Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! (11475 Views)

Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" / My Wife Nags Anytime Am Broke, Please Advise / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 20, 2014
LaShawn: Good evening all.

I must say Thank you, to each and everyone of you. I appreciate you all Because I Never expected this level of support. I'm touched.

I have decided to visit a new clinic. I will give the update when I do that. I will also be shopping for comfit, Pampers and always, so I can chose which of the new styles I've Learnt works best for me. I am saving efes tampon suggestions for Later. Maybe when Im married. I'm just pscared of those pointy looking things. embarassed
I'll also be checking for the mat mat to curb night leakage.

About it being a growth responsible for this, I've been checked for that. Apart from the heavy flow, there is absolutely zero pain/cramp. It was when I was on birth control that I noticed I was having a few hours of back ache. And that happened on the day I was passing out clots (which was Because of the BC).

Now that I'm off the pill, I have zero cramps. No pain, No back ache and pain is a major part of endometrioses mostly abi?.

I have those liver-like clots too. The first time It happened was on the last day of my very first period at 14. While the flow wasn't heavy per se, there the clot was after the vaginal pain of it passing through my uterus?

I also thought it could a thyroid deficiency, which led me to put a drop of iodine on my skin every night at a point. That month, my period gushed with vengeance as usual.

Again, Thank you for your wishes...

Nb- at a point, I contemplated getting and wearing adult Pampers o. I kid you not....and talking of kids, hopefully the times not too far off...
But this Pampers style, How do you do it. is it worn like pant? or folded inside the pant.

No cramps?
I missed that
Most likely not endometriosis then,Endometriosis usually is accompanied by cramps and bloating

You may have a hormonal imbalance
Not making a diagnosis here
Sadly I don't know if Nigerian doctors are able to handle what it takes to have you regulated
All these years and not a diagnosis yet from a doctor
How frustrating is that

Are you able to travel out?
Our medical care in Nigeria is pathetic
I will hate for you to spend money going from place to place and seeing all these people that have no clue and no experience in this but only after your pocket
You need to see a competent and experienced gynecologist and endocrinologist ( doctors who specialize in glandular hormonal stuff) for a proper diagnosis and course of treatment.

My friend's father was treated for years for an illness in Nigeria,even had surgery only to come to America and it was a hormonal issue

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
Whatever be the case. Consult with another doctor
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 11:59pm On Aug 20, 2014
@ OP,do you bleed excessively when you cut yourself?

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by mentorandfriend(m): 12:01am On Aug 21, 2014
There are conditions that are responsible for your condition. Your condition is called menorrhagia. It could be due to uterine growth (fibroid) which is unlikely in your csse considering your age. It could be due to endometriosis (uterine tissues elsewhere), bleeding disorders and coagulopathies, etc. I recommend you see a correct gynaecologist. Not any gynaecologist, but a fellow. Supportivr treatment could be with NSAIDS as Ibuprofen, Oral contraceptives as progestins, Gonadotropin releasing hormones agonists, etc. Also remember to take your folate supplements and avoid warfarin and aspirin-like drugs. If you can afford a pelvic CT scan, it will be better for you than all those sonographic tests.
Cheers and relax. I think your problem has a solution.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by baby124: 12:01am On Aug 21, 2014
It's genetic for some people. With time the flow will reduce, though it will still be heavier than others. Also, don't be afraid to use tampon, it cannot disvirgin you, though I understand your fear. However tampon with liner's will make down there dry and cleaner than pad, which used to leave me with a wet and uncomfortable feeling. Make sure you drink a lot of water, it helps with the cramps and take iron supplements. Only take pain medicine when you feel pain, so you don't end up taking too much as all these medicines have side effects

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:02am On Aug 21, 2014
babyosisi:

No cramps?
I missed that
Most likely not endometriosis then,Endometriosis usually is accompanied by cramps and bloating

You may have a hormonal imbalance
Not making a diagnosis here
Sadly I don't know if Nigerian doctors are able to handle what it takes to have you regulated
All these years and not a diagnosis yet from a doctor
How frustrating is that

Are you able to travel out?
Our medical care in Nigeria is pathetic
I will hate for you to spend money going from place to place and seeing all these people that have no clue and no experience in this but only after your pocket
You need to see a competent and experienced gynecologist and endocrinologist ( doctors who specialize in glandular hormonal stuff) for a proper diagnosis and course of treatment.

