Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs (56737 Views)

8 Things To Avoid At An Interview / 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by GANDALF1(m): 5:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
Tundeajani:
some times it is not about your at look but what you have got in you.rember my first interview which i wore an oversized shirt and yaradua shoe to..when the interviewers saw me their eyes were like iru eeyan woh tun leleyi..by the time i handle them with my oratorical verbosity and intellectual content..kia loju won yi pada ti wo n rerin simi ti won tun patewo..
In summary develop yourself and eved if you wear agbada go bill gate company..by the time he hear you speak he get no option than to give you the job:.learn also to have a good fashion sense like me now..baba ti upgrade...in yq's voice i sing bata ti mowo na tear rubber.:...

Sorry bro but despite your very obvious effort at making sense with this post, you did not succeed.

10 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 5:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
YOUNGSTUNA:

me go follow asked dem weyda i b dia maga wey i go dey work witout being pay...abi na dia balls i go dey eat come dey work..
gringrin
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by K0ala7(m): 5:47pm On Oct 05, 2014
The most important part of an interview is the aftermath, following up. It is important to send a thank you letter/email that appreciates the interviewer's time and then is used to sell them on points you feel they appreciated the most about you. 100 to 200 words. It should be sent within 24 to hours after an interview, not right after (so it does not seem like you wrote it before the interview).

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Isk(f): 6:21pm On Oct 05, 2014
emydiddy:
When answering questions, Try to KISS (keep it short and simple). Avoid unnecessarily long answers dat would eventually make u to blab or go off track. And always tailor ur answers towards selling urself to the employer.
the problem with this is that your answers tho short and precise may lack depth and not make you stand out. I did this at an interview once and had the interviewer tell me that my answers were too shallow.

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by bliss750: 6:34pm On Oct 05, 2014
story to the gods, the job that is urs will always be urs, my worst interview job is d one I'm still doing till today so my dear just pray for God's help.

4 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Toludo(m): 6:38pm On Oct 05, 2014
My experiences which I will like to share, in Jan 2013, during the final stage of my interview with HMRC, I forgot to put my phone on silent and the vibration from my phone derailed the interview, and I was later told I was unsuccessful as I missed the cut off point by 1 Mark, I knew from within that it was a consequence of my phone ringing.

In June 2014, I was being interviewed for a KYC Analyst role with Barclays Bank, the interviewer asked me if I had any questions and I asked her if they will be providing training before getting my hands dirty with loads of work, that was a very silly question to have asked as the role was paying £280 a day and they expected that we would be hitting the ground running. I was later phoned by the agency that I was unsuccessful and I knew it was a consequence of the question I asked.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by nd07(m): 7:09pm On Oct 05, 2014
elbyno:
. I also had that nervousness in d last interview I did.And I have made up my mind that d next one,imma have to take some alcohol since it gives me some hyper confidence

Imagine u r d HR. someone enters ur office wt alcohol fuming out his mouth, what will u take d person 4? 2 me its failure @ d point of trial.
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Busjoyy: 7:55pm On Oct 05, 2014
I have really learnt here. please what is d best answer to a question like' what do you like least about your current job'? When you know that what you like least is d pay. Thank you for your responses
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by emmasege: 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
I didn't have my original credentials with me & worse still, I left some qualifications out of my cv I.e. o"level & primary school certs. Almost cost me the job, thank God I got it anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Tundeajani(m): 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2014
GANDALF1:

Sorry bro but despite your very obvious effort at making sense with this post, you did not succeed.
keep on making sense and keep on writing application letter every month...
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by MunAKeyzZ(m): 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2014
Egonec:

Hahahaha....bro you are harsh ooo
Do you have a better reply?
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by MunAKeyzZ(m): 9:00pm On Oct 05, 2014
chiboyo:
1) Lost out in BRISTOW helicopters interview because I couldn't name the helicopters in their fleet. (You must research every company that has called you for an interview

2) Lost out in UAC 2nd stage because I did not have the answer to who the American Secretary of state (Try to read wide during your job search)

3) Lost out in DIAGEO assessment centre final stage (Tried to prove I knew too much during the group stage of the assessment centre)

4) Lost out in BAT management trainee 2nd stage (I was asked a simple question of " Can we meet you"? And I rambled non-stop for 10mins of inconsequential info, the interviewer had to tell me to stick to the point)

5) Lost out in SHELL, CHEVRON (Skills test), MOBIL, NLNG (2nd stage), ADDAX (skills test), GSK, CHAMS (2nd stage)

I thought my village people were after me at a time (lol)

Presently work in a MNC (after I added all lessons that I learnt over years of testing and interviews) earning WELL OVER 6 figures!!

Guy you too LOST. You follow act LOST?

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by cole265(m): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2014
Do not dwell on what you have done for too long, rather spend more time explaining what you can do.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by richyfunky(m): 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
U wan kill me with laff ;DU
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Shollay20(m): 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2014
Weldone! Peoplessss......nairaland you are my teacher?
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by chiboy429(m): 11:24pm On Oct 05, 2014
Wooow,what an indeed educating thread from start . Am really astonished by you all rich experiences ,its worth learning from,,.

Keep the fire burning ,kudos to everyone

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Mozarinia(m): 11:27pm On Oct 05, 2014
victorVIC1:

hmmm...plz, any1 wit suggestions on how to overcome fear?
Its simple to overcome fear. Fear is a spirit according to the scriptures and we understand that spiritual things are handled spiritually. Pray for confidence and act like you've received it. The fear will shift from you to the interviewer.

