Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,294 members, 7,826,169 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London (14485 Views)

My Horrible Experience At Murtala Mohammed Airport::::::(see pictures):::::::::: / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos / Nigeria High Commission, London: Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by CaptainPhilip(m): 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2014
I have been hearing about the ill treatment nigerians dish out to fellow nigerians at the high commission but little did I know that mine was just round the corner.

my wife who is a British citizen needed to apply for a Nigerain passport so she could attend her younger brother's wedding in Nigeria in September. now her Naija passport had expired so we thought that renewal is better than naija visa. we hopped out to London after several failed attempts to make a payment and secure a session at the embassy. Early this morning we arrived at London and made our way to the High commission on 9 Northumberland avenue.

When we got to the place its the usual naija flag flying high. lol. We were directed to enter through the back door which had security men. They asked us of our appointment letter which we failed to present because we could not book it online. He said we can't go in because we do not have an appointment. We explained that the site was difficult to navigate so he asked us to go to charing cross and do it at a cyber cafe which as you might guess is owned by a naija guy.

As we sat under a tree to see tHrough the site again, a young man approached and asked us if we needed help with the application and as my wife was about giving him a listening ear, i immediately said (as a sharp guy) don't worry we are fine so he left. A minute a latter another man said to me that if we want to get anything out of our mission today we had better go to the cyber cafe with him. Apparently he was taking a woman there so we followed.

on our way there, we asked the man why everything about Nigeria is always different even in a western world. he said that its so because the money when paid goes to Nigerian immigration in naija then the application goes to the high commission thats why it very difficult to navigate. on getting to the cyber cafe we met others we had same problems like ours so it was on a first come first serve basis. we waited for like an hour plus with the server going off and on on periodic intervals. we came to a conclusion that the cyber cafe is an affiliate of the high commission cos they charge you so much for a little help they render.

at the end, we were able to fill out the form and pay online. they gave us appointment for the 20th of august but the bros said if we go there showing them evidence that we came from far they could attend to us today and that since my wife is changing her maiden name to mine we would have to pay a charge of £40 for a postal order. this was paid for before we went back to the high commission. on arrival they asked us to get another postal order for £20. reasons known to them alone.

just at the submission desk, the lady attending to my wife said that I need to sign the letter of consent for my wife's change of name and the signature on my passport has to reflect what am signing.

Now the issue is that I renewed my Naija passport last year and the new passport which was done in Port Harcourt still carried my old signature that they transferred to the new passport. The woman insisted that I sign the exact thing on my passport but I explained that I signed that signature in 2008 and had changed it since then. Men see insult. She said she had never seen where they transfer signature from an old passport to new. That am I sure this passport is mine? she started raising her voice and I became a centre of attention. felt so pissed and nothing I said was reasonable and imagine a woman bringing a man down in front of his wife. I felt so humiliated and belittled and that if I can't sign the old one then the application will not be accepted or she will have to apply for a visa meaning we start the whole process again. I had to relearn the old signature and tried to do it as it appears. they reluctantly accepted and allowed us to proceed to the biometric section.

At the biometric section we waited and waited till it eventually got to our turn. as you already know, it says switch off your phone before you enter but imagine one of the ladies attending to people taking selfie. its a shame.

to my greatest surprise, a staff asked one of the applicants renewing his passport if he wants to transfer his old signature to the new passport he is applying for and he said yes. It this point, I felt like going back to give that young woman a very dirty slap but remembered i was in London.

NAIJA WHICH WAY..

12 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by Noneroone(m): 9:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
This is season 1. If they quarantine you in Lagos which is the season 2, you will see Goddy's elder brother.
You better stay back o, Nigeria has failed.

13 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by CaptainPhilip(m): 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2014
my brother staying back is an option but we still gat loved ones in naija. awareness is the way to go here.
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by BrAkingNews: 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2014
CaptainPhilip: my brother staying back is an option but we still gat loved ones in naija. awareness is the way to go here.
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by sammieguze(m): 5:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
pele
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by redsun(m): 5:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
why was it a problem to sign your "old" signature? Something as simple as that shouldn't have caused you any distraction.Even the british passport authority is way behind in issuing passports to british citizens at the moment.

5 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by Lbrasi: 5:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
Bros na due process den dey follow and u know due process for anything Nigeria is the other way round.

God bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by forke(m): 5:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
Take hrt
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by saintkola(m): 5:29pm On Aug 08, 2014
Lol.. no surprise there.. typical naija service
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by Cymbal: 5:30pm On Aug 08, 2014
Pathetic
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by CaptainPhilip(m): 5:31pm On Aug 08, 2014
redsun: why was it a problem to sign your "old" signature? Something as simple as that shouldn't have caused you any distraction.Even the british passport authority are way behind in issuing passports to british citizens at the moment.

i changed it because my bank troubled me with it over time. my kind of job keeps you away from civilisation for long so that also contributed to my signature variations.

