Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! (11480 Views)

Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" / My Wife Nags Anytime Am Broke, Please Advise / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Godmystrength: 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
snazzylove:

Yes dear. I fix it like a pad. (Size 5 pampers) just get all these panties that looks like short but tight on u, very comfy. I can sit for hours without bothering to watch my back. My room mate back then in school introduced me to it, at first I was like, whaaaat? Pampers? But I tried it once, and since then I've been happy. No stain, no check grin.
I guess i will give this a trial. I actually thought about something like that but in my mind i was like ''what the Hell, don't even say it out or try it!!!!''
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by AriDsexy(f): 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2014
LaShawn:

Thank you. I've gone the ibuprofen route before...didn't work too. I also know when It's about to start Because my period is very very regular.
I can calculate and know exactly when it would start.

My problem is the volume when it starts. Like this cycle started yesterday, so I was well prepared before going for work TODAY.

But is there a way to ever be prepared for a period that feels and acts like a tap turned on? If I'm seated and I stand up, it feels like It's going to overflow and run down my legs, Sorry TMI.
What does it profit a woman to be well prepared and all But blood starts running down her legs and dripping on the floor on standing up to go n get changed?

I can't even use pads at this point. They get soaked before you say 1-2. sad
I had this same issue and kept complaining to my mum but it changed a whole lot when an elderly aunt mixed dry gin[d one with green bottle]and that small long black stuff used in cooking peppersoup,grind it and pour inside the dry gin,allow it mix well then drink..its something we all know,then see how it goes.I really understand what ur going thru because I've been there.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
Wow. I'm not alone. Nice suggestions. So we with heavy flows are super fertile?? Nice! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by obyrich(m): 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
Hmmm. What women go through. Sorry oh.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Saraha1(f): 3:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
obyrich: Hmmm. What women go through. Sorry oh.
woman wrapper. wetin you find come this thread?

Lol
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Godmystrength: 4:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
Saraha1: woman wrapper. wetin you find come this thread?
Lol
Maybe he came on be half of his friends/sisters/gfs/wifey etc grin grin
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
snazzylove: Heavy flow seems like almost everybodys story grin. Am not exempted too. Lol. B4 I started having kids it was really heavy (not that it has reduced now) but I've found a way of managing it, at least d first 3 days which torments seriously cry how bad it is? I don't use pads or tampoons, I use diapers cheesy. Yes oo. Pampers to be precise. I don't want stories, or always having to watch my back. I change like 2wice b4 d day runs out. Its very comfortable.
@lashawn, if the doctors says there is no serious health condition, (fibroid, endometriosis, etc) then relax and be managing it the best way you can. Hopefully by the time you start having kids it will become a story 4 u.
Cheers!
E no easy cry

Pampers
My Lord!
Then you will have to wear flowing gowns abi?

God bless you ladies
The things we go through

I feel for all you ladies because I went through this nightmare
I had to acquire black A line skirts

For those who think childbirth makes it better,not really
My heavy flow started after my last child was born and continued and got worse with cramping
I am talking fresh blood pouring out sometimes with large clots like pieces of fresh liver
The first period after childbirth was a big shocker
I remember while driving to work,I had to sit sideways on one butt cheek for fear of staining

I had to have what they call uterine ablation plus a laparoscopy to zap off all the endometrial tissues in my uterus and also on my intestines and now my period only lasts 3 days and is light with very manageable cramps

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by KMB: 5:29pm On Aug 20, 2014
LaShawn: Please this is not for the squeamish. If you are, kindly click on your back button. If you also don't have a positive comment, you don't have to leave any.

I posted this here Because of the mothers who I know might have one or two advice. If You're about to suggest I visit the health section, I did more than that. I visited a hospital.

I started menstruating when I was in SS2. I'm an only girl, so there wasn't any other person to compare blood loss volume to.
The first time, the blood stopped on the third day, and over time, I was pretty much able to manage things well that my roommates thought I hadn't started menstrual periods. It was light, convenient and I didn't have to do anything outside my daily routine.

Fast forward to today. I was at a meeting and stood up and I felt blood gush out so much that I had to collapse back on my seat, paralyzed with the thought of it seeping through my pants and running down my legs into a bloody puddle at my feet. Actually, that has happened before, just that nobody was around to see it.

It was/is that bad and has been for some years.

Immediately one period finishes without any serious accident, I find myself thinking of the other one to come, wondering if that would be the time of disgrace.

I am honestly tired, physically and emotionally. I went to a gynecologist who placed me on birth control which he said would reduce it a good 60%. It didn't work. If anything, I started getting cramps which I normally don't have.

I have done scans-Twice. The doctor said there isn't anything on the result that should be making me bleed so. One of the result had a functional cyst, which was Because I was ovulating.

I have done high vajay swab twice. All they found were normal epithelial cells.