My friend's father was treated for years for an illness in Nigeria,even had surgery only to come to America and it was a hormonal issue

Sadly can't travel out now. But I'll seek out good medical care. When I'm on leave, I'll travel for a third opinion at a teaching hospital on of my friends used.

She was producing milk without being pregnant and was diagnosed of a cyst and cervical adhesion. She has a baby now after hormonal treatment from there....

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

Sadly can't travel out now. But I'll seek out good medical care. When I'm on leave, I'll travel for a third opinion at a teaching hospital on of my friends used.

She was producing milk without being pregnant and was diagnosed of a cyst and cervical adhesion. She has a baby now after hormonal treatment from there....

Have you had surgery before?
Do you bleed excessively when you have a cut on your skin?

Teaching hospital is my preference too
Go to the major ones LUTH,UCH,UNTH and in that cadre
Not ekpoma university teaching hospital and the like

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:05am On Aug 21, 2014
babyosisi: @ OP,do you bleed excessively when you cut yourself?

Yes. Like a fountain
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

Yes. Like a fountain

OMG
I strongly suspect you have an inherited bleeding disorder
The commonest is called Von willibrands disease,there are other rarer ones

You need to go to a teaching hospital ASAP
These roadside gynecologists and doctors can't help you
There is treatment for it

The diagnosis is made from lab tests

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:08am On Aug 21, 2014
baby124: It's genetic for some people. With time the flow will reduce, though it will still be heavier than others. Also, don't be afraid to use tampon, it cannot disvirgin you, though I understand your fear. However tampon with liner's will make down there dry and cleaner than pad, which used to leave me with a wet and uncomfortable feeling. Make sure you drink a lot of water, it helps with the cramps and take iron supplements. Only take pain medicine when you feel pain, so you don't end up taking too much as all these medicines have side effects

I know that wet and uncomfortable feeling....still scared though. I'll start with the iron supplements too....
baby124: It's genetic for some people. With time the flow will reduce, though it will still be heavier than others. Also, don't be afraid to use tampon, it cannot disvirgin you, though I understand your fear. However tampon with liner's will make down there dry and cleaner than pad, which used to leave me with a wet and uncomfortable feeling. Make sure you drink a lot of water, it helps with the cramps and take iron supplements. Only take pain medicine when you feel pain, so you don't end up taking too much as all these medicines have side effects

I know that wet and uncomfortable feeling....still scared though. I'll start with the iron supplements too....
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:09am On Aug 21, 2014
jennykadry: Whatever be the case. Consult with another doctor

Owk
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by mentorandfriend(m): 12:11am On Aug 21, 2014
babyosisi:

OMG
The commonest is called Von willibrands disease
Your clinical acumen is intact. Yet her vaginal bleeding follows a cyclical pattern. What do you say to that?
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by baby124: 12:15am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

Trust me, I attempted it when I was a virgin and almost fainted in fear. But it's just the mind, it can't disvirgin you. Just relax your mind and use the applicator. In a second, it will be over. Once you try tampon, you will never go back. Buy the heaviest flow and invest in a good one so there are no issues like toxic shock. Playtex super plus is very good.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by baby124: 12:16am On Aug 21, 2014
How long does the period last by the way
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 21, 2014
mentorandfriend: Your clinical acumen is intact. Yet her vaginal bleeding follows a cyclical pattern. What do you say to that?

Many girls with von willibrands are diagnosed when they start their periods and the classic symptom is excessive menstrual bleeding
This is a girl who says she bleeds like a fountain when she cuts herself,it pretty much gives it away
I hardly ever talk of medical stuff online because one cannot make a diagnosis of a patient they never examined or tested so I keep away

But I am passionate about menorrhagia as a former sufferer.

There is medical help out there for VW

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by baby124: 12:19am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

Yes. Like a fountain
Maybe your blood is having issues clotting. My own does not have that issue and my heavy periods are simply hereditary. With age though, they have reduced and the pain has reduced too. But in the place of that I am having serious nausea and fatigue these days.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:20am On Aug 21, 2014
babyosisi:

OMG
The commonest is called Von willibrands disease,there are other rarer ones

You need to go to a teaching hospital ASAP
These roadside gynecologist can't help you
There is treatment for it

But my gums don't bleed and I've Never had a nose bleed. Just that I noticed when I get wounded, seems to bleed quite a lot. Could also be the severity of the wound as Ive been in some situations where i was wounded quite badly. I put it down to having a lot of blood. #undecided.