3 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by illicit(m): 5:31pm On Aug 08, 2014
Eeya, sorry o.

1 Like

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by 9jahubcom(m): 5:32pm On Aug 08, 2014
kk
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by gabriel212: 5:35pm On Aug 08, 2014
Not all Nigerians are like that. unfortunately, the lady was indirectly asking you for tips before she can offer you help. All Nigerians are not like that!
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by redsun(m): 5:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
CaptainPhilip:

i changed it because my bank troubled me with it over time. my kind of job keeps you away from civilisation for long so that also contributed to my signature variations.

I think one is allowed several signatures,depending on where and the situation you are using it.The important thing is for you to be able to prove that it is yours with documentations.
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by Ayomax(m): 5:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
BrAkingNews: Can someone tell me ONE thing that is good about this empty entity called Nigeria? Seriously, I'm NOT proud to be a Nigerian.

I feel the same way
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by bigass(f): 5:37pm On Aug 08, 2014
YOU OWN STORY SEF GET TO MANY CORNERS

4 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by CaptainPhilip(m): 5:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
bigass: YOU OWN STORY SEF GET TO MANY CORNERS

what corners are you talking about madam?

that am not the owner of the passport or the lady saying they don't transfer signatures from old to new?

the lady in question claims she has NEVER seen where they transfer signatures from passport to passport.

BIGASS; did you even read the story at all?

7 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by teetee123: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2014
I believe the situation is the same every where, naija , europe, africa or US.
The website is made not work except you are an insider and if you ever pay
through it, they will frustrate you.
A friend who paid via online got to the Nigerian high commission (not UK), she was then
given an appointment of about 2 weeks which means travelling back to her base,costing her
about 500 US dollars twice ( travels and accommodation)
She eventually got the passport after 2 months.

Scene 2 - Nigerian way
Call the agents/ touts, they charge you 3 times the official price,they file the form,
secure a day for you to fly in to the capital, you do your data capturing that day,
you go back to your base and they send it by courier in few days or you get it in few days
if you can wait.

Scene 3 - Local way
The same story on the local level- if you do it yourself and pay official prices na wahala - 1 year
you may not get it, if you pay the officers rates na same day or worse 24 hours
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by armadeo(m): 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
Bigass where's your profile pic. angry angry angry

Meanwhile another thread hits front page on page one. Who's this new mod?
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by CaptainPhilip(m): 5:51pm On Aug 08, 2014
teetee123: I believe the situation is the same every where, naija , europe, africa or US.
The website is made not work except you are an insider and if you ever pay
through it, they will frustrate you.
A friend who paid via online got to the Nigerian high commission (not UK), she was then
given an appointment of about 2 weeks which means travelling back to her base,costing her
about 500 US dollars twice ( travels and accommodation)
She eventually got the passport after 2 months.

Scene 2 - Nigerian way
Call the agents/ touts, they charge you 3 times the official price,they file the form,
secure a day for you to fly in to the capital, you do your data capturing that day,
you go back to your base and they send it by courier in few days or you get it in few days
if you can wait.

Scene 3 - Local way
The same story on the local level- if you do it yourself and pay official prices na wahala - 1 year
you may not get it, if you pay the officers rates na same day or worse 24 hours

I totally disagree with you on the above because my wife just renewed her British passport and it was so hassle free and was ready within a week. She was so upset when Naija's one took the other turn. And even in naija people working at the UK and USA visa application centres don't take selfies in front of applicants so its not same everywhere as you claim.

1 Like

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by redsun(m): 5:53pm On Aug 08, 2014
There is suppose to be a subsidiary firm that collects the money and books the appointment.Although,at the time i dealt with them,i couldnt pay online because the online payment wasn't functional.So i had to go down to their office in west london too,not too far from the nigerian embassy,paid and got an appointment date to go back to the nigerian embassy which i found relatively easy getting everything done.I was impressed with the service.

1 Like

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by babyfun(f): 5:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
Noneroone: This is season 1. If they quarantine you in Lagos which is the season 2, you will see Goddy's elder brother.
You better stay back o, Nigeria has failed.
hahahaha.....am laughing like a mad girl and my colleagues in the office are asking if am okay but i can't answer because i shouldn't be on this site now. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

2 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by redsun(m): 5:56pm On Aug 08, 2014
Things happen,not just in naija.But i don't think it the righ time to travel to nigeria now.

1 Like

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by igbsam(m): 5:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Sorry for all the troubles you went through, but may i remind you that once you make your trip down to Naija, from the tarmac that u arrived, down to the security checks and before u enter naija fully, u will be subjected to alot of health checks, to see if you have Ebola and other security checks too. And also, if you are leaving the country and when you arrive back to london, i don't want to even mention the Health Checks you will have to face there since you just left an Ebola Country.

