Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,109 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo (2425 Views)

Akanu Ibiam Int’l Airport: South-East Stakeholders Allege Sabotage / Understanding The Gang Up Against Akanu Ibiam Intl Airport Enugu / ''MERE COMMISSIONER'': NEW APPELATION FOR VP OSINBAJO with photo evidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2008
Photo of the Day: 21st Century Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu Print E-mail
Written by Uche Nworah
Tuesday, 21 October 2008

Photo of the Day: 21st Century Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu

By Uche Nworah
The guys at FAAN who run Nigeria’s airports really deserve a resounding ovation. Unlike what Bill Gates and his likes will have us all believe about the beauty of life in a digital age, the FAAN guys are actually helping Planet Earth by sticking to blackboard and white chalk to announce flight information in the year 2008 at the Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu.

You can see the beauty of their logic. This method of information is cost effective and environmentally friendly. No energy bills to worry about and no equipment breakdowns. The board could easily be sourced from the many trees lining the Emene road, while the chalk could easily be sourced from the many chalk pits in and around the state.

This wonderful idea is also in the long term interest of the tax payers as it presents limited opportunities for awarding of contracts to electronic board manufacturing companies who could easily rip tax payers off with over-inflated contract sums to provide a service that costs nothing in its present state to provide.

Perhaps this should be the model for the future across all Nigerian airports, and who says we can not even export the same to other countries and exhibit a prototype at major fairs around the world. If only the Heathrow Terminal 5 (T5) project mangers had bothered to visit

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/uche-nworah/photo-of-the-day-21st-century-akanu-ibiam-airport.html
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by SkyBlue1: 5:36pm On Oct 22, 2008
LOOOL  cheesy  cheesy
Kudos, Nigeria is going green. I am sure some people will now come and run their mouth on this thread without praising the innitiative. I hope this does not force the price of chalk up because certainly more airports are going to want to follow this lead, LOL.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Kobojunkie: 5:47pm On Oct 22, 2008
Sigh!!!! Sigh!! Sigh!!!!

I guess we can all say that NEPA/PHCN is also contributing to making Nigeria one of the greenest nations on the planet by limiting electricity supply. While we are serving out awards, we should not forget NEPA/PHCN for all it's good work in pushing the GREEN AWARENESS
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by bawomolo(m): 6:07pm On Oct 22, 2008
ewe o, we better not let jakumo get his hands/sight on this grin
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Ndipe(m): 9:07pm On Oct 22, 2008
That one be say grammar go full board todaycheesy

bawomolo:

ewe o, we better not let jakumo get his hands/sight on this  grin
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by agaba123(m): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2008
this is ingenuity at its best

Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by bawomolo(m): 11:17pm On Oct 22, 2008
energy conservation at it's finest
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Sammy107d(m): 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2008
honestly, i dont like it. isnt there any energy conserving technology we can create?
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by DisGuy: 1:14am On Oct 23, 2008
Sammy107_d:

honestly, i don't like it. isnt there any energy conserving technology we can create?

this one nko? don't you think a lot of effort went into it.   .   .

this in the same state that boast of international golf resort
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Sammy107d(m): 2:13am On Oct 23, 2008
for real, is everybody just being sarcastic or,
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by DisGuy: 2:27am On Oct 23, 2008
Sammy107_d:

for real, is everybody just being sarcastic or,

nope, dead serious, just think about it, they wont have to waste money on electricity
and they will earn some greenie points from Friends of the Earth
and the most important thing is, the writer wont lose his job due to technology wink
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by plusQueen: 2:30am On Oct 23, 2008
the only thing left is to have the town crier with a gong making announcements
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by PepERSprAY: 2:33am On Oct 23, 2008
The are doing repairs at the airport according to news and that may be a temporary board.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by plusQueen: 2:45am On Oct 23, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nigeria: Ekweremadu Hails FG for Upgrading Enugu Airport

16 November 2007
Posted to the web 16 November 2007

Moses John
Abuja

Deputy president of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, has applauded the federal government for its decision to upgrade the Akanu Ibiam Airport in Enugu to an international airport.

A statement issued by the office of the minister of transportation, Diezani Alison-Madueke, said President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua had given approval for the transformation of the airport to an international one.

A statement signed by the special adviser (media) to the deputy president of the Senate, Mr. Paul Odenyi, quotes him as saying that the approval was in fulfilment of an earlier promise made by the president to the South-East caucus of the Senate, which met with him at the State House, Abuja. The caucus, at the meeting, had enumerated key developmental needs of the zone, including the lack of an international airport in the area.

He explained that the government's decision has helped to remedy obvious lopsidedness in terms of the location of major airports in the country. Before now, each zone, except the South-East, had one or more international airports.

