Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Jonathan Advocates For A Young President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Advocates For A Young President (971 Views)

Dele Momodu One Of The Advocates For The Change We Have Today, Makes A U Turn;.. / President Jonathan Advocates For A Hall Of Shame In Nigeria / Jonathan Advocates Two-party System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by Ebubeslym(m): 8:49pm On Aug 09, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan has advocated for a
young President by seeking the removal of the
constitutional age limit of 40 years for a Nigerian
to become president.
NAN reports that, the President made the call in
Abuja on Saturday, while speaking at an
international youth conference, organised by the
Nigerian Young Professionals Forum (NYPF),
tagged: “Capacity for Change for a New Nigeria.”
President Goodluck Jonathan
Jonathan, who described the constitutional
provision as being discriminatory against young
Nigerians, who had the energy, ideas and other
qualities to lead the country to greatness tasked
the youth to forward a constitution amendment bill
to the National Assembly for the removal of all
discriminatory provisions in terms of age and
promised to support the move.
According to him, the call made by Moses Siasia,
Chairman and Founder of NYPF, for 35 per cent
affirmative action for the youth in governance was
also a limitation to the aspiration of the group.
The President explained that requesting for a
percentage amounted to self-limitation, insisting
that the youths had all that was needed to rule,
especially the numerical strength to get the highest
office in the country.
“The youths have no limit in terms of number and
capacity to lead this country to greatness. The
only limit is that for youths to contest as president,
they need to be 40. If Gen. Yakubu Gowon was
able to rule this country at 32, there is no reason
why the youths should not be given the chance.
So, don’t ask for per cent because by that request
you are limiting yourselves. I think what the youth
should do now is to come together, and I will
support you, and take a bill to the National
Assembly to amend some discriminatory
provisions of the constitution in terms of age,’’
President Jonathan further assured the youths of
his administration’s readiness to implement
policies and programmes that would continue to
harness their huge potential for national
development.
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by davitogreat(m): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2014
I like this. There are youth in Nigeria who have the vision to make this country great. Politics should not be reserved for the elderly.
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by Toosure70: 9:28pm On Aug 09, 2014
source
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by davitogreat(m): 9:34pm On Aug 09, 2014
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by danot1030: 9:40pm On Aug 09, 2014
I will take him serious if he not contest d 2015 presidential election to allow a younger person to contest otherwise I see it as political gimmick.
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by ThankGodEdeh(m): 9:52pm On Aug 09, 2014
Good one. The constitution is descrimatory in that regard and I am of the opinion that as far as one is up to 18 years of age, he/she sould be allowed to contest for any post in the cointry.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by ThankGodEdeh(m): 9:55pm On Aug 09, 2014
danot1030: I will take him serious if he not contest d 2015 presidential election to allow a younger person to contest otherwise I see it as political gimmick.
The constitution should amended first before your humble suggestion can be taken into cognisance.
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by Youngzedd(m): 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2014
danot1030: I will take him serious if he not contest d 2015 presidential election to allow a younger person to contest otherwise I see it as political gimmick.

GBAM!
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by Plus10(m): 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2014
I like this...
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by Brimmie(m): 11:07pm On Aug 09, 2014
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by mrvitalis(m): 7:20am On Nov 13, 2014
hmmm i smell lies
Re: Jonathan Advocates For A Young President by Emyben(m): 7:24am On Nov 13, 2014
Great news if its borne from sincerity. I hope he does this for the youths.

(1) (Reply)

Alleged Terror Sponsors: The Question Nigerians Must Ask And Demand For Answers / Minister Abba Moro In Fresh Scandal; Defrauding Nigerians Of Billions / Soldiers Reportedly Shoot Themselves To Avoid Deployment To Boko Haram Areas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.