5 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Mozarinia(m): 11:31pm On Oct 05, 2014
Busjoyy:
I have really learnt here. please what is d best answer to a question like' what do you like least about your current job'? When you know that what you like least is d pay. Thank you for your responses
Tell him its the pay and if possible let him know why.For instance, it can no longer cater for you and your family. Sincerity pays alot.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by dulaman: 12:10am On Oct 06, 2014
following
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by benetinto: 2:17am On Oct 06, 2014
If you are been asked how much do you want to be paid, aviod been selfish don't hiky your price. Again be compose, don't sound aggressive
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by garnetty(m): 4:04am On Oct 06, 2014
I had a terrible and unforgettable experience couple of months ago. I scaled through 3 stages of interview with a stockbroking firm only to get to salary negotiation and I lost the job. I was asking the company to pay me an improved remuneration a little above what they offered and I thought we were still negotiating only for me to be told that the job has been given to the second person in line for the job who apparently asked to be paid less. It was indeed a terrible experience.

What I have learnt in all of this is that as a job seeker never set or insist on unnecessary high remuneration beyond what is reasonable. For me, I was trying to get the best out of a net pay but it cost me the job. In the face of gross unemployment in the country, no employer would want to dwell too much on salary negotiation when they know that they can easily get a candidate for the same job for less. In all, I think the job was not meant for me even though they considered me as their first choice for the job.

4 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by hezy4real01(m): 6:12am On Oct 06, 2014
dukum:
Mine was at fmctech at onne in jan..
Interviewer:do you know what we do?
Me:i stated them all of cos i jack the tin bt i wasnt ready for the next question.
Interiewer:do u knw what we do here? undecided
Interviewer:do you know hw to use a pc i say yes then e b lyk have u wrkd wit excel b4 i say yes next tin what formula did u use undecided
Interviewer:if u re given three products to produce with a deadline,how wld u go about it..of cos i rush talk.

I knew all the answers even that of excel formulars bt pressure,fear and overconfidence jumped in as i felt like i aced all other ques.

My advice be calm,do not be in a haste to reply neither shld u take too long to reply,most of all prepare for the unexpected cos even wetin u knw u go forget.
In all God favor dey these things.i stil dey wait fmc cry
Word!
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by hezy4real01(m): 6:23am On Oct 06, 2014
bliss750:
story to the gods, the job that is urs will always be urs, my worst interview job is d one I'm still doing till today so my dear just pray for God's help.
hmmmmmm Heaven helps those who help themselves
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 7:09am On Oct 06, 2014
GANDALF1:

wicked. grin
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 06, 2014
bliss750:
spot on cool
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Otuabaroku: 7:40am On Oct 06, 2014
garnetty:
I had a terrible and unforgettable experience couple of months ago. I scaled through 3 stages of interview with a stockbroking firm only to get to salary negotiation and I lost the job. I was asking the company to pay me an improved remuneration a little above what they offered and I thought we were still negotiating only for me to be told that the job has been given to the second person in line for the job who apparently asked to be paid less. It was indeed a terrible experience.
What I have learnt in all of this is that as a job seeker never set or insist on unnecessary high remuneration beyond what is reasonable. For me, I was trying to get the best out of a net pay but it cost me the job. In the face of gross unemployment in the country, no employer would want to dwell too much on salary negotiation when they know that they can easily get a candidate for the same job for less. In all, I think the job was not meant for me even though they considered me as their first choice for the job.
@garnetty, I think the best way to go about salary negotiation is to research how much your prospective employer pays people in the same level of the role you applied for and take it from there. Most times, opting for low salary makes you appear cheap and could cost you the job for employers looking for quality employee.
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 06, 2014
wroskian:

On a final note, how do you greet members of a panel, do you shake them round?
LMAO!
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 06, 2014
ransomed:
Wearing a perfume. I attended an interview where i was to meet the MD. I was ushered into his expansive office but, my cologne triggered his asthma and i had to invite his P.A before we could revive him with Salbutamol inhaler. That was the end of the show. Please avoid wearing perfumes or deodorants. Some employers are asthmatic or allergic to scented chemicals. Peace.
Chai LOL
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by iyisco2001(m): 8:26am On Oct 06, 2014
The only one I made was including a software I wasn't a pro on it on my cv. And I told the technical interviewer that I am not really good with it. U can guess what happened after cry
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by ferguson17(m): 8:54am On Oct 06, 2014
when you go for an interview don't just walk inside the interview room or office and sit without the permission of the interviewer to do so. i love this..
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by v3: 9:03am On Oct 06, 2014
A few tips that have helped me over the years:

Eye contact: Most interviewers look for confident and self-assured candidates for key positions in the firm. Keeping eye contact when asked/answering questions shows a sign of confidence on your own part.

Keep it short: This is self explanatory.

Dress smart: Self explanatory

Hand shake: If the interviewer is male, a good handshake shows him you're on top of your game and could easily intimidate him. For a female interviewer, a much less stronger handshake would be advised...you don't want to break her hands cheesy.

Have your markers down: What are "markers"?, this are bullet-point answers to obvious questions that are sure to pop up in every interview e.g. Why do you want us to employ you?, What are your goals? etc.

Smile.

Lastly, you're a potential employee; discuss the company with your interviewer(s).

Hope this helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. / Lets Discus Payrolls In Nigeria. What Is Your Monthly Salary? / 2018 Exxonmobil Recruitment For Engineers (Experienced And Graduate Trainees)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.