Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,539 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews (32482 Views)

How To Answer Tough Weird Google, Apple, Etc Interview Question / Some Questions Google Asks Potential Employees During Interview. / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by paranorman(m): 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2014
Olucheye: 1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

1. Use it to Turn a traditional radio cassette.
2. Chop into small pieces, to be used spot markers
3. Remove the graphite in it and use it a lubricant for my lab machine or key lock as the need may arise.
4. Use to fix stubborn zip on my clothes.
5.open things sealed up in plaStic... Like a 5alive seal.
6. Put it in a ruler that has a hole on it and spin like we use to do in primary school. Helicopter of life, chief boredom savior.
7. Play drums and make music/noise.
8. The eraser could clean any corrections.
9. Would also serve as a makeshift ruler in times of desperate need. E.g plotting a graph... Axis X & Y.
10. A deadly weapon. For example, stabbing either the Carotid artery(ies) or jugular vein(s)

2. How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?
If I was from Mars, problems on earth will be alien to me, hence the need to go into explorative research to determine cause, effects, and proffered solution.

On a lighter note, I'd wake up from my dream and stop imagining if I was from Mars. It's certain already that in this life, i will never be from Mars...I'm already an earthling!

3. What's the most creative way you can break a clock?

Remove the battery or knock out the engine cold.It will still tell the right time twice everyday.

4. A disc is spinning on a spindle, and you don't know which way. You are given a set of pins. Describe how you would use them to determine which way the disc is spinning.

Drop the base of the pin first on the disk, the direction which the tip of the pin fall towards is the backward direction while the base will point forward.

5. You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?

Number of Loops = N/2 - X(string's end)

Mathematicians, kindly help.

6. You want to design a phone for deaf people — how do you do it?

It'll only have only a vibrat*r (which one is romance machine again Seun) and a compatible screen, then a software that coverts all voice calls to text on his phone.
2. Phone will come with a real or virtual keyboard to reply both voice and texts all in form of messages.
3. Each notifications will vibrate to notify him/her of all alerts

7. How would you design an elevator?

Traditional styled with a couple of extra designs such as being opaque to people on the outside for privacy, music while you ride it on high rise buildings, fresh air vent for occupants from people who fart while riding.

8. Why should we not hire you?

I hate being stereotypical. Hence, if the offered job position isn't going to offer me challenges that will afford me developmental and mental growth via deep thoughts and adept research, I'll get weary and bored which consequentially will impede my productivity and contributions as a staff.

9. How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation.

Sorry, I'm a graduate of the college of Medicine.
But I think it should be somewhat related to recoil speed.
If you remember Okeke Physics.

10. Name as many Microsoft products as you can.

Word, PowerPoint, Excel, spreadsheet, windows 97, 98, Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, internet explorer, Windows phone OS (Nokia Lumia Series) e.t.c

Permit me to add, I'm a fresh graduate who's actively seeking internship opportunities with Public health related NGO's but I'm not limited to that, as I'd appreciate any opportunity to put to active use my versatility in any organization. I'd appreciate any opportunity to prove myself.
Kindly send me a PM on NL if you've got any available opportunities.

Cheers!

great. Still didnt get the loose string part.. Could you please explain better.
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by paranorman(m): 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
emk4lif: Pretty tepid when compared to some questions McKinsey poses in their problem solving tests, McKinsey's PSTs are real brain racking stuff.
hey you, please, have you got any practise samples of these kinda test..? I really wanna try'em.. Please!
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by rexibity(m): 2:54pm On Aug 06, 2014
vicadex07:

Damn...Yorubas are brilliant. I dof my hat for you. Representing Ekiti to the fullest.

Meanwhile, maybe that thunder that struck you repackaged your brain correctly... halleluyah somebody!
your papa!
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by perfectgen(m): 4:57pm On Aug 06, 2014
I don't know if I am correct but if I am asked such questions in an interview, below will be my response.
1. I will design a puzzle with pencils such that the first pencil is taken to the last position after arranging on a straight line without moving more than one pencil at a time and giving space allowance for only one pencil using either bubble sort or merge sort algorithm.
2. I would have no problem if I came from Mars because I will be the only one but in solving earthen problems, I will use the way of the earthly people; when you are in Rome, you behave like Romans.
3. Remove the battery and the clock will stop working which is what it's intended to do; tell time, hence breaking the clock.
4. Drop the pin on the disc, wherever the pin falls off is the direction of the disk.
5. N/2, by joining any 2 of the strike end, you have a loop and all loose ends tied.
6. Put a light signal on the phone with vibration capabilities to alert the deaf when calls come in. Likewise design a voice to font translator and a list of simple optional responses using artificial intelligence.
7. I will design the elevator to go up.
8. You should not hire me because I will be doing exactly what every other person you employ will be doing but I will be doing it in a different way from them.
9. I will explain using herzenberg collision theory with emphasis on the constants such as Steffan Boltzmann constant while varying the surface areas of the sphere; they are dependent on the radius of the sphere at which point the impact will differ.
10. This is an open ended question depending on what you know but I will Microsoft Bing search engine, office suite, x-box and windows phone.