Ekweremadu said: "For me, from the South-East, it is a fulfilment of the hope and desire of the people. Prior to this time, we had international airports across the country but there was none in the South-East, but following representation by the people of the South-East over the years, we the elected representatives, especially the senators, sometime in July, met with the president and presented the request to him. He expressed regret that the Enugu Airport was not an international airport, and so, following that, we formally requested through a letter that the Enugu Airport be made an international airport.

"I want to use this opportunity to express my gratitude to the president and all my colleagues in the Senate for taking the bold steps that have now been approved by the president, and, as I speak to you now, I believe that all the people from the South-East all over the world have come to rejoice because, henceforth, our people will stop passing through Lagos, Abuja and other international airports to reach our place.

"The president had stated that it will be done in three years, but I hope that the people of the South-East, especially the government of Enugu State, will work in partnership with the federal government to ensure that this is achieved in a year or two. I look forward to the day when our people will join the rest of the country to have equal access to the facilities and infrastructure, especially when it comes to transportation, because we are a mobile people.

"The Enugu international airport will provide landing not only for the people of the state but for others in the region, the South-South and the North-central zones. It will be easier for people from Benue, Kogi, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Delta States to land in Enugu than to travel all the way from Lagos or Abuja".

God,I hope this will come to pass o.
Good riddance to flying to Lagos or Abuja.
This will be music to the ears of any Igbo man or woman since they say we are the most travelled Nigerians and yet we are subjected to passing through Lagos and Abuja to land on our soil.
May it happen soon,Lord Jesus!
They can have murtala mohammed and Nnamdi Azikiwe.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Sammy107d(m): 2:49am On Oct 23, 2008
em @ dis guy, at least cant they use these white boards and markers instead of chalk? its like Ojo Madueke saying bicycle for all in 2006 to conserve energy.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Sammy107d(m): 2:50am On Oct 23, 2008
hun??
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by plusQueen: 2:51am On Oct 23, 2008
Sammy107_d:

em @ this guy, at least can't they use these white boards and markers instead of chalk? its like Ojo Madueke saying bicycle for all in 2006 to conserve energy.

Na you go replenish the markers when they"finish" ? grin
chalk is a natural resource my dear.
If the white factory made  one finishes, we have nzu
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by dayokanu(m): 3:06am On Oct 23, 2008
You never see where dem take candle light the runway?
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by bawomolo(m): 3:15am On Oct 23, 2008
dayokanu:

You never see where them take candle light the runway?

them cele candles dey illuminate pass oyinbo one. tekinology cheesy

PepERSprAY:

The are doing repairs at the airport according to news and that may be a temporary board.

naija backup system is a chalkboard, saves cost and man power.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Sammy107d(m): 3:15am On Oct 23, 2008
dayokanu:

ok now. lipsrsealed
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by dayokanu(m): 3:17am On Oct 23, 2008
How many years does repairs take?
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by PepERSprAY: 3:30am On Oct 23, 2008
PH international airport repairs took over two years.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by ifyalways(f): 4:45am On Oct 23, 2008
so how many more years do we have to go?
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Kobojunkie: 4:51am On Oct 23, 2008
dayokanu:

roflmao!!! Why aren't these people being recognized?? Why aren't they winning the nobel price for such genius??
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by blackspade(m): 5:05am On Oct 23, 2008
Why do we even produce oil in Nigeria? Why can't we put our oil to good use like the gulf countries, or Angola? I'm disappointed at this, but not in the slightest surprised. undecided
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by udezue(m): 9:14am On Oct 23, 2008
Dear Lord has it gotten this terrible? I mean I knew things were messed up but wow freaking chalk board for an Airport. wow

I have nothing else to say for now.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Ndipe(m): 2:01am On Oct 24, 2008
Dis Guy:

this one nko? don't you think a lot of effort went into it.   .   .

this in the same state that boast of international golf resort

Akwa Ibom and Enugu are two different states.
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:35am On Oct 24, 2008
And one is supposed to enter Nigerian Airplane shocked
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:38am On Oct 24, 2008
plus_Queen:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God,I hope this will come to pass o.
Good riddance to flying to Lagos or Abuja.
This will be music to the ears of any Igbo man or woman since they say we are the most travelled Nigerians and yet we are subjected to passing through Lagos and Abuja to land on our soil.
May it happen soon,Lord Jesus!
They can have murtala mohammed and Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Why not come to Aminu Kano Airport in the meantime grin grin
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by blacksta(m): 8:31am On Oct 24, 2008
This reminds me of the Good Old secondary schools days. We definately going backwards in that country
Re: 21th Century Akanu Ibiam Airpot Enugu With Photo by Eziachi: 2:16pm On Oct 24, 2008
You have to laugh sometimes with retrogressive Nigerian project.
But the joke is not on the chalk guy or lady but on the whole of Igbo political elite society.
Any man who doesn't know when he was the bout of a joke, need his head examined.

(1) (Reply)

Senate To Move Against Illegal Migration / Bankole, Daniel, Abiola’s daughter’s name not on INEC’s list / Efcc: The Toothless Bulldog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.