Because When I gave blood for a friends thesis test, the little blood jar pretty much filled up without any hassle while my roommate with very light flow could only give a few drops as her veins refused to cooperate abi whether the blood was dried ni.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by mentorandfriend(m): 12:21am On Aug 21, 2014
babyosisi:

Many girls with von willibrands are diagnosed when they start their periods and the classic symptom is excessive bleeding
This is a girl who says she bleeds like a fountain when she cuts herself,it pretty much gives it away

I hardly talk of medical stuff online because one cannot make a diagnosis of a patient they never examined or tested so I keep away

But I am passionate about menorrhagia as a former sufferer
You're correct. Making a diagnosis without seeing the patient and physically examininh him/her is not in the interest of the patient. Thought though you were a medical doctor or something like that.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:23am On Aug 21, 2014
mentorandfriend: There are conditions that are responsible for your condition. Your condition is called menorrhagia. It could be due to uterine growth (fibroid) which is unlikely in your csse considering your age. It could be due to endometriosis (uterine tissues elsewhere), bleeding disorders and coagulopathies, etc. I recommend you see a correct gynaecologist. Not any gynaecologist, but a fellow. Supportivr treatment could be with NSAIDS as Ibuprofen, Oral contraceptives as progestins, Gonadotropin releasing hormones agonists, etc. Also remember to take your folate supplements an[b]d avoid warfarin and aspirin-like drugs.[/b] If you can afford a pelvic CT scan, it will be better for you than all those sonographic tests.
Cheers and relax. I think your problem has a solution.

Good advice
Poster please avoid aspirin and and ibuprophen containing pain medications
They will make you bleed more

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:24am On Aug 21, 2014
baby124:
Maybe your blood is having issues clotting. My own does not have that issue and my heavy periods are simply hereditary. With age though, they have reduced and the pain has reduced too. But in the place of that I am having serious nausea and fatigue these days.

I feel nauseous alot of time. Have to eat lots of pepper not to....
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by baby124: 12:25am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

I feel nauseous alot of time. Have to eat lots of pepper not to....
Chewing gum, little sprite(because sugar makes my cramps hell) or chewing raw garri helps my nausea

See your doctor and let him know that you bleed quite heavily in wounds or when blood is drawn so that they have a full picture of what is going on. I have very thick blood IMO. So don't have problems with clots. After how many days after your period does your blood starts to clot
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 12:27am On Aug 21, 2014
Ha! Is Hsg that test where a microscope is inserted in your womanliness ? Never in a million years!! Have three people tell me their experience and they all agree that the pain is INTENSE. Deeprooted, uterus pain.

#shivers. NAH
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

But my gums don't bleed and I've Never had a nose bleed. Just that I noticed when I get wounded, seems to bleed quite a lot. Could also be the severity of the wound as Ive been in some situations where i was wounded quite badly. I put it down to having a lot of blood. #undecided.

Because When I gave blood for a friends thesis test, the little blood jar pretty much filled up without any hassle while my roommate with very light flow could only give a few drops as her veins refused to cooperate abi whether the blood was dried ni.

Just go to a good hospital and have the blood test done to rule out von willebrands and if positive,It will be good to have your other family members get tested too
Some people with VW never know they have it till they go for surgery and bleed out on the operating table if the surgeon is unprepared for that .

I wish you lived here in the USA!!
Many patient control it with a simple nasal spray

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:51am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn:

VW is not the only bleeding disorder that can be associated with menorrhagia, it's the most common one however. Other bleeding disorders not characterized by nosebleeds could also be responsible. Your prolonged clotting time could be a very important clue, platelet dysfunction, maybe!

as everyone here has said, go and see a good gynecologist.

baby124: How long does the period last by the way

this question is very important too, do you have intermenstrual bleeding too?
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Ishilove: 3:22am On Aug 21, 2014
jennykadry: Before a doctor charts down birth control pill on a prescription pad, they should make sure you do not have fibroids cos the worst thing you can do to yourself and to fibroids is, feed fibroids with oestrogen-BC pill.

