs up. The only negative side for me was that I don't like the way it ended.

I like the guy Ugwu most especially when he was teaching and also when his master asked him not to call him Sir smiley

Please why was Ejiofor always called revolutionary lover? I still dont get.

7/10

Finally, for those people thinking about Nigeria on the brink or wanting Nigeria to break up, please go watch this movie. If we are going to have a peaceful break up which I doubt will ever happen, fine no problem. But if it is going to be in the form of fighting and war....hmmmnnn let's remain the way we are.

My parents told me stories about the civil war. Me, I don't want to experience it.

One Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by chumakk: 12:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
ugoonuoha:
Hello Chumakk, I'll advise you go and see the movie and form an opinion for yourself. Art appreciation is relative. It rubs each person different.
In my humble opinion, I think it is a fabulous movie! Having read the book and the reviews online, I kind went in with very low expectations, considering the book was so good. But I was pleasantly surprised at the end.

It is not a WAR movie. It is a love/family story set to the backdrop of the Biafra war. If you want more info about the war, go watch doccies or read up on history (online).
I will. Thank you cool
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by kendrick93(m): 12:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
why would someone go to a cineama to watch a nigerian movie anyway?.. i can't.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
repogirl: The books are usually better than the movies, you might find more details there, also you know the census board went through it after accusing the producers that the story was one sided so I guess they might have cut off some controversial scenes. I've not watched the movie sha, neither have I read the book, so you don't havta take my word for it.
curiosity made me to visit your blog now...but you're not consistent sad
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Firefire(m): 12:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
sexymoma: Why rushing to the cinema..
V.soon now i go buy am for ojota for N100.
If i sabi waka sef i go get am for free. grin

Say NO! To Piracy. grin

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by sexymoma(f): 12:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
josh4eva00:

Hahahahaha
*** Checks his dp*** Bros you fine o wink kiss
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by dammytosh: 12:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chiezugolum: You should know that the Nigerian version was edited for 'national security' angry If you want to get the real action,it will be in cinema's outside Nigeria

I think you are right. The killing of Igbos at the airport made me very angry with hausas and quickly the scene went off as if notin happened.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by hazyfm: 12:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
eledacedar: Probably it was due to the fact that the censor board mandated them to remove some scenes before showingit in Nigeria.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ewizard1: 12:22pm On Aug 04, 2014
Yeah... A love story backdropped in a Civil War Story. Nice production but very short IMO !

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by sexymoma(f): 12:22pm On Aug 04, 2014
Firefire:

Say NO! To Piracy. grin
Let me buy ma last CD before i say `NO` smiley

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by NobleAky(m): 12:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
youngchopper: How Do I get the videos
Dive deep inside River Niger. It lay there inwait
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
paulworld: This thing made front page what the hell
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BBNaija 2018 First Saturday Party Time (Photos) / BBNAIJA 2019 : Crowd Storm Portharcourt Audition Center (Photos) / I'm Dating A Billionaire - Princess, First Evicted BBNaija All Stars Housemate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.