Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,409 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs (56798 Views)

8 Things To Avoid At An Interview / 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Altinibala: 12:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
nice thread. my contribution goes thus, know that it is not a do or die affair, so pls be calm and answer the questions quickly. i remember my 1st interview i was asked for my motivation i said my son, that gave them the opportunity to ask about him, he was just 3 months old then and that was how i didn't get that job. come the next one, i was ready when asked my motivation i replied thus "my motivation is a conducive environment to contribute my quota to the success of an organization, to translate skills and knowledge learnt in university into solutions in practical life. this time around they were wowed and i had them in my palms. i simply prepared and also read on what to expect when going for an interview. so such questions like tell me about yourself, your motivation, what should we not employ you, your weakness,do you have any question for us, and salary expectations were not a challenge for me them. Also its best to use an email that is your name not example debbysexy or debbyforreal etc. maintain contact with them and smile. also prepare to give an answer even if you dont have any idea, never say u dont know. just answer with confidence. i remember when i was asked (as lawyer) who is the cj of nigeria, and then what reform has she made since she was sworn in. mind you the position i applied for didnt have any thing to do with law. then they asked about plea bargain, ethics as a lawyer, later on i found out that there was a lawyer on the panel. so always be prepared. i remember my 1st interview i was asked about research, i just looked blank i couldnt remember anything about, apparently i wrote research, travelling and charity work as my hobbies. the truth was i didnt write the cv myself, my uncle quickly wrote it for me, so i was so so so blank. pls pls make sure you write your cv yourself

15 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by quincie(m): 11:39am On Aug 16, 2014
Can somone help with this question pls? And also where can i download likely interview questions and answers?
Egonec: I need an answer to dis question pls-
How do u respond wen an interviewer asks u, "wat will u do if u are given a job witout a pay?"
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by inteli: 6:09pm On Aug 16, 2014
victorVIC1:
hmmm...plz, any1 wit suggestions on how to overcome fear?

Hmmm! It has been scientifically proven that when you are nervous, some arteries short out oxygen from your reaching a part of your brain, Thus making it difficult for you to even breath ( or experience momentary difficulty in breathing) and consequently worsening the situation.

When you are in this situation, take a pause, Inhaled in some fresh air and retain the air in your system for 20 seconds before exhaling (do this for like 4 or 5 times). This would provide the shortage oxygen to your brain and consequently relaxes your nerve. Trust me, it works like magic and you can do this in between interview sessions (without drawing attention) to help you relax in the course of the interview.

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by liliangmail(f): 10:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
I nid help! pls dis is d last stage of d interview( oral) .. wat question ar dy likly to ask nd how do i package myself ? d job is for For doz wif 5yrs and above exprience bt i was lucky to av gotn to dis stage
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by phetty(m): 5:33am On Aug 17, 2014
I had an interview with a Food production hoping to work as a maintenance engineer. Though a fresh graduate, but the man asked what was my engineering experience. I quickly sweet-mouthed my IT experience. The man looking at my CV and muttered "taught mathematics, physics,..." For my mind, I was like "OMG! I don fumble." I quickly told him that was during my NYSC. His facial expression was like "so! how is this related to what we do here? " Mind you, that wasn't a question cos the man had already concluded in his mind that it's not related and I don't have substantial engineering experience.

Moral of the Story: Don't include irrelevant info on your CV even if your CV no reach a full page. #lol

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2014
Marvin67: The interviewer asks do you have any question after an interview and I reply "no".
teemunza: Thank you all for your contributions...its been educating and enlightening. My experience has to do with no knowing wat to ask the interviewer
Marvin67: The interviewer asks do you have any question after an interview and I reply "no".

The worst possible answer to this question is, "No, thanks, I think I
have everything I need." If you do that the interviewer will write you
off, then and there as someone who isn't curious about the organization.
Below are good areas to probe and effective questions to ask when given the chance as provided by the CEO of Spencer Stuart @ James Citrin....

