Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. (53909 Views)

Get Rid Of Your Excess Body Fat Today!!! *PICTURES* / Strange Things You Have Found In Your Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Nobody: 5:56am On Aug 13, 2014
Irish potato So there's a remedy to excess salt that I didn't know and had to consume the food like that...hmmm! Thanks, imma try it out..wink

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Mynd44: 6:17am On Aug 13, 2014
afreekah:

So i should just add yam insyd am ?
Yup....dip small but removable pieces of raw yam into it.
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 13, 2014
naturally:

Its better you cleared the air before some people will add a bag of charcoal to their food grin
Abi ooo.. grin ....
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by skyface00(m): 6:21am On Aug 13, 2014
Nothing can be done but if u must eat d food get urslf enough water 2 drink or take d food back add more water and recook
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Lachynos2k2(m): 6:25am On Aug 13, 2014
no need to reduce the excess salt..its a cure for ebola..hehehe no be me talk am o.
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 13, 2014
just pour it in a bowl of water and dry the water................................lol
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by oluwashedy: 7:02am On Aug 13, 2014
Lilbeckiez: You just found out that there is excess salt in your Stew,Soup...Worry no more just peel irish potatoe and put it inside it will absorb all the excess salt....

You've got another idea
please share....
Should i add irish potatoe during or after cooking?
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by poiZon: 7:03am On Aug 13, 2014
moshoodn: Good to be reminded of the good ol' methods.

Though personally, I rarely put enough salt in my foods cos my taste bud is so sharp.

n also u SELDOM cook!
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by poiZon: 7:07am On Aug 13, 2014
davades: Now I know...the one I know is of rice, when there is excess salt in rice u can add more water and cook for a min then sieve

so if na jollof rice u go put more water n sieve out d ingredients.
wrong moves unless u get plenty ingredients to re-add.

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Lilbeckiez: 7:24am On Aug 13, 2014
oluwashedy: Should i add irish potatoe during or after cooking?
During cooking!
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by 360command: 7:25am On Aug 13, 2014
If irish potatoes are used to remove excess salt in soup or salt, how then can we remove the excess salt in potatoes(yam n cassava too)?

3 Likes

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Lilbeckiez: 7:29am On Aug 13, 2014
360command: If irish potatoes are used to remove excess salt in soup or salt, how then can we remove the excess salt in potatoes(yam n cassava too)?
lolz
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by ZACHIE: 7:34am On Aug 13, 2014
GARCINIA (Bitter Kola) desalinates any and everything.....Prof Maurice Iwu

2 Likes

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by RikoduoSennin(m): 7:46am On Aug 13, 2014
From my personal experience, I use additional PEPPER to counter the Salty taste and it works for me. Salt and Pepper seems to act like acid and base, one neutralizes the other- I have never eaten any food that is has too much pepper and salt at the same time, have you?

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by gatiano(m): 8:25am On Aug 13, 2014
aare! just add or cook more stew without salt with it.
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Galadimabawa: 8:29am On Aug 13, 2014
believe u me this, i never know
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by pegmatite(f): 9:13am On Aug 13, 2014
Jst add more pepper, d way it does for our eyez...
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 13, 2014
RikoduoSennin: From my personal experience, I use additional PEPPER to counter the Salty taste and it works for me. Salt and Pepper seems to act like acid and base, one neutralizes the other- I have never eaten any food that is has too much pepper and salt at the same time, have you?
I dont think i have either...hmmmm smiley
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by gajike: 9:29am On Aug 13, 2014
slice onion will do better, have tried it before. moreso it compliments d soup than potatoes.
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by davades(m): 9:54am On Aug 13, 2014
poiZon:

so if na jollof rice u go put more water n sieve out d ingredients.
wrong moves unless u get plenty ingredients to re-add.
If to say u sabi cook, u for don know say na white rice I dey talk...
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by barcaboi(m): 11:26am On Aug 13, 2014
some slices of yam does the trick too.....my mum gave a caterer that was crying she had messed the food up......it came out good
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Crankshaft: 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2014
How to Remove Extra Salt from Food

Fresh Lemon
Over salty food which does not contain any dairy product
can be easily saved by adding few drops of fresh lemon.
Lemon has excellent ability of taking out the flavor of the
salt without changing the taste of the food. Lemon is indeed
a magic ingredient.

Add More Base Ingredients
Another simple way to remove the harsh flavor of the salt
from stocks, sauces soups or stews is by adding extra base
ingredients. Cook a small amount of base ingredients
separately and add them to your over salty preparation.
Adding more base ingredients will definitely help in fixing
up the salty disaster.