Assuming thats the cause of the heavy bleeding
True that. Its like feeding a plant with fertilizer. It will make it grow BIG
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Ishilove: 3:31am On Aug 21, 2014
LaShawn: Ha! Is Hsg that test where a microscope is inserted in your womanliness ? Never in a million years!! Have three people tell me their experience and they all agree that the pain is INTENSE. Deeprooted, uterus pain.

#shivers. NAH
Are you afraid of pain? Don't forget you will still go through labour pains. grin

Be that as it may, it is only a gyna who recommends HSG. People just don't walk into a lab and ask for a HSG test so don't worry tongue
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by soulglo: 6:46am On Aug 21, 2014
Some women just have heavy flow. Do you use tampons? I think you should consider tampons and a light pad for your heavy days. As long as the doctors says you're healthy you just have to focus on managing your flow.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 7:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
Hi all. cheesy

Couldn't make it to the clinic today. It's still in my plans though. Well, my period lasts 5 days. The 5th and 6th day is more or less of just spotting.

Like I started this cycle Last Monday and I slept without any pad Last night. Also went out and was good.

Flow was OK on Monday, gushing heavily on Tuesday like a tap, better on Wednesday as in still heavy But more of flow not gushing, more better on Thursday. By Friday, I was No longer in fear of being stained.

My greatest fear was that Tuesday. I was sitting and stood up and felt the blood rushing out. If I hadn't sat down again, waiting on one butt cheek for the padding to absorb it, I would have started dripping on the floor Because the rush of the menstrual blood was more than the rate the padding could absorb.

Even thinking about it makes my heart beat fast. What if?

In a hall filled with people?
Gosh!
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Bootybuttchic(f): 10:31pm On Aug 23, 2014
@op i do have mad heavy flows too...not untill i was just jokingly doing sit ups with my freind some times ago ,which was 3days to my period time,i noticed my blood didnt flow tok much like usuall,it was too normal cheesy ,i was like "is this me"

so i learnt to use dat trick to lessen the blood.......

do work out few days before ur period (preferably sit ups) and see how it goes for you
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by EfemenaXY: 7:52am On Aug 24, 2014
LaShawn: Hi all. cheesy
Couldn't make it to the clinic today. It's still in my plans though. Well, my period lasts 5 days. The 5th and 6th day is more or less of just spotting.
Like I started this cycle Last Monday and I slept without any pad Last night. Also went out and was good.
Flow was OK on Monday, gushing heavily on Tuesday like a tap, better on Wednesday as in still heavy But more of flow not gushing, more better on Thursday. By Friday, I was No longer in fear of being stained.
My greatest fear was that Tuesday. I was sitting and stood up and felt the blood rushing out. If I hadn't sat down again, waiting on one butt cheek for the padding to absorb it, I would have started dripping on the floor Because the rush of the menstrual blood was more than the rate the padding could absorb.
Even thinking about it makes my heart beat fast. What if?
In a hall filled with people?
Gosh!

Lol!

You just perfectly described how mine is! Only thing is, I still won't wear white undies till Sunday to avoid having any brown "biro" stains if you get my drift. So on Saturday (the sixth day), I use the thinnest form of pantyliners, just for that extra feeling of comfort smiley

I hope you know you are super, super fertile? Better not make any "mistakes" even while married else you go born pikin tire like moi cheesy cheesy

I've got an aunt (much older than moi) in exactly the same boat as me...and even in her mid 50's she gave both to twins. When hubby heard, he was like..."I fear this your family o! Una nor dey reach menopause?" grin
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by EfemenaXY: 7:55am On Aug 24, 2014
Bootybuttchic: @op i do have mad heavy flows too...not untill i was just jokingly doing sit ups with my freind some times ago ,which was 3days to my period time,i noticed my blood didnt flow tok much like usuall,it was too normal cheesy ,i was like "is this me"
so i learnt to use dat trick to lessen the blood.......
do work out few days before ur period (preferably sit ups) and see how it goes for you

Are you serious??

Men, I gat to try this one out wella - thanks! smiley
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:06am On Aug 24, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Are you serious??

Men, I gat to try this one out wella - thanks! smiley
yes i am.....u knw ecercise is. more like gainfull stress....and menses and stress are enemies......so it reduces blood,.....works for me,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Couples Squatting With Parents: Your Experience And Take On It? / Your Mum Or Your Wife: Who Should Sit At The Front Seat Of Your Car? / Should Marital Advice Be Taken From An Unmarried(single) Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.