About the culture - "How would you describe the kinds of
people that thrive in the company and those that don't fit
in? What does that say about the culture?" Or even more
specific, "As I reflect on my two previous organizations,
one culture was all about collaboration, teamwork, never
using the word 'I' and the other was much more a star
system, where it was all about standing out as an
individual performer. How does this organization operate
on that dimension?"
About the position - "What would success look like in the
position? If I were to be offered the job and a year from
now we were reviewing how it's going, what would I have
accomplished for you to say, 'What an amazing year you've
had?'
About the interviewer - "Tell me a little bit about your
story. How did you find your way into the company? What
have you enjoyed most and what's been most frustrating?"
It goes without saying (but it is worth repeating), people
love to be asked about themselves. An even better way to
ask this question is to have Googled the person you're
meeting and framing a question about them with specifics
about what they've done, where they went to school, what
they may be known for.
About the company - "In the most recent earnings call, the
CFO said that the company is now projecting flat revenue
for the year. Given that the market is growing double
digits, shouldn't I be concerned about the strategy not
working?" Or "Would it be an accurate interpretation to say
that your two most recent acquisitions were made to
attract talent, or 'acquihires?" If that is the case, why do
you think it's been so difficult to attract the talent you
need?" When asking about the company and strategy,
assuming you've done your homework it's fine to be
challenging - as long as you're not being insulting or
personal about it.
As you can see, there are quite a number of questions to ask when
you're given the opportunity in the last part of an interview. Your
goal for the interview is for the interviewer to describe you, once
you've left as being "very sharp and asking great questions." Asking
great questions in an interview is among the most sure-fire ways to
get the job.

16 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Akexstinger(m): 8:07am On Aug 17, 2014
Jakeattah: Never go for a post your not qualified for or is not your field without proper research.....

The last one eh, the interviewer made me look lyk a primary pupil, upon say I hammer degree o
Yes o u are right sha but there's nothing wrong in trying

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:12am On Aug 17, 2014
[quote author=liliangmail]I nid help! pls dis is d last stage of d interview( oral) .. wat question ar dy likly to ask nd how do i package myself ? d job is for For doz wif 5yrs and above exprience bt i was lucky to av gotn to dis stage[/quote

I wud advise u take a brief look at the preceding posts as ur questions av been dealt with extensively in sum of d posts.
Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:20am On Aug 17, 2014
quincie: Can somone help with this question pls? And also where can i download likely interview questions and answers?
Check out d link below..It contains 50 frequently asked interview questions and suggestive answers.
http://careerride.com/HR-Interview-Questions.aspx

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Akexstinger(m): 8:25am On Aug 17, 2014
polymathic: same here too, what I do is make sure I'm not speaking too fast n try as much as possible to speak with a mild tone
Mine is even d worst, when I'm speaking is like I'm rapping and they keep telling me to come again, and at the end they will think I'm not bold enough. I've tried severally to speak slowly but no way

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:26am On Aug 17, 2014
Egonec: I need an answer to dis question pls-

How do u respond wen an interviewer asks u, "wat will u do if u are given a job witout a pay?"

Suggestions pls?
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by phetty(m): 9:52am On Aug 17, 2014
Akexstinger:
Mine is even d worst, when I'm speaking is like I'm rapping and they keep telling me to come again, and at the end they will think I'm not bold enough. I've tried severally to speak slowly but no way

I used to think I'm the only one in this kinda flaw not until after I read this thread. I have tried to talk slowly but e no easy oh. In my opinion, talking fast is related somehow to being over-anxious and lack of confidence. #MyHypothesis

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Oxone(m): 11:23am On Aug 19, 2014
Here's a thread worth bookmarking

Mine was a couple of months after service and that was my second interview. I was so jittery because i was desperate for the job.

The interview panel was made up of a number of my peers and there was a pretty lady in the group. Everything was going well until i was asked how much i would want as my take home pay. i gave the usual "pay me the standard rate" reply. I didn't want to commit to a particular figure because i didn't want to short change myself by mentioning a low figure as there seem more to the company than meet the eye.

The lady now asked if i would accept 15k as salary and i pointed out to her that a 15k salary was a joke in Abj in 2011 and wouldn't even meet my basic needs. she then told me that there are ladies who take home pay was 15k in Abj.

*At this point i should have politely stuck to my gun & kept my mouth shut but the next few minutes was like an out of body experience for me. my brain shut down and my mouth took over, i watched myself from afar blow my chances of getting a job with that firm with the things i said.*

I Agreed with her that some ladies taking home 15k a month but pointed out to her that ladies don't always spend their money & have other ways of getting money. The group became animated and wanted to know how. That's when i finished the job with a list that includes money from admirers, dates and all. I cringed with each word but couldn't stop myself. The look on their faces especially that of the lady's when i was done told me all i needed to know. I knew i wasn't going to be called back ever. There are just somethings you don't say. I guess that daily 5 mins of madness chose that moment to manifest in the worst possible way.

