Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Significance Of August Break In Igbo Land - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Significance Of August Break In Igbo Land (1716 Views)

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance / Osun States Celebrates Osogbo Festival Today 23rd Of August / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Significance Of August Break In Igbo Land by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 17, 2014
Note: this report has no proven fact,they are all based on hearsay

August, in Igboland is glorious..both male and female look on for it. Women on the other hand see it as a time to stop,discuss and plan in relation to thier personal and communal progress. This is greeted with several meetings amongst their peers in the community. Igbo's see august break as when the women go on such progressive meetings over a stipulated period of time while the men sit home and assume the wife's duties.

August break is most significant in the eastern part of Nigeria. When the rainy reason is halted over this period. humidity is lowest which means less disease outbreaks most accompanied by the rainy season. August break also has the most cloudy weather of the year which means women can go about thier meetings in peace

For the men, August break is when they recover lost times with their children brought about by their mother's absence.

The nigeria judiciary carefully placed their vacation period within this period to allow both male and female to go about august responsibilities as stated above. Businesses give special breaks to employee on request vacation periods during this period.

Am no writer but the significance of august meetings fascinates me and how everything plays itself in tune with this period is amazing...happy august everyone
Re: Significance Of August Break In Igbo Land by Arysexy(m): 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
Also the month igbos eat new yam

1 Like

Re: Significance Of August Break In Igbo Land by Gboliwe: 7:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
Arysexy: Also the month igbos eat new yam
not all igbos. I do know that my people in Abia state eat it in september. Early september. I also know that the Ogidi people in Anambra have their Nwafor in July.

1 Like

Re: Significance Of August Break In Igbo Land by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 17, 2014
Arysexy: Also the month igbos eat new yam
my village do theirs in july...

(1) (Reply)

Accelerationism / Pronounce This Efik Name / Traditional Weddings In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.