1 Like

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by CaptainPhilip(m): 6:03pm On Aug 08, 2014
igbsam: Sorry for all the troubles you went through, but may i remind you that once you make your trip down to Naija, from the tarmac that u arrived, down to the security checks and before u enter naija fully, u will be subjected to alot of health checks, to see if you have Ebola and other security checks too. And also, if you are leaving the country and when you arrive back to london, i don't want to even mention the Health Checks you will have to face there since you just left an Ebola Country.

I know all that but what can a black brother DO in all these.

I would say the earth has not been smiling on the black race recently.

**takes a deep breath and nurtures my tread to maturity.**
Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by onoja12: 6:03pm On Aug 08, 2014
the problem with Nigerians,is that they dont complain,if you know the name of the lady that attended to you,write a letter of complain,to the Minister of foreign affairs,copy the ambassador and the senate committee on foreign affairs as well as the house committee on diaspora and watch what would happen

CaptainPhilip: I have been hearing about the ill treatment nigerians dish out to fellow nigerians at the high commission but little did I know that mine was just round the corner.

my wife who is a British citizen needed to apply for a Nigerain passport so she could attend her younger brother's wedding in Nigeria in September. now her Naija passport had expired so we thought that renewal is better than naija visa. we hopped out to London after several failed attempts to make a payment and secure a session at the embassy. Early this morning we arrived at London and made our way to the High commission on 9 Northumberland avenue.

When we got to the place its the usual naija flag flying high. lol. We were directed to enter through the back door which had security men. They asked us of our appointment letter which we failed to present because we could not book it online. He said we can't go in because we do not have an appointment. We explained that the site was difficult to navigate so he asked us to go to charing cross and do it at a cyber cafe which as you might guess is owned by a naija guy.

As we sat under a tree to see tHrough the site again, a young man approached and asked us if we needed help with the application and as my wife was about giving him a listening ear, i immediately said (as a sharp guy) don't worry we are fine so he left. A minute a latter another man said to me that if we want to get anything out of our mission today we had better go to the cyber cafe with him. Apparently he was taking a woman there so we followed.

on our way there, we asked the man why everything about Nigeria is always different even in a western world. he said that its so because the money when paid goes to Nigerian immigration in naija then the application goes to the high commission thats why it very difficult to navigate. on getting to the cyber cafe we met others we had same problems like ours so it was on a first come first serve basis. we waited for like an hour plus with the server going off and on on periodic intervals. we came to a conclusion that the cyber cafe is an affiliate of the high commission cos they charge you so much for a little help they render.

at the end, we were able to fill out the form and pay online. they gave us appointment for the 20th of august but the bros said if we go there showing them evidence that we came from far they could attend to us today and that since my wife is changing her maiden name to mine we would have to pay a charge of £40 for a postal order. this was paid for before we went back to the high commission. on arrival they asked us to get another postal order for £20. reasons known to them alone.

just at the submission desk, the lady attending to my wife said that I need to sign the letter of consent for my wife's change of name and the signature on my passport has to reflect what am signing.

Now the issue is that I renewed my Naija passport last year and the new passport which was done in Port Harcourt still carried my old signature that they transferred to the new passport. The woman insisted that I sign the exact thing on my passport but I explained that I signed that signature in 2008 and had changed it since then. Men see insult. She said she had never seen where they transfer signature from an old passport to new. That am I sure this passport is mine? she started raising her voice and I became a centre of attention. felt so pissed and nothing I said was reasonable and imagine a woman bringing a man down in front of his wife. I felt so humiliated and belittled and that if I can't sign the old one then the application will not be accepted or she will have to apply for a visa meaning we start the whole process again. I had to relearn the old signature and tried to do it as it appears. they reluctantly accepted and allowed us to proceed to the biometric section.

At the biometric section we waited and waited till it eventually got to our turn. as you already know, it says switch off your phone before you enter but imagine one of the ladies attending to people taking selfie. its a shame.

to my greatest surprise, a staff asked one of the applicants renewing his passport if he wants to transfer his old signature to the new passport he is applying for and he said yes. It this point, I felt like going back to give that young woman a very dirty slap but remembered i was in London.

NAIJA WHICH WAY..

3 Likes

Re: Our Experience At Nigerian High Commission London by igbsam(m): 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
CaptainPhilip:

I know all that but what can a black brother DO in all these.

I would say the earth has not been smiling on the black race recently.

**takes a deep breath and nurtures my tread to maturity.**

In all things, life hasn't been fair on d black continent called Africa. We've been through so much since its existence. Plagues have been hunting us since the time of creation, right from the days of Egypt etc....We sef use our own hand dey cause wahala for ourselves. God help us sha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Safe For Indian Like Me To Visit Nigeria / Jet Fuel Now ₦670 Per Litre From ₦170 - Airline Operators Cry Out / Experience On Night Travelling, New Dimension To Robbery Due To Cashless Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.