Till date, i still can't explain what happened or what took over me because I'm not usually a chauvinistic Prick. it was all so surreal

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by sevantex(m): 3:33pm On Aug 19, 2014
@oxone.,u made me laff seriously after reading ur post.,dt 5mins madness nor just try at all as per timing oo..,"Money from admirers" and a lady was part of the panel?..,Lmao..,nice thread to learn frm tho..,Bookmarked#

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by armadeo(m): 4:15pm On Aug 19, 2014
Oxone: Here's a thread worth bookmarking

Mine was a couple of months after service and that was my second interview. I was so jittery because i was desperate for the job.

The interview panel was made up of a number of my peers and there was a pretty lady in the group. Everything was going well until i was asked how much i would want as my take home pay. i gave the usual "pay me the standard rate" reply. I didn't want to commit to a particular figure because i didn't want to short change myself by mentioning a low figure as there seem more to the company than meet the eye.

The lady now asked if i would accept 15k as salary and i pointed out to her that a 15k salary was a joke in Abj in 2011 and wouldn't even meet my basic needs. she then told me that there are ladies who take home pay was 15k in Abj.

*At this point i should have politely stuck to my gun & kept my mouth shut but the next few minutes was like an out of body experience for me. my brain shut down and my mouth took over, i watched myself from afar blow my chances of getting a job with that firm with the things i said.*

I Agreed with her that some ladies taking home 15k a month but pointed out to her that ladies don't always spend their money & have other ways of getting money. The group became animated and wanted to know how. That's when i finished the job with a list that includes money from admirers, dates and all. I cringed with each word but couldn't stop myself. The look on their faces especially that of the lady's when i was done told me all i needed to know. I knew i wasn't going to be called back ever. There are just somethings you don't say. I guess that daily 5 mins of madness chose that moment to manifest in the worst possible way.

Till date, i still can't explain what happened or what took over me because I'm not usually a chauvinistic Prick. it was all so surreal

I feel you.

My fav part ' you cringed at every word but couldn't stop yourself'. Lol. It is well bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by ignis: 6:56pm On Aug 19, 2014
NICE THREAD...

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by texasbullet(m): 11:33pm On Aug 19, 2014
Have been laughing and learning since God help us
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 7:39am On Aug 20, 2014
texasbullet: Have been laughing and learning since God help us
Yeah!!! quite humorous and enlightening. Huge thanks to everyone who has commented thus far.
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 20, 2014
Egonec: @My Broda VIC, i greet u. I wud advise every job seeker to avoid the use of informal words/expressions in a job interview. I was b4 an interviewer last week and i kept makin d mistak of using the word "yea" instead of "yes". I hav becom so used to d word "yea". We shud try and work on this aspect, it's very importnt.
Thank you so much. I had a phone interview yesterday, I cannot but keep using "yea". It wasn't intentional though. Then I remembered your post and made effort to put myself back on track. Anyway, the phone interview was a success and I will be having the final interview on Thursday. I strongly hope this "yea" thingy will not pop up again.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 20, 2014
NEVER, I repeat NEVER lie about your weakness(es). However, do not also mention a weakness that will shoot you at the leg. For example: You are being interviewed for a drilling engineering trainee job. Drilling requires a great deal of team work. If asked about your weakness, don't mention team work as being your weakness in this case. Although, you are advised not to tell lies and say your real weakness; just mention one weakness that is not relevant tor the job and highlight steps that you are taking to improve this weakness of yours. NEVER disguise a strength as a weakness. An experienced interviewer will get your trick and it might cost you the job. Don't try to over-impress the interviewer, just be yourself. If you are funny, act funny and don't put on a different behaviour or personality on the day of your interview.
DISCLAIMER: different strokes for different folks

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by bleeztouch(m): 9:08am On Aug 20, 2014
Have learnt alot in nairaland

4 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2014
PiperAlpha:
Thank you so much. I had a phone interview yesterday, I cannot but keep using "yea". It wasn't intentional though. Then I remembered your post and made effort to put myself back on track. Anyway, the phone interview was a success and I will be having the final interview on Thursday. I strongly hope this "yea" thingy will not pop up again.
D job is urs bro...best of luck