I was supposed to go back to the doctor and give feedback, But I moved to another.

I'm seriously thinking of having sex, Maybe it will afford me the opportunity of being able to tame this issue with tampax/tampon. Ive never been able to do that because ive not had sex before.
Because as it is,.I feel like I'm running out of options. I don't want that day to come, that I would have to run for the bathroom with blood dripping all over. I'm just tired. And sick.

Like today, I soaked through my menstrual padding, through my pant, and then my khaki short short that was under my skirt.

Mod, Please DO NOT take this to front page

Try herbs called Vitex capsules also called agnus castus.
Find a herbal store ir pharmacy
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
The other thing ladies
If you bleed that heavily,you could also become anemic
It will be good to add iron and folic acid supplement

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
KMB:

Try herbs called Vitex capsules also called agnus castus.
Find a herbal store ir pharmacy

She needs an experienced and reputed gynecologist
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by blank(f): 5:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
I have learnt new things today.

Just wanted to point out that tampons may not help you.

I used to have your mindset till i started using them. They are good for at best 2 hrs (i mean maximum strength ones).
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
@Lashawn you should check your thyroid.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
Have you checked yourself for fibroids? Ask your doctor to prescribe you some tranexamic acid tablets. You only take those when you are on your period beginning from the moment you spot the blood(first day of menstrual flow) until the last day. You will bleed less very less...like normal.

Also get yourself some iron tablets....and most importantly get your doctor to give you a referral for a full blood count. Most heavy bleeders suffer from iron deficiency

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Ishilove: 8:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
LaShawn, have you tried Tranexamic acid? It works wonders. You can google it.

Also, did your doctor recommend an HSG for you? I have a colleague who was/is facing a similar issue. Her bleeding was so terrible that she could soak through 5 pads a day. Well, she went to the clinic and did a pelvic scan, nothing came out. Not satisfied, she moved to a gynaecologist who sent her to do an HSG, which is an xray of the interior of the uterus. It turns out that she has fibroids. Fibroids cause such satanically heavy flows, but I pray it isn't your portion. It could just be your hormones acting up. But for the heavy flow, I suggest you ask your doctor to prescribe Tranexamic acid. It works in about 80% of menorrhagia cases.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
@op, did you go to tell my consultant to give me 'excessive menstrual bleeding' as a topic to work on? angry

Anyways, i found this on the internet, quite lay-man enough to go through
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menorrhagia/basics/definition/con-20021959
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by KMB: 8:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
babyosisi:

She needs an experienced and reputed gynecologist

I guess that's your opinion, the above is mine.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by KMB: 8:28pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ishilove: LaShawn, have you tried Tranexamic acid? It works wonders. You can google it.

Also, did your doctor recommend an HSG for you? I have a colleague who was/is facing a similar issue. Her bleeding was so terrible that she could soak through 5 pads a day. Well, she went to the clinic and did a pelvic scan, nothing came out. Not satisfied, she moved to a gynaecologist who sent her to do an HSG, which is an xray of the interior of the uterus. It turns out that she has fibroids. Fibroids cause such satanically heavy flows, but I pray it isn't your portion. It could just be your hormones acting up. But for the heavy flow, I suggest you ask your doctor to prescribe Tranexamic acid. It works in about 80% of menorrhagia cases.

You are right it works but the side effects are not exactly wonderful.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by KMB: 8:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
jennykadry: Have you checked yourself for fibroids? Ask your doctor to prescribe you some tranexamic acid tablets. You only take those when you are on your period beginning from the moment you spot the blood(first day of menstrual flow) until the last day. You will bleed less very less...like normal.

Also get yourself some iron tablets....and most importantly get your doctor to give you a referral for a full blood count. Most heavy bleeders suffer from iron deficiency

All the best.

So true. Your iron level needs to be maintained, to avoid fatigue.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Idowuogbo(f): 8:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
jennykadry: Have you checked yourself for fibroids? Ask your doctor to prescribe you some tranexamic acid tablets. You only take those when you are on your period beginning from the moment you spot the blood(first day of menstrual flow) until the last day. You will bleed less very less...like normal.

All the best.
*nods in agreement*

So true...
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Ishilove: 8:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
KMB:

You are right it works but the side effects are not exactly wonderful.
What side effects?
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by KMB: 9:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ishilove:
What side effects?

It depends on the individual however among a long list Stroke, Deep vein thrombosis (dvt)

Not ideal for a regular air traveller
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Ishilove: 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
babyosisi:

I had to have what they call uterine ablation plus a laparoscopy to zap off all the endometrial tissues in my uterus and also on my integstines and now my period only lasts 3 days and is light with very manageable cramps
I believe this option is permanent and is not recommended for women who haven't finished having children?