Potato
To save an over salty recipe, peel a raw potato and cut it
into large size pieces. While the salty stock, sauce, soup or
stew is still hot, add raw potato pieces to it. Leave your
salty dish aside with raw potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes. The
raw potato will absorb tremendous amount of salt. Before
serving, do remember to remove the raw potato pieces,
right! Such a simple remedy to remove the extra salt,
indeed!
Alternatively, add raw potato chunks to your salty
preparation and cook it for few minutes. The potato will take
in the extra salt easily. Potato is really a great recipe saver.
Balsamic Vinegar
Add a small amount of balsamic vinegar to neutralize the
harsh flavor of the salt. But remember to add the balsamic
vinegar in small quantity, little-by-little until the perfect
flavor is achieved.

Sugar or honey
A little sugar or honey can also save your salty food. Add a
spoon of honey or sugar to balance the salty flavors.
Plain Yoghurt or Tomato
Adding a little plain yoghurt or a tomato can be helpful to
disguise the saltiness, especially from stews, soups and
curries.

References
(1).
http://www.culinaryarts360.com/index.php/how-to-remove-extra-salt-from-food-how-to-take-out-extra-salt-from-soups-sauces-salty-stocks-7945/

(2).
http://wikihow.com/Reduce-Salt-Intake-and-Repair-Too-Salty-Recipes

(3).
http://www.foodatarian.com/2010/01/28/how-to-reduce-salt-in-food/

3 Likes

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by yesboss20(m): 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
I must admit that this thread is quite necessary. How is over-salted food normalised?

The charcoal method sounds extreme to me, adding water to over salted stew/soup doesn't work and the adding fresh tomatoes option seems plausible for stews.

However, when dished food is too salty, what is the remedy?

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by yesboss20(m): 12:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
RikoduoSennin: From my personal experience, I use additional PEPPER to counter the Salty taste and it works for me. Salt and Pepper seems to act like acid and base, one neutralizes the other- I have never eaten any food that is has too much pepper and salt at the same time, have you?

I have and it's called pepper soup...haha.
Anyway, I think I get where you were coming from though that salt and pepper combination seems like a deadly strike force!
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by mart2k(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2014
Lilbeckiez: You just found out that there is excess salt in your Stew,Soup...Worry no more just peel irish potatoe and put it inside it will absorb all the excess salt....

You've got another idea
please share....
u tink everybody eats or keeps irish potatoes at home?
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
debdave: Not sure about this...but I thought charcoal too can reduce excess salt......or is that a fable?..lol
please let's all be careful about the information we give out. Look at how salt killed about two people, caused some pregnant women to have miscarriage all in a bid to prevent ebole virus. And they got that information from someone who might be jokin just like you

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by regulated(f): 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2014
xp17: how does Irish potato looks like?

Question for the gods.
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by wildflower22(f): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2014
lepasharon:

That is just an old wife's tail. It doesn't actually work.

So old wives have tail these days, nawa ooo(GNS 101)

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Orokita(m): 1:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
The simplest and I dare say most effective means is by placing the pot containing the food(while still hot) in a basin of water!!! Works like magic. U might even have to add salt again grin. Try it! Its simple and effective
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Raypawer(m): 2:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
debdave:
You know what?...I tried it..yes!..lol...and it "kinda" worked. I carried out the experiment...by placing ONE piece of charcoal in my salty rice. Though,when I noticed the rice was still a little salty..I asked her why I.e my friend. She said maybe because the piece of charcoal was small. According to her,the bigger the Charcoal..the more salt it'll absorb.
NOTE-1-you re not to pour one bag of charcoal into the salty food...but just ONE small or big piece(depending on how salty the food is). 2-The charcoal will not colour the colour of the food.

charcoal is a semi permeable membrane!

1 Like

Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Raypawer(m): 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
debdave:
You know what?...I tried it..yes!..lol...and it "kinda" worked. I carried out the experiment...by placing ONE piece of charcoal in my salty rice. Though,when I noticed the rice was still a little salty..I asked her why I.e my friend. She said maybe because the piece of charcoal was small. According to her,the bigger the Charcoal..the more salt it'll absorb.
NOTE-1-you re not to pour one bag of charcoal into the salty food...but just ONE small or big piece(depending on how salty the food is). 2-The charcoal will not colour the colour of the food.
Re: How To Reduce Excess Salt In Your Food!!!. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 13, 2014
getafe: please let's all be careful about the information we give out. Look at how salt killed about two people, caused some pregnant women to have miscarriage all in a bid to prevent ebole virus. And they got that information from someone who might be jokin just like you
Excuse me. I was not joking...I was only asking a question. Or maybe cause I added the "lol"? Or what?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The N300 Fish That I Bought Today / Alligator Caught At Gbagada Lagos, Used In Cooking (Photos) / Roasted Baboon: Is It Advisable To Eat This Kind Of Animal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.