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by yoged(m): 9:43am On Sep 22, 2014
liliangmail: Very Interesting! *yea* av become part of me! . Another is *tongu lickin my lips b4 ansin any interview question cry
what You are fired.
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by thankyouJesus(m): 6:14pm On Sep 29, 2014
I have learnt a lot from your contribution, more grace to your person. I need your favour, please, please, pllllleeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeee, okay, thank you. I need a favour on how to write a profession cv possibly with samples.
Note: I hate being caught unaware (I am a student <university aspirant> preparing for life after school).
ayadifayowole@gmail.com
Altinibala: nice thread. my contribution goes thus, know that it is not a do or die affair, so pls be calm and answer the questions quickly. i remember my 1st interview i was asked for my motivation i said my son, that gave them the opportunity to ask about him, he was just 3 months old then and that was how i didn't get that job. come the next one, i was ready when asked my motivation i replied thus "my motivation is a conducive environment to contribute my quota to the success of an organization, to translate skills and knowledge learnt in university into solutions in practical life. this time around they were wowed and i had them in my palms. i simply prepared and also read on what to expect when going for an interview. so such questions like tell me about yourself, your motivation, what should we not employ you, your weakness,do you have any question for us, and salary expectations were not a challenge for me them. Also its best to use an email that is your name not example debbysexy or debbyforreal etc. maintain contact with them and smile. also prepare to give an answer even if you dont have any idea, never say u dont know. just answer with confidence. i remember when i was asked (as lawyer) who is the cj of nigeria, and then what reform has she made since she was sworn in. mind you the position i applied for didnt have any thing to do with law. then they asked about plea bargain, ethics as a lawyer, later on i found out that there was a lawyer on the panel. so always be prepared. i remember my 1st interview i was asked about research, i just looked blank i couldnt remember anything about, apparently i wrote research, travelling and charity work as my hobbies. the truth was i didnt write the cv myself, my uncle quickly wrote it for me, so i was so so so blank. pls pls make sure you write your cv yourself
thank you as I wait for your "favourable" response
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by wroskian(m): 5:29pm On Oct 01, 2014
vycee01:

Again never state an amount for the coy to pay you rather state a reasonable amount you were paid before (even if not exactly) and say you're open to negotiation.

Hope this could help, my little experience though.

Spot on there!!!
I once attended an interview where i stated an amount a little bit above what the company could afford, in my opinion that wasn't a crime, the crime was not stating i was open to negotiations, and because of this sole reason the head of the panel told me they were not going to call me back irrespective of the excellent performance i pulled.

Be prepared to answer questions on your interests too, so don't exaggerate it on your cv. For instance, if music was part of your interests, you must be able to talk about maybe a particular genre of music and why you prefer it, your favorite singer and stuffs. Infact, make sure you can account for every detail on your cv. Interview questions can be crazy at times.

On a final note, how do you greet members of a panel, do you shake them round?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by ComradeTY(m): 6:49am On Oct 02, 2014
Nice thread
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Mannylex(m): 8:42pm On Oct 03, 2014
Oxone: Here's a thread worth bookmarking

This got me seriously laughing, really I know that feeling, when your trying to stop talking but your brain and mouth just betrays you and you spit out a whole lot of nonsense. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by saxwizard(m): 8:55am On Oct 05, 2014
Nice one
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Sleekbaby(f): 9:00am On Oct 05, 2014
Mine is fear, am always scared τ̲̅ȍ d point of shivering @ times..

My dear how can 1 overcome FEAR bcoz dts my major problem too
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by glowshine(f): 9:01am On Oct 05, 2014
liliangmail:
Very Interesting! *yea* av become part of me! . Another is *tongu lickin my lips b4 ansin any interview question cry
. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ know licking your lips may be counted offensive ? :-)
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorD3: 9:04am On Oct 05, 2014
elbyno:
. I also had that nervousness in d last interview I did.And I have made up my mind that d next one,imma have to take some alcohol since it gives me some hyper confidence

Have you ever imagined what the stench of alcohol will tell of you to the HR?
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Egonec(m): 9:13am On Oct 05, 2014
Front page tins cheesy cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Free Workforce Past Question And Answer / How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. / My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.