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Ishilove: 9:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
KMB:

It depends on the individual however among a long list Stroke, Deep vein thrombosis (dvt)

Not ideal for a regular air traveller
Okay I've checked. That's true, but who has stroke in their 20s?? It is also not recommended for people who are about to have surgery because it would mean being sedentary for a prolonged period of time. Bottomline is if you want to take tranexamic acid, make sure you are living an active lifestyle.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Kanwulia: 9:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
HMMMMMMM

ONE WORD ONLY. . . .ENDOMETRIOSIS!!!!! A WOMAN'S curse! cry
The most SCARY SHYTE!
Who nor go nor know wetin e be to bleed like COW wey dem take cutlass BUTCHER!

I nor fit put mouth for this kind trauma o!
Oooooooh Noooooooooo!!!!
This na life or death? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by KMB: 9:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ishilove:
Okay I've checked. That's true, but who has stroke in their 20s?? It is also not recommended for people who are about to have surgery because it would mean being sedentary for a prolonged period of time. Bottomline is if you want to take tranexamic acid, make sure you are living an active lifestyle.

Any age can have a stroke and moreover tranexamic can increase your chances of having one. It resolves the issue of heavy menstrual flow but there is always a risk.

Read this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2177766/Jennie-Cosh-Student-20-suffers-shock-stroke-dinner-parents.html

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by PearlyJay(f): 9:34pm On Aug 20, 2014
You have to see a Gynaecologist. I once had a colleague whose excessive. Flow was caused by fibroid. She always ran to change. We lost her when she went for surgery to remove the fibroid. So dear a doctor will guide you through a comprehensive test then you can take it from there. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by PearlyJay(f): 9:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
You have to see a Gynaecologist. I once had a colleague whose excessive flow was caused by fibroid. She always ran to the ladies to change. We lost her when she went for surgery to remove the fibroid. So dear a doctor will guide you through a comprehensive test then you can take it from there. Good luck
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by obyrich(m): 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
Saraha1: woman wrapper. wetin you find come this thread?

Lol
Hmmm.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ishilove:
I believe this option is permanent and is not recommended for women who haven't finished having children?

You are correct,I was done with kids when I had the procedure but it is the only thing that could stop the suffering outside of a hysterectomy and menopause.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kanwulia: HMMMMMMM

ONE WORD ONLY. . . .ENDOMETRIOSIS!!!!! A WOMAN'S curse! cry
The most SCARY SHYTE!
Who nor go nor know wetin e be to bleed like COW wey dem take cutlass BUTCHER!

I nor fit put mouth for this kind trauma o!
Oooooooh Noooooooooo!!!!
This na life or death? undecided

Something kanwulia and I agree on lol
Once I read her symptoms and read that her scans picked up nothing,that pretty much narrowed it down
The whole story had endometriosis written all over it at the top of the differentials

If she wants children,this is the time to have them without delay.
Because the condition causes infertility over time and the treatments further decrease the chances of conception

1 Like

Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by LaShawn: 11:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
Good evening all.

I must say Thank you, to each and everyone of you. I appreciate you all Because I Never expected this level of support. I'm touched.

I have decided to visit a new clinic. I will give the update when I do that. I will also be shopping for comfit, Pampers and always, so I can chose which of the new styles I've Learnt works best for me. I am saving efes tampon suggestions for Later. Maybe when Im married. I'm just pscared of those pointy looking things. embarassed
I'll also be checking for the mat mat to curb night leakage.

About it being a growth responsible for this, I've been checked for that. Apart from the heavy flow, there is absolutely zero pain/cramp. It was when I was on birth control that I noticed I was having a few hours of back ache. And that happened on the day I was passing out clots (which was Because of the BC).

Now that I'm off the pill, I have zero cramps. No pain, No back ache and pain is a major part of endometrioses mostly abi?.

I have those liver-like clots too. The first time It happened was on the last day of my very first period at 14. While the flow wasn't heavy per se, there the clot was after the vaginal pain of it passing through my uterus?

I also thought it could a thyroid deficiency, which led me to put a drop of iodine on my skin every night at a point. That month, my period gushed with vengeance as usual.

Again, Thank you for your wishes...

Nb- at a point, I contemplated getting and wearing adult Pampers o. I kid you not....and talking of kids, hopefully the times not too far off...
But this Pampers style, How do you do it. is it worn like pant? or folded inside the pant.
Re: Please Advise! Heavy Menstrual Period!!! by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 20, 2014
Before a doctor charts down birth control pill on a prescription pad, they should make sure you do not have fibroids cos the worst thing you can do to yourself and to fibroids is, feed fibroids with oestrogen-BC pill.

Assuming thats the cause of the heavy bleeding

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

His Wife Always Ran away when ever they Exchange words (For Married people) / Couples Squatting With Parents: Your Experience And Take On It? / Man Shot Dead His VH1 Star Wife for cheating And Then Killed Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.