Note: I love learning hence if you have a contrary view, you can simply pen it down. I will like to learn from you.
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Greatihex(m): 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2014
Olucheye: 1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

3. Remove the graphite in it and use it a lubricant for my lab machine or key lock as the need may arise.
6. Put it in a ruler that has a hole on it and spin like we use to do in primary school. Helicopter of life, chief boredom savior.
9. Would also serve as a makeshift ruler in times of desperate need. E.g plotting a graph... Axis X & Y.
10. A deadly weapon. For example, stabbing either the Carotid artery(ies) or jugular vein(s)

If I was from Mars, problems on earth will be alien to me, hence the need to go into explorative research to determine cause, effects, and proffered solution.

On a lighter note, I'd wake up from my dream and stop imagining if I was from Mars. It's certain already that in this life, i will never be from Mars...I'm already an earthling!

Remove the battery or knock out the engine cold.It will still tell the right time twice everyday.

4. A disc is spinning on a spindle, and you don't know which way. You are given a set of pins. Describe how you would use them to determine which way the disc is spinning.

Drop the base of the pin first on the disk, the direction which the tip of the pin fall towards is the backward direction while the base will point forward.

5. You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?

It'll only have only a vibrat*r (which one is romance machine again Seun) and a compatible screen, then a software that coverts all voice calls to text on his phone.
2. Phone will come with a real or virtual keyboard to reply both voice and texts all in form of messages.

Traditional styled with a couple of extra designs such as being opaque to people on the outside for privacy, music while you ride it on high rise buildings, fresh air vent for occupants from people who fart while riding.

I hate being stereotypical. Hence, if the offered job position isn't going to offer me challenges that will afford me developmental and mental growth via deep thoughts and adept research, I'll get weary and bored which consequentially will impede my productivity and contributions as a staff.

9. How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation.

Word, PowerPoint, Excel, spreadsheet, windows 97, 98, Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, internet explorer, Windows phone OS (Nokia Lumia Series) e.t.c

Permit me to add, I'm a fresh graduate who's actively seeking internship opportunities with Public health related NGO's but I'm not limited to that, as I'd appreciate any opportunity to put to active use my versatility in any organization. I'd appreciate any opportunity to prove myself.

Cheers!
Simply put. Your efforts, and that of your parents were not in vain. They will be proud of you.
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by darlous(m): 7:03pm On Aug 06, 2014
What's the most creative way you can break a clock?
Remove the hour hand (Hour pointer)!
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Olusanya333(m): 7:25pm On Aug 06, 2014

Cheers!
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Olusanya333(m): 7:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
perfectgen: I don't know if I am correct but if I am asked such questions in an interview, below will be my response.
1. I will design a puzzle with pencils such that the first pencil is taken to the last position after arranging on a straight line without moving more than one pencil at a time and giving space allowance for only one pencil using either bubble sort or merge sort algorithm.
2. I would have no problem if I came from Mars because I will be the only one but in solving earthen problems, I will use the way of the earthly people; when you are in Rome, you behave like Romans.
3. Remove the battery and the clock will stop working which is what it's intended to do; tell time, hence breaking the clock.
4. Drop the pin on the disc, wherever the pin falls off is the direction of the disk.
5. N/2, by joining any 2 of the strike end, you have a loop and all loose ends tied.
6. Put a light signal on the phone with vibration capabilities to alert the deaf when calls come in. Likewise design a voice to font translator and a list of simple optional responses using artificial intelligence.
7. I will design the elevator to go up.
8. You should not hire me because I will be doing exactly what every other person you employ will be doing but I will be doing it in a different way from them.
9. I will explain using herzenberg collision theory with emphasis on the constants such as Steffan Boltzmann constant while varying the surface areas of the sphere; they are dependent on the radius of the sphere at which point the impact will differ.
10. This is an open ended question depending on what you know but I will Microsoft Bing search engine, office suite, x-box and windows phone.

Note: I love learning hence if you have a contrary view, you can simply pen it down. I will like to learn from you.
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Eniqurl(f): 2:30am On Aug 07, 2014

Cheers!
WOW !
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by StepG: 6:14am On Aug 07, 2014
ein: Interviews are never expected to be a breeze, especially if you are appearing for industry giants like Microsoft, Apple, Facebook etc. However, it is still possible to get stumped by a question like: 'How do you cut a circular cake into eight equal pieces?'

This question is part of jobs and career community website Glassdoor's annual list of ‘25 Tough Interview Questions'. We bring to you 10 toughest questions from the list asked during job interviews at top tech brands.

1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

2 How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?

3 What's the most creative way you can break a clock?

4 A disc is spinning on a spindle, and you don't know which way. You are given a set of pins. Describe how you would use them to determine which way the disc is spinning.

5 You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?

6 You want to design a phone for deaf people — how do you do it?

7 How would you design an elevator?

8 Why should we not hire you?

9 How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation.

10 Name as many Microsoft products as you can.

Source: www.zolamandesign.com
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by StepG: 6:15am On Aug 07, 2014

Cheers!
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Birichie(m): 12:37am On Aug 10, 2014

Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make / Online Paid Survey Site That Pays Nigerians! / My Testimony After My Boss Sacked Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.